Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yes.

Legends of Mana is also available on Switch.

thanks for all of the answers.

so...why wasn't the secret of mana remake ported to the switch? seems odd, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

abelwingnut posted:

i remember hearing that it wasn't very good

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Having actually bought and played the game on PC, it's IMO a better way to play Secret of Mana in 2022 than the SNES original. I liked the skits between the three protagonists, even though I wish they did something more like Tales games where they played after the relevant plot events rather than only playing at inn stays; you end up fairly behind on them even if you rest regularly. I think people were down on it because it didn't really do anything differently from the original version, and also there was a memory leak or something that came into play during long grinding/farming sessions for the last weapon orbs in the Mana Fortress. The only real problem for me was that for some reason Steam Cloud saves didn't work with it. Honestly, I think that the main problem was that people were playing a game that didn't really hold up as well as their rose-tinted memories told them it did.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

abelwingnut posted:

The remake just seemed very low budget and it was a faithful remake to its detriment.

The big change was the new soundtrack that everybody hated. The remake didn’t really appeal to anyone and Square-Enix figured it wasn’t worth the effort to port it over. More people probably bought the Mana collection than would ever buy the PS4 port.

The Trials of Mana remake is fantastic. Square actually seemed to learn something from the failure of the SoM remake.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Palmtree Panic posted:

The remake just seemed very low budget and it was a faithful remake to its detriment.

The big change was the new soundtrack that everybody hated. The remake didn’t really appeal to anyone and Square-Enix figured it wasn’t worth the effort to port it over. More people probably bought the Mana collection than would ever buy the PS4 port.

The Trials of Mana remake is fantastic. Square actually seemed to learn something from the failure of the SoM remake.

I wish they re-did SOM remake in the Trials of Mana remake style.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

abelwingnut posted:

Why haven't the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters been ported? Who knows!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This one actually annoys me. I would buy them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly, I think that the main problem was that people were playing a game that didn't really hold up as well as their rose-tinted memories told them it did.
I played through the entire Collection as well as the Trials remake a couple of years ago and I thought Secret held up the least. It's graphically impressive, has a great soundtrack, and the co-op was certainly novel. But the combat is janky, magic leveling is annoying, and the second half of the game was clearly unfinished.

If they were to properly remake it, would they actually finish the game? That would be pretty awesome but would take a good bit of work.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The only place that sucks worse than nintendo for keeping their backlog current is square enix

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

nin... square enix

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I played through the entire Collection as well as the Trials remake a couple of years ago and I thought Secret held up the least. It's graphically impressive, has a great soundtrack, and the co-op was certainly novel. But the combat is janky, magic leveling is annoying, and the second half of the game was clearly unfinished.

If they were to properly remake it, would they actually finish the game? That would be pretty awesome but would take a good bit of work.
Yeah I played through the Collection when it came out and I enjoyed all three games, but there was definitely some nostalgia at play with Secret at least in my case. I still had fun, but it wasn't as good of a game as I remember it being back in the day (TBF at the time I had two brothers to play the game with, and nowadays one's a dad and the other's gone blind).

I wouldn't expect any more attempts at remakes for Secret out of Square, they already tried one and it didn't go well. Even if they did try a Trials-style remake for the game I doubt they'd try to dig up the notes for this 29-year-old game and actually finish it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

CHRONO

TRIGGER

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Square Enix is simultaneously obsessed with and allergic to making money

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Square Enix was able to have PS4 game Nier Automata ported to the Switch but somehow the PS3 remasters of KH 1 and 2 were just too much. A baffling corporation

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's a lot more forgivable in morrowind since 99% of dialogue is text anyway

if you're gonna voice every single line though that is inexcusable

Oblivion came out in very early 2005 tho. It was a “before time” game. I think it’s forgivable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
S-E are just strangely inconsistent when it comes to ports, you have a mix of total disasters, excellent remaster, total remakes, and weird choices of which games don't get ported

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
People give a lot of poo poo to Bethesda games. A lot of it justified. But Fallout New Vegas is regarded as a “All time great” now. Like one of the greatest games ever made. If not the greatest. Still relevant today. More memes than you can watch before you die. People associate it with changing their drat gender even. And it’s formula is, undeniably, a Bethesda game framework + top tier writing and world designing.

Edit: Are Bethesda games near the same quality in writing and world design? Aside from arguably Morrowind, no. Hell no. But there is something special about that framework that is nearly exclusive to Bethesda games that is special, that I miss now that it’s been eight years since the last one.

And Starfield looks so loving bad fuuuuuck. FUUUUCK. WHY DID YOU JUST MAKE NO MAN’S SKY? WE HAVE THAT GAME ALREADY AND IT SUCKS.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hatty posted:

Square Enix was able to have PS4 game Nier Automata ported to the Switch but somehow the PS3 remasters of KH 1 and 2 were just too much. A baffling corporation

Think about it this way. Each Kingdom Hearts game has what? 10? Maybe 50 Disney WORLDS in them. Nier has Detroit. Not even an entire globe. The math checks out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

After playing these levels for a while... eh, still validates why I don't like most user created levels.

The levels are not designed to kill you, but they offer no challenge either. It's missing the Mario formula of introducing a mechanic/obstacle, and then progressively making it harder over the level to give you some sort of challenge at the end, and then you're done with it.

Many of the levels are the same level of challenge the whole way through, with some of them going on way too long. A lot of unnecessary coin boxes, enemies you can easily just skip over, and a lot of back tracking with a key elements. I know you can't do secret exits in these games, but a lot of secret areas in the levels just lead to coins.

I appreciate the level of detail that went into making it over 7 years, but misses the mark for me in what makes a Mario game a Mario game.

Have to agree with this. I saw chatter about it and thought "Oh I should try that" then forgot until I saw your post, saw this one and still gave it a try.

