Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Free bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

What exactly was this dude expecting to happen?

Im more surprised that he lost his shoes and survived.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Rynn posted:

Im more surprised that he lost his shoes and survived.

probably was wearing crocs and didnt have them in sport mode

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Only pussies run from hurricanes oo-rah.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The real lead for the sheriff saying there will be hundreds of deaths: https://twitter.com/jfancher1985/status/1575455553102422016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I truly do not understand the mindset of people that decide to hunker down and ride it out.

I get some cant evacuate on their own - elderly, etc but help and services are available.

you say this but like, are they? in the state of florida? I lived there for 25+ years and dont know of any resources or services that would even help get you a place to stay. If you don't have relatives outside of the path that will give you shelter then you're just packing up your family and pets to, what, drive a few hours away and pay for a hotel? Is the state, or your job, gonna reimburse you for that? (definitely not) Did you even get enough time off work to evac before all the cheap nearby lodgings got booked up by other people with more generous schedules? If you spend most of a grand to evac ahead of time and then the storm misses you, are you gonna feel smart, or like a jackass that got owned by the forces of nature and neoliberal disaster response? At least if you stay put you can maybe bet on the state sending someone to pull you off your roof top

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i can't believe hurricane ian killed coolio

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The real lead for the sheriff saying there will be hundreds of deaths: https://twitter.com/jfancher1985/status/1575455553102422016

reminder that there's still hundreds of "missing" people from Katrina that were also left to drown in jails

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

the bitcoin of weed posted:

you say this but like, are they? in the state of florida? I lived there for 25+ years and dont know of any resources or services that would even help get you a place to stay. If you don't have relatives outside of the path that will give you shelter then you're just packing up your family and pets to, what, drive a few hours away and pay for a hotel? Is the state, or your job, gonna reimburse you for that? (definitely not) Did you even get enough time off work to evac before all the cheap nearby lodgings got booked up by other people with more generous schedules? If you spend most of a grand to evac ahead of time and then the storm misses you, are you gonna feel smart, or like a jackass that got owned by the forces of nature and neoliberal disaster response? At least if you stay put you can maybe bet on the state sending someone to pull you off your roof top

Sorry, all the funding for these services was instead spent to own the libs with transphobia and human trafficking

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UWCIMSS/status/1575462206778507264?s=20&t=bKPEVUcIvoCjPQzWy-Vqbg

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Nature is healing

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
Ian can't stop, won't stop

https://twitter.com/breakingweather/status/1575494902716465159?s=20&t=VAIxCw1cha5NYgTeHbvGGw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cmon Ian, do better! Get up to at least a cat 3!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I wonder how many Airbnb's got wrecked and if there's a way to use a delta of listings to better understand Ian's destruction.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How many bullets would you need to fire into Ian to make him a cat 3

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The majority of the USA simply don't get paid and may be fired immediately if they don't show up for work for one day, as well as having zero savings. Evacuating for a week is just as impossible as buying a new house.

If you're expected to get back to work with COVID then you're sure as hell expected to get back to work in a hurricane.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

reminder that there's still hundreds of "missing" people from Katrina that were also left to drown in jails

well technically we're still looking for the living version of this missing person. -angola

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Definitely want to work for a place that is open during a hurricane.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Severe weather also brings out the passively suicidal side in some, "oh well if all my poo poo and house gets wrecked I might as well die too there's no recovering from it really at my age." style thinking.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

non-selfie time square footage now up

https://twitter.com/swmurfl/status/1575498520370376704?s=20&t=VAIxCw1cha5NYgTeHbvGGw

https://twitter.com/swmurfl/status/1575498039120494593?s=20&t=VAIxCw1cha5NYgTeHbvGGw

Ages has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Sep 29, 2022

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

why don't they just make the buildings out of the same stuff they make palm trees out of?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

:effort:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I used to work retail in Florida before getting out of that shithole. They absolutely expect you to work right up until the roads are closing down, and expect you back in the building doing recovery as soon as the roads open. Evacuations are a luxury

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
People around Ft. Myers and Cape Coral, including some local meteorologists, are already blaming the NHC for not pinning the landfall spot down to the exact mile, even though Ft. Myers was in the cone of possibility since very early on in Ian's life.

Cult of personal responsibility again refusing to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

This guy in the blue shirt was able to rescue the American flag.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

:911:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Rip Testes posted:

new star spangled banner right here

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Oh good, those pig poo poo lagoons haven't been forced to overflow in a while. :shepface:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Unlike Florida and most of the rest of South Carolina, Charleston is a vibrant, wonderful city and deserves the same hurricane shield that poo poo hole Tampa bay gets.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

SchrodingersCat posted:

People around Ft. Myers and Cape Coral, including some local meteorologists, are already blaming the NHC for not pinning the landfall spot down to the exact mile, even though Ft. Myers was in the cone of possibility since very early on in Ian's life.

Cult of personal responsibility again refusing to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

nhc probably spending too much time being "woke"

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
living over on the east side of florida, ngl a little underwhelmed on this coast, :sad:

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
NHC officially forecasting Ian will likely be Cat 1 when it recurves and hits NC/SC. With Ian hitting the Atlantic faster than expected and being really stubborn on its eastward track, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take longer to turn back and make it to cat 2 by slurping up the high sea surface temps on the east side of FL. If it manages to stay out in the Atlantic until late Saturday or Sunday it will have 48 hours in warm water to undergo rapid intensification again.

According to the NOAA sea surface temperature maps most of the Atlantic between east FL and SC is at or above 29 degrees C, which will support hurricane redevelopment and RI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Juchero posted:

living over on the east side of florida, ngl a little underwhelmed on this coast, :sad:

You'll be less underwhelmed when the supply issues hit.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
*presses finger on earpiece* piazza della spiaggia di Fort Myers is gone sir!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll be less underwhelmed when the supply issues hit.

maybe if you're literally in ft myers but it was a pretty tepid hurricane after it made landfall

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cant wait till in like a year when mysterious giant sink holes start popping up all over places like Ft Myers and swallow entire buildings

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

New Londo Ruins rear end City

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Did Cape Coral cease to exist? Haven't seen anything out of there yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I really wish that I had the patience/skills/talent to isolate the guy in the time square video so that I could edit the first ~6 seconds into kvatch in oblivion or something