Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Braincloud posted:

Oh neat. Woke up this morning feeling like something was off and realized my alarm hadn’t gone off. Looked over at my phone 14 Pro (plugged into the charging cable) and it was off. Well that’s weird, maybe I got lint in the port and it died overnight? Nope. Phone wouldn’t power on at all. No charging indicator, nothing. It was like it was bricked.

Finally found out how to force restart (volume up, volume down, hold side button) and it popped back to life.

Came here to post this. Already looked up force restart and it worked but

quote:

WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SourKraut posted:

So I’m on a 11 Pro, and with Verizon’s offer of $800 for trade in, I’ve seriously been debating on going to a 14 Pro, but now I’m even thinking/tempted by the 14 Pro Max.

Has anyone gone from one of the standard size Pros to a Pro Max and have feedback on it?

I had a 6+ then a 8+, but so much of the size was take up by non-screen elements that when I went to the 11 Pro, it seemed like such an improvement.

The +’s always seemed big, and I know the Pro Max is about that size, but having it be all screen seems so nice…

The size isn’t a problem. The Max line isn’t actually that much larger than the standard models, you can compare them at phonearena.com.

The bigger deal, imo, is the weight. The Max’s are heavy as gently caress. It’s my one gripe with my 13PM.

I feel like the 11 Pro was probably my favorite form factor. If I had it to do over again, I’d go with the standard 13 Pro. You don’t get that much more size, and the battery life difference, while measurable, isn’t necessary as the regular Pro gets more than enough.

e: also I know they need to have space for 5g antennas, but bring back rounded edges. Feels better in the hand.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 29, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

So I’m on a 11 Pro, and with Verizon’s offer of $800 for trade in, I’ve seriously been debating on going to a 14 Pro, but now I’m even thinking/tempted by the 14 Pro Max.

Has anyone gone from one of the standard size Pros to a Pro Max and have feedback on it?

I had a 6+ then a 8+, but so much of the size was take up by non-screen elements that when I went to the 11 Pro, it seemed like such an improvement.

The +’s always seemed big, and I know the Pro Max is about that size, but having it be all screen seems so nice…

Really really depends on if you think you’ll be ok with 2 hand use versus 1 hand use.

The max is def bigger. So bigger screen, cool. But it’s bigger in pocket , bigger to hold, etc and some people are cool with it some are not.

Fyi the promos end tomorrow (Friday) so anyone upgrading you’re gonna want to do it today or tomorrow.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to help you order the phone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Soul Glo posted:

The size isn’t a problem. The Max line isn’t actually that much larger than the standard models, you can compare them at phonearena.com.

The bigger deal, imo, is the weight. The Max’s are heavy as gently caress. It’s my one gripe with my 13PM.

I feel like the 11 Pro was probably my favorite form factor. If I had it to do over again, I’d go with the standard 13 Pro. You don’t get that much more size, and the battery life difference, while measurable, isn’t necessary as the regular Pro gets more than enough.

e: also I know they need to have space for 5g antennas, but bring back rounded edges. Feels better in the hand.

Agreed with all of this except I really did appreciate the difference the larger battery made. I went from a 13 pro max to a 14 pro and while I miss my huge screen the weight was annoying.

And yes round edges are so much better to hold. A heavy phone with sharp edges sucks.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Came here to post this. Already looked up force restart and it worked but

Wtf how many people on 14 Pro are just waking up to turned off phones? If I had a big work meeting or whatever I was prepping for in the morning and none of my seven alarms went off, that is a huge deal. Should I just buy a small alarm clock as a backup, do people do that?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Soul Glo posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

Really really depends on if you think you’ll be ok with 2 hand use versus 1 hand use.

The max is def bigger. So bigger screen, cool. But it’s bigger in pocket , bigger to hold, etc and some people are cool with it some are not.

Fyi the promos end tomorrow (Friday) so anyone upgrading you’re gonna want to do it today or tomorrow.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to help you order the phone.

Snowy posted:

Agreed with all of this except I really did appreciate the difference the larger battery made. I went from a 13 pro max to a 14 pro and while I miss my huge screen the weight was annoying.

And yes round edges are so much better to hold. A heavy phone with sharp edges sucks.

Thanks all! I went and checked them out, and the larger screen is tempting, but I also do remember how difficult it was to manipulate my old 8+ in one hand, and how much it was an improvement with the 11 Pro for one-handed use. I'm probably going to end up ordering a 14 Pro then.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inner Light posted:

Wtf how many people on 14 Pro are just waking up to turned off phones? If I had a big work meeting or whatever I was prepping for in the morning and none of my seven alarms went off, that is a huge deal. Should I just buy a small alarm clock as a backup, do people do that?

Until I find out why I’m thinking of it or setting up old phone as a backup. :iiam:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Inner Light posted:

I have never trusted a phone for a wake up alarm. That dates back to the pre-smartphone days when I definitely had a few unreliable phones. I’ve been using a regular alarm clock with a battery backup my whole life.

And likely that was some kind of software glitch, I’ve seen a lot of iPhones over the years stuck on a black screen that required a hard reset (or the battery to die) before they would show any signs of life. It’s possible there’s something specific with the 14 Pro (maybe the always on display?), and if that’s the case I’d expect it to get fixed in an iOS update as soon as they figure it out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Another botched product roll out from Apple :rolleye:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm loving these airpod pros 2, the sound cancellation is really quite incredible.

