Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scout got her OFA x rays done today at a mobile x ray clinic and dang you can really see how beef those gams are in x ray. We have to wait for official grading but the vet who did it, and only does OFA x rays all day every day, said he'd be surprised if they didn't come back excellent. I'm so relieved! She's so hard on her body I was half convinced my results would just come back as a sad face emoji.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Scout got her OFA x rays done today at a mobile x ray clinic and dang you can really see how beef those gams are in x ray. We have to wait for official grading but the vet who did it, and only does OFA x rays all day every day, said he'd be surprised if they didn't come back excellent. I'm so relieved! She's so hard on her body I was half convinced my results would just come back as a sad face emoji.

look at those thighs! what a dog.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris can jump and climb like a leopard. i often just find her chilling in a tree or on the dining table, looking tall and serene like it's a perfectly normal place for a dog to be. dingoes!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

an egg posted:

iris can jump and climb like a leopard. i often just find her chilling in a tree or on the dining table, looking tall and serene like it's a perfectly normal place for a dog to be. dingoes!

There's no stopping those dang dingos. She's only like 18.5" tall!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I had a friend and my dad over for the football game and Brisket was ok for a while but then as food ran out he reverted to his barkey ways.
I handed my friend some treats to give him, and instead of giving him them one at a time he handed him the whole handful. They were training treats so it was ok, even though he shouldn't have had so many at once. When my dad came over Brisket was excited, but after some initial barking and saying hello he was fine. But he's not good with strangers. He liks to follow the the whole time and just bark at them. I've mentioned this before, but this time the stranger had food for him. Which worked. Brisket was taking treats. Doing his best begging (Sitting, staring. He knows making noises is not how scraps end up in his bowl) and this lasted until the food ran out, and then he started a little growling at my friend, followed by barking, and efforts to distract him were temporary so he got banished upstairs for about a quarter and a half where he barked nearly the whole time. (When he stopped and people were leaving I let him come back he barked at them until they left)
Basically I made a model of how well he behaved based on available treatos. I suspect it's logarithmic vs linear but more testing will have to be done.
code:
How Well Brisket is Behaved with Strangers:
  Absolute|                      X
Perfection|                   X  X
          |                X  X  X
      Good|             X  X  X  X
          |          X  X  X  X  X
       Meh|       X  X  X  X  X  X
          |    X  X  X  X  X  X  X 
       Bad| X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

blep

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

I had a friend and my dad over for the football game and Brisket was ok for a while but then as food ran out he reverted to his barkey ways.
I handed my friend some treats to give him, and instead of giving him them one at a time he handed him the whole handful. They were training treats so it was ok, even though he shouldn't have had so many at once. When my dad came over Brisket was excited, but after some initial barking and saying hello he was fine. But he's not good with strangers. He liks to follow the the whole time and just bark at them. I've mentioned this before, but this time the stranger had food for him. Which worked. Brisket was taking treats. Doing his best begging (Sitting, staring. He knows making noises is not how scraps end up in his bowl) and this lasted until the food ran out, and then he started a little growling at my friend, followed by barking, and efforts to distract him were temporary so he got banished upstairs for about a quarter and a half where he barked nearly the whole time. (When he stopped and people were leaving I let him come back he barked at them until they left)
Basically I made a model of how well he behaved based on available treatos. I suspect it's logarithmic vs linear but more testing will have to be done.

Brisket remains hyper food-motivted.

Treats can override how dogs feel about situations and sometimes can even end up with them being in a bad place when treats run out. Would you cross a high tightrope? How about if someone offered you $1000? You might do it but still end up feeling bad and scared about the situation. I'm not saying you're doing something wrong but it might be more effective if you modified it a little. What might be more effective is to have Brisket behind a gate so he can't follow around the person or get too close then toss treats past him occaisonally. That way he gets the treat and the release of moving away from the person he finds scary so double reward. It's called Treat and Retreat.
https://www.diamondsintheruff.com/treat-retreat

You may just have to have people who you trust to follow directions over for a short time specifically to practice because it's hard to train and enjoy yourself at the same time. You can also find a really great, long lasting chew specifically for when you have guests over. My oldest dog is not safe with visitors but he learned to automatically put himself in my back room when he heard a door knock because I'd pull out a bully stick or whole frozen turkey leg or a special frozen kong or something equally amazing whenever anyone came over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Treats can override how dogs feel about situations and sometimes can even end up with them being in a bad place when treats run out. Would you cross a high tightrope? How about if someone offered you $1000? You might do it but still end up feeling bad and scared about the situation. I'm not saying you're doing something wrong but it might be more effective if you modified it a little. What might be more effective is to have Brisket behind a gate so he can't follow around the person or get too close then toss treats past him occaisonally. That way he gets the treat and the release of moving away from the person he finds scary so double reward. It's called Treat and Retreat.
https://www.diamondsintheruff.com/treat-retreat

You may just have to have people who you trust to follow directions over for a short time specifically to practice because it's hard to train and enjoy yourself at the same time. You can also find a really great, long lasting chew specifically for when you have guests over. My oldest dog is not safe with visitors but he learned to automatically put himself in my back room when he heard a door knock because I'd pull out a bully stick or whole frozen turkey leg or a special frozen kong or something equally amazing whenever anyone came over.

