Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kirios posted:

Is it really so demanding that it needs the M1? Just seems like a lovely way to upsell people.

Like most things Apple, it’s a bit of A bit of B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I would gladly take monitor support over a stupid version of task manager that's on the left side instead of the bottom as Bill Windows intended.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

They’re now bringing stage manager to older iPad Pros, but a finger curled on the monkey’s paw and now external monitor support, which is the only good thing about it, won’t ship at launch and will still be M1 exclusive when it does.

I thought the external monitor support was just disabled in the latest beta? Was it confirmed that they are releasing iPadOS 16 final with it turned off?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kirios posted:

Is it really so demanding that it needs the M1? Just seems like a lovely way to upsell people.

I think the older chips actually don’t have the architecture needed for multiple separate displays.

Last Chance posted:

I thought the external monitor support was just disabled in the latest beta? Was it confirmed that they are releasing iPadOS 16 final with it turned off?

Apparently external monitor stuff is pushed back till “later in the year” according to the tech blogs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

I think the older chips actually don’t have the architecture needed for multiple separate displays.

A12z in DTK was able to drive two monitors if i remember correctly.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is paying for Applecare+ generally recommended? Someone mentioned it up thread and in general I thought those kinds of extended warranty programs were sort of a ripoff. Is the Apple one different?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is paying for Applecare+ generally recommended? Someone mentioned it up thread and in general I thought those kinds of extended warranty programs were sort of a ripoff. Is the Apple one different?

Yes, AppleCare is the exception to the rule. They don’t give you poo poo about using it, it’s easy to use however you’d like, and it’s useful for stuff that’s likely to happen (battery replacements, cosmetic damage). It’s fairly priced as well.

The reason to not get it is if you have preexisting good coverage (credit card benefits, living in a country with very strong consumer rights like an EU state).

E: most extended warranties are sold by a retailer who did not make the product and is trying to increase profit margin. In contrast AppleCare is sold by apple themselves and they have tons of data about the product and its lifetime wear and tear. They still make a profit off you buying it, of course, but their motive is to protect the Apple brand as quality devices with excellent support and long-lasting usability. It’s in their interests to give you that premium experience.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 28, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've used AppleCare on various products and never had an issue. Hell, one time, the guy at the store thought how I broke the screen on my MacBook was funny and processed it as a warranty replacement rather than a customer failure, saving me $700.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

The Grumbles posted:

Apparently external monitor stuff is pushed back till “later in the year” according to the tech blogs.

On one level I do understand it, stage manager still feels undercooked and crashy on an external monitor. On the other, ffs I just set up a new desk/monitor to really take advantage of this feature that now may or may not come out before Christmas. Back to the MacBook I guess.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I’ve got it on my phone, but my iPad is never in the same sorts of precarious situations so I let it pass me by.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

On one level I do understand it, stage manager still feels undercooked and crashy on an external monitor. On the other, ffs I just set up a new desk/monitor to really take advantage of this feature that now may or may not come out before Christmas. Back to the MacBook I guess.

Yeah same, I was ready to go all in on this being my work computer. But honestly having tried using it in the beta it’s nowhere near ready, from either a stability or a design standpoint

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve got it on my phone, but my iPad is never in the same sorts of precarious situations so I let it pass me by.

That's sort of where I'm at with this ipad. I bought a case for it, but that's mainly so I can prop it up.

I have a few more weeks to decide, I guess. I'd be more worried some fluke thing happens than I drop it in the toilet or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one time I had to replace an iPad was because I knocked if off the counter and it hit the tile on the corner.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The one time I had to replace an iPad was because I knocked if off the counter and it hit the tile on the corner.

Most tablets aren't really built with falling on their corners. They're usually fine if they fall on their face or on their back, sans the glass fracturing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Most tablets aren't really built with falling on their corners. They're usually fine if they fall on their face or on their back, sans the glass fracturing.
Right, my point is that poo poo can happen even if you never take it anywhere

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
If you have kids then definitely get the Applecare, if just for the peace of mind for when they use it! The Applecare also covers pencil and keyboard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Original_Z posted:

If you have kids then definitely get the Applecare, if just for the peace of mind for when they use it! The Applecare also covers pencil and keyboard.

IF you buy them all at the same time (pad, pencil/keyboard, AppleCare)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for the info on Applecare!

Is there an app that would let me open CBR files right out of a Google drive? Right now I'm doing it in a way that can't be the best way by saving a copy of the file into my files, then importing it into a comic reading app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there an app that would let me open CBR files right out of a Google drive? Right now I'm doing it in a way that can't be the best way by saving a copy of the file into my files, then importing it into a comic reading app.

