Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You do want at least one camp early yes just for the buildings, but you can drop later ones more as raiding support locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Fuckin' a, I didn't know about lords being a harmony multiplier thing. That's very good to know, thank you.

That is also the reason to keep a LL in human form; they get a bigger multiplier that way. It probably isn't worth it overall given how good the dragon form is, but park them near your artillery for some extra buffs at the beginning.

Astromancers and Alchemists are both worth having in your army. Not only is Comet great but Cathay somewhat uniquely gets increased spell damage from having extra casters in the same army, so even floating around just waiting to cast comet they are buffing your lord's spells too. And alchemists have +campaign movement, so that makes them mandatory too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Astromancers getting to ride a Wu Xing Compass is probably worth the slot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ravenfood posted:

That is also the reason to keep a LL in human form; they get a bigger multiplier that way. It probably isn't worth it overall given how good the dragon form is, but park them near your artillery for some extra buffs at the beginning.

Astromancers and Alchemists are both worth having in your army. Not only is Comet great but Cathay somewhat uniquely gets increased spell damage from having extra casters in the same army, so even floating around just waiting to cast comet they are buffing your lord's spells too. And alchemists have +campaign movement, so that makes them mandatory too.

The dragon form is kind of overrated, IMO. It's definitely good, but it has slow animations, is extremely vulnerable to being shot to poo poo, and restricts your magic. I spend like 80% of my time in human form with the Cathay LLs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've been keeping Iron Dragon in dragon form with the vampire sword and just smashing the enemy lord every battle. This was a wonderful idea until I engaged Lokir.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Astromancers getting to ride a Wu Xing Compass is probably worth the slot.

Weirdly I don't think that actually does anything for them, as I don't think the compass effect stacks with their normal effects as a spellcaster.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Kanos posted:

The dragon form is kind of overrated, IMO. It's definitely good, but it has slow animations, is extremely vulnerable to being shot to poo poo, and restricts your magic. I spend like 80% of my time in human form with the Cathay LLs.

Cathay dragons are bugged in campaign so you can use all their spells in dragon form.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Dragon Form is a flight toggle so don't sleep on it if you want your Lord over there punching some guy. Also funny when ground-only factions bring weak fliers and watch you eat them for free.

For early Ogre Camps I like to slam them down at choke points that either aren't covered by my settlements or at a choke close to my early big settlement(i.e. Greasus' Hall.) The army upkeep is so cheap that it never really hurts to have redundant defense. Their flexibility and the number you get is real good.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kanos posted:

Cathay advice

All of this is good. Some notes from my experience:

Sky Junks fill the same basic role as the Sky Lantern but also have a rocket launcher. I found I didn't use Sky Lanterns very much.

Ironhails are great to protect your balloon. I find they're much more efficient in that role than Longmas or a dragon lord. That said, any old archers can also do this; it's just that Ironhails are very good at it. Ironhails are also very useful as units to swing around a flank to shoot enfilade, especially if I could set up with an obstruction along that flank.

I found Peasant Horsemen to be useful as a unit to chill out by my artillery for harmony. They're super cheap and are actually decently fast, so when I captured or confederated a low-tier stable building, I kept it to add one of these just to pin whatever was trying to fool with the artillery.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why does Kostaltyn buff the primarily Ungol units like dervishes and horse archers? I can see buffing the kossars because of the whole religious irregulars thing, but you would think he would, I don't know, improve Winged Lancers and armored kossars or Streltsi while a presumed Ungol DLC lord would improve the skirmish units and sleds, since those are explicitly Ungol, and from what I remember Kostaltyn is pretty racist against the Ungol.

He also really should buff war bears more too, but that steps on Boris's deal a bit.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 30, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Why does Kostaltyn buff the primarily Ungol units like dervishes and horse archers? I can see buffing the kossars because of the whole religious irregulars thing, but you would think he would, I don't know, improve Tzar Guard (maybe), Winged Lancers and armored kossars while a presumed Ungol DLC lord would improve the skirmish units and sleds, since those are explicitly Ungol, and from what I remember Kostaltyn is pretty racist against the Ungol.

He also really should buff war bears more too, but that steps on Boris's deal too.
Kislev feels really undercooked to me. Tech tree is a mess, faction mechanic is clunky as hell and boring, and Boris feels thrown together with dumb things in his skill tree like lower personal morale for an army buff but a different skill that increases his leadership.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Why does Kostaltyn buff the primarily Ungol units like dervishes and horse archers?

Who knows? Kostaltyn and the Orthodoxy are new stuff they made for this game, so how they fit into the (pre-existing) Kislevite ethnic divide isn't clear. Presumably there's going to be a DLC that fills this in.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will always argue to use a magistrate because they are very funny with their reload and accuracy auras as well as their active unit buffs.

It makes a rocket artillery very funny.

Also woop woop balloon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Speaking of Cathay artillery:

Their rocket batteries are the best of their type in the game. Empire's is all right, Tomb Kings cost 5k and is on a very long cooldown, and Cathay's are both strong, reasonably priced and accessible. They will murder the gently caress out of swarms of infantry and there are lots of ways to buff their damage and reload.

Then you get sky junks, which are like take one of the 4 launchers in the battery and put it on a balloon. You give up cumulative firepower but you have excellent field of fire and you're not much slower than the ground version. Also I believe all the balloon units have snipers on board, and as a rule if a unit has a "secondary" ranged attack that attack has unlimited ammo. It's not devastating but still viable.

