Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

RareAcumen posted:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1574755498976501761

I can't wait for Dunkey to save the gaming industry.

No, not with unions.

Before I got slandered by esco for simply enjoying games, I was going to mention that this is indeed true and was done by a goon who’s username is Kinnas. He was the art director for the game and if you look up his posts you can see him posting concept art from the game in like 2016, when it was still called ‘No Truce With the Furies’ (which they changed because on another forum where they regularly posted developer updates, like 2/3rds of the posts were about how they thought it was a game about furries. But yeah if ur into that sort of stuff, his post history is full of good stuff like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
stop bloody liking things you bugger

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Disco Elysium is a great game!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MGS VR Missions is one of the games I've been playing during my recent goofing off with fifth gen emulation. Gameplay holds up beautifully! It's archaic I guess in the sense that it's not a third-person shooter? But it plays just fine given its perfectly reasonable constraints. Plays extremely well for the era actually, it's one of the few PS1 games I've found with dualshock support that has actual analog control rather than mapping the stick to dpad inputs.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

How I wish they would release MGS1 and VR Missions on PS+ Premium!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Frankston posted:

Disco Elysium is a great game!

It's really good. The amount of freedom is exceptional. I went through my first playthrough sober and didn't ever see what I looked like so I always had that weird portrait. I need some time before a second play through.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

acksplode posted:

Are you mixing up dodge and avoid? Duck/hop is avoid (L1 plus stick down for avoiding low attacks, or stick in any other direction for avoiding high attacks) and dashing in a direction is dodge (R2 plus stick in direction). You want to mostly use avoid. Dodge is for getting out of the way of unavoidable grabs, or quickly repositioning yourself

Sorry I meant avoid. Holding L1+left stick pointing right.

Sometimes I duck sometimes I hop over a leg sweep sometimes I avoid correctly. Gotta be a stick issue right? It’s not that finicky ?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Phantom Pain is the best game.

A post that causes me phantom pain. ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How’s the Pulse wireless headset? It’s on sale on Amazon today

It's good for the price. If your budget is higher go for the H7

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

bullets are the boringest way to interact with anything

Outer Wilds and Inscryption both have very cool, subtle uses for the triggers, which I appreciate. But let's be honest with ourselves...triggers became a thing as the fps became shorthand for gaming broadly. It's getting harder to develop new associations for a button that was specifically designed to imply 'gun'. So yeah, it's pretty by the numbers most of the time, and while I'd welcome more diverse uses I don't expect a whole lot of them to come down the pike.

Good god, can you imagine how loving hyped I'd be for Mirror's Edge 3 with haptics+triggers?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
no i cannot imagine

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

Sorry I meant avoid. Holding L1+left stick pointing right.

Sometimes I duck sometimes I hop over a leg sweep sometimes I avoid correctly. Gotta be a stick issue right? It’s not that finicky ?

There are only two avoid moves, L1+down for avoiding low attacks, and L1+(up or left or right) for avoiding mid/high attacks. My guess is that when you do L1+right you're occasionally accidentally doing L1+down and getting the hop, and occasionally getting the input right but doing it early and getting the default duck motion. My advice is to only do L1+up or L1+down to minimize risk of doing the wrong thing. You don't need to do L1+right, it's the same exact thing as L1+up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gimme dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_mXDPAKw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

that's because literally everyone else has noticed that everything google does that isn't search and email is unceremoniously orphaned and killed as soon as possible

first they killed my gchat. then they killed my hangouts. now they're coming for my stadia.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

acksplode posted:

There are only two avoid moves, L1+down for avoiding low attacks, and L1+(up or left or right) for avoiding mid/high attacks. My guess is that when you do L1+right you're occasionally accidentally doing L1+down and getting the hop, and occasionally getting the input right but doing it early and getting the default duck motion. My advice is to only do L1+up or L1+down to minimize risk of doing the wrong thing. You don't need to do L1+right, it's the same exact thing as L1+up.

