Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

To be honest, around Near Light I would say the tone changes considerably because you start actually interacting with the Big Cheeses of the various countries, and like improving things somewhat. So, like, Chapter 8 literally ends with "and then the governments proposed a bill to make it so this could never happen again, but after a bunch of partisan arguing it died on the floor and was eventually shredded in some office years after being forgotten." Like, that is the tone, it is extremely bleak on a societal level. Whereas the later stuff is just as brutal on the ground level, but much more optimistic about the future. Heck, the pope just gave a speech and started the League of Nations. Things are moving forward, which I feel would have been unthinkable in earlier chapters.

This is comparing Chapter 8 to later events though, not Chapter 1 to Chapter 8. And I can't really judge the new main arc because we don't know how it ends yet.

Yeah, I generally prefer the sort of stuff where there's some hope going forwards. I still generally liked the latter chapters of the first main arc because there was still some sense of moving forwards, and also I'm a freak who actually does kinda like a bit of philosophical monologuing, but I just don't agree with people who say that the tone has to stay as a pervasive trapped-face-down-in-the-mud bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter 8 of Arknights is extremely good and when the anime gets to it in season 3 or so I will watch it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lol chapter 9 is the loving troubles it isn't getting less bleak.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chapter 8 is the same story as the start just with context! Horrible horrible context! The entire game is about making cancerous cat girls cry and then going to hang out at the beach.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1575848357217521666

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it looks cool but is still distinctly the inferior bocchi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I dont give a poo poo.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another trailer for Urusai Yasura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unlvnzHlBbk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013691

New MHA season, new thread

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season (My Hero Academia Season 6)
Bones | Kenji Nagasaki | Yousuke Kuroda | Action | Manga | Oct 1, 2022
Sixth season of Boku no Hero Academia.
PV
Thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hitoribocchi ftw

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Once again I live in a bizarro world where very little this season appeals to me at all. Mainly because it's all sequels to stuff I never watched.

Spy Family's on the list, I hope it can go somewhere a little more interesting than the first half, where, as cute as it was, I just didn't feel that invested.

Going to look into this Isekai where a guy makes up a Shadow organisation and then realises they actually exist.

Uzaki because as incredibly boring as the first season was, I watched it so I'm committed.

Uhhh

Seducing the last boss I guess?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

one day there will be a genuinely interesting and not gross story about a person with a modern ethical perspective being placed in a slave owning society

will it be an anime? idk but if so we'll probably never stop hearing about it
John Brown Isekai

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

hype

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I am enjoying tatami time machine in spite of usually not particularly enjoying time travel stories. It's more tatami galaxy and how could that be bad.

This season I'm going to give MHA one last chance to not bore me to tears.

I'm also looking forward to more spy x family but I hope it picks up the pace a bit this season.

I'll also watch pop team epic 2. Only a small fraction of the jokes in the first season landed for me but when they did, boy did they.

Oh yeah more mob. I can't remember what happened last season but I'll probably watch more.

DIY is also on my list to try, as is the new gundam, and for the rest I'll wait on reviews in this thread

Splode fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 1, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Once again I live in a bizarro world where very little this season appeals to me at all. Mainly because it's all sequels to stuff I never watched.

Spy Family's on the list, I hope it can go somewhere a little more interesting than the first half, where, as cute as it was, I just didn't feel that invested.

Going to look into this Isekai where a guy makes up a Shadow organisation and then realises they actually exist.

Uzaki because as incredibly boring as the first season was, I watched it so I'm committed.

Uhhh

Seducing the last boss I guess?

I will recommend you try Gundam, Urasei Yatsura, and Chainsawman. None of those are sequels and I have heard the later two are quite good. (G-Witch is original so we don’t know if it’s good yet, but I am optimistic)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ah yes surely the sixth season will be the one to redeem this thing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New OP for Popteamepic dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d0n7mXPMG4

Also a reminder that we do still have a thread for it

quote:

Poputepipikku 2nd Season (Pop Team Epic 2nd Season)
Kamikaze Douga; Space Neko Company | Jun Aoki | Jun Aoki | Comedy | 4-Koma | Oct 2, 2022
Second season of Poputepipikku.
PV
Thread

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

wtf they switched Uzaki's flesh fang to a normal one and it's bugging the hell out of me. I used to think flesh fangs were an abomination but she made me come around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current status update on series this season:
Poptepic S2 not missing a beat and I want Shota Aoi to be a Kamen Rider now
SPY x FAMILY, Uzaki, and MHA still chugging along at their respective paces
Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita is good so far. Sword Dad best Dad.
My Master Has No Tail (that rakugo tanuki one) is clean and nicely animated. The even have a special end bit explaining the jokes and cultural things that viewers might not know/understand.

