Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

This isn't the Sky is Blue & Water is Wet thread :colbert:

Why has nobody been able to make another MOO 2. :words: don't @ me about Stellaris, it should be called stale-aris :rimshot:

No one can make another MOO 2 because it's impossible to recapture your lost youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

as culturally important as The Wizard was, I disagree :colbert:

It's cool if u were like a little wiener kid or whatever, but when Mario world got released videogames were decidedly more mature.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Breetai posted:

Mario World > Mario 3.

this is p much true about all SNES vs NES games. they didn't call it "Nintendo hard" for nothing and it was shoddy game design.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mario 3 was way, way easier than World.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Super Mario world is not as good as Mario sunshine OR Mario land 3: wario land

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I hate when a new game in a franchise comes out and people try to poo poo on it going 'wah it's just more of the same!'

Yeah! It is! That's why I'm playing it! I'm not playing Darker Souls or Super Mario Road Trip or Pokemon Inverse and Reverse because I want something new and different! I'm playing them because I want more of the same! If I wanted to play something different I'd be playing something different!

SCheeseman posted:

Mario 3 was way, way easier than World.

No way. World was way easier than 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vandar posted:

I hate when a new game in a franchise comes out and people try to poo poo on it going 'wah it's just more of the same!'

Yeah! It is! That's why I'm playing it! I'm not playing Darker Souls or Super Mario Road Trip or Pokemon Inverse and Reverse because I want something new and different! I'm playing them because I want more of the same! If I wanted to play something different I'd be playing something different!

I guess it depends on how you play it. If you mean it's easier to get to the end of the game, sure, but if you actually run through all of the content there's some real bullshit in SMW's secret levels.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It...SURE DOES have *excellent* writing, like the kind...you might find...in CLASSIC *literature*

or you know you could throw runny feces as the top of a wall, let it drip down, add some completely unnecessary ellipses and other marks for emphasis that you'd never see in a written work that was actually meant to be read, and call it game of the year

I find this pretty loving funny actually. You could've dug deeper for some quotes that actually miss the mark

And I didn't even like the game that much

Vandar posted:

I'm really liking this game called Soulstice that I guess is trying to be like DMC with a bit of dark souls and people are hating on. but it's fun and good to me so whatever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Play posted:

I'm really liking this game called Soulstice that I guess is trying to be like DMC with a bit of dark souls and people are hating on. but it's fun and good to me so whatever.

Yooo that actually looks kind of rad.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SCheeseman posted:

I guess it depends on how you play it. If you mean it's easier to get to the end of the game, sure, but if you actually run through all of the content there's some real bullshit in SMW's secret levels.

SMB3 world 8 airship and 8-1 both kicked my rear end a lot as a kid. I never beat it on console. I didn't have a SNES as a kid so I don't have a direct comparison, but having played both on emulator, I still think SMB3 is quite a bit harder. SMW is very hand-holdy with powerups and stuff, especially the ability to backtrack and grab powerups/yoshis from previous levels. And most of its bullshit levels were optional.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Vandar posted:

I get that.

But at the same time sometimes a game is good in part because of its potential or novelty so when a sequel hits and its basically the same it's a disappointment. The Walking Dead and Telltale games were that for me. I enjoyed The Walking Dead but also felt like it missed the mark and had some problems. So when I finished I thought if they improved on the formula I'd be in for another one. So when Wolf Among Us came out and had all the same issues I just noped out of Telltale games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

Man, we'd have to create a whole 'nother thread just for all the ways to rightfully poo poo on Stellaris. I regret every cent given to them over that.

why did they remove the three different types of FTL travel?! Argh you lazy loving designers that was the coolest feature of your game :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

Beating Mario 3 is harder than beating Mario world. But mario world has more challenging bonus stages

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
oh i totally missed the 'new game in a FRANCHISE' part whoops

anyways perfecting a winning formula is fine, that's what From has been doing for a long time, but that also means there should be some noticeable improvements. unless you think your formula is literally perfect which seems unlikely

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

Man, we'd have to create a whole 'nother thread just for all the ways to rightfully poo poo on Stellaris. I regret every cent given to them over that.

