Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We're in an era of hate driven by social media, and being genuinely live-and-let-live kind is counter-cultural. Which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eason the Fifth posted:

We're in an era of hate driven by social media, and being genuinely live-and-let-live kind is counter-cultural. Which sucks.

It's hard when even pretty rational people I know just shrug and go "well both sides are bad so" or "The wonderful 2 party system where both sides are extremist" and that poo poo just sends me into blind loving rage.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

The federal government spent billions and billions of federal dollars to deal with "superstorm" sandy. They can pony up to fix coastal communities too.

If we want to actually deal with climate change, thats one thing. Simply choosing winners and losers out of those harmed by the consequences of our inaction is another. gently caress that poo poo.

I don't recall a majority of New Yorkers voting for assholes who tell the federal government to gently caress off so they can be more bigoted.

People should get help either way and politics shouldn't get in the way of aid, but the "don't tread on me" crowd begging for federal aid should be called out for their hypocrisy.

Also worth noting these are the same people who stand against in the way of any policy response to climate change.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 28, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If someone starts a both sides argument with me, it's best to assume they're going to take the lowest road.

I hope floridians, puerto ricans, and anyone else affected by these storms gets the help they need, but we really need to start telling people to take their insurance checks and build somewhere else. Imminent domain the land and point them north.

But I still believe we need a fence for when the army of boomers gets squirrelly when DeSantis loses his presidential bid and try to invade Georgia and Alabama by technical rascal scooter.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Wasabi the J posted:

Imagine if all their poo poo wasn't strapped down and tucked away.

https://twitter.com/TheAstroNick/status/1575179978718998528?t=HXEcSbaSdN3wRWEVx4Ybig&s=19

Thus, the term "ship shape".

He’s not kidding with the lateral g’s complaint. I hated that - drifting and getting hit sideways feels so much less natural than getting bounced. Like you’re even more not in control than usual. Never seen the mattresses come out. Those are usually strapped into the racks that fold up above the galley table. So it was enough force to rip open the alligator clips that hold that up.

I’m actually surprised there’s not more coffee, must not have hit a lot of negative g’s. That table gets covered.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Anything that takes the federal huricane/flood/etc insurance payout should be converted into federal state park.

Feel free to make a list of M_Gargantua approved living places.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

MPs need clearances so welcome to mechanical maintenance, fellow potheads.

Maintenance was and always will be a good military trade.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's a reasonably good representation of how I've been feeling in general, especially over the last six months. I don't give a poo poo about how much any given demographic may have "deserved" to be in any given situation, human beings deserve to be taken care of

I tend to give people a lot of leeway when they're giving the "they deserve it" thing because they're just really angry and hoping *someone* gets a comeuppance.

Because in this country, the main perpetrator most deserving of a comeuppance usually just gets a promotion.

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1574888408672964608?t=SA36h-1WgH2Y9EibkJuHcQ&s=19

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How do you fly on that plane and not think your going die the entire time. Those folks have balls of steel.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/us_stormwatch/status/1575194411104817152?s=42&t=sJMme-huqUT2jEUrbogLRw

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1575203449112694784?cxt=HHwWgMColZ7Mn9wrAAAA

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

davecrazy posted:

How do you fly on that plane and not think your going die the entire time. Those folks have balls of steel.

It’s not usually too bad - inevitably once they have media or a congressman on board it will be super calm. Though turbulence and airsickness have never bothered me either. It helps to focus on your task as well. I used to have one or two flights a year where I questioned my career choice though. Glad I wasn’t on that one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's a reasonably good representation of how I've been feeling in general, especially over the last six months. I don't give a poo poo about how much any given demographic may have "deserved" to be in any given situation, human beings deserve to be taken care of

:emptyquote:

Wonder Free posted:

It’s not usually too bad - inevitably once they have media or a congressman on board it will be super calm. Though turbulence and airsickness have never bothered me either. It helps to focus on your task as well. I used to have one or two flights a year where I questioned my career choice though. Glad I wasn’t on that one.