The first world is really, really bland. The levels are competent, but don't feel like Mario. I might give it another shot this weekend but it's a let down.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

I will never get over this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

leftist heap posted:

Square Enix is simultaneously obsessed with and allergic to making money

I'm genuinely impressed at how consistently they ignore the free money of the nostalgia market by outsourcing the lowest quality port jobs possible, and also how little of a poo poo they care about any Enix IP that isn't fuckin' Dragon Quest.

You know how EA bought the rights to nfl and espn and doesn't use the latter at all?
That's Square with DQ and the rest of Enix, respectively.

Bought them just to get rid of competition.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 30, 2022

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Square Enix is the ceo with a findom fetish

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

Dropsy is out now in all regions along with new areas and NPCs! :0)

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/dropsy-switch/

Thanks y'all! :kiddo:

No sign of it in the EU store yet, but I'm keeping a watch for it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bug Squash posted:

No sign of it in the EU store yet, but I'm keeping a watch for it.

I checked with Devolver and they said it's live in the store on the switch itself but not on the website. Do you think you could check for me? If not that's pretty concerning! :S

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Automata 10 Pack posted:

WHY DID YOU JUST MAKE NO MAN’S SKY? WE HAVE THAT GAME ALREADY AND IT SUCKS.

Counterpoint: it's beautiful and practically therapeutic, and I love my bases and freighter :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

And Starfield looks so loving bad fuuuuuck. FUUUUCK. WHY DID YOU JUST MAKE NO MAN’S SKY? WE HAVE THAT GAME ALREADY AND IT SUCKS.

that reveal video a few months ago was so funny. game looks rear end

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

I checked with Devolver and they said it's live in the store on the switch itself but not on the website. Do you think you could check for me? If not that's pretty concerning! :S

It's live in the Switch, just like they said. Didn't even occur to me it could be one but not the other.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm genuinely impressed at how consistently they ignore the free money of the nostalgia market by outsourcing the lowest quality port jobs possible, and also how little of a poo poo they care about any Enix IP that isn't fuckin' Dragon Quest.

You know how EA bought the rights to nfl and espn and doesn't use the latter at all?

Well it was Enix buying out an almost bankrupt Square lol

The reason they don't do much with the Enix properties other than DQ is that none of them were particularly popular.

But hey we just got a new Valkyrie Profile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

There is literally a new Star Ocean coming out this year. They did a remake of Actraiser not long ago. Valkyrie Profile has a new game this week.

WTF are you talking about? I'm not sure what popular Enix IPs you are thinking of besides the Soulblazer games and those are in a weird rights place.

Edit: Looking over their actual releases...

Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre - Getting a remake this year
Star Ocean - New Game this year
Actraiser- Remake last year
Dragon Quest- lol
The Quintet Games - Weird Licensing Place
Valkyrie Profile: Valkyrie Elysium comes out this week, with the Lenneth port later this year.

Unless you're a huge fan of obscure Japanese-only one offs or Eggs of Steel: Charlie's Eggcellent Adventure, Enix's actual stuff is being milked plenty. They've even been putting out new Itadaki Street games!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 30, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
WHERE THE gently caress ARE MY ROBOTREK AND BRAINLORD REMAKES SQUARE ENIX???

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
20 years ago everyone complained that Nintendo wasn't getting any of the new Final Fantasy games, & now all we want are ports of the old Final Fantasy games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally a new Star Ocean coming out this year. They did a remake of Actraiser not long ago. Valkyrie Profile has a new game this week.

WTF are you talking about? I'm not sure what popular Enix IPs you are thinking of besides the Soulblazer games and those are in a weird rights place.

Edit: Looking over their actual releases...

Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre - Getting a remake this year
Star Ocean - New Game this year
Actraiser- Remake last year
Dragon Quest- lol
The Quintet Games - Weird Licensing Place
Valkyrie Profile: Valkyrie Elysium comes out this week, with the Lenneth port later this year.

Unless you're a huge fan of obscure Japanese-only one offs or Eggs of Steel: Charlie's Eggcellent Adventure, Enix's actual stuff is being milked plenty. They've even been putting out new Itadaki Street games!

No illusion of Gaia, evo: search for eden, terranigma, soul blazer, Mystic ark, 7th Saga, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, Dark Half... Etc. Etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Since we're talking about games that will never see the light of day again thanks to rights, I'm waiting for Lufia II.

Too bad Taito squats on the right like a 10-ton ogre, :lol:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Libluini posted:

Since we're talking about games that will never see the light of day again thanks to rights, I'm waiting for Lufia II.

I can't stand his thalidomide baby flipper arms when magnus walks :-s

Lunar could use a digital re release too, it's just been sitting on the Apple store for forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mister Facetious posted:

No illusion of Gaia, evo: search for eden, terranigma, soul blazer, Mystic ark, 7th Saga, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, Dark Half... Etc. Etc.

why

Libluini posted:

Guess who owns Taito currently

Square Enix

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One day I will destroy Konami and free Bomberman and Bonk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

To be clear here you are wondering why Square Enix isn't milking the nostalgia for a failed 1990s television show tie in they don't have the rights to

Aside from the Quintet games (which again licensing hell) the rest of those are the definition of obscure games which have almost no nostalgia.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that would be such a weird choice that I think square enix will port it now

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Libluini posted:

Square owns Taito and remade Lufia 2 for the...Ds? 3DS? a while back but made it weird and gave Maxim a leather jacket.

I'd just take a digital rerelease of the og Lufia 2.

Mister Facetious posted:

Lunar could use a digital re release too, it's just been sitting on the Apple store for forever.

Would be great to get Lunar 1 and 2 yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Why is Quintet a rights nightmare? Because who actually owns Quintet?