Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All the bits were amazing, I was howling when they were travelling with the sheds. It didn't get old every time they rounded a corner and they got out of control.

Driving down that ski slope was legit terrifying even though it seems like they had plenty of room at the end to get things under control.

My question is do you think Hammond was REALLY in the hut when it went down the hill or did they fake that?

I was also really impressed with the car extraction. That was really well executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was pretty great but James' crash was way too much for me. These guys are getting old and I don't want one of them to die filming one of these because they wanted to do a dumb stunt. Hell, even seeing the director fall on the ice was terrifying. I guess having real things like this makes it more real and allows them to add in more scripted fake things like Hammond sliding down the hill, but I don't want them putting in things where one of them nearly dies just to create a suspension of disbelief for the rest of the stunts. This episode was a bunch of Jeremy and Richard pranking each other, and James nearly dying 3 times. Did they script that hole in the ice? Because that seemed really convenient.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://grandtournation.com/thegrandtour/the-grand-tour-executive-producer-puts-an-end-to-scripted-rumours/

If Wilman is to be believed, it wouldn't have been scripted.

The car falling in the ice isn't specifically mentioned, but from what he describes they don't script that stuff.

That's not to say that the trio doesn't collude and talk about their pranks and such ahead of time (I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond told Jeremy that he was going to cover his car in ice, but his reaction on how to resolve it was genuine). So, I would say more improv than scripted (with loose outlines of "I'm going to do this" but without the outcomes being predetermined). But I don't see how they could have pre-arranged the ice safely.

That DOES call into question the vetting of the route for safety.

As for the tunnel, I imagine they had more safeguards in place than we saw and were reasonably sure of the safety, but stuff does happen and as mentioned it seems like the car hit a bump that cut traction a lot at the worst time.

So, i would imagine the sheet looked something like

3 rally cars
tunnel race and then wander through them
lake race followed by ski tow race
stay overnight at historic site
build and tow sheds
end up as ski resort and destroy sheds
take shortcut to airport for some sweet lake speeding shots

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 16, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ice thing was 100% scripted.

If you break through ice unintentionally, you don't go "oh no that sucks" and sit there for 30 seconds. You get the gently caress out of the car because if it sinks before you can open a window you probably die.

You don't get this shot if you accidentally break through the ice on a lake.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alternatively, they knew the lake wasn't deep enough for them to actually get fully submerged which is why they chose the route to begin with.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that Evo thru the ice thing very much played like James driving over there on purpose and oh look whoops who could have expected this?? That said, it's still funny as hell.

It's crazy to me that James did that run with studded tires, pretty clear he attempted to brake like he didn't have bigass studs on there. Dry concrete with studded tires gets real drifty. Impressive that he tried to make the turn!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lolled at the "red run"

That was a bunny slope like for inner tubing

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah I would imagine the water was only a couple of feet deep and they weakened it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I loved the gigantic wrenches like they're Grot from Metropolis

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powershift posted:

The ice thing was 100% scripted.

If you break through ice unintentionally, you don't go "oh no that sucks" and sit there for 30 seconds. You get the gently caress out of the car because if it sinks before you can open a window you probably die.

You don't get this shot if you accidentally break through the ice on a lake.

One of the bits from Top Gear that really brought this home to me was when they were doing the DIY caravans on the seaside in Cornwall, and Jeremy almost got caught by the incoming tide. All you got was one brief shot of him shrieking and trying to scoop water away from the wheels, and then sudden cut to "Well! ...That was intense"

Because at least in that one instance, they didn't have the camera crew all set up to capture the whole thing.