I unironically would love to go on a flight one day but lack the science background to do so. Maybe my brain is broken but it just seems like a cool life thing to do.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 29, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Somebody needs to post a link to the story of the hurricane hunter Orion flight that went into Hugo in 1989.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh man I thought that was referring to Project Orion for a second and got all :psyboom:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What hoax? I don't doubt for a second that this isn't the first time a shark got delivered inland by natural disasters

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I will say that the lowest barrier to entry is to be some flavor of journalist. I think in hurricane Harvey we had two randos that had a blog or something. I think that the PAO has turned over since then and the new PAO vets people more closely. They haven’t had media riders for the past two years but just recently started letting them on again.

The worst part of those flights is how much of a clown car the plane gets to be. There’s only about 18 work stations but they can carry 21. When it’s packed with people it’s a race to the head after the seatbelt light goes off. And you can’t really go hang out in the galley without having to stare at some rando. And you have to make sure you don’t say anything too bad over the ICS. I miss flying with minimum crew for Covid precautions. We got it down to like 9 people once, which is sparse for a P-3 mission flight.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Milo and POTUS posted:

What hoax? I don't doubt for a second that this isn't the first time a shark got delivered inland by natural disasters
Snopes has apparently had an article up since 2011 about a particular faked photo. No comment on whether or not it actually has or hasn't happened before, just that it's apparently a thing that pops up periodically on social media circulation and it's fake.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/shark-street-hurricane/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whoa Coolio is dead

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whoa Coolio is dead

Who?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

No.

And you are a huge piece of poo poo and a loving moron for even hinting at it, let alone lusting for it.

gently caress you.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Hurricanes in Texas and Florida, or Earthquakes in California, or Volcano’s in Hawaii. We should aspire to help anyone if they need it, when they need it. I don’t loving care of it’s a $45 million mass high water evacuation of “The Villages” in Florida or $20 billion to rebuild Puerto Rico. It all needs to happen. With gusto.

We don’t need a loving Donald Trump with a motherfucking (D) after their goddamned name on TV.

WHY?

WE loving HAD ONE UNTIL 2007, AND HE LATER BECAME THE WORST REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT ON A LIST THAT CONTAINS loving GEORGE W. BUSH AND RICHARD M. NIXON!

Reject trumpism, or rather, fascism. Don’t just put lipstick on it and call it a day.

You tremendously stupid piece of barely sentient poo poo.

I don't think you understood my point. It's a chance for Biden to strike these "tit for tat" politicians by showing the US government's power, how DeSantis is literally nothing without it. Let FEMA and federal aid come and completely emasculate DeSantis and other southern governors who need aid. Using public money to charter jets to fly asylum refugees from Texas up to Martha's Vineyard? What about flying Floridians to evacuation zones instead. Dark Biden has the right to tell him to gently caress off, and I hope he does so.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whoa Coolio is dead

Aw goddamnit

https://www.tmz.com/2022/09/28/coolio-dead-dies-los-angeles/

This has better not be the start of a new wave of beloved celebrity deaths. We lost Lemmy of Motörhead in late 2015 and I refuse to accept that it didn’t have a causal role in Trump’s eventual election.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't think you understood my point. It's a chance for Biden to strike these "tit for tat" politicians by showing the US government's power, how DeSantis is literally nothing without it. Let FEMA and federal aid come and completely emasculate DeSantis and other southern governors who need aid. Using public money to charter jets to fly asylum refugees from Texas up to Martha's Vineyard? What about flying Floridians to evacuation zones instead. Dark Biden has the right to tell him to gently caress off, and I hope he does so.

That is absolutely not how it would go down. Right wing talking heads will use it to say that Biden abandoned Americans and for once they'd be right.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1575225854313254912?s=20&t=UMsdUJ1dMI3NtuSqnjfhDA

Peak enlisted energy; just keep posting through it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He’s on the final fantastic voyage to live in a true ganagsters paradise and discover something new.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I just talked to my aunt who lives in Fort Myers. I'm thanking god that she evacuated, because she lives in a single-story house that's probably under several feet of water.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/NASAJPL/status/1575279614938578945?t=YmLFbqrKAOSte9hyUnIXRg&s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

The federal government spent billions and billions of federal dollars to deal with "superstorm" sandy. They can pony up to fix coastal communities too.

