Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maybe not the right thread but; what vacuum cleaners do y'all recommend? The one I inherited from my grandma that she got in the 70s is finally about done. We have a lot of pets so something that's good with thick shag carpet and hairs, if such a thing exists.

Shark or Dyson stuff is good. People will poo poo on Dyson because the guy Mr Dyson is a loving idiot which is true. Our Dyson animal or whatever works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maybe not the right thread but; what vacuum cleaners do y'all recommend? The one I inherited from my grandma that she got in the 70s is finally about done. We have a lot of pets so something that's good with thick shag carpet and hairs, if such a thing exists.

When I got married I had a Dyson and my wife had a Shark. The Dyson ended up breaking in multiple places and required hundreds of dollars of parts. I've since come to really like the Shark. It's built like a tank and sucks appropriately.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've had a Dyson DC17 Animal edition for about 15 years now. Zero issues with it, I've never even changed the roller belt on it. I like my Dyson so much I bought a second Dyson (smaller ball model) for the 2nd story of my house (a cheap refurb on ebay for like 140 bucks). I've always had multiple cats so we vacuum a lot.

There's other options out there depending on the features you want. Cordless vacuums are good for quick pickups and touchups but they do not replace a full size plug in vacuum.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Love our Dyson V11 Animal.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I was replacing some old window blinds and turns out the section of trim across the top of the windows had been taken out to make room for the blinds leaving a big gap there where cold air gets in and kinda explains why this room was so cold in the winter. I think it would probably not be a bad idea to pull all the trim off, run a line of caulk to seal any gaps, and reinstall the trim. Any problem with this? Is sealing off those gaps gonna cause, I dunno, mold or moisture issues or anything?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've had two Shark stick vacs and they both have been wonderful. I only got rid of the first one because my girlfriend moved in and wanted a cordless, so I picked up their battery powered model.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll add one for Dyson. Dc27 that we've had for ... 10+ years and it's been great. No issues. Good suction, easy to empty and clean.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve had a Dyson something or other (orange ball plug in) for 10 years and it’s been bulletproof

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Final Blog Entry posted:

Were you using a new tip or an old blown out one that came with the used sprayer? As tips wear the orifice gets bigger and the pattern goes from a nice flat fan pattern to a rounded spray pattern.

Paint manufactures will specify tip orifice size on the can and/or on the product data sheet. Most latex paint will say something like a .015-.019 recommended range. When you buy a tip the first number in the size is half of the fan width at 12" from the substrate and the last two numbers are the orifice. So a 515 tip is a 10" fan with a .015" orifice. Fan width is going to come down toyour preference and how big of something you're painting. The thing to remember is that at a given orifice size fan width will dictate how much milage you're laying down as you go. A 215 is going to put down twice as many mils as a 415 because you have the same amount of paint going on a 4" area instead of 8". From there you're controlling milage with how fast you're moving the gun.

Verman posted:

That's what scared me about smaller tips. You need to move the gun faster because you're putting out the same amount of paint in a smaller area meaning you need to move faster to prevent runs and drips, especially on harder surfaces like metal.

Maybe that's where I went wrong the first time. I got the recommended size new from Sherwin Williams, but I was intimidated by the fan size. So, I got a smaller fan tip and that's where it felt like a fire hose. I still got good coverage, but my spray pattern ended up with some stripes if you look at it at an angle.

The stuff I've done with the handheld look great from all angles.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We used to be Dyson folks because I got one for half price at a store closing sale as a floor model. It still works fine 15 years later but it is heavy as hell. We gave it to a friend a few years ago and bought a shark which does the same job for half the weight. No pets though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a Dyson Fluffy but I still use my little corded vacuum (see link) for full-house cleaning because the Dyson is too narrow and powerful that it's not appropriate for all surfaces. My parents in the US have a full-size Shark and it is so heavy that I dislike using it.

(Older version of this style https://panasonic.jp/sanyo-cleaner/p-db/SC-XW33J(W).html)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I despise our dyson cordless (v7 I think). The battery life is completely poo poo after one year of light use. Meanwhile we have a cheap Shark upright going strong after 7 years of abuse.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Bought a dyson ball animal 2 a few years ago. Works well enough.