the top down vertical strikes you can avoid with L1+Up? I thought you needed to go Left or Right to avoid those.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

returnal and uncharted aren't the only imminent pc releases, sackboy on its way, too

https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/1575501253634768896

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

legit thought I broke my console. ps5 would boot fine for like 30 seconds and then would freeze at the Home Screen, controller unresponsive apart from the ps button, and trying to turn it off would make it freeze on the ‘turning the console off screen’ and would need a hard reset. Turns out it was the router being plugged in but not having an internet connection lol.

xbox and switch worked normally :magemage:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlNIRS0ktxs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

the top down vertical strikes you can avoid with L1+Up? I thought you needed to go Left or Right to avoid those.

Yes! Up-avoid will handle any attack that hits above the belt. It's one of the mechanics they pulled from God Hand

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

acksplode posted:

Yes! Up-avoid will handle any attack that hits above the belt. It's one of the mechanics they pulled from God Hand

oh wtf. Ok that is a huge change

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

stop bloody liking things you bugger

What have u been playing/enjoying lately, I saw that you were playing inscrpytion I think. I’ve done 2/4 of the bosses in act 3, and this just happened which made me lol
(Skip to like 1:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDLMhfU7xo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 30, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you might wanna spoiler that, or just make it a url rather than a video link

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and yeah, the bosses in act 3 loving rule

edit; the music alone in act 2 and 3 just goes so hard, prolly my fav soundtrack for a game this year

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 30, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i felt the same way Beanpole, I put it down maybe twice and only after hearing nothing but praise decided to knuckle down and really give it a real square go. It requires you to think out the box a bit but I felt it was fairly well guided for the majority. I'll admit though I got super stumped in the last maybe 10% and just had to look up a guide, I would have loved to have solved it of my own accord but that little bit of assistance was preferable to just binning it out of sheer frustration. It depends which side of that fence you sit on but yeah I wouldn't fault anyone for bouncing off that game out of sheer bewilderment

Yeah, it's cool, and I like the game a lot and respect its ambition. I've put like 16+ hours into it and I'm paying attention as much as possible, but jeez the number of nothing loops I've done is really making my attention wander. I've just felt at a loss more often than not and the sense of wonder and grandiose immersion is kinda wearing off as I come up against more rigid lines of progression.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it's cool, and I like the game a lot and respect its ambition. I've put like 16+ hours into it and I'm paying attention as much as possible, but jeez the number of nothing loops I've done is really making my attention wander. I've just felt at a loss more often than not and the sense of wonder and grandiose immersion is kinda wearing off as I come up against more rigid lines of progression.

I think you’re very much overthinking things, or missing some stuff that i can’t tell just from the rumor map you sent. I know that you’ll probably put stuff together once you explore the vessel, the black hole forge and the core of giants deep. I saw that you went into the interloper, which is one of the trickier things to figure out and get the timing right, I feel like a weirdly large number of people miss it entirely and don’t even do that before finishing the game.

Also what was the ‘more to explore’ in the high energy lab, I’m pretty certain it’s the little experiment that’s set up behind the glass. as I pointed out, they say it takes a ton of power to go back in time 22 minutes like they want to, and in the demo they’ve set up, they have to redirect the power from the entire sunless city to power the mini demonstration. Did you do that? It might put into perspective just how much power they need to do 22 minutes…

Also a general tip that will help you with dark bramble related exploration is that you can set your destination in the rumor log, and then it shows up in game while flying around etc. and you can lock onto it as a destination, which in addition to the frequency scanner, makes it easier to navigate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

I think you’re very much overthinking things, or missing some stuff that i can’t tell just from the rumor map you sent. I know that you’ll probably put stuff together once you explore the vessel, the black hole forge and the core of giants deep. I saw that you went into the interloper, which is one of the trickier things to figure out and get the timing right, I feel like a weirdly large number of people miss it entirely and don’t even do that before finishing the game.

