Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/rigaspp/status/1572188392888090626

My country. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Morrow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1572150754844250115

Are these promises of reforms meaningful or consistent with ongoing policies, or is it just a PR blitz to avoid getting too dependent on China when Russia collapses?

the target audience of an english-language op-ed in politico.eu is categorically not anyone that would experience those reforms and, yeah, it looks like mostly trying to curry favor with western politicians by hitting pro-democracy talking points, trying to build relationships other than China. i don't think there's really any positive read of the "we're allowing political parties now, and wish the best of luck to that opposition forming in the drastically reduced time until the next election cycle" snap elections strategy. the focus now is on continuing to lessen the power of Nazarbayev's cohort; democratic reforms can maybe come later. it's too soon to say if Tokayev is just putting up a smokescreen while consolidating his own power enough to cement his own undemocratic rule, but he's certainly not going full tilt democracy in the short term.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

That is a stock photo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikusR posted:

That is a stock photo.

What did you want them to use, a photo of her sleeping in her underwear, as she was found by the cops?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 22, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/janisdombrava/status/1572847903252819970

NA is openly gloating their win of forcing the government to “review” all residency permits issued to Russian citizens. Sadly, not having too many reasons to hold my breath for the process that’s going to follow, or that electorate is going to take a pause to compare NA’s effort to deport a bunch of ethnic Russians to their efforts to make sure that nurses, teachers, and pensioners can afford to eat.

At least I can have my lovely silver lining of them tanking in the ratings:

https://twitter.com/retv_lv/status/1572611806543200256

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What did you want them to use, a photo of her sleeping in her underwear, as she was found by the cops?

…y …yea?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why else do we have police body cameras and freedom of information requests?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1573292225982861314

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo are they really going for it? Any ideas what this is based on, was it some Azeri demands in the talks?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo are they really going for it? Any ideas what this is based on, was it some Azeri demands in the talks?

I believe it’s a largely-to-entirely made up case of “Armenia is threatening us”. That said, French intelligence might be overcompensating post-February.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

Still higher than the US alerts (who have better intel), they are barring embassey staff from those areas but the country is still "level 1"

https://am.usembassy.gov/security-alert-update/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Actually losing my mind from government-sponsored makeup and food memes about mobilisation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, we have the 14th Saeima elections in Latvia on the 1st of October, where we choose our parliament. This is the most important election of Latvian political cycle, since the parliament elects our president. Brief summary of our electoral system: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/reports/2177_B.htm

I'll go through all 19 party lists, summarizing their demographics, party program overall – condensed where possible, and focusing on policies, rather than demagoguery, but otherwise as neutrally as I can manage. In addition to that, I'll also try to throw in something about noteworthy recent scandals for the parties. Parties are ordered as on the actual ballot stack (ballot rank of 1 means that this is the first list a voter sees when they open their voting envelope in the booth), and political orientation labels I've made up on my own.

For the summaries of political programmes, things useful to know:
  • OIK – mandatory procurement component for energy, or, very simplified, a static fee on your electricity bill, stemming out of 2001/77/EC. It was cancelled on August 16 by the ruling coalition, so after some parties had submitted their manifestos. If you'd like to learn more (oh god, why) – https://elenger.lv/en/what-is-the-mpc/
  • KNAB – Corruption Prevention and Combating Bureau of Latvia
  • CVK – Central Election Commission of Latvia
  • VID – State Revenue Service of Latvia
  • Latvian pension system – https://www.manapensija.lv/en/pension-system/pension-system-2/
  • Civil union law – legalization of gay marriage
  • Vehicle operating tax – https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/vehicle-operating-tax
  • Altum – Necessary context here is that this is a public agency that does subsidize mortgages, but you can read more here: https://www.altum.lv/en/about-altum/what-we-are/
  • Non-citizen – After the USSR collapsed, Latvian citizenships were (re-)issued under jus sanguinis principle, referencing citizenship status in the first independent Latvia. This means Soviet colonists and immigrants, and exclusively their descendants, did not become Latvian citizens, and their civil rights did metastasize into a special status of a non-citizen (with privileges exceeding those of post-1991 permanent residency grants). As of 2019, 10% of Latvian population are non-citizens, with the most important restriction on their rights, relative to citizens, being inability to vote. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-citizens_(Latvia)
Furthermore, here are the party ratings as of the 6th of September. 51.2% turnout estimate, and balls represent 2018 performance of the parties. Further ratings data is here: https://reitingi.factum.lv/reitingi-saeima/

