Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

tldr:
No more open SR.
You get ranks Bronze to GM with tiers from 5 to 1 inside each rank.
You don't see you SR drain after each loss or rise with each win. Instead after 7 wins or 20 losses you see and adjustement to your tier/rank.

No more medals, instead you see raw damage/heal stats for everyone: (as seen on beta.)

quote:

The placement system from past Competitive seasons is changing in Overwatch 2.

quote:

Instead of playing five matches without a rank, you’ll be unranked until your first competitive update after the first seven wins or 20 losses.
You can expect to start in lower Skill Tier Divisions after placement matches and progress the ranks throughout the season.

More detailed breakdown of all your matches during your session. You can check you wins.
You can check heroes you played in each match and what did you accomplish during your match with that hero.

Gold weapons are still competitive mode only:

quote:

Competitive Points will continue to be the reward currency for winning Competitive matches, rewarding 10 points for a win,
and three for a draw. Earning 3,000 points allows you to unlock a Golden Weapon for any of Overwatch’s heroes

Overall I see this pretty good.

Edit: lol, what a great snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Clean Junkrat is hosed up

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Macaluso posted:

He had to clean up his act as he is in luv... with Kiriko.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

good changes and wondering if there were any shouting matches that resulted in separate Input Pools

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

Ahh, removing visible mmr and replacing it with fantasy points (which inflate over the course of each season). We all should have seen that one coming too.

drat, sounds like everyone needs to spread the word of the horrors of Overwatch inflation

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The tiers do seem like an improvement over seeing your SR drop immediately after a bad loss. Overall I think it should help people focus more on their mid/longer term competitive performance rather than focusing too much on an individual match.

Regarding competitive points, have the mentioned if those are carrying over from OW1 to OW2? Do I need to login to buy another golden gun before the changeover, or can I just wait until OW2 to spend what I have?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

So basically you can get to a higher rank by playing a lot. Except in higher rank you will lose more than win, so it will all balance out in the end.

So high plats could hit low diamond at the end of season and stabilize there, but low plats will stabilize on mid/high plat and not get higher, unless they really improve.
And repeat each season.
Seems fine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheKingofSprings posted:

drat, sounds like everyone needs to spread the word of the horrors of Overwatch inflation
No, it's the most sane implementation everyone does it outside of dying or dead games like Starcraft 2 or chess. This was nonetheless controversial for a long time for reasons I don't really understand.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 28, 2022

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

adhuin posted:

You don't see you SR drain after each loss or rise with each win. Instead after 7 wins or 20 losses you see and adjustement to your tier/rank.

On the one hand this is probably going to reduce tilting when people aren't hit by Number Goes Down after every loss

On the other hand I can't wait for people to get confused and/or angry when they win their 7th game and go down in rank (because they lost 15 games)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Ryanbomber posted:

On the one hand this is probably going to reduce tilting when people aren't hit by Number Goes Down after every loss

On the other hand I can't wait for people to get confused and/or angry when they win their 7th game and go down in rank (because they lost 15 games)

That would be very stupid.
I assume they save that adjustment for when you lose your 20th game. Instead when you win 7th time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

No, it's the most sane implementation everyone does it outside of dying or dead games like Starcraft 2 or chess. This was nonetheless controversial for a long time for reasons I don't really understand.

I am going to miss seeing people lose their poo poo over that magic number. Gamers are not equipped to handle real feedback.

I don't see why a chess rating would be bad for any game.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Macaluso posted:

it's loving disgusting what they did to junkrat, just shameful

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

You are going to have to pay big bucks to unlock a classic junkrat model.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the changes to competitive are good, gamers in general lack both the critical thinking abilities and emotional maturity to deal with real ELO/MMR systems like chess

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

headcase posted:

You are going to have to pay big bucks to unlock a classic junkrat model.

I weep for all the new generations that won't know the story of dirty Junkrat.
All they will know is cleanrat.

#Junkraterasure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I am pretty ok with the competitive ranking system changes, and might even go back to it now!

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 28, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

the changes to competitive are good, gamers in general lack both the critical thinking abilities and emotional maturity to deal with real ELO/MMR systems like chess

Now they are just going to complain that the engine is conspiring to hold them back by artificially making them lose half their games.

In all honesty, it will feel good to have some room to climb a bit every season after being set back.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So hold on, they removed the borders to stop people pre-judging teammates, then added namecards that show how high you climbed in a season, allowing people to pre-judge their teammates?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Don't question it. Just get ready to uninstall and move on when they triple down on the monetization and anti-toxicity measures that end up breeding toxicity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

headcase posted:

I am going to miss seeing people lose their poo poo over that magic number. Gamers are not equipped to handle real feedback.

I don't see why a chess rating would be bad for any game.

this is the best thing about really every mmr/elo system. they're incredibly good at evaluating how good someone is at winning. players are incredibly bad at evaluating how good they are at winning. the gap between the two is what we call the 'cope zone'

headcase posted:

Now they are just going to complain that the engine is conspiring to hold them back by artificially making them lose half their games.

In all honesty, it will feel good to have some room to climb a bit every season after being set back.

yeah it's not changing anything, buncha people still gonna be not the rank they believe they should be so there'll still be as much whining as ever. that said, imo it's good to rework mmr systems periodically because people generally like the chance to see how they do in a fresh system and it's an easy way to ditch all the bad feelings people have towards the old one.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 29, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Ostensibly competitive game modes in team-based games that don’t enforce joining/queuing as a premade team are stupid as hell and break peoples’ brains.

