Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my experience has been that combat min-max (always maintaining full combat width, fighting on defensive terrain, having a better general, reinforcing mid-fight) is more meaningful than it used to be; at one point if you bothered to take care with details like that you were basically invincible against the AI, while it feels more like something you need to do to match them, now. i couldn't tell you exactly which changes under the hood encouraged all of that - probably just the AI doing that stuff better than it did before, but there have been some changes to things like morale too which i don't really remember the details of.

manpower is definitely a way to brute force past most mistakes, but in general try not to take "fair" battles; get the AI stuck in on mountain fort sieges and stuff like that, then take them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

nimby posted:

full back line of cannon with 1.5x that much infantry,

Front lines retreat all at once, so the extra .5x combat width of inf is effectively useless in battle. Either go 1x combat width of both, or a full 2x inf.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There have been various tweaks (in particular in the previous version it was much harder to stackwipe due to a bug, which is now fixed) but nothing that fundamentally changes late game combat. If you are fighting 100k stacks then yes, you will most likely need your own doomstacks and some mid-battle infantry reinforcements. For attrition you can micromanage more, or take Defensive/Quantity ideas and policies to mitigate it. Slackening recruitment is often useful as well and the AI will do it a lot.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
They also changed the deployment algorithm such that infantry/cavalry CANNOT be deployed on the backline, so the dumbass AI can no longer gently caress itself by engaging with too few cannons and getting some of its reserves pushed uselessly into the backline.
Now when they stream in their little piecemeal armies, the late arriving troops are filtered perfectly into place.
Basically the AI is forced to have a more effective army organization than it did before, on top of the changes to passive morale damage, pips, etc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do you guys set your national focus to when starting off (1444)

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What do you guys set your national focus to when starting off (1444)

99% of the time Mil because tech 4 is a huge power boost

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Military unless I'm rushing an idea group, or you're so powerful that you need to core a ton early.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mil or Adm depending on my ruler

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I usually dont set a focus until I get my first idea group because I forget about it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I need a really good reason to not pick Mil

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sometimes I will leave it not focused if I know I am going to expand real fast and I want enough admin to core everything quickly.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ive found a new joy in life: give military access to anyone who asks for it, then provoke a revolt right when theyre crossing your angry provinces

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Ive found a new joy in life: give military access to anyone who asks for it, then provoke a revolt right when theyre crossing your angry provinces

Is there a way to tell which province it'll actually spawn in? even when I look at it'll say [province] will have 10 years of separatism, it'll spawn somewhere else sometimes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kild posted:

Is there a way to tell which province it'll actually spawn in?

For small/local revolts that only spawn one stack it'll almost always be in the highest dev province.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

why the hell did this happen and why is it so expensive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The values of stuff like that are generally your annual income * some factor. Maybe its a typo in the event?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

The values of stuff like that are generally your annual income * some factor. Maybe its a typo in the event?

I wish.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I also got slammed by that event in my Teutonic Order game and ended up having to take out about 6 loans to cover it despite having a pretty good treasury before the event hit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cockblocktopus posted:

I also got slammed by that event in my Teutonic Order game and ended up having to take out about 6 loans to cover it despite having a pretty good treasury before the event hit.

I was also Teutonic order going the Horde route.

e: Ah it's just an event that can happen

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Teutonic_events#The_Great_Peasants.27_War

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 1, 2022

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Kild posted:

Is there a way to tell which province it'll actually spawn in? even when I look at it'll say [province] will have 10 years of separatism, it'll spawn somewhere else sometimes.

if you mouseover the percent to completion for the revolt it will highlight possible spawn locations in purple

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Kild posted:

I was also Teutonic order going the Horde route.

e: Ah it's just an event that can happen

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Teutonic_events#The_Great_Peasants.27_War

Aaaaah ok, its punishing the player for being in the HRE during the Great Peasants War.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aaaaah ok, its punishing the player for being in the HRE during the Great Peasants War.