I wanted to turn on the location based reminder if I leave them behind in Find My but the toggle is greyed out. Is it because my iPhone is too old? Its an SE 2020.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of location based find my reminders, they are terrible ime. The alerts almost never appear for me and when they do my AirPods or iPad are always right next to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: idiot

The Dave fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 30, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soul Glo posted:

Mods, ban this sick filth!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Mods, ban this sick filth!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Round edge supremacy, feels nice and smooth.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Surfboard is boring. Flat side is iconic and reminiscent of the iPhone 4/5 which was gorgeous.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

xzzy posted:

Round edge supremacy, feels nice and smooth.

Counterpoint: smooth edge phones are slippery bars of soap, sharp rectangular phones grip better.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Round edges can go gently caress themselves and so can anyone who thinks they're good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I’m surprised how grippy the glass back of the pro is.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Laserface posted:

Round edges can go gently caress themselves and so can anyone who thinks they're good.

That's a sharp angle to take

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
No matter what I set my preferred transit type to in Settings > Maps (public transit or walking), the Apple Maps app will always default to driving directions.

Only started with the iOS 16 update so hopefully it’ll get fixed soon, but it’s a nuisance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really can’t get over the refresh rate on the 14 pro, probably the biggest sleeper feature for me.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Surfboard is boring. Flat side is iconic and reminiscent of the iPhone 4/5 which was gorgeous.

100% this the iphone 4 is the most beautiful thing Apple has ever designed and I'm glad the new ones are just big iPhone 4s in better colours.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The Grumbles posted:

100% this the iphone 4 is the most beautiful thing Apple has ever designed and I'm glad the new ones are just big iPhone 4s in better colours.

My first iPhone was a 4S and I always thought the shape was perfection, I’m also very glad to have it back.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

For the people who have had the crackling in their AirPods, is there a certain thing that triggers it?

I think one of my AirPods is doing it whenever I talk while listening to something. It seems to crackle or buzz as if the microphone is picking up the sound and putting it through to the actual podcast sound.

The reason I am asking is that the nearest Apple Store is almost 2 hours away. I want to make sure that I am on the right path before driving that far.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Call or chat with Apple support. I had mine replaced 3 times for the same thing. I could hear the crackle even if nothing was playing as long as I had noise cancelling on. The nearest Apple Store to me is about an hour away so I’ve always had the replacements mailed out. The first two time they sent me only the single replacement airpod and had me send the defective one back, the last time they sent me a box to send my AirPods to them first and then sent me back my old case with two new AirPods.

This experience is why I’m holding out on buying a pair of second gens, even though apple has been great with replacing even after my warranty expired it has been a hassle. I want to make sure there isn’t the same issue with the new ones.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 30, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For the people who have had the crackling in their AirPods, is there a certain thing that triggers it?

I think one of my AirPods is doing it whenever I talk while listening to something. It seems to crackle or buzz as if the microphone is picking up the sound and putting it through to the actual podcast sound.

The reason I am asking is that the nearest Apple Store is almost 2 hours away. I want to make sure that I am on the right path before driving that far.

what you're describing is what I experienced with mine. Brought them to the store, and after testing them, both were confirmed to be malfunctioning (I only ever heard crackling in one).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Listening to high volume drum and bass(something with high bpm) while on transparency or noise cancel was the core trigger for mine.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That happened to me as well. I only noticed crackling in one but when they ran the diagnostic both failed.

The issue on AirPods pro mics manifests only on noise cancelling scenarios and noise cancelling scenarios will fail if even one is broken

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thwomp posted:

what you're describing is what I experienced with mine. Brought them to the store, and after testing them, both were confirmed to be malfunctioning (I only ever heard crackling in one).

That happened to me as well. I only noticed crackling in one but when they ran the diagnostic both failed.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Is there any word on fixing the 14 pro camera? Still can’t focus in any third party apps at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rally posted:

Is there any word on fixing the 14 pro camera? Still can’t focus in any third party apps at all.

16.0.2 came out last week

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

16.0.2 came out last week

Didn’t fix it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of the camera on the 14 Pro / Pro Max, is the camera supposed to go blurry if you turn macro mode off? Also I find it sometimes has focusing issues on things like QR codes. Wondering if I could get AppleCare+ and use it. I did have the camera make a loud click noise on Instagram.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of the camera on the 14 Pro / Pro Max, is the camera supposed to go blurry if you turn macro mode off?
If you’re within like 8” of whatever you’re trying to focus on then yes absolutely. (Unless something is special about the 14 Pro that I’m not aware of.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking for some thoughts. I have a launch-purchased iPhone 12 mini and love the size. Battery health is 88%.

Should I…

1) Keep the phone until the battery is unusable or I break it.

2) Replace it now with a 13 mini for $350 after trade in. Better (and new) battery and newer chip and smaller notch are the only benefits I think.

3) Deal with reality on the larger screen and get a 14 for $550. This would get a better front camera and the satellite stuff vs the 13.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trade for a 13m.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don’t get the 13 Mini. Barely any difference to justify the price even at $350. 88% battery also means you still have a little bit before it affects performance.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

smackfu posted:

Looking for some thoughts. I have a launch-purchased iPhone 12 mini and love the size. Battery health is 88%.

Should I…

2) Replace it now with a 13 mini for $350 after trade in. Better (and new) battery and newer chip and smaller notch are the only benefits I think.

3) Deal with reality on the larger screen and get a 14 for $550. This would get a better front camera and the satellite stuff vs the 13.

4) pay $70 for a battery replacement when the battery performance degrades beyond your needs and keep using it for another couple years

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Should I…

If you do the 14 do the 14 pro. Worth the difference IMO.

That said, if you want the smaller phone get the 13 Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rally posted:

Didn’t fix it

I still get the “paste permission” message here and it’s annoying.