Don't hold out on us, what's wrong with Stellaris?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Beartaco posted:

fridge corn like it so it must suck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just skipped over 400 posts to end up here how auspicious

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tbh I dont know if I like stellaris. I've been playing it a lot but I'm new to the game so I'm still just figuring it out. I've only just gotten to the mid game in my current game and idk it's very very slow. I could see myself getting bored with it quite easily. Doesnt seem to have the same variance and replayability that civ6 has

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I haven't played it for ages but what broke me was the midgame. A combination of all the little micromanagement involved with planets and orbitals and whatnot combined with how static the map was. It felt like there was so little you could do and everything you would do was done because of calculation rather than decision.

I think the only people who like Stellaris past the early game are people who use it to tell themselves stories. The actual game part of it never really comes together.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I just skipped over 400 posts to end up here how auspicious

How bizarre how bizarre, Doo Doo Doo, Doo Doo Doo, Doo Doo Doo, Doo Doo Doo, Doo Doo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Phigs posted:

I haven't played it for ages but what broke me was the midgame. A combination of all the little micromanagement involved with planets and orbitals and whatnot combined with how static the map was. It felt like there was so little you could do and everything you would do was done because of calculation rather than decision.

I think the only people who like Stellaris past the early game are people who use it to tell themselves stories. The actual game part of it never really comes together.

That's sort of where I'm at with it. The early game is fun when you're expanding and trying to find and acquire choke points but after that it's sort of what? I'm not sure what the win conditions are. The maps are boring, theres no features like terrain or anything that need to be considered. There doesnt seem to be enough differences between civs or species or whatever to dictate play styles much. Not like civ6 where different civs or leaders have wildly different bonuses or features to really change what and how you can do things. Theres no reason to play in any specific way other than to simply roleplay whatever faction you happen to be playing as

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

yeah i basically just used stellaris to pretend i'm hari seldon from the Foundation novels manipulating the course of galactic history

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Beartaco posted:

ooooo, where to begin? I think the best way of saying it is that the game sells well due to the dream of what people want it to be (the space 4x that does everything from fluffy roleplaying to Dyson spheres), rather than the reality of what it actually is (tedious micro hell, frustrating half-assed and/or primitive mechanics, an AI so bad it can't even build self-sustaining cities without a 2x bonus to resources, tedious micro hell). If I was really trying to say something inflammatory I'd call it a very mild case of the Starcitizen syndrome.

Wrapped up all around that is the mess known as the Paradox business model, where every product starts out as a premium purchase, turns into a rolling-release style of software, with the kicker that the intended evolving experience also needs endless exploitative* DLC. I personally threw the towel in twice, first after the disastrous 1.0 edition, and again around the 2.2 era just after they released the espionage DLC(*) which actually made the vanilla game straight-up worse if you didn't buy it.

edit: I know I focused on crunchy stuff there, but I'll also say that the game doesn't really do roleplaying all that well for the amount of make-your-own-fun that is expected to happen. The game has a wonderful narrative experience for your first playthrough, but that's mostly gone by the 2nd/3rd game (and replayability is a big part of 4x games), and what you're left with is a bunch of very primitive cardboard cutouts failing to masquerade as player foils. Stellaris' contemporaries such as Civ6 or Endless Space 2 -or gently caress even SoaSE from 2010- do a better job of it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 29, 2022

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The real problems with stellaris are under the hood. You essentially have to do genocide or play a small map just for endgame performance reasons. This is why they keep adding genocide content, because everyone who makes it to the endgame without genocide quits because everything takes too long

e: also, as someone w/ a lot of hours in stellaris who hasn't played in months, what kills me is all the clicking in the early game to survey everything, build all the mines, and build the same build orders everywhere. There's just no variation in the vast majority of micromanagement. I wish i could automate science ships from the start, and construction ships too. And in the endgame, conquest is even worse once you have multiple fleets and multiple armies and are just sweeping uncontested space conquering planets as fast as possible before the war ends automatically. I wish you could attach armies to fleets and click auto conquer