That said, and even laying aside the silliness of imagining the lake could have served as a shortcut to the airport somehow and spending six hours putting together Hammond's Youtube contraption somehow still put them there ahead of time, I thought it was some pretty good character drama to have that rescue mechanism all cued up and ready to go. When he started turning it and it dawned on me how it was going to work and how easy and obvious it suddenly was, I was like :aaaaa:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Honestly biggest reason I thought it was scripted was there was no crew reaction/participation in the rescue. Someone freezing up from that and sitting there in shock for a couple moments before taking action is believable though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, like I said if they knew the lake was shallow then they knew there wasn't any real danger regardless of if it was scripted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It is nice when you do get the glimpses of the crew and the reminders that they're along with them, whether falling flat on the ice (lol) or helping them chop down trees.

Arguing with each other on the tarmac at the airport though, that may have been a bit much (the credits were great though)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It is nice when you do get the glimpses of the crew and the reminders that they're along with them, whether falling flat on the ice (lol) or helping them chop down trees.

Arguing with each other on the tarmac at the airport though, that may have been a bit much (the credits were great though)

It needed a shot of the pilot being The Stig while the plane did a barrel roll.

Overall, it came off as very staged and scripted to me, regardless of how much it really was. The drag race in the tunnel was just unbelievably stupid - I can't believe they actually did it. The crash was eminently predictable, to the point that I have doubts it was actually James at the wheel and would believe it was all staged with a stuntman.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I do enjoy watching with an eye toward all the bonkers shots they have to get and how deceptively hard they are.

Like when they're towing the felled trees back to the lake, there's a like 2-second shot of the cars driving by from like 1/4 mile deep into the forest. Some schmuck had to hike with his camera gear into the woods and get all set up and shoot and probably do a couple of takes and then hike back just for those 2 seconds. That whole sequence must have taken multiple days.

I do have to wonder about the pulling James out of the hole bit. While the car is getting winched, there are no shots showing both a) the guys turning the winch and b) the car moving out of the hole. Definitely seems like there's a unimog or something just off-screen

But on the other other hand, James' :smug: face as he drives up in the Evo is some top grade content

e: amusingly they never explained the thing about the Dutch submarine base on Norwegian soil. I guess it's this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olavsvern

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 17, 2022

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I saw a post somewhere saying there were large NATO exercises going on about the time they would have been filming?

Edit:

Data Graham posted:

I do enjoy watching with an eye toward all the bonkers shots they have to get and how deceptively hard they are.

Like when they're towing the felled trees back to the lake, there's a like 2-second shot of the cars driving by from like 1/4 mile deep into the forest. Some schmuck had to hike with his camera gear into the woods and get all set up and shoot and probably do a couple of takes and then hike back just for those 2 seconds. That whole sequence must have taken multiple days.

And that's why making "real" TV costs so much fuckin money.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wilman must be the biggest loving idiot on the planet if his idea of a great challenge is "go fast in an unlit tunnel toward a stone wall and hope they brake in time."

Like Jesus Christ, they wore helmets on Top Gear for far less dangerous stunts.

There were hints of brilliance among the contrivances, but James' crash just really put me in a sour mood for the whole rest of the show.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah that had the same feel as the later Jackass movies where the guys are old and beat up enough that you no longer laugh when they hurt themselves: you're just concerned :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I cannot believe that anyone whose job even slightly involved safety oversight knew about the tunnel stunt. That's the kind of thing they do huge involved investigations of so the whole industry can learn from it and improve their processes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, you are acting like they just said "have at it" and not measured the tunnel already of time, calculated the safe point to start braking, and prompted them via radio earpiece to stand on the brakes when they passed a sensor threshold.

There's no way they didn't have safety planning there, something just went wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't excuse away them not having helmets. James May is 59 years old, hitting his head like that could have killed him. Bob Saget was 65 and died after hitting his head real hard. I assume they got him great medical care and they cleared him, but that was hosed.

The exploration of the tunnels was great though. I loved the connotation that none of the soldiers asked why they were there, hinting that maybe they shouldn't be there either and didn't have anyone to snitch to.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having cracked a rib just laying over the doorsill of an Elise trying to manipulate a brake pedal while someone flushed the fluid, I really felt for James and his not being able to pick up a halfshaft due to it being too drat painful to flex his chest really struck home with me.

