Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah sorry should have added that I'm in Sweden and afaik there's one (1) online store here that has battletech and they don't have any of the starting boxes in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Fantasiapelit from Finland has several products available at the moment, including the starter box.

The delivery cost to Sweden is around 13 euros. They are quite expensive even by our ridiculous standards, but at least it is an extra option

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In Finland; Fantasiapelit or Puolenkuun Pelit, the latter is cheaper.

I would however recommend the German shops Scifi-Trader.net and Fantasywelt.de. They tend to have just about everything in stock and Scifi-Trader is a specifically BT-focused store.

Edit: checked and Scifi-Trader does have plenty of copies of AGOAC. I think they just restocked.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 29, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Well, if you want a bunch of new Catalyst Urbies, now's your chance. https://bg.battletech.com/news/urbanmech-company-box-now-available

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Floppychop posted:

Well, if you want a bunch of new Catalyst Urbies, now's your chance. https://bg.battletech.com/news/urbanmech-company-box-now-available

I appreciate they shot one with a laser. Commit to the bit and all that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
$5 per Urbanmech is actually a pretty good deal. But I will never field 12 Urbanmechs.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I like that they apparently just come in a brown cardboard box. They don’t deserve art

Marx Headroom posted:

$5 per Urbanmech is actually a pretty good deal. But I will never field 12 Urbanmechs.

Guess you could buy a box with a couple of buddies or something. I’d like one or perhaps two Urbanmechs but any more is overkill

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They teased some variant models recently which I would be more interested in than just a dozen UM-R60s but I guess you could do 3 full lances in different colors for infinite campaign OpFors.

At least it means resellers will have cheap singles.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 1, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I bought it because my brain is broken and I want to do them in 12 different paint schemes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I like it when companies lean into fun memes about their products. That laser video was a good one.

Also, looks like Shrapnel Submissions are being reviewed again. Moved 3 spots in 3 days :toot:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sitting at number nine right now

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I suppose you could make your own Urbanmech variants with a craft knife and super glue. I'm sawing the barrels off my Gargoyle to make an LBX variant. Tada, now I can make a Gauss Urbanmech!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have experience making 3D terrain that isn't just hills?

My LGS has the Circle of Equals mat and we end up using it a lot for pickup games, grinder events, and such. I'd like to make some terrain to give it depth, but I draw a blank when it comes to making some that keeps the 'feel' of the map.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Floppychop posted:

My LGS has the Circle of Equals mat and we end up using it a lot for pickup games, grinder events, and such. I'd like to make some terrain to give it depth, but I draw a blank when it comes to making some that keeps the 'feel' of the map.

I was just about to post this here:

Playing Mechwarrior Online, Mechwarrior 5, and Battletech PC so much this year has convinced me to finally take the plunge to tabletop.

I've been 3d printing a ton of stuff for 40k terrain and loving how it comes out, so I figured there would be a similar scene for Battletech, and luckily there is.

What I've printed so far has come from these packs + I haven't printed all of this yet:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5529021
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5461444
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5461487
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5423205
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5541993
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-battletech-terrain-missile-silo-w-damage-241317
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-battletech-buildings-and-bases-pack-2-226498

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Floppychop posted:

yes, i have a bunch of hex terrain i was working on (check my post history) and a new method i'm working on which i won't be posting yet because one of my group players checks this thread lol. hope to be done tomorrow and i'll post pics

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can also use most model railroad terrain, if you want some easy to find barns or whatever to kick over.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Making generic terrain is easy enough. I've done hills, buildings, and even crashed dropships.

My hope was to do terrain that matched the Circle of Equals though, which is a mostly destroyed city scape. Fitting the rubble and whatnot into the hexes is beyond my smooth brain figuring out it seems.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Dumb question, but is there an easy way to identify models if you do not know much about battletech? You know, in case my friend took them all out of a box and primed them without any labelling.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Post pics and I’m sure we’ll tell you what they are!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How do smaller vehicles work? They're sold in two packs, and I'm seeing mixed results on how many to put on a single base.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They work as an individual unit just like the big ones. They give you two because I need a shitload of tanks if I'm going to have an entire RCT.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's no reason to have more than one on a base unless you're doing something artistic like a diorama. Battle armor and infantry are squads and platoons respectively per hex base because those count as single units, but everything else is one per hex base because there is one vehicle/mech/protomech/aerofighter/etc. per unit.

