Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Any recommendations for a controller thing for my S21+?

Most looking to play GameCube and Dead Cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gamesir works great for me, but if you don't mind a little bit more input lag the ipega is a fraction of the price

Rolo posted:

Size comparison of the 353V. Looks like it’s gonna be perfect

God dammit I'm starting to get sold on this thing

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Aware posted:

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/nintendo/products/retro-fighters-duelist-wireless-controller

I'm assuming since it has bluetooth it'll work with your phone.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Aware posted:

For USB C controller thingies, I recommend the Razer Kishi V2, which I like quite a bit though it's around 100 bucks. You can find the V1 for cheaper, though it's Dpad isnt quite as good - there is a fix to make it snappier with putting a few layers of masking tape as a pivot, though! I did that with my V1 and it worked well for action games. I put some Skull & Co thumbstick covers on my V2 and had a good time.

I also tried out the Gamesir X2 USB C model, but it has the plug on the opposite side, so some games/settings get weird with landscape mode. Also, its proprietary software is sketchy as hell, but you only need that if you want to do crazy rebinds.

I used my Kishi V1/2 for thousands of hours of FFXIV, and I even played a chunk of PS5-streamed Elden Ring with it on my S20 FE. Shockingly good!

Though, if you're not in a rush, Backbone (of iOS and podcast advertising fame) is putting out their Android model in November, for around a hundred bucks. The Kishi V2 mimics much of Backbone's features, but Razer's software is awful and folks say the Backbone has a better set of sticks.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks! The Kishi and the X2 are exactly what I was looking at. I think I'll try the Kishi.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For anyone who's ordered direct from Retroid, how long does it usually take to arrive? Want the Pocket 3...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ordered my RP2 back in the day and once it shipped it took about a week.

My Anbernic stuff moved insanely fast. Like here from china in 3 days.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The other big company handheld is coming up, though unlike Logitech's Snapdragon 720 for $300 this is the flagship Snapdragon G3x that Qualcomm supposedly made for this device. I'm expecting it to be hilariously expensive.
https://twitter.com/GLKCreative/status/1575178537753001986

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Looks like the same unbelievably poo poo D-pad that they use on the Kishi as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really hope the 3rd party handheld console scene keeps taking off. I want competition to give me something smaller than the Deck but more powerful than the Switch. With Windows. And other stuff!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I really hope the 3rd party handheld console scene keeps taking off. I want competition to give me something smaller than the Deck but more powerful than the Switch. With Windows. And other stuff!

Give me something as big as a RG351p but it can somehow run all current gen console stuff. Like, a day after the next gen of mainstream consoles gets released, preferably.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
And can heat my house!

Real talk though, a Switch Lite sized thing with windows and so-so performance would be awesome. I could throw all my Steam indie games and retroarch on it then stop giving Nintendo money.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I think the Ayaneo Air is almost there, the main issue being the older AMD APU they’re using on it alongside the small battery. I hope they do an update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

And can heat my house!

Real talk though, a Switch Lite sized thing with windows and so-so performance would be awesome. I could throw all my Steam indie games and retroarch on it then stop giving Nintendo money.

Like the aya neo air?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ayaneo put out about 4 devices a year at this point, they're starting to ramp up marketing for the Ayaneo 2 and Geek models, both of which use the 6800U. Also in what's probably the smartest move, they're using a 1280x800 screen on the Geek same as the Steam Deck as well.

Meanwhile Ayn is just in its corner crying over a production line.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Meanwhile Ayn is just in its corner crying over a production line.

they ran out of screens again

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ayaneo air
Ayn loki
Anbernic win600

There's a couple out there. Some of them are even real

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
retroid 3 on amazon when..........

