Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got builders 2 on the last squeenix steam sale, and man, I wasn't expecting it to be half this goof.

I thought it was gonna just be a minecraft clone with dq design, not an actual rpg with a story.

It makes me more willing to give treasures a shot later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
The Builders games are absolutely delightful! I'd even suggest giving the first one a go if you're enjoying 2, but it's hard to let go of 2's quality of life improvements.

I do wish to offer an apology to whoever it was who was complaining about the NPC wordiness, and then I said I wasn't bothered by it, though. I went back to my playthrough and beat the game a few months back but I swear to god I genuinely lost my poo poo the umpteenth time the NPCs explained to me the concept of "first we go to the mines, then we come back to the bar, so we can go to the mines, so we can go to the bar."

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FeatherFloat posted:

The Builders games are absolutely delightful! I'd even suggest giving the first one a go if you're enjoying 2, but it's hard to let go of 2's quality of life improvements.

The first one was never ported to PC, for some reason.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

FeatherFloat posted:

I do wish to offer an apology to whoever it was who was complaining about the NPC wordiness, and then I said I wasn't bothered by it, though. I went back to my playthrough and beat the game a few months back but I swear to god I genuinely lost my poo poo the umpteenth time the NPCs explained to me the concept of "first we go to the mines, then we come back to the bar, so we can go to the mines, so we can go to the bar."

That segment is genuinely the worst part of the game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dqb2 would be a hundred times better if you could just skip dialogue

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TurnipFritter posted:

It's all worth it in the end

the wordplay is on point

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

TurnipFritter posted:

Did you not get to the prison?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Did you not get to the prison?

Yeah it was less bad than the Mine area

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
The prison at least had some stakes, and the repetitiveness kind of enforced the drudgery of prison!

The bar and the mine and the mine and the bar can gently caress off into the sun.

It's a very charming game in general, though! With some moments of genuine shock and wonder! I think I'm going to go pick it back up and roll around in the post-game a bit more.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Hooray!

The Lord of Shadows is defeated and peace returns to the world!

DQ XI is fantastic! I realize that the post-game will probably be massive, but sure have enjoyed it all so far.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Speaking of Builders, I went with the lame rear end US flag option for my base because nothing else came to mind late at night and got this delightful scene:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Been playing a bunch of DQX (both live and the new OL port) lately.

RillAkBea posted:

I posted this on the general RPG thread already but in short, DQXO is a trash fire. I was actually a little excited for it because me and my wife rather enjoyed DQX but couldn't justify the monthlies, so it seemed like a good way to play the game at your own pace. Unfortunately though, it's just kinda bad. The nostalgia bait graphical overhaul is really poorly implemented and the whole thing just feels lazy. I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't for the fact it's a full price title for an inferior version of a 10 year old game.

Sounds like you just don't like the stylistic changes more than anything. Much of it has been completely revamped, and it's pretty clear that they were trying to make a different game based on Dragon Quest X rather than just port Dragon Quest X to be more single player friendly; I think if you like DQ games there isn't really a reason you wouldn't like that one, providing you don't play the live version. Hell, you can do most of the stuff in the live version these days without ever actually interacting with another players and stick to systems that are contingent upon input from other players, like the Bazaar (DQX ver of an auction house) and tavern to hire AI controlled versions of other player characters to party up with. This has been my experience most of my way through all the content up until version 4 (the 3rd expansion) so far.

What can I say about the quality of graphics and overall aesthetics of ACTUAL Dragon Quest X. Well, it starts off a little rough, but it gets better as you move through expansions. It somehow manages to be both embarrassingly bad and refreshingly badass at the same time; the actual character design and graphical style are top notch among any MMO, and easily probably the most aesthetically pleasing i've seen, even if it is just Toriyama doing the same poo poo he has done since the 80s and creating a million protags that look like Trunks to combat a million villains that look like Cell. Animations are beautiful, but frame rates are low. Textures are garbage. Much is uninspired at first, but around Version 3 the environments get really cool.