Unless you're playing BattleForce I guess.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Gotcha, I saw mixed messages, some people saying you could put two vehicles onto a single hex in some cases? I guess that's no longer the case in modern Battletech?

If specifics matter, I have these showing up in the mail soon: Scimitar Medium Hover Tank (2), Demolisher II Tank (this one is sold as a single), Flatbed Truck Chassis LRM (4), Flatbed Truck Chassis Military Cargo (1), Flatbed Truck Chassis SRM (4), Command Vehicle (1), and a pack of random civilian vehicles.

I don't have the Battletech rules yet, I wanted to get a roster of mechs + terrain + misc stuff (turrets, vehicles, etc) painted up first before I figured out how the game works, so I can learn with painted stuff. I'm OK if I end up hating the game because I'm mostly getting this because wanted to paint the mechs I like from the video games.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can put two vehicles in a single hex, but they are still independently functioning units. If they were on the same base they wouldn't be able to split up and go in different directions after they meet, for instance.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Also because of that I prefer to use cardboard chips for them. Actually I prefer to use cardboard for everything except a few of my favorite mechs, but it's good to actually be able to stakc them.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How often would I want to actually put two on the same hex? I'd rather base them all because things look so much nicer on bases. I'll put them one to a base unless I'm going to really wreck their effectiveness in tabletop by doing so.

^^^ I'm getting into this mostly for the visual aspect, so I'd rather have zero cardboard on the table. I could see it being more efficient if you're really into the gameplay.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

How often would I want to actually put two on the same hex? I'd rather base them all because things look so much nicer on bases. I'll put them one to a base unless I'm going to really wreck their effectiveness in tabletop by doing so.

You're confusing stacking (how many units can occupy the same space on the map) with basing (how many models to put on each base).

You never want two units on the same base; but per stacking rules you can fit 1 'Mech, 1 'Mech and 1 vehicle, or two vehicles into the same map hex. BattleTech's scale is weird because the 'Mechs and Vehicles are 1:285, but the map itself is 1:1000 so units take up much less space in the actual hex you're looking at on the map.

It's why you can fit 15 'Mechs into a dropship that takes up a 9 hex circle on the board.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech's scale is weird because the 'Mechs and Vehicles are 1:285, but the map itself is 1:1000 so units take up much less space in the actual hex you're looking at on the map.

I always explain it like this:

I am to a grocery store aisle what a mech is to a hex. I do not fill a grocery store aisle completely, but I can shift from side to side fast enough that you don't get to go through the aisle unless I say it's okay.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So you're that jerk I was behind earlier today.

drat Steiners.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoulda paid my toll.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

While waiting for this to dry, I figured I would post about the whiplash of model origins here. Big metal tank with 1999 stamped in the bottom next to extremely high detail 3D printed resin stuff. There’s also the new plastic which I love and is why I’m finally getting into tabletop Battletech, and my own FDM printed lower resolution terrain stuff.

I also didn’t realize the scale of this isn’t uniform, the Raven and Flea are gigantic compared to other mechs. I guess it makes sense, then want to maximize detail per hex but I didn’t expect it.

Next I need to start printing bases I guess, nothing older comes with a base.

The Flea being the heaviest mech model I own really amuses me

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 7, 2022

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I always explain it like this:

I am to a grocery store aisle what a mech is to a hex. I do not fill a grocery store aisle completely, but I can shift from side to side fast enough that you don't get to go through the aisle unless I say it's okay.

Please sir I just need to grab a can of tomato soup, I’m already running late

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Chainclaw posted:

^^^ I'm getting into this mostly for the visual aspect, so I'd rather have zero cardboard on the table. I could see it being more efficient if you're really into the gameplay.

