Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh its weird that it didnt get invented more often

like, block printing had been a thing for centuries, just imagine blockprint cutters, notaries & amanuenses have in their long hours. The sheer weight of all these at least tens of thousands of people working throughout history. these professions get a sense of graphical repetition and space, the drudgery of it. so many of them must have seen in an image or letter how often they've had to draw or carve its parts before. i have to imagine that hundreds of them daydreamed of easier ways, and several came up with movable type printing in their mind

material circumstance, i suppose

How stuff gets invented- it's just fascinating. I can see why a lot of cultures attribute the invention of bronze-working to gods, because it seems virtually impossible to discover such a complex operation "by accident." Anyway-

-this is the Phaistos Disc; it was made in Crete around 3500 years ago. By the looks of things, some bright spark invented movable type printing (for clay tablets, at least) 35 centuries ago.
Like you said, I find it hard to believe that this idea never occurred to anyone else over the long centuries!

e: geez what a snipe. Uhh, it's a spiral, so maybe there's some kind of Junji Ito connection we can make? Or I could re-draw Heathcliffe in the style of Minoan logograms if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

How stuff gets invented- it's just fascinating. I can see why a lot of cultures attribute the invention of bronze-working to gods, because it seems virtually impossible to discover such a complex operation "by accident." Anyway-

-this is the Phaistos Disc; it was made in Crete around 3500 years ago. By the looks of things, some bright spark invented movable type printing (for clay tablets, at least) 35 centuries ago.
Like you said, I find it hard to believe that this idea never occurred to anyone else over the long centuries!

Looks like they used seals or stamps to me.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hello I was going to post some hell was full earlier but I was too busy screaming. Now I'm done! So here they are.

If dogs ever realize this there will be no end of trouble

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Something to be said about how the most prescient science fiction isn't from people who understand how technology works, but understand people's relationship with it and how they use it. Even simply extrapolating from current trends.

Speaking of on the printing- you gotta remember, 'inventing' isn't like the mad science shows, you need to have the right prerequisite technologies, the right materials and some room to play around with them to come up with new inventions, as well as having an education and free time and equipment. (Reminds me of that one thing where tons of Anglican pastors were inventors because they had a required college education, and a job that gave them lots of free time) And a lot of labour-saving inventions often only come in when it becomes impractical or expensive to just brute-force it with human labour. We're used to the rapid pace of innovation from the 20th century because there was a particular explosion of technologies and literal arms races to improve them. Not to mention the sharing of information widely allowing for more ideas and discussion across the world.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Oct 1, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

KennyMan666 posted:

Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something

It's strange...

There's been quite a bit of unashamed horny anime drawn by this person, yet... I dunno, I feel like it's kinda similar to Juicika or Arlo and Janis in that it's horniness is somehow endearing?

Also, scribbled Beaton comics are still tres good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
is he into Myst because it's a work of art or is he into Myst because he just got castrated and we already established this arc that dudes with no gonads love Myst

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Samovar posted:

It's strange...

There's been quite a bit of unashamed horny anime drawn by this person, yet... I dunno, I feel like it's kinda similar to Juicika or Arlo and Janis in that it's horniness is somehow endearing?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is he into Myst because it's a work of art or is he into Myst because he just got castrated and we already established this arc that dudes with no gonads love Myst

behind all the surface level "gamer" jokes they're clearly establishing that having or lacking a penis does not define you or your gender

no one needs to rush to the hospital to surgically have a penis attached to them because their masculinity would be lost otherwise; that is a fake idea

getting immersed in groundbreaking environmental puzzle game Myst is an obvious better use of your time, portrayed as a comical nerd exercise, but the underlying message is that they are not wrong because literally anything is

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Emzedoh posted:

You're not the first to say so, though I'm no judge. Is it just the phonetic accent that's wrong or is it also the vocabulary?

What do make of this page from the sequel?

