Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Anybody here have an opinion on Pagan: Fate of Roanoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Spent $200 on it, so people better only say nice things.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jove posted:

It's very hard as a casual player to get to grips with the non mechanical decision making, especially around all the bluff mechanics. Mechanically it's very easy to understand how to play and a very smooth system, but it feels like it'll take a serious number of plays to understand the importance of each set of decisions you make.

It is a good time but you can easily stymie yourself by not keeping some enemy board removal cards available, and there's not a lot of them in the basic decks.

I've enjoyed playing it and would recommend it, but do treat it more like a cool card based boardgame than an LCG.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I got the Angmar campaign box and I do not understand why they make the box so god drat big. It's as large as Spirit Island and has a big plastic tray, and all the cards that come in it only fill up about 1/5 of it. If you put in all the player cards from the Angmar cycles you might fill around half of it. At least this one works as storage though, the player card box didn't (and was also about 6x as large as it needed to be).

e: also I'm annoyed it didn't come with any nice dividers like the "Return to" boxes in Arkham lcg had.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 2, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

How's the new campaign structure? Does it feel anything like an Arkham Horror campaign?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, and probably won't for some time as I prefer to go through it normally first. There's no story branching choices like in Arkham and without an xp system there's not a reason to do much deckbuilding through the campaign. Most scenarios give you a chance to get boon cards by basically completing a side quest, either permanents that start in play attached to a specific hero or just powerful cards to add to your deck. There is a lot more story to it than earlier cycles, including an epilogue so the story actually finishes.

I've never played campaign mode before so I thought I'd look up the rules for it in the campaign guide, but that just says to refer to the learn to play rulebook. It does not mention that these rules are only in the revised core set rulebook, and the original rulebook is still what comes up in a google search for lotr learn to play, so that was also annoying.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Do Ghost Spider and Spiderman both need to be in alter ego to play Young Love? It seems unplayable if that is the case.

Not bad, literally impossible to play 99% of the time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It can be played with heroes or ally cards. It can also be triggered when Miles plays his dual identity card and flips, before he flips back.

It’s specific in its use case, but it’s also three times better than first aid and costs the same.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Cyclops deck got leaked in full thanks to broken street date in EU, lol.

Looks solid enough. How good Peni ended up being compared to how cautious I was means that I like to hold my judgement a bit more before I actually get some games out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Marked feels like an amazing card frame when you cares about overkill, whereas the upgrade that gives minions minus attack is super good versus collector. stand there and bash yourself to defeat against Captain America shield!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah the minus attack from Minions looked awesome to me. Opens up some new options where it’s fine to let minions sit on the board.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Make a custom campaign! Be creative!

Absolutely no custom cards.

Lawyers ruin everything.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CitizenKeen posted:

Make a custom campaign! Be creative!

Absolutely no custom cards.

Lawyers ruin everything.

My thoughts exactly, but at the same time all it would take is someone just submitting some custom thing they copied from all those creators out there for there to be some kind of big tuff over who owns/created the third party stuff originally. I have a friend in copyright law and I never bothered to ask him what the rules are regarding what's pretty much the same idea as Skyrim mods.

Also ditto what was said regarding Cyclops. Having an overkill attachment is very helpful for the "excess damage" theme.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Storm preview today. Finally, leadership cards and leadership X-Men!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
One of the little things that I found very exciting was that the Forge ally specifically mentions X-Force allies in addition to X-Men ones. Can't wait for Cable! Hopefully not Kid Cable, although I wouldn't mind seeing other newer characters, like Hope, in that line-up.

Storm herself looks pretty good. Another mode changing hero but this time her modes have board-wide effects which is pretty fun.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I know they’re all in on X-Men, but if there was ever a time for a Black Panther Protection Ally, I think it’s now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Storm gonna be an interesting character to get used to, but I can see her being a really good justice or protection deck as well. I'll pick that pack up regardless because those Leadership cards are gonna be way too good not to slip into a Cyclops deck.

