Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Framboise posted:

Tim's life stories never fail to be my favorite parts of his videos. I perpetually find myself longing for nostalgia that isn't mine, to be the kind of person who, instead of wanting to go to places I've only read about, actually has gone and lived there.

Ya thats why I consider his videos more than just reviews his tangents are so great, he gives you random insight into Japanese society, game development in early PS1 era and he presents it all in a such a interesting manner.

Framboise posted:

I enjoyed it more than all of the ones he's done so far aside from the Tokimeki Memorial review*, which I feel is his gold standard.

But I feel like if I watched it again, I'd just skip to part 5 because that was the part I enjoyed most.

*(That's a lie, my favorite Tim content is his Slow Retranslation of FFVII)

I haven't finished it but ya I think this is giving me Tokimeki Memorial vibes. When he reviews Japanese games in particular he has so much knowledge from that side of the industry due to living there and working with companies.

The quality is top freaking notch, the edits and footage goes so well with the "review". The only bad thing is his content takes forever to comeout .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Batman shirt kinda hurts my brain. He says he has worn it constantly for 30 years but it looks to be in great condition. The decals are unblemished. The black is still dark.

Even if it had been hand washed 100% of the time and drip dried in the dark it still wouldn't look like this.

I think he's embellishing his story.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Speaking of shirts: https://shop.actionbutton.net/products/action-button-reviews-boku-no-natsuyasumi-the-bottom-line-by-dan-dussault
I couldn't resist and ordered one.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

The Batman shirt kinda hurts my brain. He says he has worn it constantly for 30 years but it looks to be in great condition. The decals are unblemished. The black is still dark.

Even if it had been hand washed 100% of the time and drip dried in the dark it still wouldn't look like this.

I think he's embellishing his story.

Never mind that it's a shirt he wore in fifth grade and still fits him just fine in his early 40s. I know he's said in the past he was overweight as a kid, but even then it does seem like a stretch.

It's fine really, I don't mind some embellishment if it makes for a better story impact tbh, but it does kind of conflict somewhat with his aforementioned desire to show a more genuine side of himself after the first season of Action Button.

He's either telling the truth, somehow, or I'm definitely suspending disbelief. Ah well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Framboise posted:

*(That's a lie, my favorite Tim content is his Slow Retranslation of FFVII)

I don't think anything he does in the future will top that for me, but I'll still watch his content religiously as it comes out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine being as unhappy as Waltzing Along is all the time

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I nearly started tearing up at the end of the Kansas segment... and then laughed out loud at "and now it's time for "The Bottom Line" and hard cut to HBomb doing the "ad read"

I'm so glad he *did* go back to visit the grave :)

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Framboise posted:

Never mind that it's a shirt he wore in fifth grade and still fits him just fine in his early 40s. I know he's said in the past he was overweight as a kid, but even then it does seem like a stretch.

It's fine really, I don't mind some embellishment if it makes for a better story impact tbh, but it does kind of conflict somewhat with his aforementioned desire to show a more genuine side of himself after the first season of Action Button.

He's either telling the truth, somehow, or I'm definitely suspending disbelief. Ah well.

I dunno, the shirts I owned in fifth grade were ENORMOUSLY huge. Combination of the style in the 90s and my parents wanting to make sure I could "grow into them". I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same case.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
btw in his last Patreon email Tim said he wanted the s2 finale (Earthbound) to come out on Xmas Day 2023 so take bets now on how late it ends up being

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress... I was suddenly gripped by an intense desire to re-rewatch the Tokimeki video... it's so good...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really know what tim's season 2 gameplan is. Before this video my understanding was they were going to be shorter and have more segments produced by people he wanted to hire, neither of which seemingly manifested this time.

I think I'm at peace with one year or so per tim given they are 6 hour videos at such a high degree of elaborateness produced, written, directed, and acted by one person. Maybe the one not at peace with that, is tim himself

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm more than content to watch a 6 hour video on whatever he wants to talk about. Dude could talk about grass growing and paint drying and somehow make it interesting.

That said I'd also be more than content with more 2-3 hour videos over 1 6 hour one over the same period of time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

btw in his last Patreon email Tim said he wanted the s2 finale (Earthbound) to come out on Xmas Day 2023 so take bets now on how late it ends up being

Season 2 will only have 2 episodes???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao

everything we know so far:

LA Noire is 202
Castlevania Rondo of Blood is 203
Final Fantasy IV is either 204 or 205
We do not know which the other is!
Earthbound is 206

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LA Noire is such a weird choice because it’s not very good or particularly interesting but I’m sure he can make a compelling 10 hour video about it anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

LA Noire is such a weird choice because it’s not very good or particularly interesting but I’m sure he can make a compelling 10 hour video about it anyway

He did say last season that he thinks LA Noire is one of the best games ever made so I’m looking forward to his reasons.

