Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Agreed posted:

hold up there ace I'm just trying to make bleeps, bloops, and wuruaaarrrggoohggh sounds

take a pebble to a pond, toss it in. find a bigger rock, do the same.
find a reed and pluck it and hold it to your lips, pull tight, and blow.

there I saved you several thousand dollars and having to risk your ego by pursuing something creative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The act of painting can be creative, even if it is not contained within the borders of the expected canvas

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Matt Zerella posted:

Oh wow, that Syntakt Keyboard fold/scale mode got slipped in too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjGpBB3WMc

I feel like this will end up exciting me, but haven't paid close enough attention to the Syntakt to understand what fold mode will let me do that I can't already do on the DT/DN. It lets me lock into a particular scale when I'm playing whatever sound I've generated on the Digitone?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

McCoy Pauley posted:

I feel like this will end up exciting me, but haven't paid close enough attention to the Syntakt to understand what fold mode will let me do that I can't already do on the DT/DN. It lets me lock into a particular scale when I'm playing whatever sound I've generated on the Digitone?

With the folded keyboard, if you select say a Major C scale, all 16 keys will be lit and play notes in scale, giving you two octaves of keyboard, instead one octave with half the buttons off.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JamesKPolk posted:

the whole loving point of any of this

I make music not songs

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

JamesKPolk posted:

there I saved you several thousand dollars and having to risk your ego by pursuing something creative

is this a joke to you? those things don't bleep, they don't bloop, and sure as poo poo they will never wuruaaarrrggoohggh

might as well tell me to just whistle, or do armpit farts (or butt ones), for all the good that does getting me to my goals JamesKPolk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

echinopsis posted:

I make music not songs

I make fun, not music and definitely not songs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fold mode is pretty great, i have to use a plugin i wrote for that

and i haven't rebuilt it since i got a new computer :negative:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Agreed posted:

is this a joke to you? those things don't bleep, they don't bloop, and sure as poo poo they will never wuruaaarrrggoohggh

might as well tell me to just whistle, or do armpit farts (or butt ones), for all the good that does getting me to my goals JamesKPolk

as long as you have goals!

echinopsis posted:

I make music not songs

well I write sins, not tragedies

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

JamesKPolk posted:

as long as you have goals!

Listen I find this kind of thing inspirational. I call this one, For JamesKPolk (Studies By The Pond), please imagine that it has a funky bass part as well like Rick James:

Bleep! ... Bleep, bleep, bloop.

(shuffle shuffle, scratch scratch)

(bloop, bloop, bleep... Bleep!)

WURUAAARRRGGOOOHGGH (repeat 3x)

if someone can loan me a Rickenbacker I can get this recorded as early as today.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 28, 2022

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

well I write sines, not tragedies

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Agreed posted:

Listen I find this kind of thing inspirational. I call this one, For JamesKPolk (Studies By The Pond), please imagine that it has a funky bass part as well like Rick James:

(shuffle shuffle, scratch scratch)

(bloop, bloop, bleep... Bleep!)

WURUAAARRRGGOOOHGGH (repeat 3x)

if someone can loan me a Rickenbacker I can get this recorded as early as today.

nice I like... I'm imagining in the background a funky breakbeat (by which of course I mean the sound of waves beating against a breakwater). get me the stems and I can maybe overdub?

gently caress

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i started doing an electroclash esque cover of i write sins not tragedies a while back but i stopped working on it because i got bored

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

oh suddenly you're all too good for 4 note arpeggios repeated for hours?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzjjuHBAIM

I mean if you can make it slap...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Reply if you use song mode.

The octatrack has the best song mode of any hardware sequencer barring the cirklon imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKkbQv6HtI

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Mr. Sharps posted:

The octatrack has the best song mode of any hardware sequencer barring the cirklon imo

That means it’s actually the best because the cirklon is an elaborate hoax. now fulfilling orders placed in 1983

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

What 1U stuff do you bitches have?

I have 26hp to burn and I already have a mordax.

Stereo I/O, Sloth, Guillotine (I highly recommend this one.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My buddies cirklon finally shipped and it was new and amazing and he immediately resold it on reverb lol

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Lol nice. I put my name down years ago and haven’t had any update for ages. Last I heard they were sending out units to 2017 orders and you had to register on their old-rear end forum to find the order update thread that would get some news every few months.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

i very much enjoy mr senni's work, i was only half kidding lol

question for modular gurus in the thread, i don't really understand combining modulation. say on a filter cutoff i have a v/oct sequence going into that input, and an envelope going into the fm input but i still want to add an lfo modulating it but have no more inputs, how do i do this?

i assume i sum or average two or more of these signals before going in, but what is the best practice?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
SONG MODE YALL

THEY loving DID IT

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I'll care when they introduce dong mode

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

field balm posted:

i very much enjoy mr senni's work, i was only half kidding lol

question for modular gurus in the thread, i don't really understand combining modulation. say on a filter cutoff i have a v/oct sequence going into that input, and an envelope going into the fm input but i still want to add an lfo modulating it but have no more inputs, how do i do this?

i assume i sum or average two or more of these signals before going in, but what is the best practice?

