Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

Trying to assign me a couple of tickets you've done nothing with for three days just before a weekend? Lol nope, unlucky.

At my last job all my customers would suddenly wake up at 400pm on friday and send me a bunch of emails asking if I they can escalate something and get an answer asap, but it was always an issue I asked them for more information days ago, and they didn't answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's their strategy for looking like it's your fault and the ball has been in your court for over 2 (weekend) days!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Told someone to send me a link to a product and they brought me like 20 sheets of paper from where they printed the webpage out.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I spend the last couple days fixing a pretty large issue in one of our tools and suddenly alerts pile up in something that at least 4 other people are also supposed to be looking at. Dunno why I'm surprised that I'm the only one doing them but goddamn.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

codo27 posted:

We are using Starlink as a backup in a remote location, and I went to said location to set it up as they were unable to get it working. Its actually real easy when its working. If you try to use it away from where your billing address is, you have to pay another $30/mo CAD in order to enable portability. gently caress elon.

Price gouging on the one feature people actually want, defeating the entire purpose of having the thing.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not really pissing me off as much as it should, it's just the stupidest solution I've heard in a while:

Our client hired an external pentester to test the product we're developing. Unsurprising to anyone in my team, they found out that one of the portals, which is used, among other things, for spinning up new environments, setting up features available on them, and also setting up firewall rules on databases and apps on those environments, doesn't have any authentication. The only security feature present is a small number of whitelisted IPs able to access it.

This was the case for about two and a half years, and my team's been telling everyone that it needs to be fixed all this time, but this fell upon deaf ears. However, now it's urgent to fix, and I'll be dealing with it on Monday.

Mind you, it's urgent to fix, but not urgent to fix properly, so the decision made by stakeholders is to stop the azure app service when not in use :suicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it makes you feel better, as an external pentester that :airquote: mitigation :airquote: pisses me off too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bargearse posted:

Price gouging on the one feature people actually want, defeating the entire purpose of having the thing.

The price gouging is a feature to limit the number of users, it turns out lots more people have poo poo internet courtesy of telcos sitting on piles of money for two decades instead of deploying infrastructure than there exists satellite and ground station capacity to support them. I expect Starlink to end up with enterprise customers, airlines, cruise lines paying thousands per month per terminal and getting priority service, and then everybody else paying hundreds per month for whatever capacity might be left over.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey! Give telecoms more credit, they're not just sitting on all that subscriber and subsidy money.

They're working very hard to move that money into vehicles that mask as much profitability as possible and send said cash to tax shelters.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How the gently caress has this thread gone three days with no posts.

Thing pissing me off: An engineer on another team

:derp: I need X

:aaa: That doesn't make sense, what are you trying to do?

:derp: Oh, I need it so I can do Y

:aaa: Ok, That makes sense, but Y.b isn't necessary

:derp: OH YEAH, WELL YOU DO IT THEN

:aaa: Y.a is still a good idea though

:derp: NOPE, I'M GIVING UP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hearing news that our company is trying to decouple appraisals from pay reviews (so what's the point in the appraisal being a collaborative process?) and while RPI inflation is running at 12% they are proposing an uplift of 5% for six months to get through winter with the way energy prices are the way they are. They might as well have told me to go gently caress myself.

Anyway, I'm going to be working on the side gig and putting in gently caress all effort now, pretty sure I can get at least 4-5 months full pay for doing a couple hours real work each week while looking for something else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Hearing news that our company is trying to decouple appraisals from pay reviews (so what's the point in the appraisal being a collaborative process?) and while RPI inflation is running at 12% they are proposing an uplift of 5% for six months to get through winter with the way energy prices are the way they are. They might as well have told me to go gently caress myself.

Anyway, I'm going to be working on the side gig and putting in gently caress all effort now, pretty sure I can get at least 4-5 months full pay for doing a couple hours real work each week while looking for something else.