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm still waiting on the release of the Miyoo P60, I want to see how it compares to the RP3 before choosing a device

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

Size comparison of the 353V. Looks like it’s gonna be perfect

That looks like a nice gameboy pocket size. Also there's more size comparisons in the RGC video review:

Retro Game Corps full RG353V review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bG3yPF2hfM

The Phawx RG353V review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhcl8br5gg

Retro Handhelds RG353V review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqIWbKsY4g

Analog sticks seem kinda useless? However I guess it's better for the d-pad and face buttons to be promoted and the analog sticks to be demoted, unlike that powkiddy with the happy face.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 1, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet I’ve been waiting for Russ’s video

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

If I weren't broke and happy with my combo of miyoo mini + steam deck, I would definitely be looking at the 353V. Looks like a great handheld that fixes my "big" problems with the 351V (size and shoulder buttons).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Sweet I’ve been waiting for Russ’s video

His videos are incredibly chill and I enjoy watching them even if I have no interest in the device itself

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hope Russ gets a win max 2 so I can see what a fool I’ve made of myself.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Marcus I know you have a million of these have you pulled the trigger on the Odin yet? Clear purple powerhouse emulator thing looks appealing to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Marcus I know you have a million of these have you pulled the trigger on the Odin yet? Clear purple powerhouse emulator thing looks appealing to me.

Yes I have an Odin pro and I do have to say it’s a very nice handheld. It’s a shame that Odin is having such issues because their stuff is nice.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The Odin is probably my favorite handheld but yeah, AYN has had a rocky history, to say the least. I'm decently sure that when the Loki and its nine million variants come out, they'll probably be fine, but I can't say I don't see why people are skeptical about them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Another new Anbernic leaked, this one is vertical, smaller than the 351V and without joysticks. If it’s as powerful as the RK3326 and comes in at least 1 neat color then it’ll check all my boxes until I eventually get a windows handheld of some kind.

Please be real.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Off-brand Miyoo Mini.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Miyoo is just a hair too small for me, otherwise I would have gotten that blue and never looked back.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Miyoo is great but they’re not kidding about the Mini part. New Anbernic looks cool.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

Off-brand Miyoo Mini.
More like the RG300 is back - it's so close you might think Anbernic is reusing old shells if not for the back

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
RG353V shipped this morning. Fly 4PX fly!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
And the little guy showed up today. I gotta say this thing feels as solid as I’d expect but the overall size is perfect. Basically just did to the RG351V what the GBC did to the DMG.

And it’s motha fuckn atomic purple son.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Stop making me want that.
I was just lamenting today that it will probably be a few months before my analogue pocket shows up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Rolo posted:

And the little guy showed up today. I gotta say this thing feels as solid as I’d expect but the overall size is perfect. Basically just did to the RG351V what the GBC did to the DMG.

She’s cute! In related news, I heard that the rp3 is coming in funtastic colors soon!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

remigious posted:

She’s cute! In related news, I heard that the rp3 is coming in funtastic colors soon!

I don’t really want a 16:9 device but their funtastic colors they did the RP2 were gorgeous.

Edit: It charges via USB C -> USB C now! Not a big thing for everyone but now I can take the USB A brick out of my travel bag for good.

Edit 2: this thing runs Mario 64 and DC Ikaruga pretty good right out of the box. After some optimizing this is going to be a serious upgrade for me.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 14, 2022

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Your post in PYF about the 353v got me to purchase it immediately as well as find this thread, thanks! I dunno why they bothered making other colors besides the sweet atomic purple one though.
Mine's still on the way from China but very excited for it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I finally tried out my 351p after taking a car trip. The Megadrive era stuff runs great, even if the screen did seem a little small for RPGs and the like (albeit that could being not having perfect vision any more.) The billed/reviewed running of PS1 games wasn't there though. I tried a couple of games, and they all had audio glitching/skipping, showing it's just not running quite right.

I'm using a fairly recent Amberelec and the PS1 stuff is disappointing. Especially when I thought N64 would be pushing it and I'd have to fiddle with that whereas PS1 was supposed to be OK.

Is there something I should be looking at with the Retroarch settings for PS1? Seeing the 353v now has me tempted for that, with the better screen and slightly better specs, and I'd pass off the one month old (to me) 351p to my brother for when he travels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rolo posted:

Well of course you think it's a straight upgrade, you didn't get the wood grain 351v