Links to individual parties (meaningful 2018 election results in brackets):
  • JV (6.69%, 8 MPs)
  • LKS
  • ZZS (9.91%, 11 MPs)
  • TKL
  • SV
  • KPP
  • S (19.80%, 23 MPs)
  • S!
  • TVS
  • VL
  • NA (11.01%, 13 MPs)
  • LPV
  • K (13.59%, 16 MPs, named JKP at the time)
  • KuK
  • PRO
  • A/P (12.04%, 13 MPs)
  • AL (14.25%, 16 MPs, named KPV at the time)
  • AS
  • R

P.S. Current parliament numbers may not be accurate. In part because our Saeima's website is not great, in part because our parliamentary factions don't quite work like that, and in part since it's 3am and I simply cannot be arsed to cross-reference that much. It's not too relevant in any case, these numbers I'm copy-pasting will be maybe 1 MP off for a few parties where I know they're not exactly right.

Alright, time for the more serious Latvia elections effort post, with the last major pre-election ratings finalized.

I'll go over just the parties polling above 5%. Of the 4 polling around 5% only K has non-zero chances of entering into a government coalition with anyone, and looking at their programme wouldn't add meaningfully to the preceding, regarding major political beats of the current electoral cycle.

New Unity (JV)

The programme overall feels quite conservative, playing on the safe side in the continuation of their informal role of being the consensus party, quote-unquote, and vacuuming up disgruntled M(E)Ps from other parties. The business part is really fluffy, but the more accountable things elsewhere seem to be reasonably within reach - they've clearly invested a lot of effort into writing the programme into something that a non-loyal person voter could find believable. Pending non-critical obstacles like LIZDA (teachers' union) opposing the mandatory STEM exam due to lack of teachers.

Simultaneously, they don't promise anything too radical. It's mostly incrementalism, in a derogatory sense, and acknowledgement of problems that are universally acknowledged. The loud beats of their programme are 1) education in Latvian, 2) prevention of domestic violence, 3) de facto legal recognition of gay marriage, and 4) construction of an LNG terminal.

1) Education in Latvian – this is the most heated, partisan issue in the history of politics of the 2nd independent Latvia, with the sides being nationalists and Russian speakers, simplifying. Going into the implementation minutiae wouldn't be too relevant here, so I'll just do a general background on how it went.
  • USSR – schools had bilingual tracks, where you chose to study in Russian or in Latvian.
  • 1991 – USSR collapses, and dual-track schools split up or close. At the end of that process, roughly 60% of the schools became Latvian, and 40% became minority schools, which treated Latvian as a foreign language – studying it like English, a few hours per week.
  • 1995 – first major education reform, mainly to bring things into order, and reevaluate the Soviet system using western research. Along the way, minority schools were obliged to teach at least 2 subjects in primary education and 3 subjects in secondary education (my secondary education diploma has 17 subjects on it), choice left to the schools, in Latvian. Centralized exams get introduced as condition for attaining secondary education (think SAT but with 5% passing grade), and they're taken in the language of the teaching institution. Minority schools get a relaxed Latvian exam that basically just tests if you can memorize grammar rules (which are not too different from Slavic languages).
  • 2006 – second major education reform, forcing minority schools to conduct at least 60% of teaching hours in secondary education in Latvian. A year later, centralized exams got switched into Latvian for everyone. People who began the 9th grade in autumn semester of 2006 are the first school cohort that shouldn't be able to finish basic education without de facto speaking at least some Latvian. I say shouldn't since I know plenty of people from thereabouts, who don't.
  • 2009 – unrelated really, but this was a big deal internally, with a lot of schools getting slimmed down and merged due to the global financial crisis and connected domestic turmoil. Another context fact to know here is that the number of pupils in general education schools had gone down from 360k in 2000 to 220k in 2011, without a proportional adjustment to the school network at first.
  • 2017 – third major education reform, with a new model of bilingual education for minority schools. The full implementation was finished during the previous school year, and it works as follows. Grades 1-6: depending on preschool education of the pupil, either 50 or 80% of study hours are in Latvian. Grades 7-9: 80% in Latvian, and mandatory school exams for the primary education are conducted in Latvian. Grades 10-12: 100% in Latvian. Throughout all grades, minority schools retain the right to teach in their native language the language itself, its literature, and subjects relating to history or culture.
  • 2022 – with Putin's support, our nationalists successfully forced education 100% in Latvian starting with preschool, the age of 2 or so, with the exception for “native” subjects remaining in place unaltered. Part of the elections vote calculus will be a referendum on killing this law, but, frankly, trying to stop it now is a fool's errand.
Caveat - all of that applies to education levels below tertiary, which is a separate mess here, but much less politically charged one. As a chaser, stats for prevalence of minority schools over the years:

