Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I can take 18 unpaid days off a year before they give me a talking to. Not counting 5 unpaid holidays

However it is union so my insurance is free besides deductible, I have a pension and annuity. I also have access to a free clinic and another site that will do a full body workup because I work in rad areas and around some scary poo poo. I also get a lesser full body exam once a year.
0 paid days off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A manga about brewing beer. So like magic schoolgirls tracking down rare strain of hops or literally a comic about some dude brewing commercial quantities of bullshit hazy pale ales?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

A manga about brewing beer. So like magic schoolgirls tracking down rare strain of hops or literally a comic about some dude brewing commercial quantities of bullshit hazy pale ales?

I haven't really read it, but it's reality based and I guess more about beer tasting and pairing. It's this group of friends and sometimes they visit breweries (I think).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Escape From Noise posted:

I haven't really read it, but it's reality based and I guess more about beer tasting and pairing. It's this group of friends and sometimes they visit breweries (I think).

manga-chat has been fascinating, thanks!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think that when i leave, i may very well kill the company. It’s a lab focused company, our only product is stuff that happens in the lab, i am one of three people left.

Supposedly my company ceo(who brags to investors that he pays below market rates for our salaries) has been pushing back a rah-rah company meeting for two weeks, until i am back from vacation

A coworker texted me to let me know they are gonna be doing individual loyalty meetings with each employee and that i should be careful or they may try to fire me if i am not a good little wind-up soldier. Then she wished me well in my job search, because she is searching too.

It will be fuckin hilarious if i tell them how into the company i am and how excited i am to be on the team, and then two days later get to give notice

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Time off in an Amazon Fulfillment center:
Unpaid time off (can be spent in hour increments): Formerly 20 hours/quarter, now is you get 3 minutes accrued every hour you work (so 2 hours on a 40 hour work week) on days you don't use any UPT. Can hold a maximum of 160 hours (4 weeks).
Paid time off (can be spent down to the minute): 48 hours a year. Can hold a maximum of 80 hours.

These can be redeemed mid shift, all the managers really ask is an hour or two warning so they can balance the system.

Vacation time (can be spent in hour increments): 1 week your first year. 2 weeks your second. Every year past that it increases until you have 3 weeks on your 6th year (lol, surviving six years at Amazon). Dripfed in weekly allotments. Can hold up to 160 hours.

Vacation requires 24 hour lead time to use, or manager approval. Subject to blackout dates, but if you get your time in before the blackout dates are dropped (i.e. if you schedule a Christmas vacation back in February) your time off is respected.

Why did I post this? To rub in how bullshit rotinaj's lack of time off is. Even loving Amazon Fulfillment workers have more time off than that bullshit. Seriously, six days? Six days!? If the place wasn't already collapsing I'd ask how nothing has caught fire yet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
spending PTO in minute increments seems like some dystopian bullshit.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
all of yall are just jealous of my sweet benefits

If I stay for two whole years, I will be fully vested, and will accrue PTO at a rate of 1.6 hours every pay period(2 weeks)

Suck on THAT, that's some bennies right there

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I mean, it is Amazon.

It's unironically great for the shifts were you're just feeling tired, sore, sick or were told to do something stupid. "Nah man, I'm out."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I get 10 PTO days and then it just stops accruing

I rarely ever take them because my job is insanely easy work from home already, plus I scrape an extra like $1000 a year by clocking in a little early and clocking out a little late every day and it adds up

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
When I started at my company I negotiated up to the max PTO :smug: which is 4 weeks :smith:

My boomer coworker hasn't stopped by my office in a while, which is fine because that means no rants about masks or rants that start with "This administration :argh:" I think he hasn't stopped by because he's mad at me. A product manager keeps asking us for a meeting to go over our trip to a customer in the field. A trip where we were supposed to be working on the product that the product manager manages. This is the trip where boomer decided to work on another product. In our weekly product review meeting in front of everyone involved in the product, product manager asks for an update on our trip. Boomer coworker gives an update on how he worked on a system not related to the product. Product manager, baffled at his response, asks for a separate meeting to review the trip to the customer. We agree. Product manager sends out an email asking everyone's availability at a specific time next week. Boomer's calendar is blocked out in outlook, I assume to block people from inviting him to meetings. I respond that I'm available, feel free to book me any time my calendar shows free, and product manager sends a meeting invite. From this point, boomer has been avoiding me.

