Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bad Purchase posted:

lost power about 20 min ago on the east coast. doubt it’s coming back tonight.

As you huddle there in the darkness I'd like you to know that I really respect you for keeping your word on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fiona ripped through Atlantic Canada, thankfully mostly sparing NB, where I am.

My parents, however, decided to still go to PEI and couldn't leave until the bridge was opened.

Literally ten loving minutes from where they stayed was completely wrecked (Rustico Harbour).

:psyduck:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wonder Free posted:

I was on call for work with some FEMA GIS people planning post storm imagery collection and part of their response plan takes into account how many people are uninsured or over 65 - they call them social risks or something similar. It was supposed to hit Tampa at the time so they were talking about Hillsborough county being at 55% insured. I was surprised but also having just moved from there I could see how a bunch of people there would gamble on a house like that.

Whats up fellow disaster GIS or disaster GIS adjacent person.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I hope Biden shows up and surprises DeSantis live on TV with "I came as soon as I could, I'm so glad you called and asked for help"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

still no power this morning and work is closed so i can’t steal their power and A/C. haven’t gone outside yet, trying to preserve what little cool air remains, but don’t think there was any damage. it did get quite gusty from about midnight to 2 am, enough to really rattle the windows and doors. i actually went out around 1 am in the horizontal rain to close the shutters on the east-facing windows because i was worried we’d have debris flying through if it got much worse.

what’s left of the storm is right on top of my area now, but conditions are very mild. less wind and rain than when it was all the way across the state 2 days ago.

no eta from the power company on service restoration yet.

silver lining: i called it, take that NOAA

Bad Purchase posted:

it just keeps ignoring the track and going east. at this rate it’s gonna cross right through the middle of brevard county and just keep going out to sea

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

glad youre safe and hope every other goon is safe too

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Play posted:

it actually is getting annoyingly hot though it hit 112 in the north bay a few weeks ago. I left lovely rear end las vegas partly due to the weather and then it followed me back somehow

Yeah it got hot for like 1 weekend out of the entire year/summer.

I survived somehow.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Made it through with minimal damage. Lots and lots of braches everywhere and a few scattered trees uprooted in the neighborhood, but thankfully no catastrophic damage to any homes. A small consolation to those without power and A/C: the air is markedly cooler now although I guess the comfort level of air temperature is subjective.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

How are things in Bradenton/Anna Maria Island? I saw some livestreams that had lots of fallen trees in the road but not as bad of a storm surge as other places. Can anyone confirm/deny?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea how the impacts were to Rotonda West? We’ve got some elderly family out there who refused to evacuate and haven’t heard a peep.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wasnt that dead in the path? Like Eye went over it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Too many yachts survived.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Been w/o power since 7:40ish, near dt orlando, tho we did just get a flicker so I guess there's hope of it coming back soon. No major damage except for a lil leaky in a corner of the ceiling, might go walk around soon and see the neighborhood

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just a quick look ahead, things should be quiet for a while once Ian is gone.

Eleven is heading north and will dissipate in a few days.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I wish my depression would dissipate in a few days :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Don't name storms after Stranger Things characters, that's cringe

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ZeusCannon posted:

Wasnt that dead in the path? Like Eye went over it?

Not sure. We’ve visited there once and we thought it was closer to Tampa than it really is. Since it missed Tampa I was hoping it missed them.

Though it’s only an hour away from fort meyers, which got hosed.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 29, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Any idea how the impacts were to Rotonda West? We’ve got some elderly family out there who refused to evacuate and haven’t heard a peep.

Just from the radar I think that area got pretty high sustained winds but it seems that new construction dealt with that pretty well so as long as the flooding wasn't bad it should still be there...

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
https://www.news-press.com/story/we...rm/10458558002/

quote:

"So while I don't have confirmed numbers, I defintitely know fatalities are in the hundreds," Marceno said. "There are thousands of people that are waiting to be rescued.

"And again, I can't give a true assessment until we're actually on scene assessing each scene. And we can't access, that's the problem. We're accessing the bridges, seeing what's compromised and what's not. And this will be a life-changing event for the men and women who are responding. They're going to see things they've never seen before."

sounds kind of dire for ft myers

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

smoobles posted:

Don't name storms after Stranger Things characters, that's cringe

gently caress that I wanna get taken out by Hurricane Mind Flayer :black101:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ehud posted:

Just a quick look ahead, things should be quiet for a while once Ian is gone.

Eleven is heading north and will dissipate in a few days.

Unless it turns around for another go?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mozi posted:

Just from the radar I think that area got pretty high sustained winds but it seems that new construction dealt with that pretty well so as long as the flooding wasn't bad it should still be there...
Rotonda West is Charlotte County B zone which was marked for evac. I haven't heard a reliable report if the surge was the apocalypse they called for. But based on some of those Charlotte County web cams they probably got wet at least.

There's only a few roads in, probably won't hear much news about it for a couple days if they rode it out ok else the gossip will be coming from the heli flights about it being missing.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Outrail posted:

Unless it turns around for another go?

Channelling it's inner Jeanne?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Rotonda West is Charlotte County B zone which was marked for evac. I haven't heard a reliable report if the surge was the apocalypse they called for. But based on some of those Charlotte County web cams they probably got wet at least.

There's only a few roads in, probably won't hear much news about it for a couple days if they rode it out ok else the gossip will be coming from the heli flights about it being missing.

The surge in Ft Myers looked real bad but other than that it seemed like if you were above sea level a bit more it wasn't totally devastating. I think inland the threat would be more from rainfall...

My family vacationed down in Captiva when I was a kid so I hope that's not completely wrecked (again)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 29, 2022

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006