Combining both signals as-is would probably result in a signal that’s maxed out more often than not, so you probably want to halve both signals and then combine them. The most straight forward way would be a single mixer module that allows you to attenuate the signals before they go to the mix out. Barring that, you can use two attenuators to halve each signal, then combine them via a mult or stackable cable. Or you might have a VCA with multiple ins and a mix out.

And you don’t necessarily have to halve each signal. You can experiment with different ratios, and sometimes you may find the sound you are looking for requires 5% of one and 10% of the other.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Next up: Album mode

Followed by Discography mode

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the talent mode.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
His Holiness, Brian Eno spake to us that lo, we no longer have need for Talent, for Talent hath been replaced with Judgement.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Combining both signals as-is would probably result in a signal that’s maxed out more often than not, so you probably want to halve both signals and then combine them. The most straight forward way would be a single mixer module that allows you to attenuate the signals before they go to the mix out. Barring that, you can use two attenuators to halve each signal, then combine them via a mult or stackable cable. Or you might have a VCA with multiple ins and a mix out.

And you don’t necessarily have to halve each signal. You can experiment with different ratios, and sometimes you may find the sound you are looking for requires 5% of one and 10% of the other.

thanks, my doepfer quad vca has a mix out, ill play around with that!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

then combine them via a mult or stackable cable.

It’s very much possible that doing this will result in an uneven or weird mix. It depends on how the outputs of the modules are designed. There’s also a slight possibility that this will cause a smoky module. Connecting outputs together is enough of a gamble that I never do it. Eurorack doesn’t have standards for output design so practices vary.

The mixing vca is a good solution but it’s handy anyway to have a bunch of compact mixing attenuators/attenuverters available like MI Shades or Intellijel Triplatt. There’s always use for one in a patch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really wish my Model:Samples had a song mode.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JamesKPolk posted:

ego hey? go to apple music or spotify and type in a feeling you're feeling. all of that is song. none of that is art. it's just content and it's already endless. it might have been art at one point but now it's content. they'd love you to add more content because it makes them money but if you don't that's fine too because there's an endless amount and the problem has long been finding the right song, not creating the right song. you're welcome to create content. writing music and making songs is just making intellectual property for exploitation, creating and reinforcing capitalism with what might have been once for you something personal and special.

making unlistenable robot farts that is never recorded that only makes you and the people immediately around you happy is more than art, it's heroism. it's making art for the court of the moment, immortal in its fragility. every instrument that can be wrested from the grubby hands of content extruders and in to the hand of the unrecorded artists is another joyful step to a better, realer world, a world where we do not need songs

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Everyone likes to dance to a happy song
With a catchy chorus and beat so they can sing along
Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the charts
Maybe if I work with him, I can perfect the art

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

ego hey? go to apple music or spotify and type in a feeling you're feeling. all of that is song. none of that is art. it's just content and it's already endless. it might have been art at one point but now it's content. they'd love you to add more content because it makes them money but if you don't that's fine too because there's an endless amount and the problem has long been finding the right song, not creating the right song. you're welcome to create content. writing music and making songs is just making intellectual property for exploitation, creating and reinforcing capitalism with what might have been once for you something personal and special.

making unlistenable robot farts that is never recorded that only makes you and the people immediately around you happy is more than art, it's heroism. it's making art for the court of the moment, immortal in its fragility. every instrument that can be wrested from the grubby hands of content extruders and in to the hand of the unrecorded artists is another joyful step to a better, realer world, a world where we do not need songs

I don't use those and if you have accounts w/ either (especially paid) you should delete them, if you really feel this way

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Everyone likes to dance to a happy song
With a catchy chorus and beat so they can sing along
Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the charts
Maybe if I work with him, I can perfect the art

this. all of this. literally this

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
genuine question, what is song mode.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

creamcorn posted:

genuine question, what is song mode.

It allows you to arrange your sequences into a song. I don’t know the specifics of Elektron, but I have an Ensoniq ASR-10 from the 90s in my closet, and the way it worked there is you could set it to play Seq 1, repeat four times, then go to Seq 2, play that four times, play Seq 1 three times, play Seq 3 once, Seq 2 four times, etc.

Basically a list of your sequences in the order you want them played with a variable of how many times to repeat the sequence each time.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I would never stoop so low as to “arrange” a “song”

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Machinedrum had a song mode as well so they've just been holding out on us this whole time!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
from reddit, and with advice on how to make it very easy to control:

there goes my weekend

no reason this can't take midi I/O and then send a clock out to my real stuff, I don't think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It allows you to arrange your sequences into a song. I don’t know the specifics of Elektron, but I have an Ensoniq ASR-10 from the 90s in my closet, and the way it worked there is you could set it to play Seq 1, repeat four times, then go to Seq 2, play that four times, play Seq 1 three times, play Seq 3 once, Seq 2 four times, etc.

Basically a list of your sequences in the order you want them played with a variable of how many times to repeat the sequence each time.

Yah, it's basically this with the added functionality of adding mutes to a sequence.. so seq 1 pattern 1 might have bass plus snare, while seq 2 pattern 1 might have bass but snare muted. You can also set the bpm per sequence as well. I have no idea how common something like that would be used, but it's there.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2022