Might be inclined to stick with them for customer service. We bought through their website at MSRP, and like shortly after it went on sale on Amazon. Contacted Dyson and they gave us like half the price back without even thinking about it.

Then like a few months ago the brush head started smelling like burnt rubber, so I asked them for a replacement belt... turns out that's not user serviceable (which is... questionable at best), but it's under warranty so they fixed it for free.. easy process, bring to UPS store, and 2 weeks later a fixed vacuum arrives on your doorstep, they paid shipping both ways. On top of that sent out a whole new brush head assembly for the next time in breaks... Which tells me either this is a known issue or they are just being nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shark Pet XL

There are some downsides compared to the Dyson Animals which I've used previously, but overall I think it's probably better.
Plus it was cheaper.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bought a refurbished Shark Duo 3-years ago and it is still going strong. The amount of crap it picks up, especially cat hair, is stunning. I usually have to empty the canister at least once while vacuuming less than 600-SF. Though I do have six cats.

It's discontinued; the next current model is the Shark AZ1002 Apex.

I tend to pay attention to what commercial buildings use, which was how I wound up with a Panasonic upright I use in the garage now (too heavy for my wife).

I also trash-picked & refurbed three Orecks. They are light, and generally work well, but jesus christ they are loud AF.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

I do have six cats.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Right?

That's some self control.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shark stick vacuums are pretty excellent, they're lightweight but very powerful. We use it to supplement a roomba, which is what we use in most rooms.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Our big fluffy cat murdered two Sharks in four years, but the Dyson Animal has defeated his attempts to leave entire cats worth of fur behind

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I bought a brand spanking new apartment back in January, and there were a bunch of problems. Now, many months of legal issues later, they are going to come by and fix this dreadful internal storage room they built. The original paperwork said that the ventilation was going to be built-in/boxed-in, and any pipes clad and painted. However, this is what they did instead:

Now, I have had to make some major concessions regarding bad things they did to the bathroom, so I will basically get to ask for whatever I like here, but I don't really know anything about building.

I would think a false ceiling makes most sense because they have not run the pipes along just one edge of the wall, but they will probably be pissed that they have to touch the sprinklers (and possibly the light?). I don't care if that's what is going to end up looking best though. For the ventilation unit I think they're going to have to box it in and provide a maintenance hatch. I would think making a false wall is overkill and would reduce my storage space more than neccesary.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thotsky posted:

What problem are you trying to solve? I get that you think this heater is too easy to service in your utility closet. You want to use it as a storage room? Why does your storage room need to be "pretty" and just how pretty do you need it?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's a ventilation unit, not really a heater as far as I know, I need it to not be an eyesore, and a little less noise would be nice too. I will be switching the filter like once a year, if that, so not too worried about "reduced access".

Yeah, it's a storage room, one people will be entering a lot to fetch drinks and stuff.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 29, 2022

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

The best approach would be to leave it as a utility closet. If you box in/wall in that unit (even if you leave a 'maintenance hatch') the unit cannot be replaced easily. If you want to wall it in, install a full height door that is at least the width of the unit plus six inches, but even that makes it hard to service and isn't something I would recommend.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The wires sitting on top of that ventilation unit are a bit untidy, otherwise I think that all looks very clean and neat. :shrug:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sirotan posted:

The wires sitting on top of that ventilation unit are a bit untidy, otherwise I think that all looks very clean and neat. :shrug:

Agreed, that looks better as-is than 90% of utility closets I've ever seen.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does the company have examples of the work they quoted on their website (making the pipes pretty or whatever)?

Do other apartments in your area have a similar closet done in the finish style you seek?