It's the phonetics. This one's good, though. A Glaswegian would never say "fookin'", but would more likely pronounce it with a short 'u', so "fuckin'"

Here's one of Glasgow's finest exponents of the phrase, giving you the lowdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaqsOL-Nv24

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And that's it for the first run of Malky Dungeon! I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed posting it. It's kind of messy and a little amateurish in a few ways, but it's stayed with me in the years since I first read it in a way that a lot of more polished media hasn't.

From the author's commentary:

quote:

Whit a send aff! The guy wae the guitar is based on someone I had a chat with outside the Lismore.

I’d mulled over doing an epilogue for this and may still do if I ever make a print version but for now let things be as they are in the real world- messy and ambiguous.

Hope you’ve enjoyed the first Malky Dungeon and if you want to read more of his adventures and see more of my art you’ll join me on my patreon

cheers!

-Simon

https://www.patreon.com/malkydungeon

I swear to god that link to his Patreon was broken the first time I tried it. I'd been assuming Simon wasn't making comics anymore, but it seems he's been turning out hundreds of pages on a historical webcomic, The Hogback Saga.

Chapter One can be read here

https://www.patreon.com/posts/49154164

Chapter Two can be read here

https://www.patreon.com/posts/58863413

I do know there's a little more Malky Dungeon after this: a more serious story involving Malcolm and a Halloween short featuring the Weegie Wizard taking revenge on a drunk idiot for queue jumping him for a taxi. I know where the first thing is, but I've got no idea what happened what happened to the second, it seems to have gone missing in the transition between sites.

I'm down to post the next story, or I could give it a try and post something else for a bit. What do people think?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Frazzbo posted:

It's the phonetics. This one's good, though. A Glaswegian would never say "fookin'", but would more likely pronounce it with a short 'u', so "fuckin'"

Here's one of Glasgow's finest exponents of the phrase, giving you the lowdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaqsOL-Nv24

Interestingly, he goes back to spelling it with u only two pages later. Skimming back through my imgur file, that actually seems to be the preferred spelling.

Incidentally, up until I started posting Malky Dungeon I assumed Billy Connolly had a generic Scottish accent, not specifically Glaswegian.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It's Halloween, and I have a little time, so how about you join me on a re-read of one of my favourite horror comic artists: Emily Caroll. You've probably seen 'His face all red' before, so let's start with an earlier, less well-known one-shot: All Along the Wall (2014).

Side-note: Because the comic is hosted in a way that takes advantage of the blackspace/whitespace of the website background, I'm just going to preserve that as best I can.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh its weird that it didnt get invented more often

like, block printing had been a thing for centuries, just imagine blockprint cutters, notaries & amanuenses have in their long hours. The sheer weight of all these at least tens of thousands of people working throughout history. these professions get a sense of graphical repetition and space, the drudgery of it. so many of them must have seen in an image or letter how often they've had to draw or carve its parts before. i have to imagine that hundreds of them daydreamed of easier ways, and several came up with movable type printing in their mind

material circumstance, i suppose

it's understandable why the scribes drew so many dicks on the margins

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Jeez, I went hunting for the Halloween comic I mentioned and found out that Malky Dungeon was still updating in 2017. So either it isn't half as old as I was making out or it was just super slow. Jeez, I must be getting old.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Scheming 35
Malachite 1
Malachite 2
Malachite 3
Malachite 4

Malachite 5

Malachite 6

Malachite 7

Talking character deaths: 39 (+4)
Deaths altogether: 78+ (+4; Torgeir's family)
Destroyed relationships: 2 (+1) :owned:

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Oct 2, 2022

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dang, when Lyndon touched that scepter and "didn't see a death" I almost said something about everything afterwards being an extended vision of the future, but it went on so long I stopped believing it until the yellow guy's spiel just now.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Tree Bucket posted:

Whats this got to do with movable type?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fagtastic posted:

Whats this got to do with movable type?

It's like the very very earliest tiniest seed of the idea of movable type. Some bronze age guy/gal thinking, "writing these symbols takes a long time, wouldn't it be rad if there was some way of making it quicker?"
Then getting ignored for the next three thousand years

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

rollick posted:

Sherlock by Jordan Piantedosi from Perfect Stars, pt2 of 3

The thrilling conclusion of Jordan Piantedosi's Sherlock, from the comic Perfect Stars

Emzedoh posted:

Also I wanted to say, the art in this is really cool!

