Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don’t think I need much more reason to stay away from something called the “Vomit Gore Series” but hey, every bit helps.

And I think I’m too capitalism-poisoned to enjoy the Smile marketing. That kind of stuff is just a bit too cynically hokey to me at the best of times, but all I can think about is how much that must suck and that person is probably making a few hundred bucks at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy poo poo that’s a nice thing to have a short walk from your apartment.

I'm lucky enough to have this place like 3 blocks from my apartment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_Theater_(Denver)

Absolutely rules to be able to walk over and catch some random movie on a whim and they play a lot of great stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

And I think I’m too capitalism-poisoned to enjoy the Smile marketing. That kind of stuff is just a bit too cynically hokey to me at the best of times, but all I can think about is how much that must suck and that person is probably making a few hundred bucks at best

They're being paid in exposure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hah hell yeah. The Mayan is neat. I’ve only seen one thing there and it was a friends movie.

However it was very hot in that theater

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're being paid in exposure.

:sludgepal:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think the craziest marketing was when they got that guy to kill and torture a bunch of people in the 90s to promote that new Evans Peters series. The long game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

i think the craziest marketing was when they got that guy to kill and torture a bunch of people in the 90s to promote that new Evans Peters series. The long game.

Anybody else watched this yet? Peters gives a pretty stunning performance in it. Award worth imo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Anybody else watched this yet? Peters gives a pretty stunning performance in it. Award worth imo.

i usually hate Netflix shows but it really is excellent and Peters is KILLING it no pun intended. After seeing his performance I looked on youtube footage of the real Dahmer talking and it is downright eerie how close Peters is to the voice and mannerisms

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I’m not done with it but I think it’s great so far. You’re right about his performance, he’s nailing that weird scary fragility that Dahmer had when he was interviewed, I had kind of forgotten about how much he scared me when I was a kid. I really like the awkward chemistry between him and Richard Jenkins too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Opopanax posted:

I don’t think I need much more reason to stay away from something called the “Vomit Gore Series” but hey, every bit helps.
I guess it's a philosophical question. Is a horror movie "effective" if it just makes you queasy, or depressed? I don't think so, but there are times I think shocking or offending the audience can be a valid aim in itself.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

abstaining. its a weird one with the real life family members actively wanting it removed from the service and then the series goes on to portray those real people and the real court room moments.

I enjoy true crime and always have since I was a kid, but this feels too icky. I like my true crime cold and clinical or at least not giving me a portrayal that as I've read online so far as being as close to somewhat empathetic to the real killer as I never want to be.

people should enjoy the kinda television and movies that they want to. lord knows I do, but when it gets to the real victims and real events the line goes a very solid grey. theres just some stuff I dont need a dramatic portrayal of. the real stories are enough as is.

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if that was supposed to portray him as empathetic they did a wicked bad job, the entire show I was creeped out/disgusted by him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the families of Dahmer's victims saying they didn't want it to be made is reason enough for me to not bother with it. Just makes me feel gross.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t watched it but I will soon but that’s what I got from the last podcast episode. They talk about what a weird pathetic human he is and that’s what makes him creepy.

It’s the human part. He’s not a monster from hell that jumped into a body. He’s a deeply messed up mediocre human being

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

if that was supposed to portray him as empathetic they did a wicked bad job, the entire show I was creeped out/disgusted by him.

that's fair, but again that doesnt seem to be the consensus and just going by history with crimes historically worst offenders them finding a fan base isnt too far removed from reality. it just feels very weird to give them this pop culture treatment and not just excise parts for a character like a Hannibal Lecter or a Leatherface.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People have been lusting after dahmer forever. Idk. That won’t change

I guess I find true crime interesting and if someone is willing to dive into it in an interesting way I want to see it. I skipped the Bundy movie bc it seemed like it didn’t go hard enough on him from what I heard.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

that's fair, but again that doesnt seem to be the consensus and just going by history with crimes historically worst offenders them finding a fan base isnt too far removed from reality. it just feels very weird to give them this pop culture treatment and not just excise parts for a character like a Hannibal Lecter or a Leatherface.

I completely agree with your larger point. While I didn't feel like it glorified or emphasized with Dahmer, (i thought the oppposite), I def agree with your point about feeling weird about turning this real life murderer into a pop culture figure.