If we want to actually deal with climate change, thats one thing. Simply choosing winners and losers out of those harmed by the consequences of our inaction is another. gently caress that poo poo.
It's not "picking winners and losers" to stop giving massive insurance subsidies to the most disaster prone areas. The practice has had the perverse consequence of encouraging more and more development in the areas most at risk of natural disaster. Development sprawling into extremely flood- and wildfire-prone areas is enabled by a political refusal to meaningfully factor in the extraordinary costs of rebuilding time after time after time. We're not just protecting the people who happened to find themselves living in risky spots, we're holding the bag while more and more assholes have moved into these areas. It's not sustainable—even if we could soak the rich until there's nothing left, spending that money on rebuilding mansions in a flooded swamp would be horribly misspent and one of the most asinine example of human hubris imaginable.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 29, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's not "picking winners and losers" to stop giving massive insurance subsidies to the most disaster prone areas. The practice has had the perverse consequence of encouraging more and more development in the areas most at risk of natural disaster. Development sprawling into extremely flood- and wildfire-prone areas is enabled by a political refusal to meaningfully factor in the extraordinary costs of rebuilding time after time after time. We're not just protecting the people who happened to find themselves living in risky spots, we're holding the bag while more and more assholes have moved into these areas. It's not sustainable—even if we could soak the rich until there's nothing left, spending that money on rebuilding mansions in a flooded swamp would be horribly misspent and one of the most asinine example of human hubris imaginable.

Sooner or later the butcher’s bill will come due given that climate change is going to send more destructive hurricanes to the Gulf and southeastern coasts while also cooking California and the Pacific Northwest into year-round fire seasons. We’re eventually going to have a situation where most of the country is uninsurable because of the frequency of such events, and I strongly doubt there will be enough political will by any party to whistle past the graveyard yet again and hope that the buck stops with the next administration, whoever that may be.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

*Makes sure control console is switch backed from <IMPACT> to <FLYBY>*

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Sooner or later the butcher’s bill will come due given that climate change is going to send more destructive hurricanes to the Gulf and southeastern coasts while also cooking California and the Pacific Northwest into year-round fire seasons. We’re eventually going to have a situation where most of the country is uninsurable because of the frequency of such events, and I strongly doubt there will be enough political will by any party to whistle past the graveyard yet again and hope that the buck stops with the next administration, whoever that may be.

Not directly climate related but fully doubling down on the whistling part seems to be the current UK strategy under Truss. I could totally see a DeSantis or Trump redux just writing IOUs for burnt/drowned red state McMansions until the repo men show up for the White House china.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't recall a majority of New Yorkers voting for assholes who tell the federal government to gently caress off so they can be more bigoted.

People should get help either way and politics shouldn't get in the way of aid, but the "don't tread on me" crowd begging for federal aid should be called out for their hypocrisy.

Also worth noting these are the same people who stand against in the way of any policy response to climate change.

47.86 percent of Floridians that voted in the 2020 election voted for Biden. The idea that loving over the whole state will only target the bad actors that are preventing us from achieving progress on the climate or whatever is abject nonsense. There are a huge number of people who don't support republican policy who would get caught up in an effort to punish Politicans. Playing politics with disaster recovery is one of the things that absolutely wrecked New Orleans, and there is no way to fix the consequences of what was done.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this but deciding to broach the subject as a massive hurricane bears down on the USA is aggressively lovely. Like I said addressing climate change is one thing - holding a pending disaster over the heads of people who have to contend with it most directly is bullshit.

Soul Dentist posted:

New York City is a coastal community

Touche. For whatever reason I never think of it as one. What i meant is "other coastal communities".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this but deciding to broach the subject as a massive hurricane bears down on the USA is aggressively lovely. Like I said addressing climate change is one thing - holding a pending disaster over the heads of people who have to contend with it most directly is bullshit.