I'll try that.

He's weird about long chews though, he spends like 10 minutes whining when he gets one and runs around from his His Spot to His Other Spots until he finally feels ready to eat it. I think it's too hard to just bite into, and he's worried we, my wife and I, will take it back if he doesn't eat it right now and it's not soft enough yet. (even though we never do! Buddy! We gave it to you! It's yours! Go ahead!)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

There's no stopping those dang dingos. She's only like 18.5" tall!

Jarvis is a 42lb mini bernedoodle and when he gets excited he can pop straight up in the air with a solid 18" of clearance (I'm 6'5 and he could nip my chin doing it), more if he pulled his hind legs up. The springs on some doggos is impressive.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AlexDeGruven posted:

Jarvis is a 42lb mini bernedoodle and when he gets excited he can pop straight up in the air with a solid 18" of clearance (I'm 6'5 and he could nip my chin doing it), more if he pulled his hind legs up. The springs on some doggos is impressive.

Brisket is the same. 'Dem thick berner thighs on tht tiny mini poodle frame. Our old bed was 3 feet off the ground and when teching him to use a ramp he hated it so much he let us know he actually could just jump onto it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova has a big ol’ bulldog build and is not athletic at all. She has to be convinced she can jump up on the bed (and she’s 70lbs, so not a small dog) But when she sees another dog she wants to play with she literally does lamb leaps from a standstill with at least a 12” vertical clearance.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hi, my 10(ish) year old dog has recently become a lot more aggressive about guarding his food. It got to the point where I couldn't have a cat in the room at all if his food bowl had anything in it, because if the cat walked anywhere nearby (not even to take food, just walking by to get to her shelf) he'd growl at her. A few minutes ago he displayed the same behavior with his water bowl which he'd never done before, and even tried to nip at the cat. Does anyone have any idea what can cause this to develop in an older dog?

Edit: My dog used to be a street dog, we adopted him about 9 years ago. He was super chill about food and water until maybe two or three weeks ago.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's an odd thing to develop this late. Did anything happen around the time it started? Did the cat maybe get into the dog's food or water, maybe when you weren't around?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The cat is totally uninterested in the dogs food. She has drank from his water bowl many times, without him caring at all. When he just snapped at her, she wasn't even going for the water. She was going to where she likes to jump up on a shelf, which just happens to take her within about 18 inches of the water bowl. So I guess one thing I could do is to just move the food and water bowls so my cat can get to her shelf without going near the dog's resources.

He got an arthritis diagnosis about a year ago, and that has started to get worse right around the time the resource guarding started, or shortly beforehand. I didn't really think about them as possibly related until just now. I did some googling and I read older dogs can sometimes be more aggressive because they're cranky because their bones hurt :same: so I guess that could be related.

I think either way a vet visit is in order. I always have trouble communicating with the vet because I'm a gringo who lives in Latin America and I've got lovely Spanish skills. Oh well, I'll try and if I can't seem to explain it I'll have my receptionist come with me to the vet one day lol.

I just read online that freefeeding can make this worse. All of my animals have always free fed, and I assumed that's why the dog was always so chill about food until recently. Like if I fill my dog's bowl, he'll eat what he feels like and then walk away, then go back later if he gets hungry again. He's not overweight or anything. If this makes the problem go away, I'd be happy to go to a measured meal time system for the dog. But I would feel weird not giving him free access to water at all times.

Edit: Here's a picture of the offender when he was much younger.

Edit2: A picture of the victim, behind spoiler tags because cat in a dog thread.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 30, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dog got way more chill about a lot of things once we started treating her arthritis. She even started cuddling up with my other dog on cold nights, a completely new behaviour.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's very interesting. What are you doing for treating the arthritis? I suppose I'll ask my vet what she recommends for that but I'd be happy to hear what the treatment options are. For my own bone pains I always figured it was like that old Louis CK routine about just being worn out and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I can't imagine not having water available. I free feed most of my dogs if they can handle it and most of them can (chop chop can't yet lol)

From what you describe it certainly seems like the aging pains and arthritis are the culprit. The vet will probably be able to confirm/deny and give you good information.

