Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Moonscars's janky qualities have started to bother me more. Almost finished it, turns out it's only around 10 hours or less. Mostly I think this could be a Blasphemous situation, where as I recall on release there were some serious complaints about particular issues with controls/UI and stuff, and they ended up being fixed really seriously with patches.

A lot of my gripes are things that really could be fixable, but it adds up to being a little too frustrating.

-Flying enemies just hover around in idiotic spots with very few ways to deal with them, sometimes breaking completely
-not every single button needs a "hold for a second to confirm" function
-accessories and items absolutely need to be more visually distinguishable by color and stuff
-the game often won't register your movement after dialog and stuff, feels way too fiddly
-having to be in "moon hunger" mode (post-death, it's basically a slightly harder mode where enemies drop more money) to see certain collectibles just makes it feel like a punishment to be in the normal mode.
-the lategame relies way too heavily on enemies that require witchery to do any serious damage to them; there's just way too much time needed building up Ichor even after you've basically mastered their attack patterns

I guess that last one gets to maybe the most serious actual design problem though: most of the spells in the game are not very good, interesting, or fun. It's just not rewarding to spend so much mana on most of these spells when they are so slow to cast, leaving you vulnerable, and not doing enough damage to justify themselves. Enemies that are resistant to non-witchery damage end up seeming like a crutch here. They could be used cleverly to reward players for not just tunnel-visioning on physical damage, but by the end it seems more like they're requiring you to cast spells because otherwise the spell system would be useless and ignored by most players.

Unfortunately the spell system also accounts for like 90% of the value of money in the game, so the money starts to feel pretty pointless.

I think there's a lot of good stuff here that could be tweaked to make the game genuinely really solid. I think the dev team is pretty small and new, so I get it, and hope they're able to keep working on it. sidenote: it's unfortunately annoying to google the dev, Black Mermaid, given recent very stupid controversy over the Little Mermaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Played about an hour of Prodeus and it seems like the real deal. It reminds me of all those grimy freeware Doom clones I would download back in the 90s, in a good way. Feels a bit easy on Medium difficulty but I'm not particularly looking for a challenge.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

1glitch0 posted:

That's fair. Can you play by yourself or do you have to do multiplayer? I thought it was single player but the latest thing I saw made it seem like it was a group thing.

Yah you can make a server and have a few people join I think. I might give it another go but was just not feeling it at the time. Looks very cool though and the graphics look really nice, great style to it.

I don’t think survival/crafting games are my thing due to gaming ADD or something

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Prodeus is great but the respawn system becomes detrimental (IMO) later on in the game when death starts to become an inevitability, since you have no opportunity to redo encounters without restarting the (sometimes very long) map. I guess they want to preserve the sanctity of the leaderboards but I'd rather be able to play unranked and have either manual saving or a proper checkpoint system.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any chance Call of Duty will be coming to Game Pass upon the launch of MW2?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

univbee posted:

It was in zombie mode, where Google was vehemently denying reports of this but also not really acquiring any new titles or new users to the service. The writing's been on the wall basically since before it launched and they were just in denial mode about it because the C-levels calling the shots kept it going for their fat bonuses and didn't mind setting $69 billion on fire or whatever they invested in it.

Apparently the official announcement was how a few studios actively developing for Stadia found out that the shop is closing for purchases 2 weeks before their game launches.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hot Wheels was on the store for like 4 hours before it got shut down.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I bet the following one will though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Played about an hour of Prodeus and it seems like the real deal. It reminds me of all those grimy freeware Doom clones I would download back in the 90s, in a good way. Feels a bit easy on Medium difficulty but I'm not particularly looking for a challenge.

My only beef with Prodeus is that the respawn system basically makes it so there is zero challenge at all. Everything you killed always stays dead. Blasting stuff in it is just so much fun I barely care, but I am baffled that the final version retained that system. I Played it first like a year ago and assumed it was some early access placeholder.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You're supposed to beat the levels without dying once OP.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Blue Raider posted:

I bet the following one will though

It probably depends on contracts that no one knows the specifics of outside of the parties involved. AFAIK Microsoft hasn’t even finalized the purchase, but they have said they will be honoring previously agreed upon commitments between Activision and Sony, like how Sony got an early beta weekend for MW2 while Xbox didn’t.

Like, I would not bet that anything changes anytime soon for CoD, but the next one isn’t releasing until 2024 anyway as they’re moving off yearly iterations, soooo that might be one point for it to be on GamePass?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

American McGay posted:

You're supposed to beat the levels without dying once OP.