Edit: Koukyuu no Karasu (The Raven Consort) also looks pretty good as a mystery drama. It's a little plain in some of the animation, though I assume some of that is for cost savings when the weirder magic happens rather than in the palace intrigue. As a side note: the main VA of the series, a relative newbie, will also be one of the main characters in Bocchi the Rock.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 2, 2022

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, Uzaki has a thread

quote:

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Double (Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Double)
ENGI | Kazuya Miura | Takashi Aoshima | Comedy, Ecchi | Manga | Oct 1, 2022
Second season of Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!
PV
Thread

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Uzaki is still a little gremlin and the family that runs the cafe is still hilarious. Good start to S2.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm trying to get into Raven Consort because who doesn't love a good ghost whodunit, but it looks extremely cheap, which becomes particularly noticeable given the lavish palace setting it's going for. I feel like this would have been better as a live adaptation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Noumin Kanren no Skill bakka Agetetara Nazeka Tsuyoku Natta (I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills) is basically One Punch Man except he's a farmer in a fantasy world. In episode 1 he casually one-hits a huge dragon by throwing a carrot through it when he was just trying to distract it while he's on his way to town to sell his vegetables at the market.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAC2kBMAhbw

ED of I'm the Villainess kicks rear end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's way cooler than the show itself.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's been enjoyable so far, though it's moving at lightning speed. Hopefully it'll slow down soon enough so that the two leads can actually spend some time together. The ongoing goof that everyone knows he's prettier than she is is good.

Also, the duality of man?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've read the manga, which is very short. it wasn't really bad, but it lacked any outstanding qualities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In a season full of what could be very good poo poo, some just ok stuff isn't bad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Noumin Kanren no Skill bakka Agetetara Nazeka Tsuyoku Natta (I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills) is basically One Punch Man except he's a farmer in a fantasy world. In episode 1 he casually one-hits a huge dragon by throwing a carrot through it when he was just trying to distract it while he's on his way to town to sell his vegetables at the market.

drat sounds badass, definitely not another bland power fantasy.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
imho the isekais that honestly lean on the "i just wanna grill" angle can be pretty okay. the one with the slime killer witch was alright. but for every one of those there's thirty "i have the WEAKEST thing, now see me explain how it's actually the STRONGEST thing in the first five minutes, but everyone will keep saying it's the WEAKEST thing before i kill them so i can keep reliving my fantasy of teaching my high school bullies not to gently caress with me"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wish I could grind for stats irl

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Namtab posted:

I wish I could grind for stats irl

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, I think people who write all of these farming isekais completely fail to realize how much work farming is in real life. There is a reason people left the farm life in droves to live in the city, once agricultural production was more efficient and people were given more liberty to move around.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only read the manga for slime witch but found it insanely dull, really charmless character writing and dynamics and like the only kind of joke it could come up with for a story about a bunch of women casually interacting with each other, was to say how weird it would be if two women made out. in like the actually kind of low key mocking the idea of people reading anything like this way, and not in the way where it is actually saying that would own

i do like some of the more low-key yuri isekai stuff though. hope the one about a girl abducting a princess and showing off her fancy magitech to her turns out okay

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 2, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't quite understand why Pop Team Epic's season 2 opening is just a fake Toku series but I like it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wasn't the S1 pilot opening a RomCom setup?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I think people who write all of these farming isekais completely fail to realize how much work farming is in real life. There is a reason people left the farm life in droves to live in the city, once agricultural production was more efficient and people were given more liberty to move around.

yeah there's a reason everyone always had like 7 kids. but the mass migrations had less to do with the labor involved (although it's still very intense to this day, even on a heavily mechanized farm) and more with property rights. would you want to live at your parents house forever as basically unpaid labor? the other option is to divide up the property over time which is how you end up with farms too small to actually survive off of. at least in the countries which didn't practice serfdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They probably think of farming like gardening and it can be a fun hobby till you have acres of land to look after