Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh the Zabrack people are not from Dathomir, I think maybe the rancors are the most intelligent species from there. The Witches and zabracks moved there to soak in the sweet sweet EVIL.
That being said, Dathomir has one of the most convoluted-rear end maps in the entire game and I really didnt enjoy it much. Except for, of course, the best character in the game.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I played a lot of KoTOR, so I'm a bit of a Korriban fan myself. I rather like the "Dark Side" planet thing, though I'll confess that Kreia's monologue on the planet is part of why I like it so much.

Still, glad they don't make you go there in this game. It's all cool and stuff, but maybe overdone by now. That, and Tattooine.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

painedforever posted:

I played a lot of KoTOR, so I'm a bit of a Korriban fan myself. I rather like the "Dark Side" planet thing, though I'll confess that Kreia's monologue on the planet is part of why I like it so much.

Still, glad they don't make you go there in this game. It's all cool and stuff, but maybe overdone by now. That, and Tattooine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got some serious Korriban vibes from Dathomir. The planets just exude the same energy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, how long has this thread been stickied?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ever since lazyfire became king admin of SA

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

real answer, lp mods have started stickying random(ish) threads, they go up for a week or so and then a new one gets featured. more eyes on cool stuff, hooray!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, how long has this thread been stickied?

:mrgw:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh hell, I thought it was something I did. Didn't help that no-one had posted in any of the other threads I'm following for a few hours...

Lazyfire posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got some serious Korriban vibes from Dathomir. The planets just exude the same energy.

No tombs though, right? No Sith Lords who sound like venereal diseases.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alright. Maybe someone has pointed it out earlier, I dunno.

But why, when the Mantis is landing, does it rotate its main wing to a horizontal position from vertical, just to put it BACK to a vertical position.

I mean, it's Star Wars, I know it's not realistic in the slightest - but that just seems silly.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The Mantis is kind of a silly design. I was never a fan of the giant purposeless sail in the first place.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Samovar posted:

Alright. Maybe someone has pointed it out earlier, I dunno.

But why, when the Mantis is landing, does it rotate its main wing to a horizontal position from vertical, just to put it BACK to a vertical position.

I mean, it's Star Wars, I know it's not realistic in the slightest - but that just seems silly.

Because that's a cool feature for the toys/lego sets to include.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Greeze Cal accidentally hit the rotation button while landing and it had to be fixed in a hurry before they actually landed. That's why the sail went sideways then back up! ;)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It rotates the engine and sail into the horizontal to get the engine out of the way of the landing gear, before moving the sail back to vertical to save space on landing pads.

So, why doesn't it just swing the engine out of the way? Well, uhhhhhhh...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Peak behind the curtain: I originally encoded this video on Friday morning, but the program ate the file, which I didn't realize until I went to upload it. Then when I went to re-edit and reencode the file the program wouldn't fully launch and I had to restart my PC before it would work. Then I uploaded the unedited video instead of the edited file, so when I went to post yesterday I realized I had hosed up. Now we're here, the correct file and everything. I've never had this many self owns over one video.

I really like fighting the zombie nightsisters. They're probably one of my favorite enemies as they are relatively weak and you can take on a half dozen at a time and still come out doing OK. You can do all sorts of bullshit and come out none the worse for wear so the game starts to feel more like the power fantasy Jedi games when going against the undead; it's a nice inversion of the formula present through the rest of the game where sometimes a third dude coming at you with a stun stick is just overwhelming.

I have to admit I've completely lost track of how many deaths I've taken. I think legit "Cal is dead for real, restart." deaths are in the single digits, and may actually be just one at this point. I think we're around 50 thanks to the five death video. This planet probably would have claimed a lot more Cals if I had come here before the plot directed me. There's a couple spots you can't pass without specific abilities, but the enemies also hit way harder and the extra health and stims you get are vital. I will say I love that because the place is low tech BD upgrades like the scomp link and the zipline climb don't factor into the level, so as long as you had push and pull you could hit this place up and get to the "end" if you were good enough. I wouldn't want to try, though. Fights would be much tougher and it would take forever to play defensively enough to survive between meditation points with only a few stims and almost no health.

biosterous posted:

real answer, lp mods have started stickying random(ish) threads, they go up for a week or so and then a new one gets featured. more eyes on cool stuff, hooray!

If you ruin enough of Sally's videos you get special privileges, actually.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Who doesn't love a little Star Wars Space Program action? I'm surprised it wasn't some sort of Lyyychen there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What are those things coming out of their backs? Look like the rails on an EVA unit.

Get in the Night Sister, Shinji!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ok, now that I see the double-edged lightsaber hits targets behind you, NOW I see it's advantages.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lazyfire posted:

I have to admit I've completely lost track of how many deaths I've taken.

I think somebody else was keeping track, actually.

Dathomir is a bit weird, actually. A bit buggy. You float on the swampwater, but sink into the ground.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Forgot to say before - the puzzle with the slab of rock that swings back when you try to climb it? Pretty sure you use 'push' then 'slow' on it.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Forgot to say before - the puzzle with the slab of rock that swings back when you try to climb it? Pretty sure you use 'push' then 'slow' on it.

It's exactly what he did, but he also forgot you can hold the slow button to keep it going longer.
Making it easier to climb the bastard.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lynneth posted:

It's exactly what he did, but he also forgot you can hold the slow button to keep it going longer.
Making it easier to climb the bastard.

