Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I just call them cats :shrug:

Though our cats are easy cause one's a cream tabby and the other's a brown tabby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hawkperson posted:

What’s it called when your kitty cat has a white belly but on the rest of her all the white/orange/black fur is mixed together, except for her back foot which is all black (that’s the one I poke and say “this my favorite paw” which she finds endearing and not at all annoying). I thought that was dilute tortie but maybe it’s dilute calico?

If she has some white but not a lot, some people call that calico and some people call it "tortie and white." IIRC dilute is mostly used as a descriptor for the intensity of the orange and black, so a dilute tortie is cream/grey.

The correct answer is, of course, "kitty kitty"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's "a fuzzy rear end in a top hat that is so adorable I would die for it"

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If your cat is male, it's really, really unlikely he's a calico. They're almost universally female except in rare mutation cases as the calico gene is tied to the female chromosomes.

He might just be another type that looks similar to calicos. Does he have stripes? If you post a pic maybe we can figure it out.

Edit: from other pics you've posted of your cat, you have a standard tabby. Not a calico.

My phones camera sucks but here is a picture you can't see the orange on his nose nor the M tattoo in his ear for male. I just thought if he had like 4 colors he might be a calico or something.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

My phones camera sucks but here is a picture you can't see the orange on his nose nor the M tattoo in his ear for male. I just thought if he had like 4 colors he might be a calico or something.

It's normal for brown tabby cats to have a bit of orange / yellow on their nose and some other parts. You can call him Calico if you want, but you'll have a lot of people going "males can't be Calico". Although in reality, in very rare cases, they can.

As for Calico vs. Tortie, that's also a fuzzy boundary, it's pretty normal for cats to have a bit of white on the chin or on the belly, that's not usually considered a white pattern, but just call them what you prefer.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You can call him calico but if you do that and then show people a picture of him people will go "that is not a calico."

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Your handsome man is a tabby, it has distinct tabby stripes on the front legs and face. It's either a spotty tabby, or if it has orange blotches mixed in with the body coloration might be a tortoiseshell tabby (torbie) but those are usually (but not always!) female because of the coloration being X-linked

For both examples and cat tax, my tortoiseshell tabbies:

This is my deceased cat Freya, who was a classic torbie with lots of orange in her coloration, you can see muddy stripes on her body, she only had clean distinct stripes on her face and front legs

This is Ajna, who just barely counts as a torbie because of the single orange spot on her forehead. Everything else is pure tabby stripes

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah for reference this is also a torbie:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tortiepostin.

Calico I'd define as having large solid color patches vs tortie which is very mottled. I've seen cats with large color patches and tortie patches and I'd call them calico still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can't call this research scientifically valid until you do side by side comparisons.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I mean, if we're posting calicos now, I guess I can post this repulsive fur pile:

Upper half intermixed black and orange tabby fur, lower half solid white, absolute useless blob creature whom I would take a bullet for

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Word, are we posting our torties and or calicos? Here's Penny.

And here's Binzel (with bonus Andy).

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
These three are litter mates that we fostered (eventually kept). The grey one is the only male. Left to right they go coarse, plush, and fine.

And if any of you follow Beth Stern on Instagram, I'm sure you've seen their bad tortie Pebble.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If I had Stern money I'd also have like 400 cats. I never thought of following her on insta but lots of good animals there.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
They foster and have rescued thousands of cats. Pebble the tortie is so troublesome, they kept her. They only have a few that they fully adopted themselves, but most of the cats on her insta, she finds them forever homes. They've rescued cats on other continents even. My wife usually keeps me up to date on her posts. But they even raise tons of money for their local cat rescue. She's a great follow for heartwarming cat posts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does anyone have a back wall pisser and how do they deal with it? We have a fairly large litter box (link here) with a lid on it, but one of them obsessively sprays piss all over the back wall of the thing which since there's a lid it contains most of it but sometimes it kinda leaks out of the seams which is.. real nasty. I have one of those waterproof mats down below it and can clean it up relatively easily but it still gets grungy and I have to clean it every time or else it really starts to stink. I guess I just need to find a new litter box that doesn't have that sort of seam on it at that level? This thing's kind of the perfect dimension for the amount of litter we want and the size to fit our.. ample cats.. and everything at petsmart is basically smaller than ours.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've seen people get those large Rubbermaid tubs for storage and cut an entrance in to them to use as litter boxes. That might work for you and it's fairly low effort.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Tortiepostin.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Look at all those kitties! There are too many posts for me to quote and thanks for telling me it is normal for an grey tabby to have orange around his nose!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 29, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah get a bucket shaped litter box without seams. Depending on how agile your cat is they make them with lids he can go through, but you can also cut a hole in the side for an entrance.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Aww :3: that's one well protected tortie.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59cPtfBBIs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My parents have a six month old kitten. Pictured helping my dad fold laundry, with protection for my dad's privacy.

