Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm past the halfway point in Spiderman 3 on Xbox 360. I like the variety of storylines like the Mad Bomber, and some of the subplots like helping Scorpion are really elaborate. The first mission with Scorpion's story was cool, infiltrating then escaping the weapon lab. The Mary Jane Thrillrides kind of suck though, hated the medium one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

John Lee posted:

Fun fact: You fight that manta ray in the level with the haunted hotel, the one with a bunch of Boos

The end of Stephen King's The Shining: "For a moment it assumed the shape of a huge, obscene manta, and then the wind seemed to catch it, to tear it and shred it like old dark paper. It fragmented, was caught in a whirling eddy of smoke, and a moment later it was gone as if it had never been."

Oh that's funny, I've read the Shining a few times and somehow never made that connection.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's funny, I've read the Shining a few times and somehow never made that connection.

Well I guess you didn’t read it very well pal

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More like Old sselniap

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Been enjoying the poo poo out of Mad Max (2015) again,here are some pics.

https://imgur.com/a/bXGtVwv

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's a good game!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played about 75% of it but eventually succumbed to a combination of open world burnout and other stuff coming out. Seemed pretty good so far though!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Absolutely could not get past Chumbucket yelling "here it comes! The mighty twister!" and a barely-visible tiny little fart of a tornado comes scurrying across the road

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I picked it up a couple weeks ago because it was $5. Love the world and the environment and they really nailed the tone.

Everything you actually use to interact with said world is... janky af. Have had to save cycle quite a few times because event scripting didn't fire (e.g. gates that open after defeating enemies, invisible wall that should go away doesn't, etc).

On screen button prompts show up too late to actually act on, max steers like a sumo wrestler, the combo system straight up doesn't respond to inputs occasionally, some combos are completely useless, the camera actively conspires against you in any non open field scenario, the list goes on.

It's charming in a lot of ways and has some very effective moments but is frustratingly lacksadasically implemented.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Scaramouche posted:

I picked it up a couple weeks ago because it was $5. Love the world and the environment and they really nailed the tone.

Everything you actually use to interact with said world is... janky af. Have had to save cycle quite a few times because event scripting didn't fire (e.g. gates that open after defeating enemies, invisible wall that should go away doesn't, etc).

On screen button prompts show up too late to actually act on, max steers like a sumo wrestler, the combo system straight up doesn't respond to inputs occasionally, some combos are completely useless, the camera actively conspires against you in any non open field scenario, the list goes on.

It's charming in a lot of ways and has some very effective moments but is frustratingly lacksadasically implemented.

Agree with all of this,far too much collecting,being easily able to get all the armour upgrades before even the 7th mission.

And rubbish beards as well.

Great driving and exploding though, and taking down the big strongholds is wicked fun.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Also: THUNDERPOOOOOON

a term which has made me giggle like a twelve-year-old for many years now

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

And the guy stuck in the minefield

“Me mate pube-tube got Blaoown AhP!”

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

At one point I picked up one of those history relics and afterwards instantly went for some dog chow to refill my health. I like how Max's reaction to that relic didn't play until he was digging in.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Agents are GO! posted:

I started replaying Final Fantasy IX, and in one of the opening scenes your party is in a battle that takes place in an in-game theater production. During this battle, the characters have access to a battle command called 'SFX'. It allows you to cast flashy 0-damage spells. Because it's just a play. :allears:
It's been so long since I played IX that I forgot this happened, delightful.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past Randomizer has a bunch of custom sprites. Each one is a little surprise to see how they charge in the various game states like dying, getting an important item, and the unpowered bunny state. Two sprites that were really good were Ryu who's bunny state was Dan Hibiki crying and Moosh, who used all three animal companions from the Oracle games at various points.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy IX always gets a lot of credit from me for actually letting you use a loving status cure outside battle to help a friend

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Final Fantasy IX always gets a lot of credit from me for actually letting you use a loving status cure outside battle to help a friend

In Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Cal heals with these little charge things that his droid friend dispenses and at one point in the story he actually breaks one out in a cutscene to help an injured animal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Dragons Dogma there were items called 'wakestones' which were in very limited supply, but if you were carrying one and died you would be ressurected on the spot, shattering the stone.

At several points in the story and sidequests you can choose to use one to ressurect someone who would otherwise stay dead.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

In Dragons Dogma there were items called 'wakestones' which were in very limited supply, but if you were carrying one and died you would be ressurected on the spot, shattering the stone.

At several points in the story and sidequests you can choose to use one to ressurect someone who would otherwise stay dead.

In one quest, you can resurrect a dude right after you kill him and his first action upon returning to his mortal existence is to resume poo poo talking you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I only played the DS version but IV also has the same option for you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crowetron posted:

In one quest, you can resurrect a dude right after you kill him and his first action upon returning to his mortal existence is to resume poo poo talking you.

don't know if it's the same guy but there's a wanted murderer who, if you confront him directly, elects to fight you to the death rather than face justice

you can then rez him after winning the duel and tell him "nice try smartass, time to go to jail now"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RareAcumen posted:

I only played the DS version but IV also has the same option for you.