It's not my fault man. Just understand the purpose of the trip, do your job on the trip, write a trip report.
Petty bullshit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

rotinaj posted:

It will be fuckin hilarious if i tell them how into the company i am and how excited i am to be on the team, and then two days later get to give notice

Definitely do this. Pledge yourself to making the company succeed and commit to all sorts of extra work to make sure this company survives.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

rotinaj posted:

I think that when i leave, i may very well kill the company.

Lol. Awesome. Don't be disheartened if it's a slow burn. The brewery I left on really lovely terms where the owner tried to blackball me on social media after I gave my notice 3 years ago seems to be in a pretty unavoidable death spiral. They haven't hired anyone with any real experience after I left, upgraded from a 500 liter to a 2k liter system, and can't retain staff, even with fairly decent wages because the owner is an abusive shithead. But watching it slowly burn from afar feels sooooooo good!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

My son, who is a scientific lamp-worker (glass-blower, makes apparatus to spec) had no time off his first year, got a week after the second year, and just got two weeks after year #5. It's a loving travesty.

His fiancee works at a national grocery chain, and while she has more time off than he does (plus sick time), they beat her over the head for taking it & she works insane shifts & rarely has an entire weekend off.

No wonder my kids have anxiety issues.

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me want to arrange a violent revolt.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

My current employer gives us about 15 days a year. It's per pay period accrual so that's some napkin math, but it pencils out about right.

The fucker is that a) we are only allowed to roll over 7 days a year and b) we don't have separate sick leave.

Which is how two years ago I had to burn a gently caress ton of PTO playing video games during one of our business months (November) because lol gently caress no I'm not working for free. These hours don't roll over so it's use it or lose it. Just had it piling up because it's not like I was going to go on vacation during covid.

This is also how I burned up all my PTO this year having covid. I'm now negative because I had to take some time to help my wife deal with some minor-surgery grade health poo poo. Taking a day to drive her to and from the hospital etc.

According to my contract if they fire me today that gets deducted from my final paycheck.

In America, you can tap that FMLA since it's your wife.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla

They're not going to extend that info, but that's DoL, they kinda have to comply if you actually do your end of the work. Unless they specifically carved it out from your employment contract.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I suspect that's designed to allow people to get PTO deducted for running late to avoid a hit to their attendance. The kicker is the "accrual when no PTO has been used" so if you do that, you forfeit the PTO you would earn that shift, setting you back even further. Quite a dastardly arrangement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motronic posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that makes me want to arrange a violent revolt.

To be fair, there's a lot of poo poo that should be doing that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I basically did this, and on my exact 1 year anniversary day at my old job

gently caress that place

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Which goons in this thread work for this lady?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gpkn/ceo-hurricane-florida-families-covid

In Unhinged Video, CEO Who Told Staff to Work Through Hurricane Also Scorned COVID Concerns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CClt5Zj3Y

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah that's the kind of person I want to spend 40 hours a week with.

quote:

“We have an open door policy at PostcardMania,” she added. “I really wish the person who was offended could have gone to their manager or come to me directly, and we could have avoided all of this.”

Lol I'm sure that would work out great

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 1, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is why petit-bourgeoisie are first against the wall.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I get to hear how things are going in my old department (real time operations). I changed positions back in July due to staffing issues making the shift work extra lovely for my family. The director who let things get so bad finally retired at the end of June, and the department manager who just went along with director’s lack of effort got promoted to director. So the big question is who is going to be the new department manager and deal with the dumpster fire of staffing at real time transmission operations at a large electric utility. For context there are 9 people in training for a full staff of 18 dispatchers (they did overhire by 3 knowing more losses were coming).

So I finally got some back channel info on everything surrounding the search for the new department manager. A person who was previously a great dispatcher and has moved up in the ranks to be a good department manager elsewhere was encouraged to put in for this position, so she did. Everyone in the department was looking forward to having her as a boss, because there was the potential for her to push back against the new director.

