Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

haha well, I suppose it's not hard for Christopher Robin to score 41 home runs, when his opposition consists of mere toys! :D

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

40) Bayonetta 2 (All Platinum Awards, All Umbran Tears of Blood and Rodin Beat with Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rosa) - No Item Use

Aside from Metal Gear July, this has been my big gaming project while I've been without a PC. 12 playthroughs across the last couple of months in anticipation of Bayo 3 next month. Finished just in time too, I'll have a PC again friday unless it shows up doa

I love this game, I wouldn't have played it so much if I didn't. But there are definitely some issues. Umbran Climax is cool at first, but it completely monopolizes the magic gauge on the lower three difficulties and its almost useless on infinite, except with Rosa where it's still crazy good. Torture Attacks and tetsuzanko just feel like wastes of magic, the only other thing I used magic for aside from UC is Umbran Spear. The magic and combo scoring systems were a lot better in Bayo 1. The Lumen Sage, in all 5 of his incarnations on the hardest difficulty, is complete AIDS blood that's impossible to react to. Certain enemies like Sloth and the flame swordsman horse angel aren't very fun to fight, and the flying boss fights are all very samey and uninteresting. Thank god for the Chain Chomp for those latter two but there's no helping the Lumen Sage, he's just too ridiculous. He's the number 1 reason I played through with all three characters instead of just going for Pure Platinum with just Bayonetta, I just don't think I could do it without items or obvious cheese like the bracelet of time, which I only really used on Rodin. Rodin is just insane, especially phase 2 where goes nuts and attacks so fast that you can't react, you have to dodge proactively. Absurd fight with Jeanne.

All that said I still really enjoyed myself. The game is just plain fun to play and replay. The moveset for Love is Blue just feels so good to get good with, and other weapons like the chainsaws, chain chomp, bow and scythe are a lot of fun too. There are a crazy amount of enemy types since they included nearly every enemy from Bayo 1 along with tons and tons of new ones. Dodge Offset/Charge modifiers are such satisfying mechanics to learn. Tag Climax is one of my favorite co-op multiplayer things, I played it a crazy amount on Wii U but there aren't really that many people still playing on switch lol. Really hope 3 has multiplayer too

I can't wait for Bayonetta 3. While Bayonetta 2 really feels like a pure sequel to 1, 3 looks like something completely new and interesting. Based on the footage that's been shown it seems like they're going back to the way the combo scoring system works in 1 with some new additions, and while something similar to Umbran Climax is in, it seems like it not only has its own separate gauge but is also used for single big moves rather than updating your whole moveset with screen filling moves. Just a few more weeks...

Rest easy, hero.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

River City Ransom

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

40) Bayonetta 2 (All Platinum Awards, All Umbran Tears of Blood and Rodin Beat with Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rosa) - No Item Use

Aside from Metal Gear July, this has been my big gaming project while I've been without a PC. 12 playthroughs across the last couple of months in anticipation of Bayo 3 next month. Finished just in time too, I'll have a PC again friday unless it shows up doa

I love this game, I wouldn't have played it so much if I didn't. But there are definitely some issues. Umbran Climax is cool at first, but it completely monopolizes the magic gauge on the lower three difficulties and its almost useless on infinite, except with Rosa where it's still crazy good. Torture Attacks and tetsuzanko just feel like wastes of magic, the only other thing I used magic for aside from UC is Umbran Spear. The magic and combo scoring systems were a lot better in Bayo 1. The Lumen Sage, in all 5 of his incarnations on the hardest difficulty, is complete AIDS blood that's impossible to react to. Certain enemies like Sloth and the flame swordsman horse angel aren't very fun to fight, and the flying boss fights are all very samey and uninteresting. Thank god for the Chain Chomp for those latter two but there's no helping the Lumen Sage, he's just too ridiculous. He's the number 1 reason I played through with all three characters instead of just going for Pure Platinum with just Bayonetta, I just don't think I could do it without items or obvious cheese like the bracelet of time, which I only really used on Rodin. Rodin is just insane, especially phase 2 where goes nuts and attacks so fast that you can't react, you have to dodge proactively. Absurd fight with Jeanne.

