Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'll never stop

Nuclear war is definitely not going to happen on October 6, 2022. Not a chance!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'll never stop

Nuclear war is definitely not going to happen on October 6, 2022. Not a chance!!!!

What do I get if I go under?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'll never stop

My "Nuclear war will definitely not happen on October 6, 2022" t-shirt is making people ask questions...

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Oh that's the day I'm scheduled for my flu + bivalent COVID booster!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Nuclear war isn’t going to happen, calm the gently caress down

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Nuclear war isn’t going to happen, calm the gently caress down

I'm probably immortal anyway so it's fine

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Literally yesterday Manager Hoyden was saying that weather disasters don't happen to white people countries and today a hurricane is currently on course to cause historic destruction to Tampa.

Manager Hoyden I desperately need you to stop saying nuclear war isn't imminent

I've been to Tampa. Are we sure the hurricane didn't already roll through there?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jokes about carcinization are boring and overdone. Stop talking about things turning into crabs, it was tired two years ago!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

If "most people" think that a word has a certain meaning, but a dictionary disagrees, it is the dictionary that is wrong.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

If "most people" think that a word has a certain meaning, but a dictionary disagrees, it is the dictionary that is wrong.

while I do agree that use defines language in 99% of cases, people who write loose when they mean lose should be forced to retake elementary school

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The singular they owns and everyone should use it.

However you still gotta use the the plural verb form because "they is" sounds real stupid.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aramek posted:

The singular they owns and everyone should use it.

However you still gotta use the the plural verb form because "they is" sounds real stupid.

lol English rules

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

while I do agree that use defines language in 99% of cases, people who write loose when they mean lose should be forced to retake elementary school

yes.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

lol English rules

It does rule, yes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

thetoughestbean posted:

Jokes about carcinization are boring and overdone. Stop talking about things turning into crabs, it was tired two years ago!

Don’t be so crabby

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Eventually, given enough time, all jokes will be about carcinization.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Muscle Tracer posted:

Almost all English dictionary makers would agree with you and would endeavor to update their dictionary

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Gripweed posted:

Agreed. But for me it's people who follow could/should/would with "of".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Singular they still sucks and has sucked for six hundred years. I wish there had been a greater push to adopt new neutral pronouns; I personally am 100% masculine but I don't think my gender really applies to most situations and would prefer to use a gender neutral pronoun, but I think it would be super problematic for me to adopt they/them pronouns. English is super mutable and isn't anchored in gendered words as much as other language, but like in all the time that has passed between Shakespeare's time and now we have on fleek and WAP and almost nothing else of note.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Every generation comes up with embarrassing jargon that's dropped as they get older, so we don't "have" on fleek or WAP because they're already outdated. Dropped by a cruel and fickle lexicon

And don't worry about the pronouns thing - you can tell people to call you whatever you want. It's for everyone. Personally I am workshopping some pronouns for myself that reflect my prowess at video games and devil-may-care approach to life. Right now I have xXx69e/xXx69is so it needs some work

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nobody has said "on fleek" since like 2015.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nobody has said "on fleek" since like 2015.

i think u'll find On Fleek by Cardi B came out in 2016

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Every generation comes up with embarrassing jargon that's dropped as they get older, so we don't "have" on fleek or WAP because they're already outdated. Dropped by a cruel and fickle lexicon

And don't worry about the pronouns thing - you can tell people to call you whatever you want. It's for everyone. Personally I am workshopping some pronouns for myself that reflect my prowess at video games and devil-may-care approach to life. Right now I have xXx69e/xXx69is so it needs some work

neo pronouns haven't been a thing for at least as long as people haven't been saying on fleek

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't care

It's my journey and my destination

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm only about halfway through Season 2 but I'm really enjoying Breaking Bad, is this the first good american tv show since Lost

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

And if you want to listen to a great album instead of British mediocrity you listen to Pet Sounds

That's a funny way of saying Close to the Edge.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't care

It's my journey and my destination

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
PHUO: It's rude to bring up music in polite conversation. Whenever it comes up I always try to steer the topic towards less controversial subjects, like Israel or the death penalty.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's weird how Israel fans always bring up Israel's "right to exist" when if you look at it dispassionately it's inarguable that Israel does not have a right to exist. The whole thing was a terrible plan from the get go.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I don't know anything about Israel or Palestine but I remember trying a bunch of candy that was purported to be from either and overall Israel had better snacks.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Aramek posted:

I don't know anything about Israel or Palestine but I remember trying a bunch of candy that was purported to be from either and overall Israel had better snacks.

This is how all wars should be fought.

Line up the best snacks and hangover cures and have a group of impartial hungover college students determine the winner.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Do you seriously want America to lose every conflict and have Scotland be our glorious leaders on a throne of irn bru and deep fried Mars bars?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Do you seriously want America to lose every conflict and have Scotland be our glorious leaders on a throne of irn bru and deep fried Mars bars?

Do you think that America doesn’t have deep fried cookies? Have you never heard of state and county fairs?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
You joke but food politics and the colonization/appropriation of native cuisines is a huge issue especially in the IP conflict.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

You joke but food politics and the colonization/appropriation of native cuisines is a huge issue especially in the IP conflict.

Appropriation of the native cuisines? Aren’t a good third of the Jews in Israel native to the Middle East? It’s their food too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isn’t there like a Mediterranean-wide debate over who invented falafel?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn’t there like a Mediterranean-wide debate over who invented falafel?

Take pretty much any panOttoman dish and at after the invention of nationalism someone has at least punched somebody else over its origin. More than a few lethal encounters. Many such cases.

At the risk of starting one of the perennial derails, at least we know that circumcision started in Ancient Egypt. Which is surprising because they had a comparatively high level of gender equality for the ancient world and some other odd quirks like no word that we've been able to identify for "virgin". So, ladies could own property but had to get their clit and labia removed. If you told me the Athenians did that I'd be like "yeah, that tracks. Those dudes hated women." But Egypt? It's a real surprise.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Being hung over can be nice. Freedom from responsibility, with a good conscience.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Being hung over can be nice. Freedom from responsibility, with a good conscience.

I don't mind them on a quiet sunday or something. Definitely wouldn't recommend doing what I did and having to defend your dissertation hung over though. That was rough but it sucked even more when I came out after passing and seeing my car had a boot on it because of too many parking tickets and I had to walk across campus to pay the fee. I thought as long as I kept paying the fine I could just keep parking there but they thought otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Your mistake was not making sure you were free before being hung over. I work and work out a lot, so when the chance is there, to just get drunk and do nothing the next day. It is like a gift from the gods.

*and genuine gz on doing that, happy for you

doverhog has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Oct 1, 2022