Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Oh yea, the rest of the world moves on while you're still hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Anxiously refreshing this weatherman's twitter feed for positive kitten updates :ohdear:
https://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWX/status/1575220861304381440

After deleting the tweet, claiming they went out and saw it jump in and get swept away, other less credible tweets coming out confirming it didn't survive, then every employee locking their comments from all the hate messages, they posted some random cat:
https://twitter.com/sydneypersing/status/1575543616747016193

Even in the best case scenario of it actually being the cat, their initial post makes me feel less bad about
https://twitter.com/MattDevittWINK/status/1575510179432779782

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes
I'm working in the Fort Myers area as a paramedic and it's hit or miss on the damage around here (at least in the city not the islands obviously). Pretty sure my apartment is gonna be condemned, all my neighbors on the first floor had 6-7 ft of water inside. While my place on the second floor was fine I cant imagine them wanting to redo all the apartment on the first floor instead of tearing it down. Both water and power are gone and will probably not be up for weeks.

Thinking I will give it till Monday and see what the situation is and then decide if I am gonna abandon ship or stick it out. Only real thing keeping me here is nursing school but I can just restart that elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea on Florida laws in relationship to breaking a lease on an unlivable appartment?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

sleppy posted:

After deleting the tweet, claiming they went out and saw it jump in and get swept away, other less credible tweets coming out confirming it didn't survive, then every employee locking their comments from all the hate messages, they posted some random cat:
https://twitter.com/sydneypersing/status/1575543616747016193

Even in the best case scenario of it actually being the cat, their initial post makes me feel less bad about
https://twitter.com/MattDevittWINK/status/1575510179432779782

WINK going to keep coming up with more and more elaborate lies about the cat, just get a new weatherman.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Soxorz posted:

I'm working in the Fort Myers area as a paramedic and it's hit or miss on the damage around here (at least in the city not the islands obviously). Pretty sure my apartment is gonna be condemned, all my neighbors on the first floor had 6-7 ft of water inside. While my place on the second floor was fine I cant imagine them wanting to redo all the apartment on the first floor instead of tearing it down. Both water and power are gone and will probably not be up for weeks.

Thinking I will give it till Monday and see what the situation is and then decide if I am gonna abandon ship or stick it out. Only real thing keeping me here is nursing school but I can just restart that elsewhere.

Anyone have any idea on Florida laws in relationship to breaking a lease on an unlivable appartment?

In a sane place I'd assume they either let you break it or they're on the hook for providing you similar accommodations as you signed an agreement for use of a functional property. But Florida so :shrug:

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Outrail posted:

In a sane place I'd assume they either let you break it or they're on the hook for providing you similar accommodations as you signed an agreement for use of a functional property. But Florida so :shrug:

Good News!

quote:

Your rental unit must be habitable, safe, and cannot violate Florida health and safety codes. Your landlord is responsible for keeping your unit in good repair, providing water, power, and heat. As a tenant, you must notify the landlord, in writing, of the safety or health violation and give sufficient time to correct the problem.

https://donotpay.com/learn/breaking-a-lease-in-florida/

Actually, don't read anything I just posted an ask a lawyer instead.

fuckingtest fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 30, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://twitter.com/FearTheFloof/status/1575585500642959360

Jesus christ these people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not saying that's the cat from the earlier video, but it's not the cat from that earlier adoption photo either. Look at the front left paws, they don't match.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I imagine a couple million landlords are in the poo poo right now. gently caress em.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Not saying that's the cat from the earlier video, but it's not the cat from that earlier adoption photo either. Look at the front left paws, they don't match.

The do, it's color correction from a shadow. You can see the shadow on her sweater goes away where it looks like the left front paw gets lighter on the top, but it aligns completely with the tone change on her sweater. However, the right paw is not in any shadow and you can see how it gets lighter on the top, even though the paw is mostly tilted towards the camera because there are no other color/tone changes around the area of the paw.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Outrail posted:

I imagine a couple million landlords are in the poo poo right now. gently caress em.

