Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

Which is also why it would be so useless, because the Russians have already been spamming cruise missiles to their hearts content at whatever they want. Nukes aren't magic win buttons, they're just really really big bombs. If the Russians knew about valuable targets that would really help win the war, they could just shoot regular missiles and have the same effect.

A logistical strike against railways used for weapons shipments in western Ukraine is my guess.

- would be a clear "gently caress you NATO" without actually attacking NATO territory
- Russia has tried to shut down weapon shipments to Ukraine with conventional weapons without much success at all
- a tactical nuclear strike would cause panic and at a minimum completely halt transit on the rail line hit
- as a bonus, it's in western Ukraine so Russia doesn't get any radiation blowback (sucks to be Poland though)

On the other hand, it would probably be the smartest deployment of tactical nukes, so Russia won't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lum_ posted:

A logistical strike against railways used for weapons shipments in western Ukraine is my guess.

- would be a clear "gently caress you NATO" without actually attacking NATO territory
- Russia has tried to shut down weapon shipments to Ukraine with conventional weapons without much success at all
- a tactical nuclear strike would cause panic and at a minimum completely halt transit on the rail line hit
- as a bonus, it's in western Ukraine so Russia doesn't get any radiation blowback (sucks to be Poland though)

On the other hand, it would probably be the smartest deployment of tactical nukes, so Russia won't do it.

That would most certainly result in Poland going apeshit and pressing the Article 5 button, so also pretty stupid even if it results in short term gains.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russia is apparently putting together non-mechanized/motorized infantry formations.

supersized ranged claymore

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can picture every F-15 and Patriot battery in Europe making sure within about a week that nothing Russian remains in Ukraine and nothing Russian can enter Ukraine.

Also probably goodbye black seaf fleet and hq.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ded posted:

It's not "the Ukraine", its "Ukraine" hth

tbh, for years I referred to that country as 'the ukraine' because it sounded right in my autistic head and when I didn't realize that referring to a country as 'the whatever' is tool that imperialists use to delegitimize the people who have to suffer the oppressive bullshit that imperialists want to impose on others. It still sneaks in now and again, namaste.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ralakbar/status/1575856700543754242?s=46&t=cmpJYvlCw_aeqGgLgtq1VA

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here we go- Ukraine's applying to join NATO.

https://twitter.com/michaeltanchum/status/1575852361443991552

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also probably goodbye black seaf fleet and hq.

That seems like the worst response. It opens the "I'm now directly touching you" can of worms and relies on someone who has spent nine months doubling down now backing off.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Again?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Any significant marshaling yard is very likely to be in, or on the outskirts of, a large urban center.

I know people like to just dismiss Putin as a maniac but I have to think that even he is going to balk at dramatically killing a few hundred thousand civilians with a verboten weapon well back behind the lines not because he cares about the loss of human life but if anything would bring China and the rest around to kicking Russia off the UN Security Counsel it would be that.

It doesn't even have a patina of, 'we'll we had to do it because else millions of lives were at stake' that Hiroshima and Nagasaki have. It's just a straight up meaningless extermination of non-combatants in the most obvious, dramatic and cackling evil way possible.

I can see a one off military target that has a significant impact on Ukraine's ability to prosecute the war being one of those things where the outcry could be born with a, 'it was limited strike on a legitimate target' and persevering through the aftermath. But a straight up, 'gently caress that city!"? No, I don't think so.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What’s the air superiority situation over Ukraine? Could Russia carpet bomb Kiev if they felt like it or would that get shredded by anti air?

To confirm is the Ukrainian Air Force still a major factor?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

At the moment both sides have more anti air capacity than the other is able to deal with. Plane and helicopter missions tend to be relatively high risk, and it's low altitude and high speed when someone decides the risk is worth it. Russia has been hitting deep into Ukraine mostly with cruise missiles, and those are often interdicted too. Ukraine has had several high profile missions that hinged on air insertions.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wont' happen, like one of the core rules of accession is that there are no ongoing territorial conflicts, to avoid pulling the alliance into a conflict upon accession.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What’s the air superiority situation over Ukraine? Could Russia carpet bomb Kiev if they felt like it or would that get shredded by anti air?

Russia's inability to establish air superiority was one of the major early surprises of the invasion, and it doesn't appear to have gotten better for them.

Their bombers have been mostly limited to firing missiles from Russian or Belarusian airspace.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
This seems to be accellerating this morning.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Just to reiterate that everything Russia could've done to end the war faster has already been done excluding nukes.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My pessimistic take on if Russia actually uses nukes is they pull out and carpet all the areas they annexed to turn it into no-mans land. Can't technically lose the war or retaliate against the strike (other than stricter sanctions or nuclear escalation by the rest of the world) if there is nothing left to fight over or occupy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At the moment both sides have more anti air capacity than the other is able to deal with. Plane and helicopter missions tend to be relatively high risk, and it's low altitude and high speed when someone decides the risk is worth it. Russia has been hitting deep into Ukraine mostly with cruise missiles, and those are often interdicted too. Ukraine has had several high profile missions that hinged on air insertions.

