Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
a game I somewhat recently purchased and is pretty neat is chess plus: Combine and Conquer. Basically it's a normal chess set, but the pieces are half-peices, and you can move onto another piece to combine (so you can have knight-pawns, or rook-knights).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chess plus Command & Conquer?! Sign me up

Tesla coil to e4

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I remember hearing once that the Ethiopian version of Chess has a two phase structure. When the game begins each player can make as many moves as they want in the "development" phase without waiting for the other player, and the game only switches to turn-based once one player captures another's piece.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

We already had the perfect version of chess in 1994. :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chess: a source book for the fifth edition of the world's most popular Roleplaying game

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chess: a source book for the fifth edition of the world's most popular Roleplaying game

Featuring the award-winning adventure for 2-5 PCs: "One Night in Bangkok".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Linear Rooks quadratic bishops.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Featuring the award-winning adventure for 2-5 PCs: "One Night in Bangkok".

Make the Hard Man Humble
3rd level enchantment
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pair of chess knights)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/346101/queens-gambit-das-damengambit

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Make chess boxing the new standard

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Snorb posted:

Make the Hard Man Humble
3rd level enchantment
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pair of chess knights)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

Reversible

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Make chess boxing the new standard

winner gets to learn the mystery

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Okay, here me out: Chess Story Mode

Are you suggesting that each player take on the role of an individual chess piece in a cooperative game against a grand master (GM)?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kurieg posted:

Linear Rooks quadratic bishops.

It was already balanced because the pawn can advance all day long. En passant is dumb weeaboo anime videogame magic that ruins my verisimilitude and I don't allow it at my table.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

credit to Liquid Communism in the Crowdfunding thread posted:

Hi, my name is Everette Taylor and I’m the new CEO of Kickstarter.

It feels surreal to write those words. I’ve long admired Kickstarter, in large part because of its passionate community of creators and backers like you.

Coming to Kickstarter aligns with my own personal mission to help artists and creators, especially those who don’t have the resources and the same advantages others may have. One of the beautiful things about Kickstarter is that it helps level the playing field, that anyone with an idea has a chance to bring it into the world.

Prior to Kickstarter, I was the CMO of Artsy where I worked to support artists around the world. I’m excited to be at Kickstarter and expand beyond just the visual arts to provide access to funding for creators of all forms: games, comics, film, music, literature, design, tech and more. The possibilities are limitless, and so is the potential of this company and community.

This is just the beginning. Any strategy here at Kickstarter will start with this community in mind first. I want Kickstarter to be a platform that you can be proud of and one that we can work together to improve. I built my career as an entrepreneur simply by listening to the people the product was for. My time at Kickstarter will be no different.

I will give my all to make sure that more creators can be supported around the world and that backers are having better experiences, that anybody with an idea can bring their dreams and imagination to fruition.

I feel extremely grateful for this opportunity to be on this journey with you, and I want to hear from you. You can reach me on Instagram or Twitter.

Look out for more exciting updates from the team soon. Oh and one last thing—thank you for your contribution to Kickstarter’s legacy thus far: $6.8B pledged. More than 225,000 creative projects funded. None of that would have happened if it wasn’t for all of you.

Looking forward to making more magic together.

Everette Taylor
CEO, Kickstarter

Normal turnover, or a response to Gamefound/Backerkit/an increasing desire to circumvent paying Kickstarter money?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Normal turnover, or a response to Gamefound/Backerkit/an increasing desire to circumvent paying Kickstarter money?

Normal turnover. Aziz Hasan left in March and they’ve been looking for the permanent replacement ever since, so this is just the end of that process.

New guy probably doesn’t hate NFTs, though: https://nft.artsy.net/

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Thanlis posted:

New guy probably doesn’t hate NFTs, though: https://nft.artsy.net/

Welp, so much for that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Some good chess tutorials:
https://youtu.be/E2xNlzsnPCQ
https://youtu.be/4MqK90Aq8bE

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Eastmabl posted:

Are you suggesting that each player take on the role of an individual chess piece in a cooperative game against a grand master (GM)?

Yeah! We assign one player the role of "Referee" (or "Grand Master"), and they get to design a custom "battlefield" for the other players to move around in. To keep the game a bit more compeitive, rather than simply moving into an opposing player's square to capture them, we could institute a die mechanic where you try to roll over a target number to complete the attack, and each piece will be able to take a number of "hits" before being captured. Might need to do some balancing, so that pawns are as fun to play as queens, and we'd have to change the victory mechanic, so that one wins by eliminating the opposing forces, rather than just capturing the King (as the one side might not find a player who wishes to play that piece), but I think that can be worked out in playtesting.

