Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
They're back already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ah yes, capturing the viewership of the casual audience who is casual enough to not be a diehard but also somehow know about all of the intricacies of the backstage drama and also give a poo poo about it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

because there are no other extraordinary factors that could conceivably have brought this week's Dynamite ratings below a million. nope, none whatsoever. nada

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I hate the idea of capturing the “casual” audience so much. There’s no such thing. You’re either a wrestling fan or you aren’t. I’ve never met anyone ever who’s like yeah I watch raw sometimes and I really care about how meaningful the stories are.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The_Rob posted:

I hate the idea of capturing the “casual” audience so much. There’s no such thing. You’re either a wrestling fan or you aren’t. I’ve never met anyone ever who’s like yeah I watch raw sometimes and I really care about how meaningful the stories are.

There are definitely people like this. My brother will text me every once in a while because he'll just throw wrestling on and ask about something or tell me something funny his son did/said while watching. We grew up on wrestling so it's like a thing that's always been around in our lives, but I'm the only one who still regularly watches it.

So I do believe there are people who exist who just turn it on when they don't have anything else to watch or will stop when flipping through the channels if they see someone they recognize. I just don't think they're a huge portion of any audience and probably shouldn't be the target of any company's promotion/attempted reach/whatever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

There are definitely people like this. My brother will text me every once in a while because he'll just throw wrestling on and ask about something or tell me something funny his son did/said while watching. We grew up on wrestling so it's like a thing that's always been around in our lives, but I'm the only one who still regularly watches it.

So I do believe there are people who exist who just turn it on when they don't have anything else to watch or will stop when flipping through the channels if they see someone they recognize. I just don't think they're a huge portion of any audience and probably shouldn't be the target of any company's promotion/attempted reach/whatever.

For sure I think those people never really watch a full show, especially with RAW being three hours and like you said I can’t imagine they’re a significant part of the audience even a little bit.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I love this like constant insistence people have that wrestling exists in a bubble and nothing else that happens in the universe should ever have any effect on their viewership whatsoever. They think wrestling fans will always tune in to Raw/Dynamite/etc no matter what is happening in the world, it doesn't matter if there's another major sporting event, a natural disaster happening at that moment, a war breaking out somewhere, a loving in-progress attempt to overthrow the US government, etc. Literally none of that matters, wrestling fans should all tune in to wrestling no matter what.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its an outgrowth of a thing in media centric societies where TV shows become family members.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Drakkel posted:

I love this like constant insistence people have that wrestling exists in a bubble and nothing else that happens in the universe should ever have any effect on their viewership whatsoever. They think wrestling fans will always tune in to Raw/Dynamite/etc no matter what is happening in the world, it doesn't matter if there's another major sporting event, a natural disaster happening at that moment, a war breaking out somewhere, a loving in-progress attempt to overthrow the US government, etc. Literally none of that matters, wrestling fans should all tune in to wrestling no matter what.

TNAratings.gif is the dream.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
Heels like Jade Cargill aren't allowed to love their families. Why? Because they are heels.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not just TV all brands try and do it as well. Building brand loyalty is modern marketing 101 and it leads to people doing crazy things for brands (see console wars)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cult of Pies posted:

Heels like Jade Cargill aren't allowed to love their families. Why? Because they are heels.

...I mean, yeah? Kinda the point for heels to be assholes.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

dsriggs posted:

...I mean, yeah? Kinda the point for heels to be assholes.

It's not 1987 anymore. Villains can have layers.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This reminds me that Sammy, the face, got booed for telling Ethan Page, the heel, that he didn't care about his kids.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cult of Pies posted:

It's not 1987 anymore. Villains can have layers.

Having one of your top heels win and then regularly cutting to their adorable cheering young daughter in the audience is stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ganso Bomb posted:

This reminds me that Sammy, the face, got booed for telling Ethan Page, the heel, that he didn't care about his kids.

Sammy was a bad face.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If people want to get booed they shouldn't do things that get cheers. I like Jade and I think it's cool that she wants to be a good role model to her daughter but her daughter doesn't need to be on TV

Also if Jericho really wants to max out the heel thing he really needs to stop using Judas and letting the crowd sing along. Either that or he should always cut off the music just as people start singing

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
has jade's daughter even been on tv all year? i barely remember seeing her once or twice when she first won the tbs title. personally, i'm not confused by jade's alignment.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Penguin Patrol posted:

has jade's daughter even been on tv all year? i barely remember seeing her once or twice when she first won the tbs title. personally, i'm not confused by jade's alignment.

Yeah wasn’t she just on the PPV? Also Kevin Owens whole gimmick in NXT was that he was willing to do whatever it takes if it meant providing for his family.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If Tiny Con wasn't so obsessed with wrestling he could fix this simply by giving Jade's daughter some talking segments to establish her as a heel like her mom rather than just expecting the audience to be familiar with her

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Yeah wasn’t she just on the PPV? Also Kevin Owens whole gimmick in NXT was that he was willing to do whatever it takes if it meant providing for his family.

lol yeah I can think of multiple people running that gimmick. FTR are fighting to put food on their family's table and take it off of their opponents when they're heels and faces.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Stan Hansen was bad for telling us he wanted to feed his fat wife and 9 kids.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/5Deuce4Tre7/status/1575936790757662720

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They should license some music from Chelsea Wolfe for her theme

Julia's current theme is pretty obviously inspired by Iron Moon. Similar cadence and structure, especially in the intro.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What exactly makes Jade a villain? She gets cheered, doesn't cheat and wins her matches because she is the superior athlete.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What exactly makes Jade a villain? She gets cheered, doesn't cheat and wins her matches because she is the superior athlete.

She's arrogant and self centered and treats everyone like poo poo. She even treats the Baddies like poo poo. They're just her ego boosting entourage and she's told them to their faces that she doesn't need them

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
She is also very rude to Tony Schiavone. THAT BITCH

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ah yes, what makes the mean lady who berates everyone she comes across a heel

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hey, it's nothing The Rock didn't do when he was a baby-face.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

She cheats a lot when people interfere for her. She cheats almost every match!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I stand corrected then.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

I do kind of wonder when Tony Khan has time for his girlfriend. I think she's rich enough that she can just fly around the world to various sports events but I haven't seen too many pictures of her at AEW related stuff.

There is a girl Toni Khan in the Mickey Mouse fashion

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also if Jericho really wants to max out the heel thing he really needs to stop using Judas and letting the crowd sing along. Either that or he should always cut off the music just as people start singing

Tony Khan just loves the singalong too much

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/HorbFlerbminber/status/1570749640487890944

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

YOSHIHIKO is basically the Christian Cage of the Japanese scene, he outworks everyone

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

These NXT names get worse and worse every day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Physically painful to read.

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1576013487146508293?s=20&t=VejwHfFpZb81RB08tuvNuw

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

so much energy wasted that could have been spent coming up with juche wrestling puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Juche Robinson