2) Domestic violence here looks like a red herring to me. They're seemingly suggesting ratifying the Istanbul convention, but the choice of language is deliberately vague, much like on their thing about gay marriage. On one hand, they could be trying to manoeuvre around inattentive voters, with, e.g., one of the most popular government ministers being openly gay. On the other hand, our conservative really like to glibly repeat “our laws are better than the Istanbul convention”, and JV kind-of are soft conservatives, especially with being the consensus tent now. I see this mainly as a “women, please vote for us” thing, given that our murder stats for at least a decade show 90%+ women victims.

3) JV has voted for the civil unions law, so the only question really is if they're considering compromising on some “biological family” bullshit somewhere, if they find themselves in a government coalition with NA again.

4) LNG terminal is going to be funny. I'd say that the average JV voter leans affluent, but I guess they're urban enough that NIMBY moaning about infrastructure (major theme in Latvia, be angry about anything being built near you, and then complain that you live in an economic wasteland) is not going to be too prominent.

National Alliance (NA)

Same old horse poo poo, though admittedly timid, compared to some of their past (and I don't mean like the Pērkonkrustieši stuff). Peculiar to see them not trying to capitalize on the Green Deal all that much. The “we'll improve methodical support for general education” thing smells like CRT moaning by American conservatives, e.g., in Florida. The “faster courts” thing is also duplicitous as hell, given that they basically want to fire the constitutional court.

United List (AS)

An usual programme, as I noted earlier. This read very focus grouped at "rural Latvian pensioner complaining about technocratic incompetence of government" demographic, and the rating does reflect that reasonably well, I guess. Simultaneously, they're dodging all the hot button issues outlined under JV, basically. I fear that their voters might be in for a ride, when their assumptions about party's beliefs not put into writing face a reality check.

Progressives (PRO)

While I think the programme is a bit weak in an analytical sense, in that it doesn't do a good, or even just decent, frankly, job at convincing that they know how to achieve their stated goals, they are living up to their name, mostly. Fair amount of recognition given to the more challenging subjects (shadow economy, poverty in the regions and among younger people). In general, I'm refreshingly surprised with the extent of care for regions that their party shows, without being a pro-regional lobby (local politics get weird when 2/3 of the country live in the capital, and the next largest city is 1/6th the Riga city limits de jure). Pretty bold of them to speak in favour of the Istanbul convention, about alcohol being a problem as well. Also, to go after the gambling lobby in their programme, which is influential enough to have government ministers shut down city-level gambling restrictions on their behalf. All that said, they still seem to be holding on to a slightly blind, in my opinion, fetishization of the Nordics, and putting “education in Latvian starting from the age of 1.5” under “inclusive society” is just appalling. :whitewater:

Harmony (S)

The programme is really weak, and I think this might be the last parliament where it'll pass the parliamentary threshold in its current form. They have some crafty politicians who will live on, but the party as-founded seems to be spent. There's no possible outcome for the election where they can exert any influence at all, so I'll just briefly muse about two of the points they make that repeat themselves in almost all populistic programs.

1) Single-mandate electoral system. I guess this is an interesting side effect of KPV's collapse, dragging down literally everyone else, and the likes of Aldis Gobzems being forced to eat poo poo with a big spoon. I do think that it's unhealthy that getting elected as an independent in our system is impossible, but this feels much less like that to me, and much more like a select few being upset for not being able to cancel the government, while posing too much electoral risk for their parties to retain them. Especially when coupled with what other parties propose, e.g., halving parliament seats to 50, and potential gerrymandering risks stemming out of the disproportionate size of Riga.