People demand em tho because the constant feedback and grind are addictive, and having a team of randos allows you to subconsciously offload all responsibility for failure onto others while getting to feel personally validated by success.

If gamers actually wanted a true test and representation of their skills 1v1 games like Starcraft wouldn’t be dead and card games like Magic and Hearthstone wouldn’t have followed a long trend of increasing variance in gameplay.

Play mystery heroes, attain enlightenment.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So hold on, they removed the borders to stop people pre-judging teammates, then added namecards that show how high you climbed in a season, allowing people to pre-judge their teammates?

They removed the level borders (that were based on how much play time you had) and the rank borders (for cases like if you’re near ranking up or the last year of OW1 Diamond tanks in Masters and GM games because there weren’t enough tanks in queue). They removed these because they were forced.

They added titles that are an opt-in method for showing off your previous season rank.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't get the 7 wins or 20 losses thing. Why not just a fixed 10 game review?

e: it also seems pretty easy to mentally convert "plat 1" to "2500-2599"

headcase fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 29, 2022

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

adhuin posted:

I haven't played the Gundam OW-game, but I've seen Angryjoe video about it.
I just don't care about the robots and the gameplay and maps looked a bit clunky.

I played half a match, it felt dumb, Alt-F4d and went back to Mystery Heroes

I wish they weren't killing OW1, it's been chill and fun for my quick FPS fix for forever, and it's about all my aging reflexes can take at this point.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The comp changes are interesting. It's kind of like perpetual placement matches where you get updates after a number of games instead of after every one. I think it'll be less of a mental punch in the face every game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

headcase posted:

I don't get the 7 wins or 20 losses thing. Why not just a fixed 10 game review?

e: it also seems pretty easy to mentally convert "plat 1" to "2500-2599"

dodges the 'they're trying to force a 50:50 winrate' stuff and also it will reshape where the boundaries for divisions are relative to player skill, which (at least in popular games) tends to incentivize people to push harder to hit new ranks that they haven't previously hit. Particularly late in a season when there likely will be rank inflation or w/e. also more directly: It's a lot of games to move up or down a tier since 7 wins is going to average out to like 12-15 games played and 20 losses is going to be ~25 games played in practice.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my question is if I've merged my console and PC accounts, are they playing off the same SR

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wejensen? What? Did Junkrat get a name change like McCree did? Since when? :psyduck:

E: Also kind of funny that they're basically reimplementing the stats system they had way back during the OW1 beta. I think this is better since gold medals were a pretty opaque way to judge your and others' performance and only served to induce rage and vitriol anyways.

E2: I'd wager they'll make a new dirty Junkrat Mythic skin at some point for some sweet gamer cash at some point too lol

E3: I also agree with the 7 wins/20 losses for SR change as a positive. I would have enjoyed comp mode a lot more if it didn't feel like each match was a stressful life-or-death affair with people constantly raging at each other because of stakes being match-to-match.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 29, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dodges the 'they're trying to force a 50:50 winrate' stuff and also it will reshape where the boundaries for divisions are relative to player skill, which (at least in popular games) tends to incentivize people to push harder to hit new ranks that they haven't previously hit. Particularly late in a season when there likely will be rank inflation or w/e. also more directly: It's a lot of games to move up or down a tier since 7 wins is going to average out to like 12-15 games played and 20 losses is going to be ~25 games played in practice.

OK I'm starting to get it. So generally you will only see the 7 win updates unless you are on a really bad streak and then you will occasionally see the 20 loss one before another 7 win update.

e: ^^^ Im guessing that is 1 player in a custom game with a bunch of bots and he chose junkrat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wejensen? What? Did Junkrat get a name change like McCree did? Since when? :psyduck:

Nah, thats the player who took the screenshot I assume.
Beta prob just doesn't show other players battle tag names at the moment.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Garry Junkrat was a member of the development team the character was named after, however he was recently quietly let go due to multiple accusations of sexual misconduct and so the character had to be changed

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Junkrat did not intend to get cleaned up, but Moira insisted in the name of science. Thankfully he had enough of her science poo poo when he saw his reflection and got the gently caress outta there.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

TLDR: Old custom game modes and codes work and you can play them in OW2,
but you can't create new game modes at launch. It will be updated in future patch.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

adhuin posted:

but you can't create new game modes at launch. It will be updated in future patch.

The Bastion Stairs community breathes a sigh of relief

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

First skin bundles were on twitter.

Still no pricing.
That left Sojourn skin looks pretty good, others are meh.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They're all ones you'd be like "huh yeah ok that's alright I guess" coming out of a lootbox you got levelling up but not worth whatever they're undoubtedly going to be charging for them I'm sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adding neon brim to a trilby hat looks stupid.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Jack Trades posted:

Adding neon brim to a trilby hat looks stupid.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

adhuin posted:

Is there a custom game mode that recreates overwatch 1 at launch? Not a joke post, i don't know how many variables these modes can change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there a custom game mode that recreates overwatch 1 at launch? Not a joke post, i don't know how many variables these modes can change.

I only poked at it a little but I'm fairly sure that yes, you can re-create OW1 in it.