Panels will let you pull straight from Dropbox and Google Drive

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

101 posted:

Panels will let you pull straight from Dropbox and Google Drive

It seems like that feature requires a monthly subscription, which sucks because I can just do what I've been doing for free, it's just very tedious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

A less tedious way with Panels would just be to use the webserver and your computer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We're looking to phase out MacBooks at work and we've got some holdouts that refuse to go to Windows. I can make them if I must but since we support iPads already... How viable would getting a 1tb M1 iPad 12.9 Pro (for memory) with magic keyboard and pencil be for a work computer? These people mostly use 365 apps with some one-offs that do have iPad support. Now that Stage Manager is a thing I'm hoping it can be an okay replacement. I'm trying to meet these people in the middle (white glove folks of course) and give them an "OS" we already maintain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I highly doubt they’d go for it. Like it could work I guess but I doubt they’d want it to be their daily driver.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That setup actually sounds great if they just use 365. There’s even decent Bluetooth mouse support on iPads nowadays.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Mousing on iPads is atrocious

The General
Mar 4, 2007

anothergod posted:

iPads [are] atrocious

Fixed that for you, and the fact that iPads are better than the Android alternatives is just sad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kirios posted:

We're looking to phase out MacBooks at work and we've got some holdouts that refuse to go to Windows. I can make them if I must but since we support iPads already... How viable would getting a 1tb M1 iPad 12.9 Pro (for memory) with magic keyboard and pencil be for a work computer? These people mostly use 365 apps with some one-offs that do have iPad support. Now that Stage Manager is a thing I'm hoping it can be an okay replacement. I'm trying to meet these people in the middle (white glove folks of course) and give them an "OS" we already maintain.

imo, iPadOS is just not as good as regular MacOS for office work (depending on what you are doing). But for example, just the fact that it doesn't show full filenames drives me crazy, like when you need to dl things from Dropbox, or iCloud or whatever. Hell, some websites are still not happy with iOS. Less every day, but if you run across a critical one you're hosed. Like, Smartsheet, which does have an iOS app but I think the website is better. I REALLY doubt Stage Manager is going to be more productive than good ol' Finder.

Tons of tiny details that could drive an old macbook curmudgeon to bludgeon

I mean it's worth a shot, it depends on what they do, but I'd rather get a full featured PC with W10 than work on an iPad. Tim Cook says he works on an iPad all day but I think he's probably just sending emails and such, not using excel and PDFs and regular grunt office work.

iPads are awesome for consuming content and maybe light office work

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I could be wrong but I feel like the type of person that refuses to use a normal windows laptop would be delighted at being given a top of the line iPad Pro even if it made them less efficient.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I could be wrong but I feel like the type of person that refuses to use a normal windows laptop would be delighted at being given a top of the line iPad Pro even if it made them less efficient.

You're almost perfectly describing them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kirios posted:

My iPad 9 replaced my Mac Mini, and the magic keyboard and trackpad are already compatible too.

The only drawbacks are some niche cases with trying to download images on some sites/apps, emulator support, torrent support, and popups not working right in Safari. That's it. And there's the all-in-one aspect: microphones are integrated, webcam is integrated, Bluetooth is integrated... it has good battery life, light weight, Face ID, stylus support, non-goofy case compatibility, and you may laugh, but a touch screen... which not every laptop, AIO, or monitor has.

Also, if your company isn't using Windows 11, then those holdouts are the smart ones.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 30, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kirios posted:

Stage Manager is still fiddlier than just either using a desktop/laptop or an iPad in regular iPad mode, but actually 365 apps are probably the best out of all the office stuff when it comes to their iPad versions. You can do things on it that you can't yet on Gdocs like opening two windows at a time. But otherwise, yeah, it's fine for people whose jobs just involve typing stuff into office programmes. I use my 11'' whenever I'm away from my desktop paired with a bluetooth keyboard and it's ideal. If I do work that involves lots of cross referencing between different documents/browser tabs/etc it's usually easier for me to just get on a real computer. An iPad with magic keyboard will hit the spot just fine for most people - the jury's just still out on Stage Manager. The hope is it'll be smoothed out by the time they release it, because it's a little temperamental at the moment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kirios posted:

I'm curious about why you're phasing out MacBooks but supporting iPads? They can be managed with virtually the same tools.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am not capable of making a PowerPoint without Thinkcell, so no deal for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stage Manager is just a Task Manager that's mounted on the left side instead of the bottom, in defiance of God and Bill Windows

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mister Facetious posted:

Stage Manager is just a Task Manager that's mounted on the left side instead of the bottom, in defiance of God and Bill Windows
The lack of a left-side taskbar is the main thing keeping me off Windows 11. It just makes screen-real-estate sense!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm curious about why you're phasing out MacBooks but supporting iPads? They can be managed with virtually the same tools.

A litany of reasons why but I won't bore folks with the details in here. It's irrelevant and the decision has been made (and with very good intentions). The reason we're supporting iPads is because we have folks out in the field with work trucks that need iPads with cellular capabilities to VPN in. So it's already a platform that we use Intune for, works well and is something people tend to be very happy with.

Regardless, I very much appreciate the feedback of everyone here. I'll probably order one and mess around with it to present it to a couple of the C-suite folks that would be interested in it. I can at least get buy-in and interest with this vs. an impressively resounding no with Windows laptops.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 30, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kirios posted:

A litany of reasons why but I won't bore folks with the details in here.

Honestly I'm always fascinated how corps come to certain decisions so :justpost: if you want to

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It’s also resizing and overlapping windows, which is a bit broken at the moment

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, i really don't see the point of it without external monitor support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

101 posted:

Honestly I'm always fascinated how corps come to certain decisions so :justpost: if you want to