Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Flair posted:

Yeah, I will reappear in this or similar thread in 3 years then

Is it just because you don't want to deal with other people in dungeons/raids? I'm not judging I'm just curious. Is it a challenge run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ice Fist posted:

Is it just because you don't want to deal with other people in dungeons/raids? I'm not judging I'm just curious. Is it a challenge run?

Flair posted:

This was brought up in the steam thread so I decided to take on the challenge and provide updates here. I will be on the free trial trying to advance the story as much as I can while interacting with no other player i.e. relying soley on duty support. I just finished the third dungeon, and so far so good. Though it was not clear that the NPCs would not go into elevators with you; you have to take the lift down or up, and after getting of the lift, they teleport to you. Also, seems like the second and third dungeon has some simplified mechanics to make up for the NPCs probably unable to handle the slightly more complex mechanics.

It started in the steam thread. To skip over the context, someone there said that FFXIV only had one expansion left that was not soloable and that 1-60 was soloable. That's right in line with the free trial, and I decided to see how much was that true.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Flair posted:

It started in the steam thread. To skip over the context, someone there said that FFXIV only had one expansion left that was not soloable and that 1-60 was soloable. That's right in line with the free trial, and I decided to see how much was that true.

they were exaggerating on multiple counts

as you discovered, 8- and 24-person content is not soloable and isn't even on the roadmap

the 4-person content has a roadmap to all be soloable by the time the next expansion drops, but is currently only up to level 57

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

they were exaggerating on multiple counts

as you discovered, 8- and 24-person content is not soloable and isn't even on the roadmap

the 4-person content has a roadmap to all be soloable by the time the next expansion drops, but is currently only up to level 57

That's part of the point of doing this -- to validate or invalidate the exaggeration.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Flair posted:

That's part of the point of doing this -- to validate or invalidate the exaggeration.

you could have saved a lot of effort by just asking but at least you (presumably) had fun in the process

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, there are both 8-man Trials and 24-man raids that are required for the MSQ.

The MSQ will likely never be fully singleplayer, but the vast majority of it can. Eventually all 4-man dungeons required by the MSQ will be, patch 6.3 (December/January) will likely cover all MSQ dungeons up to Stormblood.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The updates to Thornmarch Hard did update the fight in a way that if they ever went back to enable duty support it wouldn't requires as much work as it would have taken to leave it alone until later. The rest of the trials through probably only need a gentle massaging if they wanted to add NPCs to them.

But also, not a priority for the devs at the moment! We'll see what they say in the lead up to 7.0.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flair posted:

Yeah, whatever happens CT is unlikely to be soloable under a strict definition simply because the mechanics of an Alliance raid won't let you enter alone. Then there's fight mechanics in some 8 and 24 man content that require multiple people or you can't resolve the mechanics and have no way to clear it--the Atamos fight in LotA comes to mind.

The exaggeration was invalid from the start I'm sad to say.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I did a duty support today for the first time and cried when they npcs dodged the mechanics.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do expect something to be done about CT, because they see JRPG fans who don't generally like MMOs as their biggest growth opportunity. They believe they're leaving money on the table by not offering a full single player experience.

I don't expect it to happen for a very long time, though

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, while I wouldn't be surprised if 8-man trials end up on the Duty Support roadmap at some point, I don't think Alliance Raids ever will, especially since only the level 50 AR series is MSQ-required or even all that plot relevant. That said, it's a shame that we'll never get Duty Support voice lines trying to explain Crystal Tower raid mechanics. I just want to hear Nero trying to explain Cerberus in WoD and G'raha yelling some variation on "GET ON THE PADS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" in LotA.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

you could have saved a lot of effort by just asking but at least you (presumably) had fun in the process

It was alright. I decided to go with the Japanese cutscene audio to change it up; it was decent, though there is one scene at the end where the music was louder than the voice actor. (And this is with the default sound settings.)

Veotax posted:

Yeah, there are both 8-man Trials and 24-man raids that are required for the MSQ.

The MSQ will likely never be fully singleplayer, but the vast majority of it can. Eventually all 4-man dungeons required by the MSQ will be, patch 6.3 (December/January) will likely cover all MSQ dungeons up to Stormblood.