Gotcha thanks for explaining

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Russia won't use nukes, even though it's in the list of "things they will do if invaded" Putin can't be that far loving gone that he would authorize deployment of nuclear weapons. If there were credible evidence of increased activity with the missile units trusted with nuclear weapons, messaging from the US would be way stepped up I think. The US at a minimum would be on an incredibly high alert "ready to go to war in <24h" because they'd want Russia to know that they know what Russia is doing and that it's not acceptable. The US isn't in that kind of posture right now.

Besides, any use of nuclear weapons needs buyoff from Putin, Shoigu and Gerasimov, and it would need to be unanimous. Even if Putin was cracked, the people around him ought to know the consequences of what happens if they use a weapon.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

WaltherFeng posted:

Just to reiterate that everything Russia could've done to end the war faster has already been done excluding nukes.

Apart from accelerating the weird haphazard press gang draft they have going into full mobilization

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Floodkiller posted:

My pessimistic take on if Russia actually uses nukes is they pull out and carpet all the areas they annexed to turn it into no-mans land. Can't technically lose the war or retaliate against the strike (other than stricter sanctions or nuclear escalation by the rest of the world) if there is nothing left to fight over or occupy.

That would require the rest of the world accept the annexation, and I am pretty sure everyone but Russia still sees that as UKR land

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

loving Belkans.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

aphid_licker posted:

That seems like the worst response. It opens the "I'm now directly touching you" can of worms and relies on someone who has spent nine months doubling down now backing off.

If a tactical weapon is used there is no more "I'm not touching you games" Its either the full weight of the Polish and US militaries stopping the war immediately or the west accepts that nations can use a few nukes now and then as a treat.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/SullyCNBC/status/1575541947162320896

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

M_Gargantua posted:

If a tactical weapon is used there is no more "I'm not touching you games" Its either the full weight of the Polish and US militaries stopping the war immediately or the west accepts that nations can use a few nukes now and then as a treat.

I think this is true if for no other reason than what it would mean for the international order if Russia got away with dropping the big one. A Desert Storm-style coalition throwing them out of Ukraine would be the only possible escalation. Imagine the nuclear proliferation that would result if Russia successfully used nukes to enforce the gains from their war of conquest. Every pariah state and every neighbor of a pariah state would be rushing for the bomb like it was 1946.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Just a thought, isn't it more likely that Putin would escalate to chemical weapons instead of nuclear ones? In his eyes, a client dictator like Assad got away with using them, so why shouldn't he?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Is he loving trying to invoke article 5?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Is he loving trying to invoke article 5?

No? Ukraine is not a member of NATO, so there's no Article 5 to invoke.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fearless posted:

Just a thought, isn't it more likely that Putin would escalate to chemical weapons instead of nuclear ones? In his eyes, a client dictator like Assad got away with using them, so why shouldn't he?

Chemical weapons are tricky to use correctly and modern armies have NBC gear to protect themselves.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

orange juche posted:

No? Ukraine is not a member of NATO, so there's no Article 5 to invoke.

He is referencing the French energy company that has spotted a drone behaving in a similar manner as what was observed with the Nord Stream pipeline.

Pretty sure if russia attempted to blow up a factory/warehouse that belongs to, say, Ford or Target, we would consider that an act of war.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

He is referencing the French energy company that has spotted a drone behaving in a similar manner as what was observed with the Nord Stream pipeline.

Pretty sure if russia attempted to blow up a factory/warehouse that belongs to, say, Ford or Target, we would consider that an act of war.

Probably not if it were in India, for example.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think its tilting in Ukraines favor currently. Russia has stripped air defense system from their western borders and Syria, and moved them to Ukraine, where they are being targeted by drones and himars. Ukraine has been shooting down a lot of russian planes recently as well.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Floodkiller posted:

If Russia nukes multiple cities they're getting invaded and / or nuked back. The population of Russia would also be assigned global villain status and their hopes for a middle class existence would be completely dashed. Thats not a 'winning' or even a 'draw' it would be a loss

aphid_licker posted:

Not much point in continuing the no touching charade when nukes start getting used.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 30, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fearless posted:

He's already used them. On NATO territory, even. There was also an incident a few months back where it was suspected a drone deployed *something* nasty.

The problem with chemical weapons is that we'd gleefully donate the Ukrainians MOPP gear. In fact, you'd probably have vets who've worn it volunteer to pack it up for them just so they'd know it'll never hurt them again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Fearless posted:

No, chemical weapons are pretty useless.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah well sinking the Black Sea Fleet can't end the war and neither can the Poles pushing the Russians out of Ukraine. And either way you're now what looks a lot like a participant in a war that is no longer non-nuclear.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Probably not if it were in India, for example.

If your point is that this isn't within France's territorial waters, the North Sea still contains the EEZ of two NATO members.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Those poor conscripts.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah well sinking the Black Sea Fleet can't end the war and neither can the Poles pushing the Russians out of Ukraine. And either way you're now what looks a lot like a participant in a war that is no longer non-nuclear.

Uh yeah, when Russia uses nukes its by definition no longer a non-nuclear war. Thats what makes it such an unlikely escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

No, chemical weapons are pretty useless.

As an offensive weapon against a prepared military, yes. But they are and always have been a damned good area denial weapon.