Are there other games similar to this? This could be big!

fake edit: Damnit!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

You can still get the greatest version of Chess ever made:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/622830/Battle_Chess/

edit: This is an acceptable variation
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/archon-the-light-and-the-dark-1u

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Okay, here me out: Chess Story Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6_wLhUaJWw

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Thinking about another popular topic in this thread - are there any high-profile chuds in chess? Is someone out there trying to become like “the anti-woke chess guy”?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ohhyeah posted:

Thinking about another popular topic in this thread - are there any high-profile chuds in chess? Is someone out there trying to become like “the anti-woke chess guy”?
Bobby Fisher would certainly be at the top of the list of high-profile chess chuds if he wasn't currently dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Garry Kasparov consistently lent his voice to the people who turned Russia into a neoliberal shithole, and was a big believer in a ludicrous nationalist conspiracy theory called New Chronology. But all is forgiven because he's an anti-Putin guy now.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I find it hard to hold a grudge against anyone who featured in this video tbqh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnySBqioB0

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
A number of Russian players supported the invasion of Ukraine, including Anatoly Karpov who is an elected member of the Duma and is being sanctioned by the EU.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
We must go further in introducing modern game design sensibilities to chess. Chess: Legacy will bring the classic game to the 21 century, with features such as starting only with pawns and unlocking the rest of the pieces through the campaign and breaking over your knee the opponent's pieces when you capture them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

Garry Kasparov consistently lent his voice to the people who turned Russia into a neoliberal shithole, and was a big believer in a ludicrous nationalist conspiracy theory called New Chronology. But all is forgiven because he's an anti-Putin guy now.

New Chronology is my favourite conspiracy, because when you try to explain it to anyone they just stare blankly like you are speaking in tongues.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

forkboy84 posted:

New Chronology is my favourite conspiracy, because when you try to explain it to anyone they just stare blankly like you are speaking in tongues.

Now I'm interested

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
History only goes back like a thousand years. Any earlier dates are people copying and pasting, either by mistake or as part of a conspiracy to cover up Russia's true power. Jesus was crucified in the 1100s.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
And since Jesus was the Byzantine emperor, they did the crusades as revenge.

The crusades were also the Trojan war.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

papasyhotcakes posted:

We must go further in introducing modern game design sensibilities to chess. Chess: Legacy will bring the classic game to the 21 century, with features such as starting only with pawns and unlocking the rest of the pieces through the campaign and breaking over your knee the opponent's pieces when you capture them.
...would play

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

90s Cringe Rock posted:

History only goes back like a thousand years. Any earlier dates are people copying and pasting, either by mistake or as part of a conspiracy to cover up Russia's true power. Jesus was crucified in the 1100s.

This sounds like a baller Unknown Armies campaign setting and/or adept school

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

This sounds like a baller Unknown Armies campaign setting and/or adept school

I used a missing history gimmick as the main frame for a Yellow King campaign; worked great.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It has some neat ideas, but to be clear New Chronology is super racist and anti semitic so be careful about how you use it.
Edit: but to bring it back to chess Kasparov was a fan of it, though I'm not sure how seriously he took it.

neaden fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 1, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's not quite time cube in its presentation, but it is absolutely nuts: https://chronologia.org/en/index.html

It's one of those "Don't know where to even start critiquing their work, because they aren't even wrong" type things, where mistakes compound upon axiomatic misunderstandings which compound upon discredited sources...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Our Fake History did a podcast on it. (Note that the name of the podcast is because they debunk historical myths, not that they're proponents of this theory.)

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php/season-2/episode-43-what-is-phantom-time/

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The Madness Dossier kinda covers the whole “history is a lie” territory too. Plus magic where the user has to close their eyes lest they accidentally affect themselves.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

It has some neat ideas, but to be clear New Chronology is super racist and anti semitic so be careful about how you use it.
Edit: but to bring it back to chess Kasparov was a fan of it, though I'm not sure how seriously he took it.

Are any of these conspiracy theories not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Out of India theory and other Vedic pseudoarcheology is racist in general but not specifically anti-semitic. Belief in Havana Syndrome is more a red scare thing than a racism thing. There are a whole bunch of things that used to be considered conspiracy theories that turned out to just be real terrible things the US government did to its own citizens.