The solution to desiring to base vehicles while still making them fully usable in gameplay is to saw a base in half. A wood or powderboard base is probably easiest to mod this way, a plastic one might work too.

Even then, there is ofc the issue of stacking vehicles (and infantry) inside a hex a ‘Mech is already occupying, which is legal.

quote:

At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from
each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These
units can consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry,
but only one of the four can be a ’Mech. This maximum is
called the stacking limit.

Though a unit can enter a hex occupied by an enemy unit, it may
not leave that hex in the same turn; entering an enemy hex
automatically ends a unit’s movement.

Regardless of the conditions noted above, no unit may voluntarily
end its movement in a hex if that movement would violate the
stacking limit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 7, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a cyborg mug posted:

Please sir I just need to grab a can of tomato soup, I’m already running late

ITT fighting a trial of possession over the only ripe avocado in the fresh produce section

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I demanded a trial of refusal in a dream last night. I can't remember anything else about the dream, just the trial of refusal. If any of you were issued a trial of refusal in a dream last night please lmk asap

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The solution to desiring to base vehicles while still making them fully usable in gameplay is to saw a base in half.

The vast majority of vehicles are far too big for that to work. You can't even really fit a Demolisher into a single hex, much less two of them.

The best way is to either pick up some of those little platforms that keep the pizza box lids from collapsing (which you can buy 200 of on Amazon for like $15) or to just remove one of the vehicles from the board for the duration and mark the vehicle whose hex is occupied with a lightweight proxy.

Or just don't drive your vehicles into the same hex as another vehicle. It's rarely useful.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 7, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

I demanded a trial of refusal in a dream last night. I can't remember anything else about the dream, just the trial of refusal. If any of you were issued a trial of refusal in a dream last night please lmk asap

I received one from my body, wrt falling asleep. I lost

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

The vast majority of vehicles are far too big for that to work. You can't even really fit a Demolisher into a single hex, much less two of them.

The best way is to either pick up some of those little platforms that keep the pizza box lids from collapsing (which you can buy 200 of on Amazon for like $15) or to just remove one of the vehicles from the board for the duration and mark the vehicle whose hex is occupied with a lightweight proxy.

Or just don't drive your vehicles into the same hex as another vehicle. It's rarely useful.

Sounds like Catalyst needs to get crackin' on making smaller Assault-weight tank minis.

And you definitely need to stack vehicles if you're trying to get as many guns as possible aimed down an urban street or base corridor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 8, 2022

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Going to lean into this even harder:

Cover is easier to come by and very useful for vehicles, so for example stacking against a hill prevents acquisition from a greater selection of angles when the goal is to survive.

It also lessens the number of hexes needed to Dig In if those vehicles need to be partially covered turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’m trudging through Hour of the Wolf and by far my biggest problem with it, beyond the sense that it’s just reportage on a sure outcome with no tension at all, is that the ENDLESS battle scenes don’t offer any insight into the characters or factions! There’s all this cool kit on the field, tons of new mechs and tanks and poo poo, drones, pocket warships, EMP weapons, bloo blah bloo. But none of this gets any particular examination. There are some vague gestures to the Falcons not taking prisoners and the Wolves…refusing to fight over key targets? But I couldn’t really tell you what a Republic unit fights like vs a Wolf unit vs a Falcon unit. Why are the Wolves always winning? Do they go fast to the enemy’s weak points? Do they use combined arms? Are they different somehow from Operation Revival Wolves?

And what about the Republic, they’ve been behind this wall for years, didn’t they literally invite the Wolves in? Shouldn’t they have…I don’t know, prep work? C3 networks? Blakist bullshit? Even their elite unit, the Old Guard, gets exactly one tactic: frontal attack!!!

The characterization is also of course utterly flat, but hey, it’s tie in fiction.

It would’ve been a good beat if Stone nuked Malvina. Mongol gets Mongol