But of course she didn’t get selected. The new director went with someone he must know from his time at a previous department who has zero operations experience. This person is currently a manager with a single person below them in the org chart. Going to being the head of a 25ish person department that is 24x7x365 might be a fun shock to their system.

I haven’t heard what the feeling is in the dispatch control room, but I have a feeling bleak doesn’t even begin to describe it. I know people were passively looking for new jobs, this will probably accelerate the last of the experienced people to leave.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yeah that's the kind of person I want to spend 40 hours a week with.

"Nobody wants to work anymore!"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I think I may have demoralised a second manager into quitting.

My workplace has... issues. Management issues. Imposed not from middle-management, who are mainly fairly competent, not unpleasant, but rear end-coverers to a one (because the non-rear end-coverers were all fired long ago), but from weirdly unfriendly and incompetent upper management.

Anyway, since I know I'm out of the door after this contract and I'm not worried about a reference, I've taken it into my head to try to fix things if I can. Instinct to improve broken systems.
Obviously this has made me unpopular, since the systems that are broken are management ones, but I've kept it polite, formal, and logical.

I expected this to drive upper management up the wall, and indeed it has, but an interesting side effect has been that as I pointed out the critical contradictions between what we were doing as an organisation, and what goals we had to achieve to survive medium-term, the middle managers above me... actually listened.
So obviously they're quitting.

The one that quit a few months ago specifically contacted me to thank me for the push, and I just had a meeting with another that was awkward due to its lack of hostility where that guy's replacement was... sad and seemingly resigned to his fate.

So what I'm saying is, be careful when you assume that people who behave unreasonably are unable to see reason.
For a start, if this person does quit before I leave, it'll take time to bring the replacement up to speed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We moved to unlimited vacation this year. So far I've taken 12 days off.
Sick time is separate and we get 10 days of it. Covid sick time is separate as well. We also get 12 holidays and weekends off.

Before this job it took me a year to earn 5 days of shared vacation / sick time.

Sorry to you goons who are getting hosed by your lovely jobs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Atopian posted:

So what I'm saying is, be careful when you assume that people who behave unreasonably are unable to see reason.

If you've ever worked with sales you already know that people are incredibly good at not learning/seeing/knowing/recognizing things that they are economically incentivized to not learn/see/know/recognize.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My boss tricked me to come to work at 8:00 am. "We got a meeting with this important client!!!"
I got there, there was no meeting and then he told me that he needed several logo proposals at 11:00 am, because that's when we are really having the meeting (no meeting, i'm sitting here falling asleep alone).

Then got mad when I told him that I couldn't promise a good looking logo and you can't do that poo poo on a whim. I don't even know what the gently caress the client needs.

So I just did whatever. Downloaded vectors from the internet and used whatever I could find in dafont.

THEN he got mad when the proposals and the presentation (oooh he wanted a presentation too!) looked like poo poo.

lol Can't wait to find a new job and get the hell out of here.

Edit: He HAD entire WEEKS to ask for the proposals. ffs.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

What a loving clown. Goddamn

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Sorry to you goons who are getting hosed by your lovely jobs
i’m also an unlimited pto haver. previous job was use it or lose it and i’d always end up taking like all of december off, but now i’m at a place that actually wants and encourages me to take time off and avoid burn out.

i’ve heard this actually is better for the employer since people generally end up taking less time off overall but not for me. i wish more employers weren’t so rigid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

My boss tricked me to come to work at 8:00 am. "We got a meeting with this important client!!!"
I got there, there was no meeting and then he told me that he needed several logo proposals at 11:00 am, because that's when we are really having the meeting (no meeting, i'm sitting here falling asleep alone).

Then got mad when I told him that I couldn't promise a good looking logo and you can't do that poo poo on a whim. I don't even know what the gently caress the client needs.

So I just did whatever. Downloaded vectors from the internet and used whatever I could find in dafont.

THEN he got mad when the proposals and the presentation (oooh he wanted a presentation too!) looked like poo poo.

lol Can't wait to find a new job and get the hell out of here.

Edit: He HAD entire WEEKS to ask for the proposals. ffs.

That's a big part of what led me to get out of Graphic Design

Last job I had in that field was for a sign company that allotted 15 minutes of design time per order and anything past that was considered extra or billable. And I use the term "design" loosely.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

As an old boomer, I have 28-days. That's supposed to include sick time, so they prosaically refer to it as "flex time."

