Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Vikar Jerome posted:

Guess nintendo dont approve of vaping

vape or ware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I forgot how frustrating the Valkyrie fights were in God of War. All of them have unblockable attacks that require you to dodge out of the way of (and the correct way since you don't have i-frames) with a billionth of a second heads up. Doesn't help that the way you heal is the most unintuitive, half-assed way. But that's just a series staple at this point.

Edit: I hope the designers learned how to telegraph attacks better in the sequel instead of unblockables and regular attacks sharing the same wind-up animation. It's what makes these fights not all that fun.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m replaying God of War to get ready for next month. Holy wow I forgot how good this game is, I’m super stoked now.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It totally is, and I listen to it all the time, but it's also all licensed music which is the same reason I left Wipeout XL off my list.

Driv3r had not only a badass name but a rocking soundtrack with the cd album narrated by and filled with interstitials by the inimitable Iggy Pop.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Jimbot posted:

I forgot how frustrating the Valkyrie fights were in God of War. All of them have unblockable attacks that require you to dodge out of the way of (and the correct way since you don't have i-frames) with a billionth of a second heads up. Doesn't help that the way you heal is the most unintuitive, half-assed way. But that's just a series staple at this point.

Edit: I hope the designers learned how to telegraph attacks better in the sequel instead of unblockables and regular attacks sharing the same wind-up animation. It's what makes these fights not all that fun.
some runic attacks have iframes so just use them defensively since they don't deal a lot of damage later in the game anyway. now you can facetank an unblockable and punish it :eng101:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Had a similar experience, I beat one or two valkyries before deciding that GoW didn't have the gameplay polish to make high difficulty fun. A great character action game has all these crucial little audiovisual cues to communicate important things to you, often subconsciously and redundantly, training your muscle memory and making a smooth path to high-level play, but GoW seemed to prioritize AAA visual quality over everything. Fair decision for the project, but it does sap my motivation for any optional challenges that take more than a few tries.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I straight up couldn’t beat the last Valkyrie, even on easy after more tries that most dark souls bosses.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The last Valkyrie’s patterns aren’t hard to learn, since they’re all moves shared with the others, but she has 3x as much health as she should so even if you can counter every move 9 times out of 10 eventually your screwups will add up and you die. It’s a marathon and it stops being fun long before she runs out of health

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did it but it took me a while and I can't say I enjoyed it much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

The last Valkyrie’s patterns aren’t hard to learn, since they’re all moves shared with the others, but she has 3x as much health as she should so even if you can counter every move 9 times out of 10 eventually your screwups will add up and you die. It’s a marathon and it stops being fun long before she runs out of health

Yeah the issue wasn’t the patterns it was surviving long enough to deplete the massive health bar. It just got super unfun after a while and I was like nope.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's still an incredible game but those fights show some dings in the combat system. That annoying dashing they all do. Either it goes into a normal attack or an unblockable and you have very little time to react. I'm on NG+ so they're a little bit harder but I think I'll use that talisman that freezes time and see what I can do.

It's funny having level 5 and 6 weapons but my armor are level 9 red artifacts of legend. I wonder if they'll have any kind of save import for Ragnarok or will Kratos fall into the river of Hel and get depowered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the main thing with the combat in that game was that it looked and felt great. Just viscerally it’s super satisfying, but it didn’t lend itself to doing very complex stuff, which was mostly fine because the game didn’t ask that of you, until you get deep into the side stuff, which ultimately just made some of the side stuff frustrating.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Best videogame soundtracks:

1. Silent Hill 1
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Silent Hill 3
4. Silent Hill 4
5. We ❤️ Katamari

I'll do you one better at
1. We ❤️ Katamari
2. We ❤️ Katamari
3. We ❤️ Katamari
4. We ❤️ Katamari
5. Tetris Effect

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
A lot of people will say the worst JRPG song is the New LA day theme from Xenoblade Chronicles X. And to them, I say "have you played Evergrace?" Enter the town theme made to give you a panic attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evergrace OST is genius

Anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGwKvLN3uiY

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I killed all the Valkyries on give me gow because as someone said before they're very easy using runics to just ignore their attacks and deliver a mighty blow at the same time.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bloodychill posted:

A lot of people will say the worst JRPG song is the New LA day theme from Xenoblade Chronicles X. And to them, I say "have you played Evergrace?" Enter the town theme made to give you a panic attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

