Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
people need to know that they should not gently caress around with the ocean. tourists drown all the time in hawaii because they assume the large waves at beaches they should not be swimming at that will pile drive their faces into the sand are just pretty props and it is like a fake resort pool instead of one of the most powerful forces in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Stereotype posted:

people need to know that they should not gently caress around with the ocean. tourists drown all the time in hawaii because they assume the large waves at beaches they should not be swimming at that will pile drive their faces into the sand are just pretty props and it is like a fake resort pool instead of one of the most powerful forces in nature.

I’ve spent all my life in Rhode Island and there’s never not a summer where some idiot tourists don’t go out on the break walls when the tide is high and rough to get an awesome selfie for their Instagram and end up getting slammed and drag across the rocks. You can set your clock to it. It’s either that or “The locals are babies how bad could ‘undertow’ really be?”

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

SorePotato posted:

Got to be insurance cash ins

Just like leaving those cranes locked down instead of free-wheelin'

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

holy gently caress miami is so doomed.

Norton posted:

does anyone know a site that might have a nice chart to show the ultimate path and intensity of hurricane ian? im trying to search and all I can find is forecasts.

Wikipedia will when it's all said and done

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve spent all my life in Rhode Island and there’s never not a summer where some idiot tourists don’t go out on the break walls when the tide is high and rough to get an awesome self and end up getting slammed and drag across the rocks. You can set your clock to it.

I got knocked off a jetty by a wave and subsequent waves slammed me into the rocks several times before I was able to scramble up. I was an 18 yr old idiot and I was surf fishing by myself at night. It could have gone way worse but as it was my legs were super cut up from barnacles and rocks. I was pretty much covered in blood from the waist down and lost a shoe.

I couldn't manage riding my bike home so I walked the bike part way and ran into a school friend on the way. She rode me on the bike handlebars back into town and dropped me off with her dad. Because we were on a coral atoll any cut can get infected super bad so her dad (who was the police chief) had me lay down in his bathtub and scrubbed each and every cut with a toothbrush and alcohol.

It was the first time in my life I went through the other side of pain and into the detached calm. I still have a bunch of scars from it.

So be careful around the ocean kids.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The people likely to heed that message are not the ones who need it most unfortunately

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
tourists in hawaii die hiking all the time too. like they don't understand that the 2ft wide ridge with thousand foot drops on either side is dangerous or something. all those trees growing out the side of the cliff and far below them seem soft i guess, also it's too beautiful to be dangerous. hawaii is an exceptionally dangerous place but everyone thinks it's all coconuts and mai tais and exotic women shaking their hips in grass skirts with flowers in their hair.

lots of helicopter crashes too, at least one a year if not more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

tourists in hawaii die hiking all the time too. like they don't understand that the 2ft wide ridge with thousand foot drops on either side is dangerous or something. all those trees growing out the side of the cliff and far below them seem soft i guess, also it's too beautiful to be dangerous. hawaii is an exceptionally dangerous place but everyone thinks it's all coconuts and mai tais and exotic women shaking their hips in grass skirts with flowers in their hair.

i did a helicopter over the volcano there in like 1989 or 1990 and poo poo was like flying up from the lava and bonking the bottom of the helicopter and the family was freakin a bit out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

i did a helicopter over the volcano there in like 1989 or 1990 and poo poo was like flying up from the lava and bonking the bottom of the helicopter and the family was freakin a bit out

i'll always regret not going to big island and taking a helicopter tour of kilauea when it destroyed lelani estates. a geologist friend did it and the pictures were amazing, and it looked so cool.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve spent all my life in Rhode Island and there’s never not a summer where some idiot tourists don’t go out on the break walls when the tide is high and rough to get an awesome selfie for their Instagram and end up getting slammed and drag across the rocks. You can set your clock to it. It’s either that or “The locals are babies how bad could ‘undertow’ really be?”

As someone who lived on the Atlantic (admittedly the other side of it)... yeah..

