Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Random rear end toaster oven is probably a thrift store trip.

I know but I had my last Black & Decker for 7 years before it decided to die. So I want something similar and new that will last another 7 years. Can't trust thrift stores for that.

E: I really liked it because it was great at reheating pizza or other leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I know but I had my last Black & Decker for 7 years before it decided to die. So I want something similar and new that will last another 7 years. Can't trust thrift stores for that.

E: I really liked it because it was great at reheating pizza or other leftovers.

I had a toaster oven that was passed down to me from my dad's college days and it worked for about 35 years until it went up in a ball of flame after my roommate left it on in grad school. I kinda miss that thing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I replaced the door gasket on my fridge but it's still filling with frankly unbelievable amounts of condensation.

any remedies? I'm on the verge of trying to put weatherstripping at the bottom

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

I replaced the door gasket on my fridge but it's still filling with frankly unbelievable amounts of condensation.

Do you have an infrared thermometer where you can go around the gasket and check for leaks?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lawnie posted:

https://www.homeandcooksales.com

All-Clad sells factory second and packaging damage pieces and sets once every month or two. Don’t get a nonstick set, either get a few individual stainless steel pieces like the previous poster said or go for a smaller set with 1 saucepan, 1 sauté pan, 1 frying pan, and maybe a stock pot if you don’t have one.

I’ve gotten several items from these sales and have never had any problem with them. The defects I’ve found are minuscule and not noticeable after a few uses, and packaging damage is utterly irrelevant to cookware quality.

Any thoughts on 3-ply vs 5-ply vs 7-ply?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

adnam posted:

I had a toaster oven that was passed down to me from my dad's college days and it worked for about 35 years until it went up in a ball of flame after my roommate left it on in grad school. I kinda miss that thing.

Let me guess!

He put something greasy in it without preheating it first?

E: Or forgot about it until it set on fire? This is why I don't don't let my husband use the toaster oven or the washer.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 28, 2022

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

Doesn't matter, get whatever floats your boat. It's the thickness of the conductive metal (aluminum or copper) that has an impact on the heat spread, not the number of layers. And even then, the differences are going to be unnoticeable for most. So get whatever suits your needs (Cost, Looks, styling, etc)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have an infrared thermometer where you can go around the gasket and check for leaks?

no, but it looks as though I can pick one up for like $15. hmm...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That flavor is probably a California thing, but just about anywhere Appalachia, or around, there will be a type of "pizza bread."

West Virginia has pepperpni bread specifically and a "pizza bagel" is surprisingly popular here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

no, but it looks as though I can pick one up for like $15. hmm...

They're handy to have around for checking pan temperatures, as well as HVAC registers if you suspect something isn't working right.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

7 isn't very long. Anything in the thrift will already be battle hardened and you could get 8 for a new low tier.

I really think it's an appliance like a blender, go big or embrace modern capitalism

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I've had a few cheap toaster ovens in the past, some die young and others go for years. Consumer electric goods are just a crapshoot that way, even the more expensive brands are no guarantee of longevity.

You're already familiar and satisfied with how your Black & Decker performed, just get another one unless you're okay with going significantly higher budget.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

7 isn't very long. Anything in the thrift will already be battle hardened and you could get 8 for a new low tier.

I really think it's an appliance like a blender, go big or embrace modern capitalism

yea more or less this, unless you're spending a significant premium (and sometimes still then) pretty much everything these days is junk, at least with a thrift shop appliance in good working condition the previous owner basically did the QC testing for you to prove it's not a dud

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 28, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

yea more or less this, unless you're spending a significant premium (and sometimes still then) pretty much everything these days is junk, at least with a thrift shop appliance in good working condition the previous owner basically did the QC testing for you to prove it's not a dud

That or the appliance killed the person and their kids dropped all their poo poo off at the thrift store. Who knows!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm certainly no expert but I would almost wonder if there's some other element of the fridge causing this issue. For example a blocked outlet from the freezer or something like that will often cause a ton of water to end up in the fridge. I also kinda wonder if whatever normally handles the dehumidification for the fridge compartment has failed or is blocked or etc. I wouldn't expect it to be so simple as the fridge seal no longer being complete at the door.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That's one solution. The slightly more blue collar approach is to go around the gasket closing the door on a dollar bill and see if you can slide it out.

If the gasket has already been replaced (and there isn't a puddle of rotting poo poo in the back of the crisper or something like that) then my next guess for excessive condensation would be a defroster on the fritz.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

At least for me, the next up from the Breville Smart Oven would be the Anova Precision Oven. But got to wait for the former to crap itself out so I can give myself an excuse to replace it. :chef:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you guys for recommending the aroma rice cooker. While testing it our after it came I made some rice just to test it and nothing stuck to the bottom!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

They're handy to have around for checking pan temperatures, as well as HVAC registers if you suspect something isn't working right.

honestly I've been holding out until I could afford one at ceramic temps. or that kind is being manufactured. I can't remember if I'm being cheap or waiting on tech.

I can certainly afford a kitchen one, though

VelociBacon posted:

I'm certainly no expert but I would almost wonder if there's some other element of the fridge causing this issue. For example a blocked outlet from the freezer or something like that will often cause a ton of water to end up in the fridge. I also kinda wonder if whatever normally handles the dehumidification for the fridge compartment has failed or is blocked or etc. I wouldn't expect it to be so simple as the fridge seal no longer being complete at the door.

well, poo poo. I just cleaned the easy vents and moved it to another part of the kitchen, but would it be worth taking the back off and loving around in there? or defrosting?