2) Popular presidential election. Honestly, a bit weird that we still have the parliament elect the president for us, but moving to an open presidential election, in my opinion, we would need to revise the institute, further away from the American model.

Union of Farmers and Greens (ZZS)

I feel like this is another party that's guaranteed to be irrelevant. Lembergs is simply too toxic, and stuff like increasing pensions for Soviet boomers is fairly transparent.

Development/For! (A/P)

The programme reads like a 10pm rant at the TV that Latvia must be better at computers. Besides noting that they're the main proponent behind having a conscription service, the thing to breach here, I guess, is that they're mentioning respect for the constitution in their programme. It's relatively peculiarly placed, right after the sentence about courts, and in my read this sounds like they're keen on to more explicitly distance from the conservatives who are yelling that our constitutional court is too political and woke in their interpretation of family rights. It was very funny to watch the bunch of law-and-order conservatives just straight up say the quiet part out loud with “let's close the courts and remake them a new with only the judges we like”.

For Stability! (S!)

Another non-factor party, with the program just firing scattershot at things they think people complain about. The main difference between S and S! is that S! wants to persecute the current government and members of parliament criminally, for daring to do anything about the pandemic.

Government predictions (the last major ratings poll before the election)

I think we'll have 8-11 parties in the parliament – ideally just 8, since NA, ZZS, and S! already means plenty of trash in the chairs. My own predictions would be >25% for JV, >10% for NA, AS, and PRO. The government coalition would then have 2 basic options – JV, AS, either PRO or NA, and A/P if that wasn't enough for a majority. I can't imagine anyone working with ZZS or S, or S!, and, similarly, NA and PRO entering the same coalition seems untenable. I think NA will be more skilled at selling out to get into the coalition, but PRO is quite popular in Riga, and that alone may carry them in a tiebreaker.

edit: https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/lat...ar-zzs.a475129/

Fresh interview with the current PM, and the most likely next PM. Content re-running the current coalition (JV-NA-A/P-K), red line on ZZS, cautiously non-committal on AS, and politely neutral on PRO.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For myself, I think I'll toss a ballot in for PRO on the weekend. I'm ultimately left wanting by their program, in terms of technocratic policy, but a vote for them should work out as a soft vote against NA and maybe AS, which is good enough for me. Gathering a list of decent options for my parents though is easier said than done, since there's maybe 2 parties total I'd consider voting for out of them all. I guess I'll just give them JV and PRO, since I can't imagine them voting for literally any other ballot, both being liberal long-term S/predecessors voters that cannot stand Putin.

Also, my partiju šķirotava result, for memes:

My disagreements with PRO are pretty much as expected, apart from them apparently being fully opposed to people electing the president and partially supportive of putting off climate preservation reforms in favour of short-term economic benefits.

edit: lol

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 25, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is this the proposed new cabinet for an incoming coalition?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i say swears online posted:

is this the proposed new cabinet for an incoming coalition?

This is what partiju šķirotava alleges to be my dream cabinet :laffo: I think I’m good on A/P ministers after current government, good for life even.

Edit: In terms of the incoming cabinet, the safe bet is JV PM continuing being a PM, and ~half of ministries for JV.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 25, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think we'll have 8-11 parties in the parliament – ideally just 8, since NA, ZZS, and S! already means plenty of trash in the chairs. My own predictions would be >25% for JV, >10% for NA, AS, and PRO. The government coalition would then have 2 basic options – JV, AS, either PRO or NA, and A/P if that wasn't enough for a majority. I can't imagine anyone working with ZZS or S, or S!, and, similarly, NA and PRO entering the same coalition seems untenable. I think NA will be more skilled at selling out to get into the coalition, but PRO is quite popular in Riga, and that alone may carry them in a tiebreaker.

That's a sensible and very realistic prediction, I think. I'd suspect that NA will be boosted a bit further ahead of AS and PRO than the polls show, though. Optimistically, I'd expect PRO to get between 9 and 11 seats.

edit: opened Twitter after posting, first thing to jump at me was this.

