Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
lol

https://twitter.com/chrisbrownbills/status/1575870369579544576?s=46&t=Q8OlFmoY9TviVxyWq6zh_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

TheBizzness posted:

I f I may talk about the actual game for a minute, I think Waddle being out was more important to the offense going in the tank than the change at QB.

Teddy being mediocre is fine if Waddle is out there to attack the middle of the field and get YAC.
How could you do Tua dirty like this?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Symphoric posted:

Surprised people are still sticking up for McDaniel.

I disagree with fsif in that I believe he bears more blame than Tua does that's for sure.

He's a very young coach, but he made a big mistake that ended up having terrible and real ramifications.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ehud posted:

Protecting yourself is a skill as a QB and Tua is very bad at it.

Look no further than the hit that lead to all this poo poo.

He stood there with the ball forever! He should have thrown it away long before there was any risk of him being hit

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He could have at least just gone down once that defender had his hands on him. Tua's getting spun around and slammed to the ground and he's still looking for somewhere to throw the ball.

These young QBs man, they need to have it drilled into their heads that protecting themselves is their number one job.

Earlier in the game Burrow ran for like one yard and was really awkwardly trying to juke a defender and it looked like his knees were going to explode. For like one yard.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 30, 2022

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I don't think it's entirely mcdaniel's fault, but as much as one can argue that he needs to just trust his medical team, he also has the ability to overrule them in extreme cases. at the end of the day, this wasn't a question of whether or not to shut someone down early to have a season ending surgery for a non-serious injury. it was a question about whether or not he should have held tua out for a game or two early in the season as a precautionary measure.

I don't give a gently caress what the dolphins' medical team said about tua's back or whatever. mcdaniel has eyes and can watch the same replay everyone else saw from sunday and independently decide to play things safe to protect his player, and he could have done so without even throwing the medical team under the bus.

whatis fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2022

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

LOL Oh my god this team ....

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

fsif posted:

I think it was only me that stuck up for him. It's one thing to see the clip of Tua stumbling on Twitter and say he obviously had a concussion, but it's another thing when you have the player and a team of doctors that actually evaluated him tell you (with what I assume was some degree of confidence) that it wasn't a concussion.

On a human level, you'd hope that he would be able to look at Tua's collapse on Sunday and try grilling Tua and the medical staff more or sitting Tua on a short week as a precaution, but I still think he's relatively low on the individual culpability list.

If anyone on that medical team said with any confidence at all that Tua didn't have a concussion, not only that person should be fired and lose their medical license but every other doctor in the room who didn't speak up to correct that person should also be fired. It is not possible to definitively rule out a concussion with current medical technology without directly examining the brain, and no doctor worth their license will rule out a concussion following Tua's Sunday mechanism of injury and observed symptoms. An obvious failure of the protocol is that it doesn't require ruling out a concussion, it only requires failing to rule out an alternative explanation, which is a much lower standard of proof and almost certainly lead directly to the severity of Tua's injury last night.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

whatis posted:

I don't think it's entirely mcdaniel's fault, but as much as one can argue that he needs to just trust his medical team, he also has the ability to overrule them in extreme cases. at the end of the day, this wasn't a question of whether or not to shut someone down early to have a season ending surgery for a non-serious injury. it was a question about whether or not he should have held tua out for a game or two early in the season as a precautionary measure.

I don't give a gently caress what the dolphins' medical team said about tua's back or whatever. mcdaniel has eyes and can watch the same replay everyone else saw from sunday and independently decide to play things safe to protect his player, and he could have done so without even throwing the medical team under the bus.

Any system that requires an NFL head coach to make a medical decision to play or not play a player who wants to play, says he’s fine to play, and has been blessed by the actual medical professionals as fine to play is 100% guaranteed to fail.

