Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is there any active count of deaths/missing? The sheriff said hundreds dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rmjoNwxTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t488g2rA-Uk

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Complications posted:

Seems a good rule of thumb for hurricane formation is an intensification of one category per day at sea when one gets going now.

There's a lot of wishcasting going on with Ian's future right now, ignoring the fact that that area of the Atlantic is still warm enough to support quick hurricane growth.

NC/SC coast needs to be on guard since Ian has extra tropical characteristics and a massive wind field, which means it can pull a huge storm surge to the NC/SC coast, and if it ramps up it's strength with those massive windfields even a Cat 2 could wreak a lot of havoc.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

all of the hog piss lagoons in the coastal carolinas will flood over again

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

could you install millions of fans on the florida/east coast and blow the hurricane back out to sea?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol this guy taking 4k footage of leaves and poo poo on the ground ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8M-NhJJFMM

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
now heres osme proper 4k damage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOk41-zbuc0

also noaa apparently has some drone that goes in to (different) hurricane waters for sick youtube likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFnbEUswSFY

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

err posted:

the gulf coast south of st.pete is like 80% retirees. It's gonna be bad

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Space Jam posted:

could you install millions of fans on the florida/east coast and blow the hurricane back out to sea?
no, that's ridiculous but you could put ~kiloton anti-humidity pellet bag here and eliminate moisture

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Complications posted:

Seems a good rule of thumb for hurricane formation is an intensification of one category per day at sea when one gets going now.

Now very worried about SirPablo’s 384-hour (16-day) hurricane forecast. :ohdear:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

platzapS posted:

no, that's ridiculous but you could put ~kiloton anti-humidity pellet bag here and eliminate moisture

ok im out of ideas so how do we do that

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The sound of a bowling ball smacking into pins.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1575682764329783296
https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1575685385224540161

https://twitter.com/JulieMartinTV/status/1575579050466168832

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Death to America

https://twitter.com/_mariahxoxox/status/1575485871838859267

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Did anyone stay on Sanibel? Because if so... Lol but also :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thesaurus posted:

Did anyone stay on Sanibel? Because if so... Lol but also :smith:
They did have to rescue some people off the island by helicopter

Aid groups also arrived this morning with food for people trapped there

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol its deleted, anyone got a screenshot?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/locals-await-hurricane-ian-fort-210943138.html

quote:

The bar at Liki Tiki BBQ in Fort Myers on the afternoon of Sept. 27, 2022, as Hurricane Ian approached Florida.

The streets were nearly empty; the Hooters across the street, boarded up. But on Fort Myers Beach, the open-air bar at Liki Tiki BBQ was hopping.

As a spitting rain lashed the palms on Estero Boulevard, bartenders slung drinks to a couple dozen patrons wiling away the final hours before forecasters expected Hurricane Ian to hit the Southwest Florida coast.

"The calm before the storm," said 38-year-old Fort Myers native Chris May as he nursed a hard seltzer and shared a shrimp basket with 35-year-old Amanda Bodiot.

The National Weather Service is warning that Fort Myers could face a life-threatening 8 to 12 foot storm surge and winds north of 100 mph. Lee County has declared a mandatory evacuation for evacuation zones A and B, as well as parts of Zone C in north Cape Coral and in North Fort Myers west of I-75.

quote:

"By tomorrow this time the water might be up to the bar," May said.

"And I might be crying, you don't know, but today we're going to have a good day," Bodiot said.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

RIP those guys I guess

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

why do insurance companies even offer floodwater coverage in florida anymore lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

why do insurance companies even offer floodwater coverage in florida anymore lol

Without knowing, I'm going to guess there's some kind of system that allows them to offload their losses onto the federal government.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Because if you can't insure the house then you can't get a mortgage and if you can't get a mortgage then how can you leverage the equity on your properties to buy more properties with?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Skippy McPants posted:

Without knowing, I'm going to guess there's some kind of system that allows them to offload their losses onto the federal government.

I was pretty sure from vague recollection that this is 130% accurate, and so after some quick googling,

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/08/08/hidden-subsidy-rich-flood-insurance-000495/

The NFIP was exactly the program I was thinking of and it does exactly the thing you describe. The program is billions in debt, is mandated to calculate risks based on outdated models that also minimize risks across large areas, and almost exclusively benefits wealthy real estate investors.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Like, obviously, money is fake anyways, but also, once again, the priority in the fiefdom of the rich is protecting the interests of the rich, as you'd expect

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

love to leave my yacht in the marina for the cat 4

I assume it’s a huge process to pull one of those out and then you need a place to put it.

also most boats are huge money pits so, insurance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

There's a lot of wishcasting going on with Ian's future right now, ignoring the fact that that area of the Atlantic is still warm enough to support quick hurricane growth.

NC/SC coast needs to be on guard since Ian has extra tropical characteristics and a massive wind field, which means it can pull a huge storm surge to the NC/SC coast, and if it ramps up it's strength with those massive windfields even a Cat 2 could wreak a lot of havoc.

In the covid thread, my spouse has a history of being in the worst location possible for poo poo going down.

He's currently in Jacksonville NC (he's been there a week)

I don't know how he does this. Weather does not look kind his way right now.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

err posted:

that would be the nearly 500 prisoners he chose not to evacuate, otherwise no one knows yet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

people saying that causeway is partially collapsed is driving me bonkers

it's loving demolished

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

people saying that causeway is partially collapsed is driving me bonkers

it's loving demolished

partial = not broken down into its constituent molecules and then scattered into the upper stratosphere via concussive shockwave

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

remembering how sheikh osama bin ladin, peace be upon his name, engineered a partial collapse of the WTC on nine elven

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
it’s not a divorce, it’s a partial collapse of my marriage

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alarumklok posted:

partial = not broken down into its constituent molecules and then scattered into the upper stratosphere via concussive shockwave

90% is still there so on average it's less demolished than some other bridges that are still being used, the fact that the 10% is concentrated into one part that's just gone is irrelevant

good job everyone go home just a nothingburger here

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

gently caress off storm, I was trying to sleep

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Oglethorpe posted:

lol its deleted, anyone got a screenshot?

lol it was someone getting weepy over people picking up liquor bottles that were left as debris. residents calling for them to be arrested and stuff

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

disaster day +2, searches will get easier now since you'll be able to smell if there's anything that needs to be recovered from the piles of debris that used to be houses

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

love to leave my yacht in the marina for the cat 4

Got to be insurance cash ins

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Soup du Jour posted:

lol it was someone getting weepy over people picking up liquor bottles that were left as debris. residents calling for them to be arrested and stuff

i noticed it was deleted while the embed was still cached:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i noticed it was deleted while the embed was still cached:

Looting lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

All of the other residents are screaming with me, they're just out of frame