SubG posted:

If the gasket has already been replaced (and there isn't a puddle of rotting poo poo in the back of the crisper or something like that) then my next guess for excessive condensation would be a defroster on the fritz.

I've actually gotten rid of the crispers long since. how would I tell about the defroster? this fridge is 17 years old but it still works well enough that I'd just as soon keep Ship of Theseusing it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FaradayCage posted:

7 seems absurd, otherwise either is pretty much fine. 5-ply will have more thermal mass for the same size pan then 3-ply.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FaradayCage posted:

Didn't ATK test 7-ply and find that it was actually worse?

Also insert some sort of toilet paper joke here

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

FaradayCage posted:

I'm perfectly content with my 3-ply and when shopping for it couldn't find any compelling reason to go higher.

mystes posted:

Didn't ATK test 7-ply and find that it was actually worse?

That sounds familiar, but the 7-play isn't listed in their current breakdowns.

Since they paywall, here's skillets:

And cookware set:

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 29, 2022

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Are the air-fryer lids for the instant pot any good, or should I just spring for a whole new appliance? I'd rather not have another big hulkin' monstrosity taking up space in my cabinets if I can help it, but if that's the only way to get good results I'll take the plunge

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have a d5 saute pan because it was a factory 2nd from that sales website. works great. im sure a d3 would also be good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Are the air-fryer lids for the instant pot any good, or should I just spring for a whole new appliance? I'd rather not have another big hulkin' monstrosity taking up space in my cabinets if I can help it, but if that's the only way to get good results I'll take the plunge
The shape of an instant pot kind of sucks for actually air frying a significant amount of stuff at once, although I have a smaller one so it might be a bit better with a bigger one

If you have a toaster oven or something I would suggest trying to replace that with an air fryer instead if it will fit

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

This lady demos the Instant Pot lid vs dedicated unit, look at the user interfaces and experience and decide what direction makes more sense to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoxVIIYIpi8

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have an IP with the air fryer lid and it's simply okay. If you're limited on space, it might be worth it. If you have the space for a dedicated air fryer, then I'd do that. Keep in mind the air fryer lid for the IP is big and bulky. Not sure about the Ultra, which has an attached lid. If I had limited space I'd check out that route, although it has to be a pain to clean without a removable lid.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
o0o0o0o. It also has a coupon for the brand of brown rice I buy! It just gets better and better!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Not a Children posted:

I use it a lot. Like I make buffalo wings about 1x a week, get the frozen wings at Costco, use the pressure cook setting for 7 minutes i think the defrost, then air fry for like 9 minutes with some wing sauce in there.

I've never owned another air fryer though so I can't really compare it very well.

I got the 8 quart. One thing is the instant pot + the air fryer lid takes up a lot of vertical space, and the air fryer lid itself is pretty bulky. But it is only one appliance you are keeping on your counter, then just swapping lids.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t remember which thread had a goon saying that in their scandinavian country they take their flooring with them but this seems like a nightmare in comparison

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147592546926169390

Also you buy your bread unsliced and use a slicing machine at the grocery in Germany?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7147957861404970283

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 29, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

I can’t remember which thread had a goon saying that in their scandinavian country they take their flooring with them but this seems like a nightmare in comparison

Also you buy your bread unsliced and use a slicing machine at the grocery in Germany?

Can confirm on having to equip the whole kitchen in Germany (usually). Visited a friend there several years ago, and all of her cabinetry was hers. That said, apparently, Ikea is much better over there for cabinetry and the like - decent quality, not too expensive, and very modular/easy to install.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I have bought pre sliced bread in Berlin before. It's a total lie.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

You can buy the kitchen from the person who rented your apartment before, and sell it to the next person. If they are buying it. If they don't, you remove it in spite.

They have the bread slicer at whole foods here.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you cut your bread yourself using a machine in Germany, you have one of those collapsible bread slicers in a drawer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

Those fully automatic fingerbread slicers are operated by the minimum wage employees at the bakery counter. Or you can grab pre-sliced bread off the shelf, but it is stereotyped as the lowest quality of bread.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol they tried to make customers slice their own bread in the machine at a whole foods I went to and gave up on it within a couple of months

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

VictualSquid posted:

If you cut your bread yourself using a machine in Germany, you have one of those collapsible bread slicers in a drawer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

Whoa, that's.... a mini deli slicer in a drawer. Except if you used it for that it would be hell to clean. But I kinda want one now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I want to say that was a thing in some part of northern Italy when I was a kid but I can't place whether that was Germany or Italy. Definitely it was a normal thing to buy your bread and ask them to slice it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Russians just used a bread knife

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

"I got weird about ice cream at one point in my life"

Now I'm imagining parallel universe James Hoffman who is obsessed with ice cream rather than coffee
ok, in light of recent events I just have to update this to say that no parallel universe james hoffman could be as weird as our universe's james hoffman

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7148997660614085889

I will always be a knife person

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
why, this is the worst thing since sliced bread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lawnie posted:

7 seems absurd, otherwise either is pretty much fine. 5-ply will have more thermal mass for the same size pan then 3-ply.

Gotcha. How do you stay informed of when they offer factory seconds or damaged boxes? Are they posted under promotions? Do you just check it daily?