But then later I thought it was weird that he wasn't grunting with pain every time he laughed.

Crawling out of the Evo and trying to hook up the tow rope he should have been completely immobile. He was making noises about his ribs the whole time but, and maybe I'm just that much of a styrofoam wuss or something, but if you've actually injured your ribs you will barely be able to breathe let alone contort yourself out of a sinking car

Point is parts of that subplot felt very real and other parts felt like if those ones were real the rest must have been filmed 8 months later

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Bob Saget was 65 and died

:wth:

Yeah the first thing I thought seeing that crash was holy poo poo why don’t they have helmets.

Hammond trying to get onto the “lift” had me lollin irl

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Having cracked a rib just laying over the doorsill of an Elise trying to manipulate a brake pedal while someone flushed the fluid, I really felt for James and his not being able to pick up a halfshaft due to it being too drat painful to flex his chest really struck home with me.

But then later I thought it was weird that he wasn't grunting with pain every time he laughed.

Crawling out of the Evo and trying to hook up the tow rope he should have been completely immobile. He was making noises about his ribs the whole time but, and maybe I'm just that much of a styrofoam wuss or something, but if you've actually injured your ribs you will barely be able to breathe let alone contort yourself out of a sinking car

Point is parts of that subplot felt very real and other parts felt like if those ones were real the rest must have been filmed 8 months later

Yeah the "timeline" narrative was clearly made up. There is no way they modified and wrapped their cars in one night in a random shed, James "caught them up" somehow etc. Still all great fun and their best special in ages.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a TV show, literally everything is scripted and they will redo the spur of the moment off-the-cuff jokes 50 times until it's funniest if that's what's needed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah the "timeline" narrative was clearly made up. There is no way they modified and wrapped their cars in one night in a random shed, James "caught them up" somehow etc. Still all great fun and their best special in ages.

Well I mean the cars are obviously different ringer cars anyway, like when they swapped out one of their Nobles in Italy for one of a completely different color (and the steering wheel on the other side too I think) and pretended they did it in a garage. I thought it was completely the joke that they were playing it off like they "modified" their own cars that night.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys I hate to break it to you, but when they say that they modified something or repaired something then they actually just hired a mechanic.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Wilman must be the biggest loving idiot on the planet if his idea of a great challenge is "go fast in an unlit tunnel toward a stone wall and hope they brake in time."

Like Jesus Christ, they wore helmets on Top Gear for far less dangerous stunts.

There were hints of brilliance among the contrivances, but James' crash just really put me in a sour mood for the whole rest of the show.

Well, the shots they got were cool as hell from the Jeremy's run when he was starting to outrun the lights, and the speeds stayed below 80 which isn't "that much". I have no trouble on seeing in my mind why they thought it would be a good idea and went ahead.

But yeah, why on earth they decided to do that with studded snow tires, and not wear helmet?

EDIT: On the second viewing I noticed it was 80 MPH, not kilometers, crazy that insurance company let them do that without helmet, HANS and 5-point harness.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 30, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

But yeah, why on earth they decided to do that with studded snow tires, and not wear helmet?

I guess it would break continuity on the theoretical "three guys just driving around" skit. Which nobody sane of mind believes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My question is how long they are interested on doing this stuff? I mean the only things they haven't really done are the roadtrip across Russia (which was planned but will never happen) and roadtrip across Africa (which has been already done by someone else).

May was already about to quit with that boat episode where he almost capsized in the last leg of the run, and all three have their own projects they seem much happier with. May has that "our man in..." thing which is excellent, Clarkson got his farm, and Hammond does everything but that Smallest Coq -car restoration show isn't half bad. And Clarkson is already looking very ancient.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised they finished this one honestly. I wonder how many are left in their Amazon contract.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm surprised they finished this one honestly. I wonder how many are left in their Amazon contract.