My son, who is a scientific lamp-worker (glass-blower, makes apparatus to spec) had no time off his first year, got a week after the second year, and just got two weeks after year #5. It's a loving travesty.

His fiancee works at a national grocery chain, and while she has more time off than he does (plus sick time), they beat her over the head for taking it & she works insane shifts & rarely has an entire weekend off.

No wonder my kids have anxiety issues.

Mightve worked where your son worked, big optics seller? That place sucks. Coworker lost her child and they garnished her wages for not working mandatory overtime. I realized I needed to quit and did. They have all the white collar pricks in one side doing nerf wars and bringing their dogs in, and the other half is hourly slaves making minimum.

Left to join a union. Making double and buying a house soon

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BiggerBoat posted:

Which goons in this thread work for this lady?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gpkn/ceo-hurricane-florida-families-covid

In Unhinged Video, CEO Who Told Staff to Work Through Hurricane Also Scorned COVID Concerns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CClt5Zj3Y

This makes me think about how people have finally realised that boring politicians are actually great. Our boring CEO who does boring meetings is so much better to work for than this idiot.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My department is kind of weird with time off. Company policy is 25 days PTO. Plus a floating holiday. The usual Federal Holidays as well. Where it gets weird is because I teach training classes, any weeks that holidays disrupt end up as full weeks off for me. In theory my boss tells us that if we have professional development to do or maintenance stuff to do it then. But we get a full week of time just for professional development. So I generally don't need those holiday weeks for anything. Which evolved into my boss saying "If I reach out to you during that week, reply to me in the next two days." which I don't feel is insane. So the week of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the week after are de facto PTO. Some times July 4th and Memorial Day fall into that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

i’m also an unlimited pto haver. previous job was use it or lose it and i’d always end up taking like all of december off, but now i’m at a place that actually wants and encourages me to take time off and avoid burn out.

i’ve heard this actually is better for the employer since people generally end up taking less time off overall but not for me. i wish more employers weren’t so rigid.

Yep, unlimited can be a trap, but when you hit a place that actually encourages its use it can be great. The only trick is getting yourself out of the mindset that you can't take time for yourself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Faustian Bargain posted:

In 2020, one dude on our team used almost none of his PTO so out boss made him take all of December off. Since then, starting in February, my boss will mention in at least one team meeting a month "Make sure you're putting in requests for time off" and uses making us take a month off as a threat.

TBF, it's an effective threat because the dude he made take December off got covid like three days in.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
An interesting thing I learned from a guy who worked in a finance job. He was strictly required to take a month of paid vacation each year. No coming to the office, logging into his email, nothing. Its because its really hard to keep some embezzlement scheme going if someone else has to do your job for a while.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Pekinduck posted:

An interesting thing I learned from a guy who worked in a finance job. He was strictly required to take a month of paid vacation each year. No coming to the office, logging into his email, nothing. Its because its really hard to keep some embezzlement scheme going if someone else has to do your job for a while.

Sounds like a win-win arrangement.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

My job has four weeks PTO (varies depending on how much time you have in, starts at 3 weeks but goes to 4 at about 2 years, and 5 only at 15 years, thankfully it's also separate from holidays), and you can only roll over a year's worth at a time. My boss booted my lead engineer out of the office all of last December because he was going to go over the max rollover limit.

Years ago it used to start out at 1 week and you'd get another week every 5 years, which I guess sucked for the new people, but is great for the one guy who's been in the company 45 years and can just dip for a month at a time twice a year.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
5 weeks of paid vacation per year, on the other hand pay is much lower than in US and taxes are high.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Sorbus posted:

5 weeks of paid vacation per year, on the other hand pay is much lower than in US and taxes are high.

But do you not actually go bankrupt when you go to the hospital? Or go into permanent wage slavery to go to college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

Banks will mandate time off, anywhere between a week and a month depending on the department, yeah. It's not at your discretion, either; it's whenever the bank/auditor decides, so you can't arrange any malfeasance. You'd be surprised how easy it is to bust people doing skeezy poo poo this way, which explains why it's mandatory and managers absolutely fold to that demand.