Then again despite being a horror movie and extreme horror enthusiast, i've never been interested in true crime/irl serial killers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought that Smile was a fun enough movie, but I don't watch much horror. Just that the jump scares were well set up, I liked the core idea behind the story and backstory and I appreciated some of the more slow builds. I particularly liked the phone fakeout where she's receiving a call from her security company and the conversation takes a weird turn where the consultant is like "and is there anyone in the house with you?" "Noooo..." "Are you sure? Turn around." and then as she's turning to look behind her, BOO the phone rings again and is suddenly back on the hook. After it was over I was like "OK, you got me. Well played, though I feel a bit dumb for falling for it."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
On the flip-side, a well done horror sequel that's made like a true crime documentary about a character (Michael Meyers, Fred Krueger, Pamela Voorhees) could be interesting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

I guess I find true crime interesting and if someone is willing to dive into it in an interesting way I want to see it. I skipped the Bundy movie bc it seemed like it didn’t go hard enough on him from what I heard.

Oh it absolutely wont change, just people wanting to know more about these disgusting monsters. The true crime genre is now a multi-million dollar industry (although with all the major streamers picking up this style of content and heading that direction I wont be surprised if it becomes a billion dollar industry) with not just podcasts and film/television adaptations, but a whole cottage industry of True Crime Convention circuits (which you can meet real life investigators and get their autographs that you pay for just like any other convention) and unfortunately as I learned this morning there is indeed a True Crime Boat Cruise operation.

https://www.crimecruise.com/

It was one thing for like people to be interested in these serial killers as interesting subjects to learn about whether you think youre gaining something about the psychology or just wanted to learn the history, but its a total other thing where it starts to feel like serial killer disneyland.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Savageland (which is up on youtube for free!) does something like that, a fictional story presented exactly like a true crime documentary.

It's also got some genuinely super creepy imagery involved, I loved it a lot.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

If you liked the LPOTL approach to him you’ll like this I think. He comes off as a sick and pathetic person and it spends a good amount of time showing how the justice system utterly failed to prevent this because of ingrained racism and homophobia. And yeah, I despised the Bundy movie because I thought it was wildly irresponsible.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Savageland (which is up on youtube for free!) does something like that, a fictional story presented exactly like a true crime documentary.

It's also got some genuinely super creepy imagery involved, I loved it a lot.

S&Man does this too.

Snow on Tha Bluff is another great "fake doc" movie but its not a horror movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drunkboxer posted:

If you liked the LPOTL approach to him you’ll like this I think. He comes off as a sick and pathetic person and it spends a good amount of time showing how the justice system utterly failed to prevent this because of ingrained racism and homophobia. And yeah, I despised the Bundy movie because I thought it was wildly irresponsible.

This is the stuff I’m into. I was never into true crime until LPOTL and that was because I ran out of the paranormal episodes and I liked the way they approached killers in a way that laughed at them for being so pathetic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

This is the stuff I’m into. I was never into true crime until LPOTL and that was because I ran out of the paranormal episodes and I liked the way they approached killers in a way that laughed at them for being so pathetic.

Eh to me that's still a bunch of dudes making $$$ off of people's horrific deaths, which is why I've never really liked true crime. Laughing at how pathetic someone is when irl people died horrific deaths, and getting paid to do it, doesnt sit with me even if its making fun of an evil person.

Then again I just watched the new Dahmer show so who the gently caress am I to talk

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 29, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon was good. Does anyone know if the announced sequel is actually in production? Seems like the director dropped off the map not long after the first one came out.

Like a lot of teenagers, I was interested in stuff like serial killers and political extremists in the 90s. But even then I didn't talk about it like it was juicy celebrity gossip. I think it's creepy to talk about Ted Bundy killing a woman with a log like we're dishing about The Bachelor or whatever. And that's without getting into the conservative and downright paranoid attitude of a lot of true crime content.

https://twitter.com/randyshart/status/1533898248674750464?s=20&t=3r7RKQCsz1VTOYM2XWmEYg

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Well the shows not funny, I don’t want to give you that impression.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Drunkboxer posted:

drat that’s lucky. Makes you feel like a king

I kind of wish I'd been able to see this with a crowd, what an insane, awesome movie. I don't know how much longer I'm even going to have a local theater, it's not uncommon for the only people there to be me and my family

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If Smile is as jumpscared-filled as I've heard, I hope the showing I'm at tomorrow is busy. Crowds getting jumpscared is always fun.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess it's a philosophical question. Is a horror movie "effective" if it just makes you queasy, or depressed? I don't think so, but there are times I think shocking or offending the audience can be a valid aim in itself.