Hope your doggo feels better soon ♥️

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's very interesting. What are you doing for treating the arthritis? I suppose I'll ask my vet what she recommends for that but I'd be happy to hear what the treatment options are. For my own bone pains I always figured it was like that old Louis CK routine about just being worn out and there's nothing that can be done about it.

I can't remember what her medication is called, I'll check when I get home. But it's a daily pill. Could go up to twice daily if she gets stiffer but daily seems like enough for now. She's able to jump on my bed and go prancing across fields again. Real nice to see!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Monthly Librela injections have made a big difference for my 13 year old dog, along with a varying amount of Rheumocam (meloxicam) once a day.

We had managed to reduce her meloxicam dose down to a very low amount once she had a couple Librela injections, though we couldn't quite wean her off it entirely without some of the stiffness coming back. She recently reinjured the knee she had cruciate surgery on and is back to a full daily dose until that settles.

She's an extremely active collie and the arthritis in her knee had been taking a toll on her quality of life as she doesn't really understand "taking it easy". I am impressed by how much Librela helps while not being as taxing on aging kidneys/liver as a daily anti-inflammatory.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I moved the water bowl, the cat immediately went over to it to investigate since it's in a new spot, and the dog did not care at all. Hopefully guarding the water bowl last night was totally aberrational and not something that will continue.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm still pretty new to the whole dog park thing. We let our 20 lb dog Gavin in the big dog side because there was no one in the small dog side and he's played fine there before. But this time a few big dogs ganged up on him at once in a way that got him in defensive mode (tail down, ears back, not his normal play submissiveness) so I picked him up to give it a break.

Most of the big dog owners that were surrounding him were immediately apologetic and controlled their's (and I know that sort of thing is a risk with the dog park so its fine nothing against them) but one ~80 lb dog owner wasn't paying attention and while I was holding Gavin this dog started jumping up to keep trying to nip at him. Wouldn't stop just jumping up again and again and again. I was scared a bit myself.

Finally the owner noticed and started apologizing but had no ability to control their dog for a bit, she said "I'm sorry!" again and I responded "You should be!" and finally managed to get out of that side.

Was I too harsh? I'm really annoyed by people with big breeds that have no control over their dogs and would rather stare at their phone than pay attention.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I would never put a 20 lber in a busy large dog park. Really yours should have gone submissive instead of fight by your telling, but poo poo, a real large dog that's out of control results in small dogs and people getting broken bones by pure accident.

Some dogs are poorly trained and socialized such that they'll go from 0 to bite too, for having their rear end sniffed.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think you're fine there. It's why I always stick to the small dog side :/

Seems like every playground gets its bully.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah usually he does just go submissive if there's too big a dog interested and then he chases them too, this is the first time he felt defensive.

I'm not going to let him over there again with unknown big dogs. That was my bad I acknowledge it. A lot of times the "large dog park" is all 30-40 pounders that I don't really have as many worries about. But I need to be more choosy about when I let him over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Everything said so far is true but the 80lb dog owner really should be better at socializing and controlling their dog, too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Chin Strap posted:

Was I too harsh? I'm really annoyed by people with big breeds that have no control over their dogs and would rather stare at their phone than pay attention.

Not really. Your 20lb dog probably shouldn't be in the big dog area ever, simply because some big dogs just don't know how to play more gently with smaller friends.

But gently caress anyone who takes their dog to a crowded dog park and doesn't keep a constant eye on their animal. You don't have to follow three feet behind them everywhere, but you should be ready to run in if there's a problem, and ideally they should have a decent level of recall or at least a "back off" command.

Kepler doesn't have any recall when he's around other dogs, and that's why I don't take him to public off-leash play areas.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dog parks are often thunderdomes where poorly behaved dogs run rampant so it’s really on you to keep your dog as safe as possible if you choose to use one. Too many folks think letting their dogs run amok counts as socialization. You weren’t wrong for yelling at them but also that’s not going to be the last time you have a bad dog encounter at a dog park.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all. Like I said this is new for us, our last dog was a chihuahua that basically never wanted to be around other dogs so dog park was only something we did when it was empty.

Stick to the small dog side it is. Wouldn't want him to get hurt.