I'm like 95% sure the last 2 will be Gambit and Rogue.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Jove posted:

I got my copy a few months ago and love playing it when I get the chance. Artwork is top notch, it's hella fun to play and after a few sessions, a typical game takes around 30-45 mins (which is important to know as getting to grips with it in the beginning makes the game feel way slower and analytically methodical than it actually is). Once you've got the hang of it, it's basically an extremely polished asymmetrical deduction based battle of wits and very deserving of it's Android: Netrunner comparisons. Also - and this is massively to it's credit - similar to A:NR, you never feel cheated by lack of options in your approach to playing.

Basically, get Pagan. Pagan owns. The Discord channel is super friendly and welcoming too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mutant Genesis fully spoiled it seems.

Feels like Aggression is getting a buff simply by there being a lot of minion heavy sets and those minions having long life bars.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is it with the big box heroes not getting Hero Allies?

Only Spider-Woman and Hawkeye did - the six big box heroes (plus Colossus and Kitty Pryde) don't have built-in allies. And other than Venom, all the non-big box heroes do.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

What is it with the big box heroes not getting Hero Allies?

Only Spider-Woman and Hawkeye did - the six big box heroes (plus Colossus and Kitty Pryde) don't have built-in allies. And other than Venom, all the non-big box heroes do.

They expect people to play the heroes together and the ally would end up a dead card in that situation. They instead give a grey version that is really powerful but requires having a matching trait so you can include the ally if you aren't playing two-player with an obvious team-up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

KPC_Mammon posted:

They expect people to play the heroes together and the ally would end up a dead card in that situation. They instead give a grey version that is really powerful but requires having a matching trait so you can include the ally if you aren't playing two-player with an obvious team-up.

That seems short sighted. Also ignore me: Kitty Pryde is a Colossus ally.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spectrum and Adam warlock both received hero allies; Blue marvel and Pitt(?) the troll.

Rocket and Groot didn’t, neither did the the web warriors. So we have two boxes with, two without, one 50-50.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I guess I am bad at counting things on marvelcdb.com

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Head's up if you're pre-ordering in Canada. Looks like Phoenix has been delayed to Oct 28th.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Where’d you find that at? It’s hard to find any news about Canadian release dates because all the online sites I use tend to never actually list the date.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Lion Rampant seems to be the Canadian exclusive distributor. I saw a mention on FB about an LGS stating there was a delay, so I went and had a look: https://www.lionrampantimports.com/marvel-champions-lcg-phoenix-hero-pack-oct-28-2022-ffgmc34en

Kinda sucks, but at least I didn't pre-order before I heard about it. I need the new stuff for my channel to be relevant, lol. Shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCivsbnAjLniR_vAifqQ1u0Q.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
todays the day for muties

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So it seems the last two heroes in this X-Men cycle are confirmed as Rogue and Gambit thanks to FFG putting out dividers as promos, two of which feature them in addition to all previously released heroes and villains.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My Cyclops came in, but X-Men and Phoenix are still processing. Had to go with someone else for Cyclops as my local store was sold out of his preorders. The place across the country shipped so it would get here on release day whereas my local place didn't start processing my order until today.

Gambit might charge up like Captain Marvel. I'll be curious how they handle Rogue. If they make her superman by default or if she starts weak and has to absorb powers to get better, and if it weakens her target at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I assume she'll be able to siphon ally atk/thw for the turn or something similar.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would suspect that she'll have the powers from Carol as an upgrade, something that gives her aerial and +1 ATK. The power siphon thing is interesting because mechanically you wouldn't want to force her into having to run and maintain a bunch of allies as that would kind of limit her design and we really haven't seen any heroes do that. You'd ideally want her to stand on her own, but have stuff in her kit that lets her take advantage of them, so maybe some kind of design where you can exhaust allies as an additional cost to playing her attacks/thwarts/defense cards for extra stats. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what they do with her as she, compared to most of the other heroes, should have a really radically different playstyle.

Gambit should be pretty easy in that you should be able to do something like spend an energy resource to give him a charge counter, and then all his attack cards let you blow those counters for extra damage.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It seems pretty obvious that The Southerners were next. They were in the campaign comic book alongside wolverine.