I would say just find an example like that and say "do this please" because it seems like to people here, and I agree, a closet door leading to the entire room is perfectly fine and further closing things off will just be a headache.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

I bought a brand spanking new apartment back in January, and there were a bunch of problems. Now, many months of legal issues later, they are going to come by and fix this dreadful internal storage room they built. The original paperwork said that the ventilation was going to be built-in/boxed-in, and any pipes clad and painted. However, this is what they did instead:

Now, I have had to make some major concessions regarding bad things they did to the bathroom, so I will basically get to ask for whatever I like here, but I don't really know anything about building.

I would think a false ceiling makes most sense because they have not run the pipes along just one edge of the wall, but they will probably be pissed that they have to touch the sprinklers (and possibly the light?). I don't care if that's what is going to end up looking best though. For the ventilation unit I think they're going to have to box it in and provide a maintenance hatch. I would think making a false wall is overkill and would reduce my storage space more than neccesary.

Get them to put in some shelves to make it more useful.

Buy a cool shower curtain to hide the pipe ugliness.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right?

That's some self control.

I had four.

My lovely future daughter-in-law and my wife conspired to surprise me with two kittens last Father's Day ('21). I was not consulted.

One of the four is 18 and should be shuffling off his mortal coil sooner than later. Poor Noodles is deaf and blind...has no problem finding the cat boxes in the basement. Yet.

So I was kinda looking forward to just having three, but I love my ladies & will not disappoint them.

Changing six catboxes every other day is a chore, though.

thotsky posted:

I bought a brand spanking new apartment back in January, a...

I would think a false ceiling makes most sense because they have not run the pipes along just one edge of the wall, but they will probably be pissed that they have to touch the sprinklers

No one is touching those sprinklers for any price; it's pressurized - either dry or wet - and draining that means calling the sprinkler folks who will charge a stunningly large figure to evacuate it, do whatever it is that you want to do with the sprinklers, then recharge & re-certify the system.

It's a utility room that has room to store stuff in it. There is no way to mitigate the sounds it makes by installing a drop ceiling alone; you'd have to insulate all 4-walls & the ceiling.

The HVAC is boxed in: its in its own room.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 30, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DP again, Twice in an hour. Christ.

Here's Noodles, helping me work, back when he could still get up to my desk. While blind.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 30, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

Here's Noodles, helping me work, back when he could still get up to my desk. While blind.

Aww!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

An honest to god rolodex.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What? Where do you keep your passwords?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I keep the password on a post it under the keyboard.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Can you tell us the model # of that wacky box HVAC device? It won't help answer your question but I admit I am curious

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inner Light posted:

Can you tell us the model # of that wacky box HVAC device? It won't help answer your question but I admit I am curious

If you zoom in on one of the photos it’s a Nordic S2 or S3 air handler

OP is not in the US, and it looks like it’s a heat exchanger /fresh air system.

https://www.flexit.no/en/products/air_handling_units_300-700_m-h/nordic_s2/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

(reposting from yos)
Finally picked up our screen door after our builder said it never came in but it was sitting since last April - and it doesn’t appear to fit? unless I’m doing something wrong :/

I mean - they probably make these all the time - feels like it should just slide in

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Some privacy fence replaced in anticipation of a getting a puppy and gently caress fences are expensive

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

(reposting from yos)
Finally picked up our screen door after our builder said it never came in but it was sitting since last April - and it doesn’t appear to fit? unless I’m doing something wrong :/

I mean - they probably make these all the time - feels like it should just slide in

That gap seems like the kind of thing you'd want some sort of weatherstripping on anyway.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Basement window question. Mine need replacing, it is not a standard size. The steel framing is rusting through and corrosion is eating up the aluminum parts.

There is a steel frame that is cast into the poured concrete basement. The outer window is a single pane with aluminum extrusion stripping. The PO added an internal plexiglass sheet that is o questionable value.

My plan is to remove the steel portion, smooth down the concrete, attach treated 2X4's on the interior to act as a nailing flange and then buy a custom window that I will attach to the 2X4's.

Am I on the right track? I'm having a hard time finding a window narrow enough (28 1/4" X 10"). Is there another solution I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That’s what I did. I got my custom sized basement windows from http://www.windowestore.com which I don’t know about quality but it was one of the rare places I could size a casement window, get a quote, and order.