The wedding vows in Dragon Quest V aren't "til death do you part" but for long as you both can be resurrected by the church.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

don't know if it's the same guy but there's a wanted murderer who, if you confront him directly, elects to fight you to the death rather than face justice

you can then rez him after winning the duel and tell him "nice try smartass, time to go to jail now"

lol, no I meant the stuffy knight dude. I didn't know about that one

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to the Kingpin missions in Spider-Man 3 and I like that Peter doesn't care that Kingpin is controlling the gangs, instead going off half-cocked to blame him for his behavioural changes. Kingpin is a major villain in the game but for Peter in his toxic symbiote mindset, all he is is a scapegoat.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Cool little Easter egg in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. The tattooist in your settlement has this note to find:

Tove's Tattoo Ideas posted:

A mushroom with fire circling out of it

A dragon, breathing fire, with the wings of a bat and arms of a man

Vines with sharp thorns, twisting around an ankle or wrist?

Tree made out of feathers?

Note also: the dragon's arms are very muscular.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Bogmonster posted:

Cool little Easter egg in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. The tattooist in your settlement has this note to find:

I said consummate üruzs. Consummate!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The S is for Sigurd

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/SebastianSB/status/1575523756801347586

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dome Keeper:

You can find eggs down in the mines and bring them back to your dome to raise as pets. Don't think they have any actual gameplay effect but now I've got a kiwi bird hanging out back at base.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Tunic is just swell and I hope the old-school NES manual translation thing doesn't get old because figuring stuff out in this game is extremely satisfying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the Mad Max game you can acquire and drive around in this vehicle:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Maigius posted:

The Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past Randomizer has a bunch of custom sprites. Each one is a little surprise to see how they charge in the various game states like dying, getting an important item, and the unpowered bunny state. Two sprites that were really good were Ryu who's bunny state was Dan Hibiki crying and Moosh, who used all three animal companions from the Oracle games at various points.
I think the Mario one changes into Sonic in bunny mode, or maybe it's vice versa.

Also one of the alt sprites is a can of Sprite, which is the kind of dumb metajoke I can appreciate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Alter Echo on ps2. It's a fun game, but my GOD does it get hard once it gives you time dilation. It's a very difficult mechanic to get right as it's recharging pickups are rare and it's basically a rhythm game where you chain together moves in an increasingly fast pulse to hit as many enemies as possible. Feels good to get right though I'm very bad at it right now.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Holy poo poo I know that game! BioEnchanted you're losing your touch!

I used to replay the demo for Alter Echo constantly, and then a couple years later I found a copy used in gamestop. I genuinely don't remember if I actually beat it :v:

For thread related content, I also replayed the hell out of the demo for the first Ratchet and Clank game, and I really liked that it actually had the RYNO for sale. If you were crazy/bored enough to grind out a million bolts in the demo, you could buy the RYNO and actually use the post game overpowered gun in the demo

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

My brother played a lot of alter echo and I remember playing the PS2 demo on a disc a lot.

sucks about the game sucking and also learning that Orson Scott card was a piece of poo poo, who sucked

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

forest spirit posted:

My brother played a lot of alter echo and I remember playing the PS2 demo on a disc a lot.

sucks about the game sucking and also learning that Orson Scott card was a piece of poo poo, who sucked

I never said I thought that the game was bad, I'm having fun with it, although I didn't realise Scott Card was involved. The story's pretty fun so far though and I didn't expect the first Master node to involve Paarvo stealing all your unlocked forms and that the next chunk of the game would be trying to get better versions while finding your friends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orson Scott Card wasn't involved with Alter Echo, that was Advent Rising.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh, is everyone thinking of Advent then or do people think Alter Echo's also a bad game, because it seems pretty solid to me so far?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

lmao okay, I'm shaking off smears and I figured this out. I played Alter Echo on a PS2 demo disc a lot and my brother played through Advent Rising. Hearing the description of slow-mo reminded me a lot of bullet-time in Advent Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the setting of Alter Echo so far given that Echo is the whole planet and the villain Paarvo is shaping his flesh into monsters against his will, and Echo has wrapped you in his flesh in the form of the biosuit so that you can use his power to fight him. It's basically a fight for Echo's Bodily autonomy, and I think that's neat. Also a neat implication is that Paarvo describes Echo as "My Echo" implying that he created his synaptic pathways in his own image (Echo is basically a super-substance created by Paarvo that has taken on a mind of it's own due to it's inherent complexity. A substance that shouldn't be able to think, but that has become so complex it's formed an actual brain at the core of the planet, if I'm understanding correctly).

It's very reminiscent of the setting of Quantum Theory, an organic tower that is being taken over by a literal cancer that you have to fight that is warping it's interior and fighting you directly.