I think I would differentiate between something being 'horror' and something just being 'shocking'. John Waters getting Divine to eat a real dog poo poo in Pink Flamingos is horrifying, it's shocking absolutely, but it's not horror. I think there's a lot of filmmakers out there who mistakenly conflate something being shocking, gross, or in bad taste for being 'horror' or 'scary'. It's like how I feel about certain parts of A Serbian Film.

There's a comedy skit (I think it's an old Kids in the Hall one, but I honestly don't remember) where a French guy keeps holding a lit cigarette up to a baby's mouth and being like, "Oh ho ho, does this SHOCK you, Americans? Are you SHOCKED by this? How SHOCKED you must be!" That's how I feel about a decent amount of stuff that comes out of low-to-mid-budget movies, like the Gutterballs chat earlier, or the aforementioned Serbian Film ending. Horror is made up of a million little elements, and being discomforted is certainly one of them, but it's not the only one.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Gaz2k21 posted:

Did you guys know that there’s a Japanese remake of cube ? Because there is and I’ve just put it on…..

Opening scene ruled …

I remember enjoying it. Similar set up, different story beats and ending. It's been a while so I may be misremembering, but the cubes in this one also seemed smaller, giving the film a more claustrophobic feeling.

Felt more like a re-imagining than a remake, and a hell of a lot better than either of the original's sequels. 7/10 easy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

feedmyleg posted:

Report back in, I was super curious about that one.

It’s definitely worth a watch, especially if you enjoyed the original films, it follows a lot of what happens in the first movie but goes off on the occasional tangent.
The performances are good and the SFX are a big step up it’s also clear they had fun coming up with new traps but only two actually get used you see others but no one falls fowl of them

I loved the original cube and it’s been a while since I’ve seen it so I may go back and give it a viewing.

More cube is never a bad thing…(yes I enjoyed cube 2/0)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

lol i've never listened to a true crime podcast, is this what they're like??

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that simpsons bit where they make fun of the true crime podcasts is so spot on, I can't find it otherwise id share

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

:agreed: Extremely unnerving throughout

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

As small town community living has slowly morphed into modern tract housing over the last few decades, and traditional communication has become decentralized, true crime podcasts have emerged as the evolution of the same gossip-mills that your grandparents were a part of in their offices or social centers. Except instead of quietly talking about your neighbor who is having an affair, we're now talking about gruesome murders and gaining a sense of community (and parasocial relationships) from it in the same way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If Smile is as jumpscared-filled as I've heard, I hope the showing I'm at tomorrow is busy. Crowds getting jumpscared is always fun.

I thought that the jumpscares were well earned and built up well enough that they didn't feel cheap, and it has some neat non-jump creepy moments that help balance the scales.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy poo poo that’s a nice thing to have a short walk from your apartment.

Not to humble brag, but I actually have 3 movie theaters within like 2 blocks of my apartment; 4 if you count the performing arts theater that will sometimes screen films. I don't really go to the art house one that often, since the normal ones have the fancy leather recliners, but it's nice for a change of pace.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

As small town community living has slowly morphed into modern tract housing over the last few decades, and traditional communication has become decentralized, true crime podcasts have emerged as the evolution of the same gossip-mills that your grandparents were a part of in their offices or social centers. Except instead of quietly talking about your neighbor who is having an affair, we're now talking about gruesome murders and gaining a sense of community (and parasocial relationships) from it in the same way.

Tbh true crime has been a profitable business for literally hundreds of years. It’s been all over tv my whole life and true crime magazines were crazy popular in the early twentieth century and caused similar moral sneers that podcasts do now. There’s been tons of tv shows like Unsolved Mysteries, Rescue 911 etc, revered movies like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and revered books like In Cold Blood. I don’t really buy that podcasts are filling some gossipy grandma gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved Fascination. What's the next Jean Rollin film I should watch?