Gameplay wise, it is a hard one to judge. The first version is basically going to be a steamroll where you don't really know how to gauge the power level of zones, but it won't matter when the NPC PCs you hire will just slaughter everything. Hundreds of hours worth of grinding have been sliced away from the gameplay over the years as content has gotten powercrept by additional classes and player-provided resources. Version 2 gets a little harder in some places, but is still mostly sleepy. Around level 90 or so of character strength is where the gameplay gets a little unpredictable. The power level of your character goes up at very miniscule intervals. Regular battles are never really a problem, but bosses will always be death machines that run around one-shotting your MC, and one or two-shotting the OP NPC PCs you hire. The fights usually come down to avoiding as much damage as you can from AoE or avoidable environmental attacks (which usually have really poor tells. In fact, the biggest tell a giant AoE ability is going to land is usually when you see the AI controlled characters suddenly backing away from the boss for no reason) and hoping the AI revives characters that die ASAP. The AI literally has done like 90% of the damage, and all of the healing/utility for me. Thus, I really don't know how to feel about the game if I am being honest. I am having fun with it, but it seems more like taking a vacation to Dragon Quest: The Theme Park and going on rides all day. There is a ton to do over base+5 expansions (10 years of content) but probably not anywhere near your WoWs or FFXIVs. There aren't instanced dungeons, though you can party up if you want. There isn't really a need to though, at least pre-endgame. There are plenty of classes to play, but at LEAST half, maybe 3/4s of them are garbage. You'll level everything to around 35 for permanent stat bonuses, then probably pick one of the classes that can be counted on one hand that actually do stuff. I actually would like to try some of the mediocre classes a bit more, but leveling is a bit of a bitch. You get about one class leveled for free most of the way to level cap@124 just by doing the story content, but you'll have to slow grind the rest up with a handful of acceleration resources that last through low levels.

Overall I give both versions of DQX a solid score of Dragon Quest out of 10. If that sounds good to you, you should try the trial of the PC version and use the translation tools that are out if you need to. I don't use them so I can't say how good they are, but there is a whole discord and community of people who do, so I guess they work decently.

Edit: forgot to mention music. Similarly to DQXI, there isn't too much original music in the game, you mostly get reused and arranged versions of music from other Dragon Quest games. It is pleasant, but it gets old really fast. Especially when you get to a new zone or fight a new boss and it just recycles one of the same themes again. It's clear ol' Sugiyama was probably mostly retired at the point when this game came around. Hopefully it will get better in the future for X as well as XII as he has moved away from this mortal coil.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 29, 2022

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any mods for DQB2? I was kinda surprised a google search didn’t seem to turn up much but ‘infinite x item’ trainers given the minecrafty nature of the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Hooray!

The Lord of Shadows is defeated and peace returns to the world!

DQ XI is fantastic! I realize that the post-game will probably be massive, but sure have enjoyed it all so far.

it's actually real short. iirc it's only like three or four bosses in the 2d world. you're probably entering act 3

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BabyRyoga posted:

DQXO stuff

How does one play this single-player in the west, if possible? My MMO days are long gone, but I'll give it a punt if I can play solo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JustJeff88 posted:

How does one play this single-player in the west, if possible? My MMO days are long gone, but I'll give it a punt if I can play solo.

https://dqxabbey.com has the details that will guide you through if you can't navigate Japanese very well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JustJeff88 posted:

You rent other people's characters to fill your party with. Probably can't do like, raids with them but most anything else is fair game. And yeah, check the Abbey and DQX Worldwide discord.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You rent other people's characters to fill your party with.

That's such a cool idea. I recently quit WoW, this time indefinitely, I think, but I'd go back to it if they gave us an offline version with AI party members or something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's always ffxi :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I for some stupid reason thought that the game had been localised and it hasn't. I'm not going to pretend that I can read Japanese.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Len posted:

it's actually real short. iirc it's only like three or four bosses in the 2d world. you're probably entering act 3

Interesting...