Yes! It's the main reason to read it. The archive is mostly one-offs, with original characters (and Oscar Wilde). Maybe I'll post my favourites -- this one seemed nice and self-contained.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Splicer posted:

A font of misery

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

Dang, when Lyndon touched that scepter and "didn't see a death" I almost said something about everything afterwards being an extended vision of the future, but it went on so long I stopped believing it until the yellow guy's spiel just now.

Ohhh, is this a butterfly in a bell jar situation? The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch covered this in that book's version of time travel. If you encounter someone who's existence is the cause for your current reality (a time traveler, in that book), then you want to cage them up and keep them alive as long as possible. Here, if Lyndon dies, the scepter vision ends and that current reality goes away.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

ah, how did Ronnie describe my home life so well?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

Ohhh, is this a butterfly in a bell jar situation? The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch covered this in that book's version of time travel. If you encounter someone who's existence is the cause for your current reality (a time traveler, in that book), then you want to cage them up and keep them alive as long as possible. Here, if Lyndon dies, the scepter vision ends and that current reality goes away.

you put a spoiler for a different piece of media inside the spoiler text :bravo:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
because that different peice of media may also be the plot they think it's spoilering and don't want to expose it :bravo:

Wait, is it because they spoiled a different o e outside of this one. I guess they could also include the other title outside the spoiler? This is getting dumb

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Oct 1, 2022

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That's basic setup for that other book, it's not really a spoiler. It'd be like spoilering that Harry Potter is actually a wizard and not some normal kid living in his relatives attic or whatever.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chainclaw posted:

That's basic setup for that other book, it's not really a spoiler. It'd be like spoilering that Harry Potter is actually a wizard and not some normal kid living in his relatives attic or whatever.

What the gently caress? :argh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ditocoaf posted:

Awww, what? We're inn Lyndon's vision? Like in The Phantom comic strip? Daaammmmnnn.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Today’s Hark! A Vagrant has some Hamlet spoilers, so beware.

Well I mean, if the Greatest Hamlet was in town, what would you do? Sit on your hands?

Here is a bit of time back in the limelight for Edwin Booth, whose brother hogs the national memory as to what was a-happening back in the 1860’s. Now before anyone asks, because I have a feeling they will, I do indeed know that Edwin Booth saved the life of Robert Todd Lincoln. For those of you who don’t know it, pick up some Sarah Vowell, it is a dang good story.

Of course, Elizabeth could not help but be a fox

with like a throne

Get ‘em Bess

I love how people went straight for figures from the Heritage Minutes. I think we are on to something.

Kite flyin’ Ben Franklin didn’t get a shirt yet, so I made him a comic.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
"You'll believe me when the star thing happens"

god what a good comic

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Grün Bæla

Malgra's brewing up some chaos. I'm sure this will go exactly to plan and not get out of hand at all.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

haha it's like demon world version of Shirley. kinda amusing.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

even though i've ready this comic several times the dead man still creeps me out. just the feeling of being watched at night something primally unsettling about it.

creepy loving monster!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

I'd be lying if I said I never did this to my cats

at least once a week

for the last 8 years

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joost and God burst through the burning roof of Jodocus Manor! God breaks several of Joost's ribs by crushing his ribcage between his knees, forcing Joost to lose his grip on God, then sticks his fingers into the wall to arrest his fall! He bids Joost farewell, and Joost notices the bent and broken spear that was stuck in his shoulder is falling along with him!

Read right to left:

I can't begin to describe how much I love this whole ridiculous back-and-forth countermove-countermove-countermove jojo-fight-while-falling-in-a-burning-building scene :kiss:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Emzedoh posted:

I'm down to post the next story, or I could give it a try and post something else for a bit. What do people think?

I would like to read as much malky dungeon as there is available thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i was worried i wasnt gonna get my daily allotment of joost! my fav panel is I'M BACK BOYS!