Dog tax:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Diet tips for new puppy owners

https://twitter.com/imathrowawaylol/status/1576184596647251968

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dog is coming back from raising her puppies in a couple days! Apparently she was a good mum except she's started getting bored of them in the last week because they won't play with her like she wants lol. She's still not even two years old yet so no wonder she just sees them as potential playmates. Sounds like she's back to her old tricks though, the nursery staff asked me if she always pounces like a fox on her favourite toys and yep, that's one of her cutest habits.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

an egg fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 7, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
sup dawg

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

that's what i wake up to every morning at ~7am. right in my face. snuffling

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
awww

that right there, at first ya love it
then ya hate it
then ya love it
then ya miss it

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My dog won't stop barking :smith:

I've spent the last six months working through every webinar, every tutorial, every guide I can find on how to get him to ease up even a little, to no effect. He goes on regular walks every day, he has access to toys and plays with us regularly, we have two cats in the house that play with him somewhat, he's well socialized, but the second he goes into the yard he just starts barking and running and barking and running. It's not even like he's hard to train - any other command I've worked on, he's got it down by the second session. He just barks. And barks. It's genuinely like the second he goes outside, he has no ability to self regulate once he gets into the back yard.

This morning, my neighbor came out and told me we need to do something, because the main zone he barks is basically right at their bedroom window. If my neighbor had been pissed, I'd feel kind of self righteous or something and push back, but he just sounded tired, and the dude's been a really nice and patient neighbor so far. I feel miserable about this, I don't know what to do, because I'm not buying a loving shock collar, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not bad with dogs, I've had them my whole life and had no issues like this before. I swear, I'm going to have to talk to my vet about prescribing some kind of anti anxiety medication or SOMETHING.

My dog's a mutt, an unholy stubborn blend of a chihuahua, jack russell, pomeranian, miniature pinscher, and yorkie, so he's... high energy. And stubborn. And stubborn. I'm at my wit's end, I swear.

e: Happy guy tax, when he's not screaming at the sky

Wungus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 3, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Is he only barking when he's out in the yard? Does he spend a lot of time in the yard alone/have free access to the yard or do you just take him out to potty?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wungus posted:

My dog won't stop barking :smith:

I've spent the last six months working through every webinar, every tutorial, every guide I can find on how to get him to ease up even a little, to no effect. He goes on regular walks every day, he has access to toys and plays with us regularly, we have two cats in the house that play with him somewhat, he's well socialized, but the second he goes into the yard he just starts barking and running and barking and running. It's not even like he's hard to train - any other command I've worked on, he's got it down by the second session. He just barks. And barks. It's genuinely like the second he goes outside, he has no ability to self regulate once he gets into the back yard.

This morning, my neighbor came out and told me we need to do something, because the main zone he barks is basically right at their bedroom window. If my neighbor had been pissed, I'd feel kind of self righteous or something and push back, but he just sounded tired, and the dude's been a really nice and patient neighbor so far. I feel miserable about this, I don't know what to do, because I'm not buying a loving shock collar, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not bad with dogs, I've had them my whole life and had no issues like this before. I swear, I'm going to have to talk to my vet about prescribing some kind of anti anxiety medication or SOMETHING.

My dog's a mutt, an unholy stubborn blend of a chihuahua, jack russell, pomeranian, miniature pinscher, and yorkie, so he's... high energy. And stubborn. And stubborn. I'm at my wit's end, I swear.

e: Happy guy tax, when he's not screaming at the sky

They make collars that have sound or vibrate function without a shock. We use them with our dog who’s an outside barker (we tried EVERYTHING else including extensive work with a trainer but hounds are gonna hound) and just putting the collar on her is usually enough. The sound isn’t loud and the vibration function is the same power as a cell phone. Pair it with “no” or whatever verbal cue you use.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Is he only barking when he's out in the yard? Does he spend a lot of time in the yard alone/have free access to the yard or do you just take him out to potty?
Not a lot of free time out there. Generally when he needs to potty or when we want to play with him. He can sometimes behave, but the second he decides there's something that needs him to make sound, he'll be set off (like a squirrel, or the neighbor going to his car, or the fact that the trees haven't seen him in a few hours, or my shadow). When we can, if he does that it's immediate "go back inside" time--until I have a better solution, he's not going into the yard without a leash, because he's at least a little better behaved on a leash than off. There's definitely been times that he has been let out there without supervision, but he hasn't had one of them for at least three months, and he's only a year old now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They make collars that have sound or vibrate function without a shock. We use them with our dog who’s an outside barker (we tried EVERYTHING else including extensive work with a trainer but hounds are gonna hound) and just putting the collar on her is usually enough. The sound isn’t loud and the vibration function is the same power as a cell phone. Pair it with “no” or whatever verbal cue you use.
Oh, huh. I didn't know there was nonaggressive options like that. I'm intrigued. Is this something I should talk to a vet about, or are they fairly commonplace to find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wungus posted:

Oh, huh. I didn't know there was nonaggressive options like that. I'm intrigued. Is this something I should talk to a vet about, or are they fairly commonplace to find?

Doesn’t hurt to discuss with your vet of course but they’re readily available online. Search for “no shock correction collars”.