My first playthrough I got stuck there thinking the Push should be enough and that I just needed to hold it to make it happen. I almost got up the thing on an early attempt by pulling and then pushing and jumping at the same time and was convinced I just needed to time it right until I just hit it with Slow after pushing it and felt dumb as hell for the rest of the day. Outside of the Fire/Ball puzzle from a while back these little challenges are going pretty smoothly this time around. Maybe they are just easy or maybe I got smarter since I played it last, who knows.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You aren’t the only one who barely uses Precision Evade. 3 playthroughs and 3 years of this game and I still have yet to earn the associated trophy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slight spoilers for the video ahead: What is it with this game and singular, giant birds? Is this thing technically a mammal? It has hair. If I had to compare the birds I think the Dathomir bird wins out over the Kashyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyk bird for a number of reasons. One is that it's an enemy and so there's more to really experience there, between the fight and the QTEs the game throws down. Our forest bird is a theme park ride by comparison. Second: the whole experience with Gargara is just much cooler and more involved. Having to not only fight it, but then go through the whole sequence of being thrown off, catching on again and eventually taking it down is so much more interactive than anything we get in Wookie land. Finally, the design just fits the planet better than rando skull hammer bird. The color pallet of Dathomir and the design of the enemies we've already encountered just seems like a better match than the spiders on Kashyyyk (god I hate typing that out normally) or the one flying monster or the slugs. It's all fleshy and pointy and works great with the rest of the motif going on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lazyfire posted:

Is this thing technically a mammal?

Bats are mammals, yes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Considering the Gorgora is an alien, it may be a mammal or it may not. Regardless, it’s a cool boss fight. Fulfills the Star Wars staple well.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Bats are mammals, yes.

Definitely a bat. A giant, gross bat.

The horned guys are Zabraks, aren't they? Darth Maul was one, but so was Bao-Dur from KoTOR. Are they native to Dathomir in this game? Or just colonists?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i thought they were from Iridonia so i am guessing Dathomir is a colony

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
and with those questions we have hopefully summoned a star wars lore nerd more powerful than either of us....

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just really don't like how weak this game makes the lightsaber to the point where nameless stormtroopers with sticks and shirtless tribesmen can just take a half-dozen hits with your "cuts through nearly everything" energy weapon.

Okay that Gorgaga climbing/flying/falling/flying/falling/flying/falling sequence was pretty good. (The count I'm using does include those deaths, because even if the sequence is bullshit or hard, it's still a death.)

painedforever posted:

I think somebody else was keeping track, actually.

Sorry, I've been distracted or busy with other stuff and haven't been keeping up on the thread so much.

Funny enough, he actually over-estimated his deaths. What he called death 50 was only death 45. But he did get to 50 by the end of "Gorgara".

Wanderer: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (44)
Husks: – Falls: 1 // Total: 1 (45)
Gorgara: – Bosses: 1, Falls: 4 // Total: 5 (50)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sally posted:

and with those questions we have hopefully summoned a star wars lore nerd more powerful than either of us....

YOU SUMMONED ME!

To answer your question, yes Zabrak are not native to Dathomir. However, they Dathomirian Zabrak are considered an off-shoot from a colony. As can be seen, male Dathomirian Zabraks, the nightbrothers, have different skintones with Red and Yellow being the most common with black splash. Famous nightbrothers include Darth Maul and his younger brother Savage Oppress (Yes, that's his real name). Female Dathomrian Zabraks are the nightsisters, with the most famous being Mother Talzin, who is literally Maul and Savage's mother (So I guess Maul is Maul Oppress....god drat that's dumb). Also Asajj Ventress. Nightsisters are also known for losing their horns. Sexual dimorphism, not just for Nidorans anymore

Edit:I just remembered the third brother's name. Feral. Feral Oppress......god loving dammit

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2022

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
New head cannon: Maul and his brothers are Irish Zabrakians, and their last name is actually O'Press.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Moll O'Press?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol thank you bunny

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sally posted:

lol thank you bunny

If you ever need someone who knows way too much about the stupid miniuatie about Star Wars just light the symbol of the Hapan Cluster and I shall be there like a sexy matrilinial pirate.

(Fun fact about Dathomir, in old Canon Han Solo won it in a card game and kidnapped Leia and took her there to Stockholm syndrome her into marrying him)

can I get Jaxxon the Star Wars rabbit as an avatar? or Lop from visions I ain't picky

Double edit: my knowledge is a curse. I just had to explain all of the courtship of princess leia to my wife

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 30, 2022

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Double edit: my knowledge is a curse. I just had to explain all of the courtship of princess leia to my wife
I imagine she was horrified at the remove-consent gun. :stonk: Courtship is particularly bad in retrospect.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I imagine she was horrified at the remove-consent gun. :stonk: Courtship is particularly bad in retrospect.

Yes she was. She just recently finished SOTE and was horrified by Xizors naturally emitting roofies

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I'm not a wookiepedia nerd but what's going on with the setting here. The Mother uses "powerful majick", but Cal also calls them Jedi? Unead are running around all willy nilly, it feels weird to square the circle here between the two.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sorry Lazyfire, this is now a Shadows of the Empire thread and we're gonna talk about Han Solo 2.0, sex pest lizard man, comedianbot, and the Real Doll assassin.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The secret of star wars is that it collapses if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
to clarify this is a real doll that is an assassin and not an assassin of real dolls.

i used to think disney decanonizing the EU was a bad thing but now that i type these words...