That is how it starts. That is how it always starts....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have some CentOS 8 servers running in Azure (CentOS 8 went EOL end of last year). This is the third time I've had to explain to the same person why we can't "update the package". The security group has flagged 2 of them for having a vulnerability in a certain package.

Our options:

1. Switch to CentOS 8-stream
2. Switch to Rocky/Alma
3. Switch to RHEL
4. Buy EOL support from the image vendor (OpenLogix or something)

Today's suggestion: What if we take the RPM from stream...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The switch to centos 8 stream is pretty painless, should do that.

Not that it makes red hat's murder of the distribution less of a disaster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Also, we moved a bunch of blade chassis over to the other side of our datacenter because we got new servers. Cool.

It took 3 months to get them moved. They powered them on a month ago and it's taken another month to get the network provisioned. This crap is all outsourced to IBM and Kyndryl even though we own the building etc. I finally got to go into the DC the other day to connect the two new racks of servers to the network.

Network still isn't working so the nodes aren't online yet. And the place we moved the blade chassis to, nobody put an infiniband switch over there. So jobs that run over there complain about that and refuse to start.

Initially we hacked some scripts to send only single-node jobs to those machines. Then we hacked some more scripts to get them to ignore infiniband. In a perfect world one of us would just go over there and move the switch but we have to go through 14 levels of approvals etc. We only have one datacenter guy for our group and he's of course swamped and he kind of sucks. Maybe in 3 weeks we'll have the switch back over there.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

We're doing Rocky, the upgrade isn't terrible and I like what I've seen of the maintainers on IRC

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aaand he emailed our Azure sales guy asking for their guidance. copying the solutions guy from Azure who already told us what to do.

Mustache Ride posted:

We're doing Rocky, the upgrade isn't terrible and I like what I've seen of the maintainers on IRC

I think that's where we are headed as well. Just a matter of when. We're also most likely moving to Warewulf so we've also got to hear Greg Kurtzer talk about Rocky during those meetings.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I will never understand people who try and weasel out of having difficult conversations in the mistaken belief that wasting 1-2 weeks is going to make a problem go away instead of making it significantly worse. Specifically referring to sales here but really it could apply to anything. Nobody can start fixing the problem until you admit that one exists, unless you're taking night classes in this area and are planning to fix it yourself, what are you hoping to gain?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

I will never understand people who try and weasel out of having difficult conversations in the mistaken belief that wasting 1-2 weeks is going to make a problem go away instead of making it significantly worse. Specifically referring to sales here but really it could apply to anything. Nobody can start fixing the problem until you admit that one exists, unless you're taking night classes in this area and are planning to fix it yourself, what are you hoping to gain?

I know. I know. This is infuriating to me. Just tell me what's up so we can get to fixing the problem. Don't let it stew until it is a crisis! Ughhhhhhh

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

I know. I know. This is infuriating to me. Just tell me what's up so we can get to fixing the problem. Don't let it stew until it is a crisis! Ughhhhhhh

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB would tell us not to discuss problems with customers until they were more critial and would take more time/cost to solve to drive revenue. I'd tell him yeah but it makes us look like idiots since the first question they ask is "why didn't you tell us sooner"?

He also prohibited me from calling customers before site visits to confirm addresses, since in his words "they'll think we're morons if we don't even know where are customer's offices are" well, I guess that showing up at the owner of the companies house instead of his office (since that was in salesforce as their main address) at 9am certain makes us look like geniuses.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Super-NintendoUser posted:

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB would tell us not to discuss problems with customers until they were more critial and would take more time/cost to solve to drive revenue. I'd tell him yeah but it makes us look like idiots since the first question they ask is "why didn't you tell us sooner"?

He also prohibited me from calling customers before site visits to confirm addresses, since in his words "they'll think we're morons if we don't even know where are customer's offices are" well, I guess that showing up at the owner of the companies house instead of his office (since that was in salesforce as their main address) at 9am certain makes us look like geniuses.

$AWFUL_JOB indeed

gently caress

Edit: Speaking of awful jobs, all of my first wave of interviews fell through. I did interviews with four companies, got to second round twice, and had to withdraw from one because of shady poo poo.