What a dumb post.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Is prodeus just doom?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basically, but it's just got really satisfying shooting and a really cool retro/modern hybrid style. It's kind of like what you'd imagine Doom would be like in the future as a child in the early 90's. But yeah all the enemies and guns are basically just Doom.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Seltzer posted:

Is prodeus just doom?

It reminds me of one of those other-developer Doom type games that was slightly more ambitious and hit kinda weirdly, but you played the poo poo out of the demo on the PC Gamer CD. If that makes sense. But it's a magic one that plays really well. "What if CyClones didn't suck?" Prodeus.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

It reminds me of one of those other-developer Doom type games that was slightly more ambitious and hit kinda weirdly, but you played the poo poo out of the demo on the PC Gamer CD. If that makes sense. But it's a magic one that plays really well. "What if CyClones didn't suck?" Prodeus.

Heretic/Hexen? With Microsoft buying Activision they will own the publishing rights held by id and the developing rights held by Activision. Maybe we'll get a new one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Is prodeus just doom?

It's what a child would've imagined in their mind's eye upon seeing a screenshot of Doom in a magazine

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mem posted:

Heretic/Hexen? With Microsoft buying Activision they will own the publishing rights held by id and the developing rights held by Activision. Maybe we'll get a new one.

I swear I remember Phil wearing a hexen shirt years ago.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mem posted:

They need to do a remaster of Heretic II. Not even necessarily new graphics or anything, it's just one of those games that's extraordinarily difficult to get working on modern systems due to the archaic technical backend tech it relies on.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

again, is it the rapper? friend of mr muthafuckin eXquire?

no, but it would not surprise me if despot made a video game before finally putting out a full album

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any chance Call of Duty will be coming to Game Pass upon the launch of MW2?

It will probably come to Game Pass the day after the Activision purchase closes.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I just noticed RE7 uses the Japanese game logo if you look at it in your achievements. Everywhere else in the UI it shows the US one. Weird.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I am absolutely charmed by Beacon Pines. It's so cozy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

John F Bennett posted:

I am absolutely charmed by Beacon Pines. It's so cozy.

I was kind of surprised by where it's willing to go. Like, I'm enjoying the hell out of it but it's not at all the game I thought it was for the first half hour or so.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Toaster Beef posted:

I was kind of surprised by where it's willing to go. Like, I'm enjoying the hell out of it but it's not at all the game I thought it was for the first half hour or so.

It's like 90% a game for toddlers and 10% not.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

again, is it the rapper? friend of mr muthafuckin eXquire?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no, but it would not surprise me if despot made a video game before finally putting out a full album

Huzzah!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have sunk shitloads of time into Frostpunk. I still have 10 achievements to go (1015/1390). The expansion is worth it, if you really dig the base game.

I'll be sinking a shitload of time into Frostpunk 2 when it comes out.

E: wrong thread but I'll leave it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 30, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Is prodeus just doom?

it's the heir to the original DOOM that all other boomershooters the past few years have tried to be, it owns.

That Moonscars game seems like it's just another pixel soulslike aping Dark Souls pixel games i.e. has combat that isn't that great, terrible mechanics that punish you for dying, very drab world that I feel I've seen before in another 100 of these loving pixelsouls games. The combat and overall navigation just doesn't feel unique, and what is unique is generally just ways to piss you off i.e. moonrot death thing, boring skills, that doppelganger poo poo. Not helping that the story and narrative is the same kind of weirdly opaque story with hidden pasts and not explaining much to you. Organically telling the story instead of doing exposition dumps is cool but the rate at which devs have felt "everything needs to have the same mysterious and clandestine 'lore mining' as From games" is the Only Way has been very fatiguing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah moonscars just looked and felt like every other darksoulsvania from what I played. Nice pixel art but meh

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think its art style ends up distinguishing itself well. The level design and combat are pretty solid too. idk, it seems like every time a game like this comes out a lot of people immediately say they all look the same. It's definitely not gonna make you like the genre if you weren't into it already

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Prodeus is the Sonic Mania of Doom.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

wa27 posted:

Finally someone gets it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

:hmmyes:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Prodeus has a Vietnam memorial for kickstarter backers.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

American McGay posted:

:signings:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

o7

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

American McGay posted:

semper games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Theres a second, higher tier backers memorial area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

American McGay posted:

I just got to that level and it took me a bit to figure out what I was looking at.