In my 20ies I went out swimming in the ocean, like I did almost every day.
It was a nice day, sunny, low waves, but then a sudden inrush of cold water caused a massive undertow that almost dragged me out to sea - on a nice sunny calm day.
And I was an excellent swimmer back then, and yet it cost me every last bit of strength I had and then some extra to make it back to the beach. Almost threw up from the effort...

After this incident I basically refuse to go into any open body of water further than my feet can touch. Lesson learned respect earned.

People are loving idiots

VomitOnLino has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Oct 1, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1576012889223270400

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia has a whole TV show, Bondi Rescue, which mostly shows tourists needing to be rescued by lifeguards from the water here lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxEct2HUBYj_mt4t7qR9UYg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

croc get anybody?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Real hurthling! posted:

croc get anybody?

Not at Bondi, but there's sharks around
crocs are all up in the Top End

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I love the ocean and love being near it. One of my favorite things is getting fresh as can be seafood, clamming, and winter walks near the water cause there’s nothing like it but it’s also like loving a fickle and assholish ancient Greek god. I have no misgivings it would gently caress me up on a whim

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oceans are indeed loving terrifying and I don't know how people are so casual about them.

Also, kinda relieved to hear I won't be subsidizing *all* of the flood claims: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hundreds-thousands-florida-homes-lie-flood-risk-areas-not-recognized-f-rcna50002

(Which is a very :newt: thing to say but, seriously, why keep building there?)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

People have very, very weird expectations when it comes to hiking and I actually stopped taking inexperienced people out on hikes with me for exactly this reason. Some people get this idea that's like "we're on the trail so everything we do here is safe" and it somehow overrides basic survival instincts. I had a friend almost go off a ~150 foot cliff while he was with me because he wouldn't stop loving around at the ledge.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I take a lot of people hiking/camping for the first time and the funniest poo poo is the dudes who feel the need to bring a massive knife, a hatchet, and then a backup knife and two flashlights along with multiple sugary drinks and snacks for a two hour day hike.

I take nothing a hike that short, empty hands and no pack or water, which causes them to lose their minds. Two hours is not really that long you just get a tiny bit dehydrated, you'll be fine.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Oct 1, 2022

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

skooma512 posted:

My parents were like during a wildfire. The fire line got within 200 meters of the house and they still wouldn't just get the gently caress in the car. Their plan if they absolutely had to evacuate was to sit in the car in a parking lot as physically close as possible to the house. There was no plan that day other than stay in/around the house. Thankfully Calfire formed a good line and the winds were pretty calm that day.

when i was a kid my school bus dropped us off in our neighborhood which had grass fires all throughout the mile or so and one house burned to the ground
i never understood that poo poo
e: like, actively burning - smoke and fire

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Oct 1, 2022

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
always carry a blade

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Marzzle posted:

weedchat is an improvement over floridamanbloodlust chat :ssh:

how do you consume your decarbed shatter? dab it? eat it?

decarbed == eat, non-decarbed == dab. usually dissolve the decarbed into cooking oil at a ratio of like 5g/30ml, makes a bottle of pure fire, my buddy and I take 2-3ml at a time but normal people might not want to do that

Pryor on Fire posted:

I take nothing a hike that short, empty hands and no pack or water, which causes them to lose their minds. Two hours is not really that long you just get a tiny bit dehydrated, you'll be fine.

not even.... weed? :staredog:

I try to always have water against the 2hr hike that turns into six hrs somehow, or some dehydrated person on a trail. plus weed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the great lakes delight in killing people and it is amazing how many idiots will wander down to the shore in a storm.

for real from november to like, may, you should assume that every great lake actively wants you dead and act accordingly and yet

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I try to always have water against the 2hr hike that turns into six hrs somehow, or some dehydrated person on a trail. plus weed.

Been hiking more days than not for many decades, I have never needed to render first aid or give water to a random person on the trail before. Can't think of a time I've ever needed a knife once either.