Translation: Do you agree that human lives should be protected from the moment of conception?

https://twitter.com/Pexiss/status/1574048665915695106

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 25, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well that's surprising

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm currently trying to track down if there have been any PRO or NA interviews about entering into a coalition with the other. Kariņš is currently not at all selling me the idea that JV is interested in a coalition with AS, if the sworn in MPs have familiar faces, like Didzis Šmits from KPV. Under the assumption that JV has a red line not just for ZZS, but also for AS, coalition talks get quite spicier. If we assume that JV and NA get 35% combined, they would need to find another 15% to form a government, and I don't think that A/P, and possibly K, is going to give them that. This would mean brokering a peace between PRO and NA/K, which would be really interesting to watch them selling. Even more spectacular would be an election outcome where JV-NA-A/P cannot form a government, K doesn't enter the parliament, and JV-NA-PRO is numerically sufficient for a government.

a podcast for cats posted:

That's a sensible and very realistic prediction, I think. I'd suspect that NA will be boosted a bit further ahead of AS and PRO than the polls show, though. Optimistically, I'd expect PRO to get between 9 and 11 seats.

edit: opened Twitter after posting, first thing to jump at me was this.

Translation: Do you agree that human lives should be protected from the moment of conception?

https://twitter.com/Pexiss/status/1574048665915695106

Very convenient of this website to gather all suspects in one place, and even interrogate them accordingly. Someone from Harmony should check out what's their peer club nowadays.

edit: Predictably, my dad's response to the suggestion of "check PRO and JV, maybe A/P if you hate both, maaaaybe AS if you hate the 3 of them" was “son, these PRO guys are the only one's worth reading here”. Makes sense, really, if you consider the place of the LSDSP cinematic universe in the Latgalian heartland.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peculiarly, or perhaps not so given my earlier critique of PRO's immigration policy, I've not been able to find anything that would suggest red lines with NA – only with S, LKS, and “populist demagogues” (I assume everything below S! on ratings, K excluding, with ZZS and AS under question mark). In that case, depending on how well JV performs, the government coalition could be as small as JV-NA-PRO. Admittedly, this is a reach, but adding A/P to that doesn't change substance. However, in that case they'll have to beg the opposition for votes on their social agenda, e.g., ratification of the Istanbul convention, which wouldn't work well in the best of times. And this really isn't the best of times, as far as cooperativeness of the opposition is concerned.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 26, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Are there any obvious candidates on the PRO ballot that would deserve the strike? I'm completely ignoring the Latvian twittersphere so maybe there's dumb stuff I'm missing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Are there any obvious candidates on the PRO ballot that would deserve the strike? I'm completely ignoring the Latvian twittersphere so maybe there's dumb stuff I'm missing.

Assuming Rīga ballot, Edgars Labsvīrs. https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/valsts-kontrole-versas-policija-par-aizsargmasku-iepirkumu-covid-19-krize.a367774/
I believe this criminal investigation against him is still open, I remember seeing a piece mentioning that roughly a month ago.

That said, I plan to research my strikes and marks in more detail on Thursday-Friday.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/eurasianet/status/1574161069861380098

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

During the last hours the fragile ceasefire has again broken. It might again be settled, but I fear that one of these flashes will lead to the resumption of general war.

https://twitter.com/cavidaga/status/1575152846621884416?s=20&t=q1-QL7db-zrJoGiv6WYsew

https://twitter.com/faytuks/status/1575155030080065539?s=12&t=z1kJXq0Ua9aM5KMha4M5Nw

https://twitter.com/ArmeniaMODTeam/status/1575159302561697793?s=20&t=kjhYW1_ABERccK-FkVnokA

I don't believe that they would launch the offensive on the same day that the US is attempting intensive diplomacy, but we'll see.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

I don't believe that they would launch the offensive on the same day that the US is attempting intensive diplomacy, but we'll see.

That's possibly assuming too centralized control over decisions. Fanaticism has many advantages in the lower ranks, but one very important disadvantage that has been noted time and again is that if people believe that their cause is just and right to the level of almost being divinely ordained, they don't want to stop just because their superiors tell them to, and they will find or manufacture causes to start poo poo up again whether it makes sense or no.