I think it is possible. Of course, it is a matter of putting the resources for making NPC companions to handle all the mechanics. Even the early 4-man dungeons were redesigned and simplified in such that the current NPC capability could handle it. Based on my experience, seems like the NPCs can handle focusing down on something or getting out of danger puddles, but they are not smart enough to coordinate or handle multiple targeted mechanics. For instance, there are some early dungeon that used to have multiple lamps/cannons to toggle; now those bosses just do evil eye and more danger puddles respectively.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I want duty support savage raids, where Alphinaud pastes a macro, Urianger suggests an alternate strat nobody can understand, and then Alisaie repeatedly wipes the party by greeding her melee phase

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, while I wouldn't be surprised if 8-man trials end up on the Duty Support roadmap at some point, I don't think Alliance Raids ever will, especially since only the level 50 AR series is MSQ-required or even all that plot relevant. That said, it's a shame that we'll never get Duty Support voice lines trying to explain Crystal Tower raid mechanics. I just want to hear Nero trying to explain Cerberus in WoD and G'raha yelling some variation on "GET ON THE PADS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" in LotA.
Cid uncomfortably explaining that someone's going to need to volunteer to get vored. :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is guild wars 1 the only other mmo that had npc parities for dungeons ?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped CT and replaced it withregular dungeons or solo duties in a complete rework. While veterans love to laugh about the bone zone and pads and the belly, I don't think I've seen a single newbie come out of it with a favorable experience

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Love to see the standard "Adds, Belly, Chains" copy/paste every single time a queue pops into CT without a single explanation for the newcomers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flair posted:

It was alright. I decided to go with the Japanese cutscene audio to change it up; it was decent, though there is one scene at the end where the music was louder than the voice actor. (And this is with the default sound settings.)

I think it is possible. Of course, it is a matter of putting the resources for making NPC companions to handle all the mechanics. Even the early 4-man dungeons were redesigned and simplified in such that the current NPC capability could handle it. Based on my experience, seems like the NPCs can handle focusing down on something or getting out of danger puddles, but they are not smart enough to coordinate or handle multiple targeted mechanics. For instance, there are some early dungeon that used to have multiple lamps/cannons to toggle; now those bosses just do evil eye and more danger puddles respectively.

They could do something like Bioware did with SWTOR: Shadow of Revan. The expansion finale could be done either as a full raid with additional bosses culminating in a fight with Revan at the apex of the Temple of Sacrifice, or as a solo duty style fight where all the big hero NPCs join you to fight just him instead. Doing at least one of the two methods was required to complete the final quest and see the ending.

girl dick energy posted:

Cid uncomfortably explaining that someone's going to need to volunteer to get vored. :allears:

Hoary Boulder explaining that EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET IN THE BELLY. :parrot:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wait, do people usually solo the duties that progress the MSQ? I've been queuing up to play them normally

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VostokProgram posted:

Wait, do people usually solo the duties that progress the MSQ? I've been queuing up to play them normally

your post is a bit ambiguous so forgive me if I'm clarifying something you already understood

people aren't talking about a true solo (which generally requires being at least 20 levels higher than the duty, if not more), but going in with a party of NPCs. This is possible for all mandatory four-player content in the level 1-57 and 71-90 ranges (and they're working on filling in the middle)

I think there's a decent mix of people who prefer to play with NPCs and people who prefer to play with other players

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I tried to use NPCs at the beginning of SHB thinking that I'd clear them faster without waiting in queue and discovered that I finished them faster - even considering the queue wait for a DPS - if I just used the duty finder. The NPCs were slowwww. I abandoned the duty and just queued it up.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but that was my experience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The vast majority of 8 man trials are very easy (if slow) to solo and don't even require much grinding of levels given how much xp is flying around. A level 60 Warrior can probably beat everything ARR can throw at you outside CT and Coils.