All that said I still really enjoyed myself. The game is just plain fun to play and replay. The moveset for Love is Blue just feels so good to get good with, and other weapons like the chainsaws, chain chomp, bow and scythe are a lot of fun too. There are a crazy amount of enemy types since they included nearly every enemy from Bayo 1 along with tons and tons of new ones. Dodge Offset/Charge modifiers are such satisfying mechanics to learn. Tag Climax is one of my favorite co-op multiplayer things, I played it a crazy amount on Wii U but there aren't really that many people still playing on switch lol. Really hope 3 has multiplayer too

I can't wait for Bayonetta 3. While Bayonetta 2 really feels like a pure sequel to 1, 3 looks like something completely new and interesting. Based on the footage that's been shown it seems like they're going back to the way the combo scoring system works in 1 with some new additions, and while something similar to Umbran Climax is in, it seems like it not only has its own separate gauge but is also used for single big moves rather than updating your whole moveset with screen filling moves. Just a few more weeks...

Rest easy, hero.

Goddamn congrats.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

Rest easy, hero.

wow

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Rest easy, hero.

drat thats intense, good work

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

can't believe people are still playing this lol, good job

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

holy poo poo lol gg

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Rest easy, hero.

wow, grats.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

19. NeverAwake

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

28. D/Generation

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring:
6. Marvel's Spider-Man:
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum:
8. Batman: Arkham City: It fixes every issue I had with Arkham Asylum and improves on everything else with big changes or neat QoL stuff. Really really good game. The only small change I'd make is being able to switch off counter indicators without needing to be on NG+
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: It was fun to play this because it's such a big part of gaming history but I don't think it's aged very well. I'd only really play it if you wanted to play all the Zelda games.
10. Psychonauts 2: It really feels like a sequel to a PS2 game but with much better visuals.
11 Disco Elysium: The Final Cut:
12. Bowser's Fury: Incredibly fun game and each island had a neat theme or mechanic that never overstayed its welcome. That goes for the whole game really, lots of fun little ideas that never overstay their welcome. I kind of missed how many movements Mario normally has in a full 3D title though. My only major gripe is the Bowser gimmick wore thin fairly quickly for me. He mostly didn't matter and was just a mild annoyance but doing the lava roller island when he kept spawning in sucked. They definitely should have let you spawn and respawn him on command in the post game too when they gave you island warp and marked the remaining Cat Shines. A neat QOL I did like was having a bank of different powers you could store and use. Meant you weren't caught out by specific puzzles if you weren't using that exact power-up. Excited to see what's next and loading up Mario 64 immediately.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Arkham city ftw and ive come around on it being better than asylum

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s insanely good. I’ll have to go back and do all the trophies and combat challenges another time. There are just so many and I was about burned out after platting Asylum just before playing it. The size or the city seemed intimidating at first but they ended up with a perfect feeling area to roam.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
doing burnouts in the batmobile to fill an area with smoke then shooting out of it to beat up thugs in the fog ftw

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

78) Alwa's Legacy (100% map completion)

Good pixel art, and not a terrible game, but it's a pretty unremarkable metroidvania otherwise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • SIGIL (9 levels for Doom, 2019. UV Pistol start) 3/5. kinda disappointed in this set considering it was Lord Romero back at the helm...there were some great moments and it was cool how often he used cyberdemons not as a boss but as like a stage hazard. and there were funny gimmick levels with sinking platforms and multikey pathways and teleporting through a demonic fortress etc. but there were so many little annoyances, the entire set was really really cramped and had a lot of damage floors, pretty hard to move around which is half the fun of doom. too many caco fights where your strongest wep is a shotgun...and too much platforming. so much platforming. what are you doing john. but it was still fun and ill play SIGIL 2 whenever it comes out.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i beat castlemania 1. i forgot this game is like 90 minutes long. i paused the game a few times to stand up and i alt tabbed out of the emulator. i did not use save states tho. hopefully i haven't violated the Fatwah of Intendo Wetwo Gaming as propounded by Ayatollah Mattei (Twitter, 2020). if i have i will send him 3 back sides of optimus primes as penance and fast for 3 days.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

i beat castlemania 1. i forgot this game is like 90 minutes long. i paused the game a few times to stand up and i alt tabbed out of the emulator. i did not use save states tho. hopefully i haven't violated the Fatwah of Intendo Wetwo Gaming as propounded by Ayatollah Mattei (Twitter, 2020). if i have i will send him 3 back sides of optimus primes as penance and fast for 3 days.