Actually found this interesting tidbit in this article:

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/2013/05/29/after-storm-qa-for-renters/

quote:

Q: If I want to keep on renting my home, but can't live in it now, do I have to pay rent?

A: According to the Florida Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. Chapter 73 - 330, if you are renting a residence that is damaged by a hurricane, you have special rights and responsibilities. Repairs are the responsibility of the landlord. You should immediately notify the landlord of any damage to the property and you should make reasonable efforts to help protect it from any additional damage. The landlord is responsible for having the residence repaired and returned to livable condition. If repairs are not made within a reasonable time, the tenant has the right to have the rent reduced or in some instances terminate the lease and move.

and:

quote:

Q: Can't the landlord end the rental agreement because I don't pay rent?

A: No. If your home is uninhabitable or deemed an "unsafe structure" your unit has no rental value. You have no duty to pay even though your rental period is running.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

schmug posted:

Tree. Laws.

*rhythmically slams fists on the table*

tree laws tree laws TREE LAWS TREE LAWS

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

These are not the same cats

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just how many cats exactly are in on this scam???

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

HonorableTB posted:

These are not the same cats

Also, in the pic of that cat in the studio, you can see the corner of the brown-sludge flooded floor reflecting the corner of the cubicle.

So they either left in the middle of the storm to find a wet, scared, grey kitten similar to the one that swam away, or its the same goddamn cat.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fuckingtest posted:

Also, in the pic of that cat in the studio, you can see the corner of the brown-sludge flooded floor reflecting the corner of the cubicle.

So they either left in the middle of the storm to find a wet, scared, grey kitten similar to the one that swam away, or its the same goddamn cat.

Then why make up a series of lies about the doors being locked and that the cat swam away? Also that is a very clean and dry cat after swimming away in flood water. Also delete the tweet when they had a wonderful feel good outcome to the story made for local news.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m choosing to believe the kitty was saved, and that’s where I’m ending my reading on the subject :colbert:

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Three Olives posted:

Then why make up a series of lies about the doors being locked and that the cat swam away? Also that is a very clean and dry cat after swimming away in flood water. Also delete the tweet when they had a wonderful feel good outcome to the story made for local news.

The whole studio is down dude. As in, no power, no lights, camera, action.

I'm sure we'll get an old fashioned report about how well the cat is after you know, the death toll of the CAT 4 Hurricane that just devastated a popular tourist spot in Florida is known or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There's at least a dozen people dead right now.

So far.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/skylerswisher/status/1575589693713895424?s=46&t=v7joN2LPRoDrcGtGGzfQTg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Obviously, that's the gator alarm. To let you know the gators are loose.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Obviously, that's the gator alarm. To let you know the gators are loose.

To paraphrase: "Best to assume every body of water in Florida contains an alligator. Every lake, pond, swimming pool, birdbath, there's one in there."

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think it was before Irma 5 years ago (?), a shitton of power line workers from other states were sent to prep for the recovery after the storm.. did that not happen this time? Maybe it's just cuz I'm not getting as much news this time but I just don't see them working as fast this time. All I can really judge from is the slow updates on the OUC outage map.. but we didn't have all this flooding then either. I just wish I knew what was going on.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Sweet Bubblegum Christ!

Another view of the Lani Kai in Ft. Myers showing just how high the water got. Cam-9 never had a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

fuckingtest fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 30, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

To paraphrase: "Best to assume every body of water in Florida contains an alligator. Every lake, pond, swimming pool, birdbath, there's one in there."

So what you're saying is, they need to start blaring the Gator Alarm from every speaker in Florida 24/7?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There's at least a dozen people dead right now.

So far.

That’s bad but it could be a lot worse.

Like all of the people currently stranded away from civilization without power and dwindling food could not be rescued.