My mom found a reputable breeder of Siamese cats for show who keeps getting occasional long-hairs that he puts up for sale as pets.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Classic "mistakes were made" cat look :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

explosivo posted:

Does anyone have a back wall pisser and how do they deal with it? We have a fairly large litter box (link here) with a lid on it, but one of them obsessively sprays piss all over the back wall of the thing which since there's a lid it contains most of it but sometimes it kinda leaks out of the seams which is.. real nasty. I have one of those waterproof mats down below it and can clean it up relatively easily but it still gets grungy and I have to clean it every time or else it really starts to stink. I guess I just need to find a new litter box that doesn't have that sort of seam on it at that level? This thing's kind of the perfect dimension for the amount of litter we want and the size to fit our.. ample cats.. and everything at petsmart is basically smaller than ours.

I used to use a Clever Cat top entry litter box (with lid removed, because my cat is practically a Kaiju), worked great until earlier this year, when arthritis started creeping in and she just didn't want to jump in and out of it anymore and decided to let me know by peeing on my bed.

I don't have any advice at the moment, but the hampster wheel has started spinning, so maybe I'll come up with an interesting solution.

Edit:
Apparently they make "litterbox splash guards"

EDIT 2:
If you feel like watching a wall pisser piss they have you covered:
https://www.peepeeshield.net/

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 30, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The Mod Kat litterbox can be top entry OR side entry, and it’s used with a liner that goes all the way up to the top. They’re just obnoxiously expensive for a big plastic cat toilet.

https://modkat.com

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crocobile posted:

The Mod Kat litterbox can be top entry OR side entry, and it’s used with a liner that goes all the way up to the top. They’re just obnoxiously expensive for a big plastic cat toilet.

https://modkat.com

I like the look of this. The liners seem like a good idea too.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I put a baking sheet in the non covered litter box. My wife calls it the piss ramp. Reduces wall splashing by at least 95%. Looks weird but well, nobody comes to the house anyways.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought the obnoxiously expensive poop box.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

How serious is Feline Calicivirus in a 1 year old cat? Rockat has been having very phlegmy sounding coughing fits after intense periods of physical activity - That is playing and running all over like crazy. However more recently this sometimes manifests after he charges down a single flight of steps. His elder cat companion will occasionally have a sneezing fit just standing around not doing anything but it doesn't sound as goopy as the younger cat. Minor eye goopies have been observed but nothing really notable. This is a common virus in shelters and both cats came from shelters but different ones and different times and the young one got our attention because it just sounds so unpleasant. Will he outgrow it? He seems pretty healthy otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb_r7s9Gik

What could my cat be dreaming about so intensely that it makes her fall off a chair? She is obsessed with playing with the laser toy (but only when I use it to play with her, she doesn't care for automatic laser toys), so maybe she's dreaming about hunting in her sleep?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

How serious is Feline Calicivirus in a 1 year old cat? Rockat has been having very phlegmy sounding coughing fits after intense periods of physical activity - That is playing and running all over like crazy. However more recently this sometimes manifests after he charges down a single flight of steps. His elder cat companion will occasionally have a sneezing fit just standing around not doing anything but it doesn't sound as goopy as the younger cat. Minor eye goopies have been observed but nothing really notable. This is a common virus in shelters and both cats came from shelters but different ones and different times and the young one got our attention because it just sounds so unpleasant. Will he outgrow it? He seems pretty healthy otherwise.

My poor cat also has it and it's not clear at all where she got it from. According to the vet it's not much to worry about. They recommend putting her in a box with a diffuser and having her breathe water vapour to de-slime her airways but I haven't done that because it sounds nuts.