Get fasting.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

salmon rushdie is glad he's not you

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
6) Armoured Commander II
7) DEADBOLT
8) Shadowrun: Hong Kong + 'Shadows of Hong Kong' bonus campaign
9) Gun Mute
10) A Plague Tale: Innocence
11) Hotline Miami
12) Batman: Arkham Knight
13) Intravenous
14) The Hong Kong Massacre

Eh, it was alright. Definitely not worth its full price by a long-shot, but it was fun enough for the $7AUD I got it for.

ArfJason posted:

Arkham city ftw and ive come around on it being better than asylum

Yeah, I agree - AC was just all-round solid IMO. Seemed like the perfect length, too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Escape from Castle Chezcrea (1 level for Doom II, 2008. UVMax) 4/5. fun demonic castle prison break map with limited arsenal and a good chunk of infighting required to navigate past the prison guard demons. fun, tense adventure that never went big on any encounter while still maintaining a good level of dread+anxiety. well done.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Contra 3 (Normal) - way harder than the first game even on normal. I'll try to beat it on hard I guess

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Castlevania Chronicles (Original and Arrange modes)

Original mode was hard as gently caress. I watched some videos on the Sharp X68000 and it's cool that all the different soundtrack arrangements were carried over to the PSX. Arrange mode was way more forgiving, and the acid techno and rave versions of classic Castlevania songs works better than I would have thought. The redesign for Simon is neat and fits in better with the IGA games' aesthetic.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Castlevania Chronicles (Original and Arrange modes)

Original mode was hard as gently caress. I watched some videos on the Sharp X68000 and it's cool that all the different soundtrack arrangements were carried over to the PSX. Arrange mode was way more forgiving, and the acid techno and rave versions of classic Castlevania songs works better than I would have thought. The redesign for Simon is neat and fits in better with the IGA games' aesthetic.

Nice. I tried the second loop of original but can't get past the part where you're riding up the waterfall. The fishmen shoot too fast

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video
6. The King of Chicago (Amiga, one of the good endings)
7. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (63%)
8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
9. Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicom, Ayako, Saki, Rei and Forever Alone endings)
10. Mother 3 - review
11. Wario World - review
12. Soul Blazer - review
13. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - review
14. Final Fantasy XV - review
15. Illusion of Gaia - review
16. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Arcade mode, Okay difficulty, April O' Neil, 1CC, No Death) - review
17. Terranigma - review
18. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard, D rank) - review
19. Kirby Super Star (77%, basic completion on all games including minigames and Arena)
20. Super Mario RPG
21. Castlevania: Bloodlines (No death, Normal, Eric Lecarde) - video

onto expert mode. and then maybe i'll play johnny too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Intergalactic Xenology (5 levels for Doom II, 2020, UVMax pistol start). 3/5. pretty great ancient aliens derivative set, Ive already played the first one and felt pretty much the same way, its nice to revisit Aaliens style levels but theyre definitely missing that original flair. has a fun mix of straightforward exploratory levels and a good slaughter-lite finale level using the cloud level set. a nice time.
  • ORIGWAD (1 level for Doom, 1994). 5/5. this is the first wad ever, its just 2 rooms with a shotgun guy, 3 imps and 2 barons with no ammo. great poo poo. i watched a UVmax speedrun where you have to punch a baron to death for a minute straight to clear the level, must have been fun to practice.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
33. Burnout (All Face-Offs, Automatic Transmission Only)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes. I enjoyed the other Dark Pictures games a good bit but this is definitely my favorite of the three. Where the other two were based on more traditional horror scenarios this one was more of an Aliens vibe (with some Lovecraft and The Descent for good measure), it's set in 2003 in the early days of the Iraq War and a group of US Marines and intelligence operatives as well as a few Iraqi Republican Guards get trapped in a buried Sumerian temple after the ground gives out during a battle and have to fight for their lives against the subterranean monsters that live there. In both of the last two games I only lost one character each but this one was a bloodbath lol, only two characters managed to escape--at some point I definitely want to replay and see if I can keep everyone alive. Overall I liked it a lot and would recommend if you like whatever you call these interactive-movie sort of games, the characters were well-written, the action scenes were exciting, I didn't find it outright scary but it did a good job of creating a tense and oppressive atmosphere, and the big plot twist towards the end was pretty wild.