It happens to Teuts no matter what as far as I can tell.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Started a Brandenburg=>Prussia game to get a better feel for the game before giving Byzantium another try.

Having 130 discipline during the League War is just hilarious. Deleting entire stacks of 30-40k units. Just sucks that Saxony started it while I was engaged with Denmark in another war so I wasn't in charge of the peacedeals.

Does the HRE keep existing if you conquer everyone? I don't feel like trying to diplomatically fix the imperial authority drain from heretic princes, and I figure by the time I force-convert everyone and wait for IA to tick up, I'd have been better off just taking everything for myself.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

if youre trying to conquer the entire HRE youre better off just disbanding it tbh

The fewer member states there are, the more marginal the benefit of being emperor becomes

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

you can't use greenland to move to the new world :saddowns:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

you can't use greenland to move to the new world :saddowns:

I think you can still move to new georgia/the galapagos from there right? I forget how moving to the new world works exactly.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

yeti friend posted:

I think you can still move to new georgia/the galapagos from there right? I forget how moving to the new world works exactly.

I tried Bermuda as it doesn't form a colonial nation but that didn't work either because its already NA so I went down to Brazil so I could then hop to an Africa island and then was able to move to the new world proper.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mr. Grinch posted:

if youre trying to conquer the entire HRE youre better off just disbanding it tbh

The fewer member states there are, the more marginal the benefit of being emperor becomes

Winning with the Protestant League made me emperor, but I forgot to account for my post-league conquest spree ending up in a pan-HRE coalition against me that'd vote for an 8-province elector as emperor. Now disbanding it will be easy.

No idea if I'm already at a point where I can just ignore coalitions if there aren't multiple Great Powers involved, but I guess I'll find out.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

lamentable dustman posted:

I tried Bermuda as it doesn't form a colonial nation but that didn't work either because its already NA so I went down to Brazil so I could then hop to an Africa island and then was able to move to the new world proper.

You can move via Greenland or Bermuda to a South America colonial region, or via Falklands, South Georgia or Galapagos to North America.

You can only use Greenland if you only own one of the two provinces there.

Alternatively, some solitary province in Africa, Asia or non-colonial Oceania will work. The point is you need your capital to be the only province in a state on its continent. (You trivially achieve this by being an OPM at home; or you can give away any other provinces in your capital state and unstate everything else, that also works.)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

??

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

They're applauding your excellent taste in provinces

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

They love you so much they could just eat you up

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's a typo, it should read "wants the best for your provinces". How neighbourly :)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Overflow

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Going to try to go from a Māori minor to a Sunset Invasion. Ive got forming Aotearoa down to a science, but I need to work out rushing colonists and where I should put them to gain access to trade. Polynesian Triangle starts pretty worthless because the island minors are dirt poor but you can direct the rich SE Asian trade to your port. Theres also a gold province next door in Queensland you can grab.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Sweden run is going well.

:v:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Sweden run is going well.

:v:

Grabbed 5 achievements even :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Scandinavia no longer a trap decision then?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tahirovic posted:

Scandinavia no longer a trap decision then?

Very much not anymore. Can be formed much earlier, has way cool mission tree... in fact four different mission trees, depending on who formed it.

(I suspect it still blocks the Norwegian Wood achievement though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Counterpoint: in my Teutons game, my bro Sweden formed Scandinavia, then fell into a PU under my rival mega-Austria and now they're probably more powerful than me, currently three provinces off from forming Mongol Empire.

The late game feels a lot more balanced now IMO. I've been playing a pretty chill game for the most part (didn't find out about the Mongol achievement until I was in the late 1600s) and there's at least two enemies that can go toe-to-toe with me (Austria & my best bro Spain as #1; Vijayanagara & Jaunpur as #2) and three pretty strong AIs (mega-Mamluks, Shun before I started focusing everything on them, and my other ally Bengal). It's 1750 or 1760 and I could still get destroyed by a coalition if I really gently caress up.

I usually make it to 1720-1750 in my games but by the time Absolutism shows up I've been unstoppable.