Head coaches are just about the last people on earth who should be deciding if players are healthy. Aside from the obvious problems of them not being medical professionals and having severely misaligned incentives I have to imagine that it would cause some conflicts with the NFLPA to have a coach overruling both the player and the medical staff and not playing a guy while saying it’s for his own good. Especially if there are contractual ramifications like playtime bonuses or lack of guarantee for injury.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 30, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, the protocol seems like a ridiculous loophole. It’s just really gross to see such a nice hard working kid get himself hurt again and again. Everything’s been pretty well covered so nothing I can really add but ugh

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Any system that requires an NFL head coach to make a medical decision to play or not play a player who wants to play, says he’s fine to play, and has been blessed by the actual medical professionals as fine to play is 100% guaranteed to fail.

Head coaches are just about the last people on earth who should be deciding if players are healthy. Aside from the obvious problems of them not being medical professionals and having severely misaligned incentives I have to imagine that it would cause some conflicts with the NFLPA to have a coach overruling both the player and the medical staff and not playing a guy while saying it’s for his own good. Especially if there are contractual ramifications like playtime bonuses or lack of guarantee for injury.

he was listed as "questionable" all week. is the decision to play tua under that designation a coaching decision or a medical one?

if you're earnestly arguing that the determinations by team medical professionals should be taken as the gospel truth with absolutely no questioning or pushback from anyone else, then what is your proposed solution to the problem other than "hire better doctors?"

if this is an argument that the entire system is trash and needs to be completely overhauled then sure, hard agree

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

whatis posted:

the entire system is trash and needs to be completely overhauled

I don't think McDaniel is blameless by any means, but I also find it hard to believe that a majority of other head coaches wouldn't do the same thing in similar circumstances for all the reasons mentioned previously. You can't effectively resolve this without changing the protocols.

stuker fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 30, 2022

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1575882698509295616?s=20&t=TyoKlHeuVEs5F4-XdNPUKw

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

whatis posted:

he was listed as "questionable" all week. is the decision to play tua under that designation a coaching decision or a medical one?

Injury report designations are a) required by the league and b) often have no relation to reality and all and are used for gamesmanship.

But the reason he was listed as questionable was (at least publicly) due to the back injury. He expressed concern during the week leading up to play about his ability to play. Questionable means “a 50% chance that the player will play” which sounds about right given how Tua described himself during the week.

And yea, of course the system is bad and needs to be overhauled. I’m not smart enough to know what the fix is but having an independent neurologist assigned to every team that spends the whole season with them and is paid by the NFLPA might be a good start. There’s no party that definitively has the players’ health interests at heart, including the player themself, but the NFLPA is probably the closest thing to an adversarial party that would be inclined to push back against the team.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So about how long until we get the first tweet, probably from Schefter, that says that Tua remains day to day and isn’t yet ruled out of next Sunday’s game?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Probably not until Tuesday or Wednesday when they first have to give out the injury report.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Just need Herbert to play to complete the quarterback abuse trifecta

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

hypnophant posted:

If anyone on that medical team said with any confidence at all that Tua didn't have a concussion, not only that person should be fired and lose their medical license but every other doctor in the room who didn't speak up to correct that person should also be fired. It is not possible to definitively rule out a concussion with current medical technology without directly examining the brain, and no doctor worth their license will rule out a concussion following Tua's Sunday mechanism of injury and observed symptoms. An obvious failure of the protocol is that it doesn't require ruling out a concussion, it only requires failing to rule out an alternative explanation, which is a much lower standard of proof and almost certainly lead directly to the severity of Tua's injury last night.

It's possible that this is just a liability thing for McDaniel, but he said he did say that he could express with confidence that Tua didn't have a concussion.

quote:

McDaniel was asked about that injury during his postgame news conference Thursday night: Could he express with 100 percent certainty that the third-year quarterback hadn't, in fact, suffered a concussion against the Bills?

"Yeah, otherwise we would have reported him having a head injury," McDaniel told reporters. "That's why the NFL has these protocols."

So I guess I'm just taking him at his word that his medical staff said Tua definitely didn't have a concussion.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

fsif posted:

It's possible that this is just a liability thing for McDaniel, but he said he did say that he could express with confidence that Tua didn't have a concussion.

So I guess I'm just taking him at his word that his medical staff said Tua definitely didn't have a concussion.

