Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly Gears of War is fine, it's just one of those deals where something inventive at the time got run into the ground afterwards after it became a fad

Yeah there's what? 5 or 6 these games? I don't see any way they can keep the formula fresh and entertaining for all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rarity posted:

No one in the West outside of this forum even knows what SMT is

Oh come on, it's well known!

It's that weird Persona spinoff with no heart, right? :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

Only Persona is as big as FF and DQ, SMT main is still too niche to be in the trinity. Pokémon fits better imo

Rarity posted:

thats why it was the jpn big three not the west big three

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will say, smt5 is perfect gameplay for me but man they didn't have to make the characters so boring

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I will say, smt5 is perfect gameplay for me but man they didn't have to make the characters so boring

stux is about to blast you with a bazooka

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rarity posted:

ok

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
how did soul hackers 2 turn out

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The characters are cool, I liked Khonsu’s story and all of the rest of the gods were pretty entertaining too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

The characters are cool, I liked Khonsu’s story and all of the rest of the gods were pretty entertaining too

this. who care sabotu the moron humans, its all about the gods and demons and in 5 theyre going all out and you know what? its poggers as gently caress .

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i with the neutral guys got more screentime, and also that tsukuyomi himself wasn't so incredibly boring, even if the future he's pitching is cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

oateswills

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Relax Or DIE posted:

how did soul hackers 2 turn out

Decent if somewhat repetitive budget dungeon crawler

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Soul Hackers 2 was a lot of fun. Really liked the characters and setting. Dungeons are very plain, but I honestly didn't mind it too much. Combat is much more simple than other games, but I still enjoyed it. Not an earthshaking release, but I definitely enjoyed my time playing it. The DLC pricing for it stinks, though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My only problem with SMTV is that the regular neutral route has a wet fart of a final boss but also has my favorite ending

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rarity posted:

anime watchers singlehandedly resurrected cyberpunk 2077, they are a constituency

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is that cyberpunk anime good? Stopped watching trigger stuff after Franxx and Kiznaiver

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hatty posted:

Is that cyberpunk anime good? Stopped watching trigger stuff after Franxx and Kiznaiver

I have no opinion on Trigger's other stuff, but yeah, it's good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

It's apparently good poo poo op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thinking about what the west big three jrpgs wouldve been around the same time, but i dont think anyone was playing anything but final fantasy

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its always weird to me when people act like smt is super obscure and outre considering it was the RPG franchise for me growing up that final fantasy was for a lot of other people, but maybe i'm just the outlier here :v:

(admittedly getting to play stuff like DDS when i was like 11 probably warped me as a kid lmao)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its bcos it didnt exist in the west until ps2 era due to the high levels of religious censorship in the us which also impacted euro ports lol but theyre the big three because they were the big tentpole jrpgs in japan. pokemons bigger, but dq, mt and ff all predate pokemon by a full decade.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why are we limited to 3

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the local gamestop had a copy of persona 2:ep that i almost bought several times but never did so the first smt game i bought was nocturne

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dragon Warrior did exist but it's funny to consider that as a "big" franchise in the west when one of the most famous things about Dragon Quest is that it's much more popular in Japan

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Why are we limited to 3

its not limited to, its a description of early jrpg development. dq ff and mt came first and were the big series that impacted everything else. for example w pokemon, by the time it came out there were 6 entries in all three franchises lol it was simply that there were three very influential jrpg series early on, and even as more games came out later they remained significant. smt is still one of the best selling jrpg franchises ever, despite being the smallest and basically invisible in the west until very recently.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What were the big 3 wrpg franchises in japan?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wizardry, wizardry, and probably ultima

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh right, there's an actual answer to that question

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
dragon quest was pretty explicitly an attempt to make a Wizardry/Ultima that people who weren't hypernerds would play

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think there were a few successful old-school dungeon crawler exports that nobody has heard of nowadays but Wizardry is the obvious one that always gets cited.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dragon Warrior did exist but it's funny to consider that as a "big" franchise in the west when one of the most famous things about Dragon Quest is that it's much more popular in Japan

even with final fantasy at the time, half the games never made it to the west, and the ones that did were na only. any perspective of the genre early on needs to account for how thigns differed so significantly in the past compared to today

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

Yeah there's what? 5 or 6 these games? I don't see any way they can keep the formula fresh and entertaining for all that

They kept making them after 3, because those first three made a lot of money, but they really should have stopped at 3.
It's the Halo problem were they can't really change the formula because the fans will riot, and the things they add or change are usually lackluster or bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are all sorts of game series that have been going on longer than Halo or Gears successfully. the problem is taht 343 and whoever does the Gears games after epic suck rear end

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

dragon quest was pretty explicitly an attempt to make a Wizardry/Ultima that people who weren't hypernerds would play

yeah and mt is wizardry for even bigger nerds

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

SMT got a big revival, but Xak and Burai are all but forgotten. no justice in this world

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the other canonical "big in Japan" games by western devs are Lode Runner and Populous

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cheetah7071 posted:

And Etrian Odyssey is pretty explicitly an attempt to make a throwback Wizardry/Ultima that only hypernerds would play

like me, would definitely recommend

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Legend of Grimrock is the good version of wizardry

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Stux posted:

youre an insane person. ffx is the best final fantasy by a wide margin.

You meant to say FFX-2, but most people make that mistake.

Ceyton posted:

That reminds me, I ought to get around to playing the retranslation of BoF2 one of these days. I patched the ROM like 2 years ago thinking I'd get around to it soon, but welp

I've never looked at it, but I was never a fan of the games. I generally find fan re-translations to be pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The best final fantasy is chocobos boko quest gp 2/3s

Or whatever