That may be the worst song I have ever heard
It made me feel itchy and uncomfortable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bloodychill posted:

liking the comments on this one

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

ShoogaSlim posted:

talmbout video game soundtracks itt and not mentioning journey or flower is a crime

do you like the soundtrack for abzu? i love journey's soundtrack, but Abzu is probably my favorite of the two, but i've been making orchestral covers of video game soundtrack music to practice making orchestral stuff of my own and austin wintory has put up most of the sheet music for his soundtracks and i did this super quickly but it still sounds decent despite that because he's just so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFT6Jjx-iQs

bloodychill posted:

uh this track loving rules, all jokes aside, besides the bit that sounds like it's some other track sped up 3x, i love it. that main melody on the flute is great.

the drakengard 1 ost is objectively the most jarring poo poo of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ee_70IcDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCUX4fpvro

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2022

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bop bop perano posted:

do you like the soundtrack for abzu? i love journey's soundtrack, but Abzu is probably my favorite of the two, but i've been making orchestral covers of video game soundtrack music to practice making orchestral stuff of my own and austin wintory has put up most of the sheet music for his soundtracks and i did this super quickly but it still sounds decent despite that because he's just so good.

Daaaang good stuff Perano!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, that rules.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horizon Forbidden West was a very good game. It's nice to have a game that truly skewers the rich and presents them as an evil to be overcome not a saving force.
It did give off massive Fallout 4 vibes with some of the eye roll worthy nods to how we understand 'the old world' though and for that I gotta take away some points

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bop bop perano posted:

uh this track loving rules, all jokes aside, besides the bit that sounds like it's some other track sped up 3x, i love it. that main melody on the flute is great.

the drakengard 1 ost is objectively the most jarring poo poo of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ee_70IcDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCUX4fpvro

I :filez: ‘d Drakengard at first and I thought that I screwed up burning the disc when I heard the soundtrack lol

Imagine my surprise when I got a legit copy and nothing changed at all. Brilliant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SilkyP posted:

I was conceived to this song

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Shrecknet posted:

Horizon Forbidden West was a very good game. It's nice to have a game that truly skewers the rich and presents them as an evil to be overcome not a saving force.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWR11Ck_oZM

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Move that robot rear end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punished for donk

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shrecknet posted:

Horizon Forbidden West was a very good game.

:yeah:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm.playing ac Valhalla again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i like that old fridge is back. i missed him. it was a bit weird having a fridge that played well and posted well, and ultimately it made me uncomfortable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yesterday's FFX was extremely successful :)

Took down a pretty tough boss first time though classic veeg actions.

Also got the Anima summon who is the beefiest summon I have ever seen in an FF game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SilkyP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYvCHm3Ov4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

fridge corn posted:

wtf

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

fridge corn posted:

:hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
bit late but my favourite game soundtrack ever is to a game I only ever played for a couple of hours , Rockstar’s LA Noire. It is an absolutely beautiful album. I listen to it all the time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i like that old fridge is back. i missed him. it was a bit weird having a fridge that played well and posted well, and ultimately it made me uncomfortable.

Well I certainly didnt play well last tlousday!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Yesterday's FFX was extremely successful :)

Took down a pretty tough boss first time though classic veeg actions.

Also got the Anima summon who is the beefiest summon I have ever seen in an FF game.

You are now officially allowed to use the :jecht: emote

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I saw ac origins on pisspass and im thinking of playing it cos i like wild aa theories but also i realized i havent done much with the sony pisspass since i upgraded other than play ps1 games i already own on disc, SO i downloades Returnal and microsoft exlclusive Deathloop and i will be playing them shortly but also ive been playing Mass Effect ps4 again and getting back into that and 4k ironside shep looks great but i cant mod in stuff like the earphones anymore, anywyay i booted up resident evil dc and it sits next to resident evil remake on the game list, as it should which will be the same when resident evil 4 is out soon but then i booted up syphon filter 2 and guess whay, its still goat but i play 5 seconds of it and then went back to browsing bullahit on pisspass and i dowbloaded ape escape. I tried playing elden ring again and i killed the duo boss in crumbling farum austrilia but then died a lot and i think ive hosed my build up when i tried out a gimmick build cos everything is not fun but i just felt like i wanted to play cyberpunk but i want to wait for another patch cos they keep adding cool poo poo in now andni wanna shoot future pigs and anyway I dont know what im doing and i refuse to add spaces now cos ive been typing too long but i think im going off video games my maternal clock is hitting 40 soon and its telling me bad thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

You are now officially allowed to use the :jecht: emote

Lol