On a free trial roll on a preferred/new server, spend your silver chocobo feathers on a level 60 Shire weapon and armour, and see how far it gets you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nah that's pretty normal

the only dungeon where I'd say to go in with NPCs even if you generally prefer playing with humans is the level 87 one. You'll know why when you get there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading up it appears npcs don’t use AOE which is a decent balance decision I guess

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

euphronius posted:

Reading up it appears npcs don’t use AOE which is a decent balance decision I guess

My understanding is that the dungeons are tuned to take about 30 minutes total with a group of NPCs.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the only dungeon where I'd say to go in with NPCs even if you generally prefer playing with humans is the level 87 one. You'll know why when you get there.

Oh man. I’ve done it already but nice my DRK hits 87 I’ll do that because it sounds awesome.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

I tried to use NPCs at the beginning of SHB thinking that I'd clear them faster without waiting in queue and discovered that I finished them faster - even considering the queue wait for a DPS - if I just used the duty finder. The NPCs were slowwww. I abandoned the duty and just queued it up.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but that was my experience.

It's definitely a lot slower but that's not a bad thing for a lot of people. If I'm going through a story I don't want to Sastasha-sprint every piece of new content and skip boss phases because everyone's dps is outrageous.

It's fantastic that they're catering for a range of playstyles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you want a dungeon done fast, don’t use trusts/duty support. They don’t aoe because they don’t really need to. Their damage is mostly simulation.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to just gently caress around and take my time rather than having to hustle through a dungeon that either I'm unfamiliar with or am doing with a new class.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Qwertycoatl posted:

I want duty support savage raids, where Alphinaud pastes a macro, Urianger suggests an alternate strat nobody can understand, and then Alisaie repeatedly wipes the party by greeding her melee phase

Thou doth not remunerate mine sub.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Urianger winning all the loot rolls for gear for classes he doesn't even play, then asking "what doth thou think of mine new attire"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

your post is a bit ambiguous so forgive me if I'm clarifying something you already understood

people aren't talking about a true solo (which generally requires being at least 20 levels higher than the duty, if not more), but going in with a party of NPCs. This is possible for all mandatory four-player content in the level 1-57 and 71-90 ranges (and they're working on filling in the middle)

I think there's a decent mix of people who prefer to play with NPCs and people who prefer to play with other players

YOU CAN DO THAT????

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cheetah7071 posted:

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped CT and replaced it withregular dungeons or solo duties in a complete rework. While veterans love to laugh about the bone zone and pads and the belly, I don't think I've seen a single newbie come out of it with a favorable experience

I would be extremely surprised if they ever did that.

I had fun experiencing the alliance raids with the CT story when I first started playing the game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

Yeah, it's nice to be able to just gently caress around and take my time rather than having to hustle through a dungeon that either I'm unfamiliar with or am doing with a new class.

Yeah this makes perfect sense. I just get impatient.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I do my first runs with Duty Support for the fiction of doing stuff with my in universe friends, but I don’t do it outside of it.

e:
Also I doubt they’d ever get rid of the very first Alliance Raid in the game? A feature that’s in every expansion?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Crystal Tower raids have basically been joke content for as long as anyone can remember. It's funny watching everyone wipe on the stupid stuff but there's no good reason anyone should mourn if they were to redesign it all the same way they've just done Thornmarch and Steps of Faith.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my first run of every story dungeon has been with trusts/duty support since they first implemented the system in 5.0. it's handy for not immediately getting the kinda dude who's on their fifth run of the day for glam, or just to take in the environment more.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I started using the Duty Support for my first run of dungeons in EW, and it worked pretty well, although I got a weird interaction with the 90 MSQ dungeon -- all the NPCs dead after the first boss, which I was able to solo the last bit of as a tank, but I didn't have a rez to pick anybody up. Is the NPC healer AI not able to handle the Grebuloff? I haven't tried since; I've been tempted to grind it out for the starbird, but I assume I should go in with a rez-capable job just in case.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Occasionally the Trust npcs eat mechanics and die, this includes the healer. Having levelled Trusts to 90 i can say it seems to happen with Alisae and Urianger the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

Occasionally the Trust npcs eat mechanics and die, this includes the healer. Having levelled Trusts to 90 i can say it seems to happen with Alisae and Urianger the most

Accurate