To be fair some idiot with a gun is gonna make it infrastructure week soon enough and we'll all pretty much put this into the back of the collective consciousness until the next time some other flood/hurricane prone area gets pasted. So if not now it'd be never.

Edit: personally id like to extend the flood policy to the entire state of arizona. That place is a testament to mans hubris and should probably be turned into a nature/cultural heritage site

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 29, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Edit: personally id like to extend the flood policy to the entire state of arizona. That place is a testament to mans hubris and should probably be turned into a nature/cultural heritage site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

I tend to give people a lot of leeway when they're giving the "they deserve it" thing because they're just really angry and hoping *someone* gets a comeuppance.

Because in this country, the main perpetrator most deserving of a comeuppance usually just gets a promotion.

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1574888408672964608?t=SA36h-1WgH2Y9EibkJuHcQ&s=19

Oh, I don't mind someone getting their comeuppance as a concept, but the generalization for entire groups or swathes of people (out of proximity or involvement with whichever person or group of people may actually "deserve it") is kinda where it goes into feel-bad territory for me.

- Texas energy crisis in cold weather due to a fake "energy independence"? Yeah, the Republicans deserve to eat poo poo for it (which they didn't, because it was somehow the Green New Deal's fault, welp), but the entire state is hit, and every voter - regardless of party - and non-voter is now suffering.
- Human-garbage politician dies of cancer? Part of me feels good that this politician will no longer be able to spread lies and gently caress over more unfortunate people, but I've had too many friends and family be affected by cancer to cheer for that. Also, gently caress cancer.
- Country getting cut off from financial aid on account of their head of state being a shitheel? Happy that it'll impact the political ambitions of said head of state, but the poorest folks in that country are probably going to pay the biggest price in that.

I'll reserve to amend or revisit this statement if/when Tucker Carlson ever meets a grisly demise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

Feel free to make a list of M_Gargantua approved living places.

There is a cohort of wealthy landowners who exploit the federal insurance system to subsidize their own profits. Places that would otherwise be uninsurable because of the location. Next time those mcmansions get leveled just pay out the insurance and eminent domain the land so it cant be rebuilt at the taxpayer expense.

Its that game theory thing where you promote negative behaviors. We need to pay out federally so peoples lives aren't wrecked, but there are people who turn that into a legal exploit to cash in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

How about we throw DeSantis into a loving hurricane and then deal with all the damage?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

There is a cohort of wealthy landowners who exploit the federal insurance system to subsidize their own profits. Places that would otherwise be uninsurable because of the location. Next time those mcmansions get leveled just pay out the insurance and eminent domain the land so it cant be rebuilt at the taxpayer expense.

Its that game theory thing where you promote negative behaviors. We need to pay out federally so peoples lives aren't wrecked, but there are people who turn that into a legal exploit to cash in.

Yeah, this messaging was unwelcome back in 2005 and it isn't playing any better for me in 2022. I guess I just got to gently caress off out of my 625 square foot mcmansion and leave this globally significant port city that only exists because some rich people wanted to make money on real estate deals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, this messaging was unwelcome back in 2005 and it isn't playing any better for me in 2022.

Same.

Talk of abandoning New Orleans, Tampa areas etc to the sea comes up everytime a big storm hits the gulf. It gets couched in talk of insurance etc but no ones talking about abandoning Los Angeles when wildfires burn out its suburbs every other year.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

Same.

Talk of abandoning New Orleans, Tampa areas etc to the sea comes up everytime a big storm hits the gulf. It gets couched in talk of insurance etc but no ones talking about abandoning Los Angeles when wildfires burn out its suburbs every other year.

Really? I frequently read about how the California big city exurbs have been expanding into wildfire zones and how this is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Same.

There are people who claim exactly this, but democracy is weird and the most consistent voice in voting at the local level is land owners. I dont know how to galvanize the people holding the bag for California's refusal to build tall and/or mass transit* or for building in wildfire/flood risk areas until people really feel it, and we're still not there yet.