She's two and a half years old now and it's definitely gotten better over time, but it will never be completely gone. The vet says she'll probably need to have her teeth removed when she gets older to fight the gingivitis that comes with it. But there's still some years left until then.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Fabulousity posted:

My 6-7y/o rescue has calicivirus and it flares up a few times a year. She gets a bit wheezy/sneezy for a couple of days, and is a bit fussier/wanting comfort cuddles, then it goes away as quickly as it starts. The worst bout made her really snotty for a day, which seemed to bother us more than her, and gave her sore eyes that needed antibiotic ointment for a week. She also got an injection for pain relief when we took her to the vet for that bout.

When she's not having a flare there's no sign that she's unhealthy in any way. The vet has made it really clear we don't need to worry.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Fabulousity posted:

We adopted our first cat Dimitri in 2008 and a day or two after he came home from the shelter he developed breathing problems and stopped eating. He ended up at the UPenn e-vet for a couple days where they diagnosed calicivirus and put a feeding tube in to the tune of 2200 of my dollars and I had to feed him through the tube for several days, until he got his strength back and got mad enough to just pull it out. He died last year, so I don't think it ever impaired him.

If your cat is running around and eating I wouldn't worry. Dimitri was very lethargic and couldn't be convinced to eat by any means, but if those aren't problems for you I'd say just keep an eye on it but don't stress.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Have you asked your vet about this? Sorry to come in with a human medical perspective and I waffled about even posting anything at all but in mammals with a heart and lungs plumbed up the way ours are, increased activity/heartrate produces higher blood pressure in the lungs and if something is funny you can get respiratory issues as a result. This can be from any number of things or it could be completely nothing but it felt wrong to just not say anything. If you're seeing other cold-like symptoms I'd be less concerned!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Oh yeah, caveat to everything I said is that you've had the new symptoms checked out by a vet and they've told you it's a calicivirus flare. Always consult the vet if something changes or doesn't feel right.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We've had our cat Affie for about 4 months now and she's a real sweetheart. She does seem to have tiered "back-off" signals: she starts with dry bites on your hand, which usually are enough to make me and my SO back off and give her space, and the next tier is a hiss: she's only done this twice in four months, which I'm taking as a good sign. She's never bitten our hand hard, and she's never swatted at us with claws bared. I think as long as we don't ignore her signs we should be fine.

One thing that's a bit more worrying is that sometime she'll use her paws to grab my SO's hand and do light bites, as we as kicking her hand with her back paws. This is very rare (I think I've seen it happen 2-3 times in a couple of months): I'm assuming this is just play aggression and the solution is to just play with her more on that day? We try to play with her twice a day, but sometimes we get busy.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Tekopo posted:

We've had our cat Affie for about 4 months now and she's a real sweetheart. She does seem to have tiered "back-off" signals: she starts with dry bites on your hand, which usually are enough to make me and my SO back off and give her space, and the next tier is a hiss: she's only done this twice in four months, which I'm taking as a good sign. She's never bitten our hand hard, and she's never swatted at us with claws bared. I think as long as we don't ignore her signs we should be fine.

One thing that's a bit more worrying is that sometime she'll use her paws to grab my SO's hand and do light bites, as we as kicking her hand with her back paws. This is very rare (I think I've seen it happen 2-3 times in a couple of months): I'm assuming this is just play aggression and the solution is to just play with her more on that day? We try to play with her twice a day, but sometimes we get busy.
Yeah, it’s just play behavior. When Kali does it I always feel like she’s getting a little overheated. If you have multiple cats, when they wrestle you might see one put the other in a headlock and deliver those rabbit kicks too. It might go away with age, our older cat Merlin doesn’t do it to people, only to Kali when the cat battle gets intense. He lies on his back and tries to bait her into biting him so he can grab and kick her, it’s hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a toy out there called a "kick stick" that you can get as an outlet for that behavior if you want. It gets ignored a lot of the time but if you leave it out in the middle of the floor eventually when cat walks by it why will flop over and kick the poo poo out of it for a minute. I guess they gotta refresh their training every so often to make sure they got the technique down if a cucumber attacks.