Angryhead posted:

I nearly started tearing up at the end of the Kansas segment... and then laughed out loud at "and now it's time for "The Bottom Line" and hard cut to HBomb doing the "ad read"

I'm so glad he *did* go back to visit the grave :)

Same

The Kansas segment was surprisingly moving and I could easily see myself rewatching that part more than once. There was a lot to take in and I found it weirdly relevant to a lot of things I’ve been feeling myself.

And then the massive tonal shift into the bizarre hbomb ad read made me laugh out loud, it’s so good

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 29, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really know what tim's season 2 gameplan is. Before this video my understanding was they were going to be shorter and have more segments produced by people he wanted to hire, neither of which seemingly manifested this time.

I think I'm at peace with one year or so per tim given they are 6 hour videos at such a high degree of elaborateness produced, written, directed, and acted by one person. Maybe the one not at peace with that, is tim himself

Hey now! This video was 40% shorter than the Cyberpunk 2077 video series.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao

LA Noire is 202
Earthbound is 206

Tim doing a video on FFIV and Earthbound should be a reason for anyone to keep pushin' on through life. I don't think there's anything I'd anticipate harder than Tim's commentary on Earthbound especially.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Harrow posted:

He did say last season that he thinks LA Noire is one of the best games ever made so I’m looking forward to his reasons.

Hi, I'm Tim Rogers. I had never been to LA before, but after playing LA Noire, I knew how to get around downtown LA like the back of my hand. Also, the facial animations were pretty okay.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What if you could explore a bygone world, in a setting even more lifeless than a museum?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wyoming?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao

LA Noire is 202
Earthbound is 206

im going to lose my mind when he gets to rondo and FFIV

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Framboise posted:

Tim doing a video on FFIV and Earthbound should be a reason for anyone to keep pushin' on through life. I don't think there's anything I'd anticipate harder than Tim's commentary on Earthbound especially.

it might inspire me to finally finish earthbound

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
He's been dropping big hints that he'll cover Days Gone.

The theme of this season seems to be open worlds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fez_machine posted:

He's been dropping big hints that he'll cover Days Gone.

The theme of this season seems to be open worlds.

Yeah in the open world video for Cyberpunk he talked about wanting to do a proper video on a good open world game in S2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Days gone would be great

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't played Days Gone but I can't believe that LA Noire would be the game he'd pick for a title that used an open world well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe the focus will be on the development rather than the game itself? IIRC, LA Noire has quite the story with its creation.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Terper posted:

gently caress... I was suddenly gripped by an intense desire to re-rewatch the Tokimeki video... it's so good...

i’ve watched it like 7 times lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Framboise posted:

I'm more than content to watch a 6 hour video on whatever he wants to talk about. Dude could talk about grass growing and paint drying and somehow make it interesting.

That said I'd also be more than content with more 2-3 hour videos over 1 6 hour one over the same period of time.

Ya I don't know, I can't watch any other video game analysis of this length. The guy's a natural and I love how it all comes back to his personal experiences albeit it's a bit self indulgent sometimes. I first saw his DQ11 review at Kotaku and started watching w.e video he was in but I feel like he was quite underutilized at Kotaku. Also I feel like the editing in his videos are so freaking good for the length. The in game footage, edits always go along with what he is saying, it's not random gameplay like alot of other youtube game analysis people.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't know I think it's pretty interesting because there is no other game like it? It's a detective game and I know Tim loves games where the focus is not just combat. You can pretty much play whole of LA Noire with minimal combat. The face tech at the time was pretty great and it had a in game motive as well unlike certain other games that just do it for production values. I think at the time it was a pretty good game because there was nothing like it in that type of genre. Usually if you describe a game like LA Noire you would bet it's a light novel type game or small indie game not a mega triple A photorealistic LA game backed by Rockstar/Taketwo. I do agree though on your last point, I would watch Tim talk about a EA sports game at this point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
season 2 really lacking on the shotgun sfx

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

BINGO

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Countblanc posted:

But it was that much more satisfying when it did show up the first time like 2h45 min into the video!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

I think HBomb did it in his Deus Ex video for what it's worth. Maybe they made some kind of trade, where HBomb did an ad for Tim and Tim let him have the joke.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sir Tonk posted:

im going to lose my mind when he gets to rondo and FFIV

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
Tim Rogers is the Marcel Proust of video game journalism, and we're blessed to have such a thing exist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here read his Final Fantasy VI essay from a couple years back? http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=3272

In a lot of ways the Boku no Natsuyasumi review feels like a thematic continuation of it or almost like a resolution to some of the feelings he talks about in the essay.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah! It’s very good. He has a Kotaku FFVI vid where he repeats a lot of it. At the beginning of this stream I believe

https://youtu.be/0h_-JoSUFfQ

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Hold on, Tim sat at a high school lunch table with Subway Jared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao yes. he was a friend of Tim’s older brother