Also what was the ‘more to explore’ in the high energy lab, I’m pretty certain it’s the little experiment that’s set up behind the glass. as I pointed out, they say it takes a ton of power to go back in time 22 minutes like they want to, and in the demo they’ve set up, they have to redirect the power from the entire sunless city to power the mini demonstration. Did you do that? It might put into perspective just how much power they need to do 22 minutes…

Also a general tip that will help you with dark bramble related exploration is that you can set your destination in the rumor log, and then it shows up in game while flying around etc. and you can lock onto it as a destination, which in addition to the frequency scanner, makes it easier to navigate.

Cool thanks. Nah, the only thing left in High Energy Lab was a bit of text I missed. Lame, because that place is a pain in the rear end to get to. I really thought I was gonna be clever and ride the jellyfish into the core of GD or something, but it was wrongthink and I just get shocked to death by the core.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS SHOOT THE TENTACLES

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You almost have to admire SE’s commitment to mediocrity for the next generation of console and PC gaming. It’s a good thing FF14 is beloved because otherwise I do know what they have going for them. A couple more remakes of the last decent DQ title maybe?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bloodychill posted:

You almost have to admire SE’s commitment to mediocrity for the next generation of console and PC gaming. It’s a good thing FF14 is beloved because otherwise I do know what they have going for them. A couple more remakes of the last decent DQ title maybe?

I don't mind more double a level games. I doubt these games were anywhere expensive or time consuming to make as the Final Fantasy. Reviewers are also awfully harsh on weird Japanese poo poo because usually the gameplay is fine but the production value sucks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Neo TWEWY was pretty drat good

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I really thought I was gonna be clever and ride the jellyfish into the core of GD or something, but it was wrongthink and I just get shocked to death by the core.

It sounds to me like you've got the right idea, but the wrong execution.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kazzah posted:

It sounds to me like you've got the right idea, but the wrong execution.

i gasped when i read that lol, but yeah try it without the ship. did you find the other frozen jellyfish?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Neo TWEWY was pretty drat good

Stranger of Paradise is really fun as well, a lot of the issues with have nothing to do with gameplay.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bop bop perano posted:

What have u been playing/enjoying lately, I saw that you were playing inscrpytion I think.

Yeah I completed and really enjoyed Inscryption. Played the Summer chapter of TLOU1 which was fuckin awesome and did a little more in my Ghost of Tsushima replay (eventually getting to the DLC) but mostly I’ve just been playing an absolute shitload of Splatoon 3 because it is wonderful

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I tried cyberpunk again and I had a real good time with it tbis go around. some good ways to make a room full of dead idiots

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Just got the Plat for The Last of Us remake. My God I just love this game so much. They have a 2 hour behind the scenes thing about how they made the game and music and just everything. It's so loving good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t recommend the older ones any more because they are so archaic in terms of gameplay that you run the risk of putting people off Mgsv, which is a really fun game even if you don’t know the story.

:prepop:

I just cannot agree here. I just played all three of these for the very first time a few months ago, with Elden Ring sandwiched in between, and it was a godlike stretch of gaming.

They are old, but it does not make them any less fun. MGS3 in particular being a real standout in every way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

bop bop perano posted:

Before I got slandered by esco for simply enjoying games, I was going to mention that this is indeed true and was done by a goon who’s username is Kinnas. He was the art director for the game and if you look up his posts you can see him posting concept art from the game in like 2016, when it was still called ‘No Truce With the Furies’ (which they changed because on another forum where they regularly posted developer updates, like 2/3rds of the posts were about how they thought it was a game about furries. But yeah if ur into that sort of stuff, his post history is full of good stuff like this

that’s cool as hell

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

some good ways to make a room full of dead idiots

another way: invite the PSN thread over to your house :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Playing MGS2/3 without being able to slowly let go of square to not shoot a guy in the back of the head seems like not even playing it at all.

I hear you have to press down on the dpad in the non-PS2/PS3 versions instead? gently caress that.