Since this one was listed as season 5 instead of 4 at least two is my thought.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd be completely fine if they decided to take it easy on the stunts and races and just did something like a big cross-Europe road trip with no stakes to cap it all off. Not least because I don't actually want one of them to die filming a show :ohdear:

e: and particularly not May who judging by this episode is involved in some sort of Final Destination deal

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 28, 2022

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd be completely fine if they decided to take it easy on the stunts and races and just did something like a big cross-Europe road trip with no stakes to cap it all off. Not least because I don't actually want one of them to die filming a show :ohdear:

e: and particularly not May who judging by this episode is involved in some sort of Final Destination deal

Long Way Down but it's the Americas? Short Way Round but they just beeline for the south pole, do a donut and beast it back home?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Short way round would be great if they just went Norwich-Plymouth-Isle of Man-John O'Groats-back to London.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just popping in to say I watched the new GT episode last night and jesus christ that crash was definitely a bit too much for me. The episode was good but I felt like I was in shock for a bit after that happened because I was not expecting it at all. The flamethrower bit was pretty stupid though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jeremy Clarkson told to shut his farm’s restaurant and cafe

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson has been ordered to shut down his restaurant and cafe less than three months after saying he had found a planning loophole that would allow them to open.

The broadcaster is appealing against the enforcement notice served on his Oxfordshire farm, Diddly Squat, where he has been involved in a long-running planning dispute with the council.

Officials have accused him of operating unlawfully and said the setup at Diddly Squat, near the village of Chadlington, “by reason of its nature, scale and siting is unsustainable and incompatible with its open countryside location”.

Clarkson has been called “Britain’s most unlikely farmer” because of a career spent dismissing issues such as the climate crisis that pose an existential threat to the UK’s agricultural sector. But his Amazon Prime series, Clarkson’s Farm, is based on the premise that, after all that, he had decided to take on the running of the Cotswolds farm he has owned for the past 14 years.

His plans for the site put him in direct conflict with West Oxfordshire district council, which has rejected two planning applications.

In July, Clarkson told the Sun: “We had planning permission turned down but we’re opening anyway. Everyone at Diddly Squat has spent the last three months becoming an expert in planning regulations and we’ve found a delightful little loophole."

But the council acted the following month, saying the parking, toilets, traffic, along with the dining, installed by Clarkson at the farm were “visually intrusive and harmful” to the Cotswolds area of outstanding natural beauty.

It ordered him to shut the restaurant or anything selling food to be consumed on the farm, as well as requiring the removal of the dining tables, chairs, parasols, picnic tables and a mobile toilet.

Agents working on behalf of Clarkson say planning laws have not been breached and claim the council’s decision is “excessive”.

The John Phillips Planning Consultancy write in their 9 September appeal against the enforcement notice that existing planning permission gives them the right to use the farm as a restaurant, and there has been no “material change” to the land.

The appeal adds that Diddly Squat’s sale of food and use of tables and chairs are lawful and says it would take longer than the six weeks that the council has given them to remove the items.

The Planning Inspectorate, a government agency, will hear Clarkson’s appeal but has yet to set a date for a hearing.

Representatives for Clarkson have been contacted for comment.

Surprise, surprise. Jeremy built a bunch of poo poo without permission and now that the permission is denied he's claiming he's a victim of oppressive regulations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That show is surprisingly good, but the farm store and whatever cafe he's dreamt up here must be an astounding pain in the balls for anyone who lives within about 20 miles of it, these tiny country lanes that are the only way to get to some places aren't supposed to have 2 hour parking tailbacks on them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Jeremy Clarkson told to shut his farm’s restaurant and cafe

Surprise, surprise. Jeremy built a bunch of poo poo without permission and now that the permission is denied he's claiming he's a victim of oppressive regulations.

The justification is about being "visually obtrusive and harmful" though which is generally HOA speak in the US for "we don't like it but we can't say why"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I'm rich so I will move to this area of picturesque beauty that is unspoiled by crass commercialism, where I can buy my way past the objections of those in charge who want to keep it unspoiled by people like me"

*builds a factory*