Back to the resume blasting. I want out of my current place so bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I ever caught a vendor doing this, I wouldn't just fire them. I'd be talking to general counsel on how we could sue them for fraud.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

If I ever caught a vendor doing this, I wouldn't just fire them. I'd be talking to general counsel on how we could sue them for fraud.

One time our boss ordered the wrong appliance (the company makes a few different 1u small appliances, and my boss ordered the wrong one), he told me to take it to the customer anyways, and when I got there pretend that I had grabbed the wrong box.

I went the customer with the wrong appliance and straight up told them the truth. As expected, they were not happy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

One time our boss ordered the wrong appliance (the company makes a few different 1u small appliances, and my boss ordered the wrong one), he told me to take it to the customer anyways, and when I got there pretend that I had grabbed the wrong box.

I went the customer with the wrong appliance and straight up told them the truth. As expected, they were not happy.

Was this just to cover his rear end and make you look like a moron? You can't charge them an hour to drive there with the wrong box. What did he expect you to say when they tell you to go back and get the correct one? What could he have possibly expected to gain from this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Was this just to cover his rear end and make you look like a moron? You can't charge them an hour to drive there with the wrong box. What did he expect you to say when they tell you to go back and get the correct one? What could he have possibly expected to gain from this?

These people aren't rational

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

Honestly, I don't remember the rest of the situation, this was probably 15 years ago. I had other stuff do there, so it wasn't a total waste. Honestly I'm not sure what they wanted to gain, the entire business was that sort of back and forth sell a job to get a deposit to cover an order for an existing customer that need something. It was a reverse ponzi scheme. They had to churn customers since everyone was unhappy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

1-2 weeks of doing nothing, followed by making it Somebody Else's Problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow the new Outlook app is awful

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Wow the new Outlook app is awful

If it's the sidebar arrangement, i'm finding it better since it's the same UX as teams. Plus you can bolt 365 extra apps inside so for instance you can use bookings without jumping to another app/browser.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, gently caress zero-width spaces for loving up config files.

"The search DN string looks perfectly fine, why the gently caress isn't it working?"

lovely-rear end Unicode is why!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

directional quotes get me occasionally

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

"The search DN string looks perfectly fine, why the gently caress isn't it working?"

More reason VSCode is our lord and savior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kyIUZgzqo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just spent a few minutes cursing out Poly for shipping me a DECT handset with a completely dead battery before realising I hadn't pulled the plastic tab out

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KozmoNaut posted:

I bypassed the mitigation that MS made in Forms back in the 2018 phishing attack that did the rounds by using zero-width spaces and their response was "not a bug" and then they fixed it and didn't give me money or credit for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My new customer does not respect my time at all. They will send me invites at 6AM for a meeting at 8/9AM same day or send me an invite at 2PM for a meeting at 6PM. In none of these instances do they message me to ask what a good time is. And then they consistently show up late to their own meetings. Stop doing that poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

My new customer does not respect my time at all. They will send me invites at 6AM for a meeting at 8/9AM same day or send me an invite at 2PM for a meeting at 6PM. In none of these instances do they message me to ask what a good time is. And then they consistently show up late to their own meetings. Stop doing that poo poo.

My company makes us use Calendly for appointments, it's actually pretty useful since I can set my working ours. Even if someone wants to send me a direct invite it still helps them check my calendar.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

This is why you A) have to manage expectations and B) ruthlessly decline meetings like that. Don't give in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My coworkers already set bad expectations and they accept them as soon as they are sent so I'm kind of boned. I yelled at my boss about it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

My coworkers already set bad expectations and they accept them as soon as they are sent so I'm kind of boned. I yelled at my boss about it.

Yell at your coworkers as well? Who's the main point of contact with the customer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
There are exactly two people who can send me unsolicited meeting invites: My boss and the CEO.

Any other unsolicited meeting invite is declined without response. You want to meet and talk about something, you will at the very least ask me first.