I'm really enjoying this whole anthology series, I hope they keep it going for a while. Apparently the next one that comes out next month ends "season one" but they've trademarked a bunch of titles for potential future games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

20. Legacy of the Wizard (MSX2)

Tried using OBS to record this one. Only a few embarrassing gently caress ups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2AmME-r2XI

This version came out at around the same time as the NES port, but has some substantial differences. The obvious one is the lack of scrolling, but Lyll's area is completely different and a lot more interesting imo (even though I spent a while fighting with ladders there in the video). Some items are in easier to reach places but everything in stores is way more expensive. Had a lot of fun figuring out a route. One of the game's biggest strengths is how items can be found both out in the world and bought in stores. Gives you a kind of freedom in how you collect essential items that I haven't seen in any other game like it.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 2, 2022

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

79) Control

Pretty fun game, had some really good moments, but had some really obnoxious stuff coupled along with it. I didn't do any of the DLC stuff despite having the 'Ultimate' edition; it didn't activate properly for some reason and I wasn't gonna chase it down because the main campaign was kinda enough for me.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
34. Kirby's Return to Dream Land (96% Completion)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Frenz posted:

Nice. I tried the second loop of original but can't get past the part where you're riding up the waterfall. The fishmen shoot too fast

I'm not even gonna attempt second loop. Original mode was ridiculous and took forever. I haven't played any of the NES games in ages, but I feel like the Sharp version is the hardest of the classic games just in terms of its baseline difficulty. I will definitely revisit arrange mode in the future though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

After 100%ing 5 it's actually refreshing that this one's a bit thinner on side stuff. Still need to do most of baseball and clan creator, plus amon

lol at all of live chat, also the kabedon thing. Also big fan of a lot of the callback substories, especially the 0 ones

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

29. Yakuza 0 - Normal difficulty, completed all Business objectives and Substories

This was my first game in the series, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more. So many amazing moments packed into one game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
3. pillars 2 deadfire a second time lol

im big in that crpg addition still right now which sucks, but at least it's good to focus on it while waiting for vicky 3. gonna try Planescape next because a friend bullied me into it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh right. i beat cyberpunk 2077- really good game overall. The fps stuff is good to great most of the time, the RPG stuff is mostly whatever much like Witcher 3. Most of the time the voice direction and writing all contributes for a good time overall in the main jobs and most of the side jobs. The cracks start to show in the open world though, the content there is pretty repetitive. There's also not a ton of it though so it's whatever to clear it out. The gigs are fun, cyberpsycho bosses can be cool but a lot of them are kind of mediocre. The driving is abysmal and I suggest you find a car you like and never ever drive anything else. But at it's core this is basically a Deus Ex game with a kinda lovely open world to travel between missions instead of hub levels, and it does that pretty well. much like the new Deus ex games you don't actually have a billion options available, especially in gigs, but you do get optional requirements here in there like being undetected or killing only the target or w.e.

idk about PC but the series x edition is absolutely worth the money, although it's not gonna be on the same tier as poo poo like elden ring obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
14. Dark Souls 3
15. Helltaker
16. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1 & 2
17. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
18. The Looker
19. Yakuza 5
20. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
21. Vampire Survivors
22. Timespinners

Neat little Metroidvania game, but I didn't find a whole lot to really latch on to. Has the honor of being the first game I've beaten on Steam Deck.