Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I found this map googling this question:

Notably Western Europe doesn't exist and Garlemald is roughly where Finland should be. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kwyndig posted:

It might be Australia

That's Meracydia.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

That's Meracydia.

Yeah, Australia is "here be dragons, no, not those dragons the other dragons" and the New World is the Americas, but we have no idea the particular shape of those regions and just have tidbits of information from the limited contact with traders or historical lore.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Flair posted:

(Also, they don't let you double up on a job even if it is DPS i.e. if I am a Lancer or Dragoon, I cannot bring the NPC lancer.)

its actually because the lancer always gets kicked out if youre dps even if youre a thaumaturge

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Canonically how long if it were "in real life" would it take to walk from Gridania to Ul'Dah? They're like on different parts of the continent right?

A round trip by land of all three city states is said to take "weeks" and you can rent a chocobo to ride from Camp Drybone to Camp Tranquil so it's not presented as impossibly far to walk from city to city. Comparisons with real world continents are misleading when it comes to actual scale. Armies move around the map pretty rapidly during Operation Archon, we're not getting significant timeskips every time we hit an area transition.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Because Eorzea consists of "city states" and there appears to be room for ~5 of them to function I'd say that it's roughly the size of Italy!

(Although the truth is that trying to sensibly gauge actual scale in a fantasy world is never going to work)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Who gets the comm, from highest to lowest priority:

Ranged DPS who used LB on trash pulls
funny glam
DPS who revived someone
clutch Limit Break
healer who used Rescue
good healer
good tank
funny name
dps who stood out in any way
cool or pretty glam
dragoon (giraffe icon, fewest controller inputs to comm)
bad healer / tank
remaining dps who stayed long enough for my comm

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I won't commend someone who used Rescue even if they're the only person left.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The duty support system is incredible. This is all I have ever wanted in an MMO. The ability to solo everything. I am so happy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Neo_Crimson posted:

I found this map googling this question:

Notably Western Europe doesn't exist and Garlemald is roughly where Finland should be. :laffo:

FF14 is just a retelling of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sassassin posted:

I won't commend someone who used Rescue even if they're the only person left.

Going to use rescue on you every opportunity

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make it so if two healers use rescue on the same target at the same time instead of going to either of them it just slingshots the target at the boss.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

How did I never loving notice that Eorzea is shaped like Africa?

https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/1568984208198012933

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can do dungeons at my own pace ! It’s a miracle .

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just unlocked the warrior class, but I was hit with this creeping feeling when I did. Is my skill bar going to be filled with abilities eventually? One of the things I loved about Guild Wars 2 was how few abilities there were, made it easy for me to easily get muscle memory on which abilities to use and when.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I want to say you're going to have about 30 buttons. Most jobs are right around that number.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
For any class (currently) you will basically fill about 3 hotbars (36 actions) by the time you get to 90, yes.

Buttons-to-press-bloat is a thing they're working on, but often you'll find an ability will change into another via a trait you get later, so it's not as bad as it seems when you first look at your abilities page when unlocking a job.

War isn't too bad with this, most times you're still going to be pressing your same 1-2-3 combo.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Most jobs have a rough cap of 32 actions, including role actions, because that’s the number a controller player can easily use. Some slam right up against it, some don’t even come close to it. Warrior is in the middle iirc.

That said you can access a maximum of 48 actions easily on controller, though no job has that many.

I play controller and can fit everything into 32 actions normally, though I did have to exclude one kinda pointless Paladin action from my hotbars. The use case for the action is “very, very rarely, in high end content” though and I never play Paladin in high end content.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 30, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

I can do dungeons at my own pace ! It’s a miracle .

It's great, yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

For any class (currently) you will basically fill about 3 hotbars (36 actions) by the time you get to 90, yes.

Buttons-to-press-bloat is a thing they're working on, but often you'll find an ability will change into another via a trait you get later, so it's not as bad as it seems when you first look at your abilities page when unlocking a job.

War isn't too bad with this, most times you're still going to be pressing your same 1-2-3 combo.

They've been working on keeping the overall number of buttons the same from the start. Every expansion has seen abilities stripped out of the lower end of the level scale so they can add flashy new ones on top. It's actually made most of the game relatively boring to play. Hundreds of hours of work before you unlock your real rotation (and then lose it again when you sync down to 90% of the dungeons available).

Although tbf I prefer a lot of the DPS roles before they get so complicated.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

hopeandjoy posted:

Most jobs have a rough cap of 32 actions, including role actions, because that’s the number a controller player can easily use. Some slam right up against it, some don’t even come close to it. Warrior is in the middle iirc.

That said you can access a maximum of 48 actions easily on controller, though no job has that many.

I play controller and can fit everything into 32 actions normally, though I did have to exclude one kinda pointless Paladin action from my hotbars. The use case for the action is “very, very rarely, in high end content” though and I never play Paladin in high end content.