I thought i was done with the main game because the credits rolled, but how wrong i was... Veronica is resurrected and every cutscene is ten times better when one member of the party is dressed like freakin Garfield, so i will play Act 3 as long as it goddamn takes i guess! hahaha i love this game

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never understand why people don't like Act 3 and act like it's not part of the game! It's one of the best parts of the game imo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I liked Act 3, but like, DQXI is already a full length rear end JRPG with just the first two acts, and Act 3 sort of by necessity erases the character arcs your party went through. That makes it feel better to me since it feels like a genuine trade off rather than an unambiguously better timeline that requires no real sacrifice on your part, but I get why it wouldn’t vibe with people.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The third act to me (gameplay spoilers?) almost felt like it turned the world from the first two acts into an open world JRPG. There's much less overarching story for the most part, but the final boss is so brutally difficult that you'll need to scrape together every tool in the game to stand a chance. Or, y'know, do The Thing that makes the fight easier, but that's less fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Act 3 is just “the rest of the game” and I’ll die on this hill.

“Buh-buh-buh-but the credits rolled-“
:qqsay:

So loving what? That doesn’t make it the end of the story when there’s more story after the credits.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
maybe i'll finish act 3 some day. i actually adored the first few hours of it, but when it opened up it just felt like waaay too much stuff to do without a sense of motivation for me. it seems more like a giant bonus epilogue than a part of the main story, so i'm fine sitting on it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"But what was the deal with that black tockle? I dunno must not be important the credits rolled"

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was a poor design decision to even make the credits roll when they did.

My only thought is they didn't really develop that much of an actual post game compared to other DQ games, so they figured people might be disappointed and thus tried to make it feel like the last third of the game was the postgame.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh my god who cares if some people call it the postgame

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh my god who cares if some people call it the postgame

My criticism is that it's more likely than not that many people probably stopped playing the game when the credits rolled, despite the fact that the story (main, as well as individual character's stories) clearly isn't over yet. So I feel sorry for those people. It's like they essentially found a book at a garage sale or something that had what vaguely resembled an ending most of the way through, but are oblivious to the fact that a chunk of pages were torn away from the back of the book.

I don't really know why games do this. Nier Automata comes to mind as well.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I consider both Acts 2 and 3 the post game. I think ending after Act 1 is the most satisfying way to conclude.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cephas posted:

maybe i'll finish act 3 some day. i actually adored the first few hours of it, but when it opened up it just felt like waaay too much stuff to do without a sense of motivation for me. it seems more like a giant bonus epilogue than a part of the main story, so i'm fine sitting on it

Really it's just every side quest you did in act 2 is available now but a bit different because of obvious reasons. And then some optional dungeons that reuse existing areas with harder enemies and boss fights, primarily as an avenue to level up. The actual story part is very short, it's just long because of all the side content, and the side content is worth doing on its own as each has satisfying moments for various characters and nice power ups.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I'm a big dragon quest fan and I did not do act 3 lmao get the hell outta here with "it's the true ending"

From the little reading I did, it involves a lot of grinding and repeating areas and it just doesn't sound fun. They would never design the end game of a dragon quest to be that annoying/ tedious or simply bad. It's very obvious post game stuff

So what if it wraps up the story differently/better? It's a dragon quest game, If I want an interesting story rather than generic fairy tale #22, I'd play Yakuza 7 instead

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Don't do act 3 because some goon told you it's The True Ending. Do do act 3 because it's some of the best content in the game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Coincidentally, I just finished Yakuza 7 and yeah that was an awesome dragon quest game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KingSlime posted:

They would never design the end game of a dragon quest to be that annoying/ tedious or simply bad.

Oh yeah for sure dude lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's true. Repeat bosses that require grinding and revisiting areas for new late game sidequests is almost always post game or optional content in most RPGs

It's bad game design to force that on people who just want to finish the story and I think the dragon quest devs knew exactly what they were doing when they had the credits roll at the end of act 2

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Interesting...

I thought i was done with the main game because the credits rolled, but how wrong i was... Veronica is resurrected and every cutscene is ten times better when one member of the party is dressed like freakin Garfield, so i will play Act 3 as long as it goddamn takes i guess! hahaha i love this game

You were correct in that it's the post game, people just really can't come to terms with the fact that post-games can have plot.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Act 3 is real, but isn't canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alard posted:

You were correct in that it's the post game, people just really can't come to terms with the fact that post-games can have plot.

If it has plot then it's just more game hth