Rogue could theoretically just debuff the villain to buff herself. There’s also the idea of her getting recursion from her discard pile, doing a lot of flying, and getting a lot of tough status cards.

Gambit could do literally anything, he’s a card guy and it’s a card game. Looking at the encounter deck is a common custom theme, looking at the prices of cards and building poker hands, putting cards up his sleeve, using the staff and the fact that he’s a thief… odds are 60% that his alter ego quote is something like “the X-Men or heroes. I’m thief.” And 80% that the hero quote is "The gentleman assumes the pot is his to win... but I have a literal ace up my sleeve."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

It seems pretty obvious that The Southerners were next. They were in the campaign comic book alongside wolverine.

Rogue could theoretically just debuff the villain to buff herself. There’s also the idea of her getting recursion from her discard pile, doing a lot of flying, and getting a lot of tough status cards.

Gambit could do literally anything, he’s a card guy and it’s a card game. Looking at the encounter deck is a common custom theme, looking at the prices of cards and building poker hands, putting cards up his sleeve, using the staff and the fact that he’s a thief… odds are 60% that his alter ego quote is something like “the X-Men or heroes. I’m thief.” And 80% that the hero quote is "The gentleman assumes the pot is his to win... but I have a literal ace up my sleeve."

Alter Ego flavor text: It not you.

Hero Flavor text: It Gambit.

I like your idea of having Gambit meta game the deck, that would be pretty cool. Actually a thematic tie-in, since he throws cards might be to make it so rather than charging up via a counter system, he can just add ATK to any attack by (literally throwing cards)discarding cards from your hand.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
wild to not do deadpool but maybe he gets his own thing

how do you get promo dividers

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Alter Ego flavor text: It not you.

Hero Flavor text: It Gambit.

I like your idea of having Gambit meta game the deck, that would be pretty cool. Actually a thematic tie-in, since he throws cards might be to make it so rather than charging up via a counter system, he can just add ATK to any attack by (literally throwing cards)discarding cards from your hand.

Someone made a gambit who did more damage if you physically threw the cards 😂

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

John Romero posted:

wild to not do deadpool but maybe he gets his own thing

how do you get promo dividers

I had preordered from Boardlandia and the dividers were included. I don't know what I did to get them other than that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Boy, Colossus kinda sucks. I’m going to switch his aspect but I think they whiffed hard on him, especially if they wanted him as a defensive aspect main. His def stat at only 2 means that even with the armour on him he usually might take hits if he blocks. Not great when you want to keep tough cards on. Then i realized looking at his core set of cards, he has zero cards for dealing with threat. All his threat removal comes from aspect cards.

That just makes defensive play for him even worse because defence as it is doesn’t deal with threat great. Look at Drax where he can still some decent thwart if you keep up his tokens properly.

I’m gonna switch him to aggression and probably switch Shadowcat to defence. I think a lot of people are going to sour on Colossus. He’s going to take a bit of work to make good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You might want him in justice, for the card draw and thw. Alternately, you might wanna use the zero cost defense event so he’s technically defending and can trigger unflappable, because he defended and didn’t take damage. The campaign has some truly nasty boost effects.

Remember, the flip on solid is optional, the flip on phased is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Boy, Colossus kinda sucks. I’m going to switch his aspect but I think they whiffed hard on him, especially if they wanted him as a defensive aspect main. His def stat at only 2 means that even with the armour on him he usually might take hits if he blocks. Not great when you want to keep tough cards on. Then i realized looking at his core set of cards, he has zero cards for dealing with threat. All his threat removal comes from aspect cards.

That just makes defensive play for him even worse because defence as it is doesn’t deal with threat great. Look at Drax where he can still some decent thwart if you keep up his tokens properly.

I’m gonna switch him to aggression and probably switch Shadowcat to defence. I think a lot of people are going to sour on Colossus. He’s going to take a bit of work to make good.

Didn't you also hate Groot? Who was the last defense-oriented protection hero that you actually liked? Not counting heroes who smash things while in protection. It just feels like you don't like defending and that's OK. Not every playstyle is for every player.