If we know anything about the Azeri military, they really do seem to be pretty fanatical. (See, for example, the guy who murdered the Armenian guy during a NATO exercise.)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tuna-Fish posted:

That's possibly assuming too centralized control over decisions. Fanaticism has many advantages in the lower ranks, but one very important disadvantage that has been noted time and again is that if people believe that their cause is just and right to the level of almost being divinely ordained, they don't want to stop just because their superiors tell them to, and they will find or manufacture causes to start poo poo up again whether it makes sense or no.

If we know anything about the Azeri military, they really do seem to be pretty fanatical. (See, for example, the guy who murdered the Armenian guy during a NATO exercise.)

This is for sure true, but I'm guessing its not an independent operation if it used heavy artillery.

They're doing a bit of an troll game now, where they invade a few feet, set up positions, and then tell Armenia that they won't leave as there is no official border recognized between Armenia and Azerbaijan (as Karabakh is in the way). The end result is an invasion by 1000 cuts over several months.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/edgarsdrusts/status/1575411219699212289

lmao

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I can't read that so I'm going to assume it's an ad for a vape pen that is flavored like a gas leak.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't read that so I'm going to assume it's an ad for a vape pen that is flavored like a gas leak.

Heating flavored vape pen, close enough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s the most popular vape brand here, and the meme is riffing on the galore of sometimes frankly odd flavours available with what Archazel said

I think the most popular one is banana or something? Known flavoured thing, bananas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Bananas have a distinct flavour, although it's also worth noting that the artificial banana flavour in candies etc. is based on a cultivar that got killed by Panama disease in the 1960's, so it's nothing like our current Cavendish.

Now if it was potato flavour...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Are you besmirching the taste of a staple food? I'll have you know that my Linda potatoes are very flavourfull.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Bananas have a distinct flavour, although it's also worth noting that the artificial banana flavour in candies etc. is based on a cultivar that got killed by Panama disease in the 1960's, so it's nothing like our current Cavendish.

i was aware of the gros michel but didn't know it was used in runts' awful banana candy. lol i'm glad they're all dead

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was getting some shopping done yesterday and noticed this super ancient granny luging a big bag of shopping, so I offered to help her carry it home. As we were walking down the street, she started to percolate her worldview, and it of course turned out she was super racist (all Germans are evil demons because they murdered my family in camps) and pro-PiS (current non-PiS progressive mayor of Warsaw is "worst ever"). I couldn't nope out of this for 20 minutes as she was stopping every 3 steps to share more pearls of wisdom. Even in the very downtown of Warsaw, from people supposedly of the legendary "inteligencja" you get this poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mokotow posted:

I couldn't nope out of this for 20 minutes as she was stopping every 3 steps to share more pearls of wisdom. Even in the very downtown of Warsaw, from people supposedly of the legendary "inteligencja" you get this poo poo.

it is okay to be rude to old fascists hth

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Brains rot with age. I see it with my family, people that never held any extreme opinions start sharing such nuggets of wisdom like "let's not vote for PiS (yay) because Kaczyński is a Jew (huh?)".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

i was aware of the gros michel but didn't know it was used in runts' awful banana candy. lol i'm glad they're all dead

Banana candy doesn't taste like Gros Michel either, even if it's a popular myth, it tastes like isoamyl acetate which is used as generic banana flavorant because it's dirt cheap and is contained in both banana cultivars, but obviously layered with other flavors that are missing in the candy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

I was getting some shopping done yesterday and noticed this super ancient granny luging a big bag of shopping, so I offered to help her carry it home. As we were walking down the street, she started to percolate her worldview, and it of course turned out she was super racist (all Germans are evil demons because they murdered my family in camps) and pro-PiS (current non-PiS progressive mayor of Warsaw is "worst ever"). I couldn't nope out of this for 20 minutes as she was stopping every 3 steps to share more pearls of wisdom. Even in the very downtown of Warsaw, from people supposedly of the legendary "inteligencja" you get this poo poo.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

it is okay to be rude to old fascists hth

I realise it's a shitpost, but that's a loaded can of worms right there when there is the faintest hint of ethnic or religious tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a podcast for cats posted:

I realise it's a shitpost, but that's a loaded can of worms right there when there is the faintest hint of ethnic or religious tension.

would that have the same public conflict as a black man refusing to carry the groceries of a white woman in the 50s south?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)