I’m sure Ron has every organization ready for that though.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jesus. Watching the videos of ocean waves at roof tops…

Ok goons where do I donate?

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

I think it was before Irma 5 years ago (?), a shitton of power line workers from other states were sent to prep for the recovery after the storm.. did that not happen this time? Maybe it's just cuz I'm not getting as much news this time but I just don't see them working as fast this time. All I can really judge from is the slow updates on the OUC outage map.. but we didn't have all this flooding then either. I just wish I knew what was going on.

They're working on it, but the storm just ended really, it'll take some time. Here's a pic of the staged trucks.

https://www.wdrb.com/florida---utility-trucks-staging-for-hurricane-ian---ap-9-28-2022/image_2cc16696-3f50-11ed-9b9d-5f3d45bd8dd9.html

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Indecisive posted:

I think it was before Irma 5 years ago (?), a shitton of power line workers from other states were sent to prep for the recovery after the storm.. did that not happen this time?

it did, this pic is from before the storm
https://twitter.com/CelineYe520/status/1575683106668916736

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
As an aside, I was watching that vid along with many others and noticed the door that swings open appears to have a person inside the building at 00:05 seconds.

I wanted to make sure so I screengrabbed and highlighted the person: https://imgur.com/gallery/lSuXRYE

The craziest part is, even the guy who filmed it has no idea what happened to that person.

Max Olson's Chasing posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn’t even notice that until now. I just used that clip to show the car drive by for reference… oh my god. My stomach is churning just thinking about it. I pray they left…

Upon review someone is in the house towards the beginning of the video but it looks like there is a possibility they left out of the back door at some point. It's blurry so it's hard to confirm but praying that is the case.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Indecisive posted:

I was driving I-75 in Georgia this afternoon. There were a ton of power trucks and Servpro trucks headed south. I saw some flatbeds likely taking heavy machinery down as well. I also saw a handful of power trucks headed north. I guess maybe they'd done their shift and were headed out of there. There were Colorado tags on all of those.

The power outages are insane. I have relatives in Seminole County and was looking up their address to see if they had power yet. Duke Energy by itself is showing 550,000 homes without power right now, 300K in the Orlando area. I do understand the frustration. I used to live in a very rural area, far enough inland in Georgia to not get a direct shot, but enough to knock trees down. 2004 was a hell year for that. Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne all did some damage and at least two of these knocked off the power locally for three days each.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
What if they parked that fleet in the wrong spot and the storm plowed right into it?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There are so many pictures of Ft Myers but almost none of Cape Coral. Is it inaccessible because of flooding?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

fuckingtest posted:

As an aside, I was watching that vid along with many others and noticed the door that swings open appears to have a person inside the building at 00:05 seconds.

I wanted to make sure so I screengrabbed and highlighted the person: https://imgur.com/gallery/lSuXRYE

The craziest part is, even the guy who filmed it has no idea what happened to that person.

Saw that, too. No idea how someone is supposed to survive a house being submerged and broken up, but someone in the comments mentioned that their family was looking for them and found them alive.
Though with zero verification. We may never know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zugzwang posted:

What if they parked that fleet in the wrong spot and the storm plowed right into it?

Might be up in Alabama or someplace protected from the wrath of the doom sharpie.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

fuckingtest posted:

:stare:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

everyone who wants their face on tv is a sociopath

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stay safe, house-boat ghost

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes

The X-man cometh posted:

There are so many pictures of Ft Myers but almost none of Cape Coral. Is it inaccessible because of flooding?

I went through the storm in Cape Coral like 2 miles from the hospital. Flooding wasn't awful and I was able to drive from there to the lower section of Fort Myers without going though big puddles (I did lose a tire to poo poo on the ground though). There was a boat on the bridge from Cape to Fort Myers on 41, so either Surge or a ton of flooding that receded throughout the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

The X-man cometh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFs61tfz9IE