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 29, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stellaris is good because I made a race of psionic penguins and they ended up triumphing over the Zerg and ultimately subjugated the entire galaxy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every sequel with very few exceptions should be "more of the same", otherwise why even make it a sequel!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

jokes posted:

Stellaris is good because I made a race of psionic penguins and they ended up triumphing over the Zerg and ultimately subjugated the entire galaxy

Hard to argue with psionic penguins

precision posted:

every sequel with very few exceptions should be "more of the same", otherwise why even make it a sequel!

Remasters are even more more of the same, which makes them superior to sequels.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Serephina posted:

ooooo, where to begin? I think the best way of saying it is that the game sells well due to the dream of what people want it to be (the space 4x that does everything from fluffy roleplaying to Dyson spheres), rather than the reality of what it actually is (tedious micro hell, frustrating half-assed and/or primitive mechanics, an AI so bad it can't even build self-sustaining cities without a 2x bonus to resources, tedious micro hell). If I was really trying to say something inflammatory I'd call it a very mild case of the Starcitizen syndrome.

Wrapped up all around that is the mess known as the Paradox business model, where every product starts out as a premium purchase, turns into a rolling-release style of software, with the kicker that the intended evolving experience also needs endless exploitative* DLC. I personally threw the towel in twice, first after the disastrous 1.0 edition, and again around the 2.2 era just after they released the espionage DLC(*) which actually made the vanilla game straight-up worse if you didn't buy it.

I have only played the vanilla console edition whatever that is that's included for "free" with the new sonypass but the staggering amount of very expensive dlc is rather off putting. Good to know it isnt worth it in the slightest.

I think I'm going to keep playing my current game until I get bored of it but probably call it quits after that. It was only supposed to keep me occupied until the valkyrie profile port was released but thsts been delayed til December :negative:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
More games should follow the Legend of Zelda, then Adventure of Link model imho.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
a bad videogame remaster of a game you once loved is 100x worse than a new bad videogame

its a moot point though, there are no bad remasters, only bad games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Honestly stellaris did the paradox DLC thing pretty well. You do get all the features without it, but the game will also be more boring because all the related stories and events are in the DLC. If you do really like the game, it might be worth getting some DLC on sale.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SilvergunSuperman posted:

So far in fallout 4 the plot is contrived and dumb as hell, the janky rear end city building system is ridiculous and hilarious, having a lot of fun!

the city building stuff is really fun, anything Fallout-related in FO4 sucks poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

a bad videogame remaster of a game you once loved is 100x worse than a new bad videogame

Tactics ogre remaster is looking like a proper remake. SE seems to have gotten their poo poo together and knows how to remake a beloved game

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Squeenix are doing their best to prove you wrong.

Edit:

jokes posted:

Tactics ogre remaster is looking like a proper remake. SE seems to have gotten their poo poo together and knows how to remake a beloved game

lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 3 was the best fallout game, yes i'm even including those trash 90's slideshows that were dated back when friends was on tv

itry
Aug 23, 2019

For a clown (to poop on).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tactics Ogre is perhaps the single stupidest videogame name I have ever heard, "Ogre Tactics" - now that sounds cool, I've never seen a second of "Tactics Ogre" and i can just tell its some isometric anime horse poop

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there are definintely some bad remasters

Silent Hill HD, Square's abominable mobile versions, etc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tactics Ogre is perhaps the single stupidest videogame name I have ever heard, "Ogre Tactics" - now that sounds cool, I've never seen a second of "Tactics Ogre" and i can just tell its some isometric anime horse poop

Oh yeah for sure, but the story is like 10% more comprehensible than final fantasy tactics and the gameplay is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I never played Valkyrie Profile so the release of the psp port for ps5 is to be my first time playing. It's a new game to me