I definitely believe he believes that’s what he heard.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Fully guaranteed contracts is the only way your going to stop this. And even then probably not guys in the final year of their deal.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

This is me

quote:

There’s no party that definitively has the players’ health interests at heart, including the player themself, but the NFLPA is probably the closest thing to an adversarial party that would be inclined to push back against the team.

This is also me but NFLPAs report on the week 3 investigation is going to be huge. Early indications were they found zero wrongdoing, so now it becomes less about the management of players but how the overall sport is loving *barbaric*

I spent so much time excited for Thursday night then seeing that kid on a stretcher just zapped every ounce of joy I felt about the season. drat I hope he’s truly okay.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You cant be 100% about that, either this young football wizard is lying or stupid

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

Look no further than the hit that lead to all this poo poo.

He stood there with the ball forever! He should have thrown it away long before there was any risk of him being hit

He had Waddle wide open on that play and was staring him down but just didn't pull the trigger for some reason.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/1575887998952308736

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

He had Waddle wide open on that play and was staring him down but just didn't pull the trigger for some reason.

Maybe he wasn’t thinking clearly. Wonder what could have caused that? Oh well, we may never know, impossible to speculate.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You cant be 100% about that, either this young football wizard is lying or stupid

This is all that’s left to disappoint. There’s gonna be a whirlwind of poo poo this week and I’m genuinely unsure what’s going to surface at this point. Have to expect the worst out of the staff at this point.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikereiss/status/1575884832403443712?s=46&t=sqFfJO8bLlYgmoSHlertGQ

Lmao

Nov 6, 2002

Bill has just lost it and needs to retire. I am officially on that bandwagon.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Amy Pole Her posted:

I spent so much time excited for Thursday night then seeing that kid on a stretcher just zapped every ounce of joy I felt about the season. drat I hope he’s truly okay.

You may not believe it but we all do.

I do feel bad for the Dolfans because I know what it's like to have so much hope and excitement going into a game and then having it shattered.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I tried to tell you all months ago. I tried.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lmao

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pasaluki posted:

You may not believe it but we all do.

I do feel bad for the Dolfans because I know what it's like to have so much hope and excitement going into a game and then having it shattered.

I absolutely believe y’all do, everyone was pounding the drum last week and I foolishly just thought no way could they all be so definitive and have the investigation cleared if dude was concussed but he very very clearly suffered a horrific injury that no one should. I was wrong. Now… I just want someone to answer for this clear violation, i don’t really care who it is so long as they’re responsible

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I tried to tell you all months ago. I tried.

You fought the good fight :hmmyes:

Bill washed so what

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Bill has just lost it and needs to retire. I am officially on that bandwagon.

I think it's worse than that. If he retires he'll just maneuver his cronies/failspawn into positions where they can poison the team for generations to come. He and the entire coaching staff need to be cleansed from the system. Yeah I know it will never happen.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

hypnophant posted:

I definitely believe he believes that’s what he heard.

Fair enough. Doesn't sound like my "McDaniel just listened to his experts and there was little/no coaching malfeasance" scenario is all that plausible now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1575896647254609921?t=X3acpVg7vdgwDNsM2m7Yww&s=19

Not quite sure why he was required to do daily tests if he wasn't in the protocol?

Nov 6, 2002

I don't have any reason to believe Kraft would have any loyalty to Judge or Patricia. And as much as we joke about it there's no world where the Belichick kids are seen as head coaching material by anyone, and the next head coach isn't going to want Bills kids hanging around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tarbrush posted:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1575896647254609921?t=X3acpVg7vdgwDNsM2m7Yww&s=19

Not quite sure why he was required to do daily tests if he wasn't in the protocol?

the best protocols are the ones you just make us as you go

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

tarbrush posted:

Does that article or does anyone state when they actually release those records?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't have any reason to believe Kraft would have any loyalty to Judge or Patricia. And as much as we joke about it there's no world where the Belichick kids are seen as head coaching material by anyone, and the next head coach isn't going to want Bills kids hanging around.

Kraft is an incredibly weird man who thinks he’s cool hanging out with famous hip hop artists half his age who knows what he thinks.