The other thing people forgot to mention is that alchemists get a single target buff that can either give massive dmg+fire, massive ap, or a mix of both+poison. This is great to use on artillery.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

The other thing people forgot to mention is that alchemists get a single target buff that can either give massive dmg+fire, massive ap, or a mix of both+poison. This is great to use on artillery.
Here's a question: do damage buffs apply when a projectile is fired or when it hits? I'd assume the later, but with a debuff that can only cover a couple of volleys it pays to be sure.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Why does Kostaltyn buff the primarily Ungol units like dervishes and horse archers? I can see buffing the kossars because of the whole religious irregulars thing, but you would think he would, I don't know, improve Winged Lancers and armored kossars or Streltsi while a presumed Ungol DLC lord would improve the skirmish units and sleds, since those are explicitly Ungol, and from what I remember Kostaltyn is pretty racist against the Ungol.

He also really should buff war bears more too, but that steps on Boris's deal a bit.

Not sure they care about the Ungols one way or the other. They set up a conflict between Ice court and church so one buffs the magic stuff and one the dudes :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Sindai posted:

Here's a question: do damage buffs apply when a projectile is fired or when it hits? I'd assume the later, but with a debuff that can only cover a couple of volleys it pays to be sure.

I would assume the unit applies the bonuses on their next Salvo if the buff was active at the time. But I'm not sure either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Zhao Ming's starting rockets are ridiculous. They don't even do AP damage like Helstorms do (and I consider Helstorms really OP), but they have astounding accuracy for rockets and I feel like that makes a massive difference.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So why I like the magistrate.

Each cathayan range unit has an accuracy of 10% and a marksmanship bonus of 10%. This gives them a 20% chance to land a shot on target. 80% chance they do not land and instead land within their calibration area within their calibration range. The calibration range is always smaller than their max range.

The exception here is the grand cannon that has 10% accuracy and 25% marksmanship.

Grand Tactician from a magistrate adds 10 reload skill to all range within 55 meters, which is about a 10% reduction in reload time. The reload times here:

Grand Cannon 22s
Sky junk and rocket artillery 20s
11-13 seconds for the rest

Inspired Marksmanship from a magistrate adds 60 accuracy and 40 reload skill for 44 seconds to one target.

So imagine a rocket artillery with 50 reload skill making it fire once every 10 seconds with an accuracy of 80%.

Veterancy in game 2 made that more accurate, I believe in game 3 it has that as well.

Also just add in the enchanted metallurgy: piercing for extra base damage and armor piercing damage for more fun.

This is going off of old knowledge though, some of this may of changed, and this also requires you to spend a lot more effort leveling a magistrate up and an alchemist for what is a very one trick pony but very funny thing to do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How do you get access to mortis engines (the unit) as VC? I don't see it anywhere in their building tree.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sindai posted:

How do you get access to mortis engines (the unit) as VC? I don't see it anywhere in their building tree.

you need the TWW1 undead DLC

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Also, don't bother building recruitment buildings as VC. Just find a really big pile of corpses and instantly raise a world beating army from it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

you need the TWW1 undead DLC
The Grim and the Grave? I definitely have that

edit: Okay I started a single player campaign and can see the building. I could have sworn it wasn't there in the MP campaign I was playing earlier but can't load it to check now. Weird.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 30, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Any faction whose LL is some variety of "Guy sitting on a thing, carried by smaller guys" is instantly disqualified as a faction I will play. Why are there so many? Why do I have to mod Ogres to play their main LL? Why are half the dwarfs unplayable to me? Why would anyone just knock those guys over and render the LL immobile in battle?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Any faction whose LL is some variety of "Guy sitting on a thing, carried by smaller guys" is instantly disqualified as a faction I will play. Why are there so many? Why do I have to mod Ogres to play their main LL? Why are half the dwarfs unplayable to me? Why would anyone just knock those guys over and render the LL immobile in battle?

That's a Grudgin'.

-----

Does TW3 run much worse than it's predecessors? I'm kinda getting the itch but TW2 runs much worse than TW1 for me, and TW3's official system reqs have the minimum at/higher than the older game's recommended hardware, which is kinda yeowch.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lame

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I do think the dropped the ball on greasus though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Why are there so many?
I assume tabletop models influence a lot of it

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Because it's really cool and badass, and "really cool and badass" is a significant multiplier to combat ability in the Warhammerverse

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

how many are there really of guy being carried about by smaller guys

vilitich doesn't count

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thorgrim

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thorgrim, Greasus, Thorek, Grom, and Ku’Gath are all some flavor of “too fat/accomplished to move, but are still valiant warriors”

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Thorgrim, Greasus, Thorek, Grom, and Ku’Gath are all some flavor of “too fat/accomplished to move, but are still valiant warriors”

Grom's on a chariot, which is slightly different than the others.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thorgrim owns bones sorry about your brain. His throne blokes are the best around, they'll never let him down.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

5/80 doesn't seem like the worst ratio for people who sit down and honestly Grom really shouldn't make that cut

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is it, we need more fat heroes that have to be pulled around by others.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i feel like op meant to say isn't instead of is and in the last sentence wouldn't instead of would but idk

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Slann are also carried you just can't see them

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mazdamundi is also sitting on a thing albeit not carried by actual creatures.

Edit: well drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

That is it, we need more fat heroes that have to be pulled around by others.

you can find one more by turning off your monitor