At level 80 (excluding one of the two fairy summon buttons you get), Scholar already has like 34 buttons. And I know there's at least two more coming between 80-90. Some classes are definitely more button-bloaty than others. I pretty much refuse to use more than 32 for combat on controller, as I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Schwartzcough posted:

At level 80 (excluding one of the two fairy summon buttons you get), Scholar already has like 34 buttons. Some classes are definitely more button-bloaty than others. I pretty much refuse to use more than 32 for combat on controller, as I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

Hint - make both RT-->LT and LT-->RT go to the same hotbar.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alxprit posted:

Hint - make both RT-->LT and LT-->RT go to the same hotbar.

I do (or rather I configure both hotbars with the same abilities; not even sure how to make them both literally access the same hotbar), but I still reserve it for commonly-used non-combat stuff. I have a hard enough time juggling 32 abilities during combat, so some stuff just has to go.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Britain is still there. And still stealing everybody's artifacts.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, I also use it for non-combat stuff, but I've also not had trouble fitting in all my abilities on the cross hotbar and double cross hotbar together. There are a lot of weird options in weird places to set it up well. I guess this is why folks wanted a control-based tutorial sort of dealie, but I think it was covered in a linked post somewhere in the OP? Regardless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Schwartzcough posted:

I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

The simplest trick is to place your buttons so you're always going from RT to RT>LT, and from LT to LT>RT. Even something like putting the various 2-3s of your 1-2-3 combos on the RT>LT bar can find you a lot of extra space. Can't accidentally pull LT>RT if you're not letting go of RT.

I stick all the shared non-combat stuff on RB+X (cross hotbar 4?), very quick and easy to switch between that and hotbar 1 (RB+Y) without getting too confused. I keep mounts on my combat hotbar for some reason, but when you have RT>LT and LT>RT there's plenty of wiggle room.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well it's good to hear they are working on the ability bloat, that seems to always be a problem for MMOs to deal with.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah they trim abilities pretty aggressively. A level 50 dragoon now looks nothing like a level 50 dragoon from ARR. They have the upper bound ability count for controller users, and they try to stay in that window.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

At level 80 (excluding one of the two fairy summon buttons you get), Scholar already has like 34 buttons. And I know there's at least two more coming between 80-90. Some classes are definitely more button-bloaty than others. I pretty much refuse to use more than 32 for combat on controller, as I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

Lol I’m the opposite. I’m poo poo at double tapping successfully so my second set is the RT -> LT and LT -> RT ones. My teleporting and mount and aether compass and quick class changes are on the double tap ones instead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m level 28 and the msq is on 20 ahhh. They really buffed exp

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

euphronius posted:

I’m level 28 and the msq is on 20 ahhh. They really buffed exp

You can pretty easily keep two classes leveled off of just MSQ exp until Shadowbringers.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I manage to defeat Ultima with duty support. I died once because I was conditioned for the NPCs to generally follow the mechanics of the fight, but when the marker was placed on me to be stacked on, the NPCs got stuck on the boss's body, unable to path to me. Nonetheless, the NPCs generally seem okay.

But now I am stuck on Thornmarch (Hard). There is no duty support for it, and thus it seems my singleplayer run has met its end.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Flair posted:

I manage to defeat Ultima with duty support. I died once because I was conditioned for the NPCs to generally follow the mechanics of the fight, but when the marker was placed on me to be stacked on, the NPCs got stuck on the boss's body, unable to path to me. Nonetheless, the NPCs generally seem okay.

But now I am stuck on Thornmarch (Hard). There is no duty support for it, and thus it seems my singleplayer run has met its end.

By singleplayer run do you mean playing through without using duty finder?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ice Fist posted:

By singleplayer run do you mean playing through without using duty finder?

By singleplayer, I mean on a free trial, not talking to anyone or forming parties with any human player.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Flair posted:

Original Thornmarch was very beatable with a level 60 class that can heal itself (WAR, RDM) as an unsync solo party. Not tried the new version yet. Crystal Tower is the first mandatory content that maybe isn't soloable and would be a ballache to level high enough if it is.

Before they added duty support Titan was the end of reasonable solo runs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't think you can even enter an alliance raid by yourself. Like you need at least one person in each alliance.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flair posted:

By singleplayer, I mean on a free trial, not talking to anyone or forming parties with any human player.

I mean that’s what Duty Finder is for. You can’t make a premade party on the Free Trial, but you can still hop into Duty Finder for the required 8 man trials and 24 man Alliance Raids.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean that’s what Duty Finder is for. You can’t make a premade party on the Free Trial, but you can still hop into Duty Finder for the required 8 man trials and 24 man Alliance Raids.

But that would be against the "singleplayer" aspect of the run.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Then have fun waiting for like 3 years at least for them to add duty-support to 8-person fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Then have fun waiting for like 3 years at least for them to add duty-support to 8-person fights.

Yeah, I will reappear in this or similar thread in 3 years then