Basically everything you learn from boy scouts is useless dead weight.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I moved to Providence last year and I got the impression immediately over the summer that, yeah, it has always been like this here lol (if that makes sense)

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Res6cueOfficial/status/1576025505132089345?s=20&t=I66qaaa5nmCwLuijBZUm1g

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Stereotype posted:

In San Juan PR, there is a beautiful stretch of beach right in the most popular tourist area (condado) that is lined with famous and fancy hotels. That beach also happens to be a death trap, with bad breaks and notorious rip tides. Tourists drown there on a regular basis, but you wouldn't know it from how they show off the area. the hotel and tourism industry does a good job keeping the deaths on the DL. They posted a few signs (away from the shore itself) proclaiming that you shouldn't swim there, but of course the hotels put out beach chairs and do nothing to stop anyone from going in. No lifeguards, either, although there have been enough deaths that they're recently warming up to the idea of finding a few ( except that lifeguards shouldn't be at a beach that you're not supposed to swim in...) The other big idea is for *someone* to pay to construct an artificial reef to disrupt the rip currents, and also to stop the continuous erosion that has been eating away st the $$$ properties for years. Meanwhile, it's business as usual and the locals know to stay away

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

drat y'all. jellyfish alone were enough for me to swear off the ocean forever when I was a kid. idk why some of you needed so much convincing

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I got knocked off a jetty by a wave and subsequent waves slammed me into the rocks several times before I was able to scramble up. I was an 18 yr old idiot and I was surf fishing by myself at night. It could have gone way worse but as it was my legs were super cut up from barnacles and rocks. I was pretty much covered in blood from the waist down and lost a shoe.

I couldn't manage riding my bike home so I walked the bike part way and ran into a school friend on the way. She rode me on the bike handlebars back into town and dropped me off with her dad. Because we were on a coral atoll any cut can get infected super bad so her dad (who was the police chief) had me lay down in his bathtub and scrubbed each and every cut with a toothbrush and alcohol.

It was the first time in my life I went through the other side of pain and into the detached calm. I still have a bunch of scars from it.

So be careful around the ocean kids.

wow that’s a crazy story. I can’t imagine how painful that was

coral atoll? just curious what country was this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the coral here is afree.

But yeah, you never forget the first time the ocean tries to kill you. When I was 18, my 8 year old sister drifted a little too far out on a boogie board so I rolled my eyes and swam out to pull her back in. I get there and when I try to put my feet down, whoops, it's at least a foot over my head. I start swimming and towing her back in, quickly realizing it's a lot rougher out there than I thought. It ends up taking me like 20 minutes to get her back on dry sand, and I walk up and into the house, fall down on the bed, and don't wake up for 4 hours. 25 loving years ago this happened and I haven't been past my waist in the Atlantic since.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That track through Puerto Rico....

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It'll be a direct hit on Tampa

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lock it in

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

It'll be a direct hit on Tampa

I asked several different friends in the tampa/st pete area if they were safe and got 4 separate and individual forms of "Tampa is always fine" so Ian is probably just reinforcing this Floridaman myth that Tampa Is Protected which will make an eventual hit there way worse

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I eat healthy and exercise so that I can live long enough to see Tampa destroyed by a direct hit from a Category 5 hurricane

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My mom is fuckkkked

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh I didn't see your post that it was your mom nvm

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Norton posted:

does anyone know a site that might have a nice chart to show the ultimate path and intensity of hurricane ian? im trying to search and all I can find is forecasts.

Grab a Sharpie, be the map of your dreams!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Grab a Sharpie, be the map of your dreams!

Alabama completely wiped out by first-ever Cat 6 hurricane

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pryor on Fire posted:

Been hiking more days than not for many decades, I have never needed to render first aid or give water to a random person on the trail before. Can't think of a time I've ever needed a knife once either.

Basically everything you learn from boy scouts is useless dead weight.

I did a day-long hike once and a long cycle trip another time where I didn't bring enough water. I wasn't in actual danger, but it spooked me so much that I overcompensated for several years. After noticing that I usually end up emptying most of the water I take with me I've started to become better at packing what I need. I still always take a single bottle of water, a protein bar or two and a small first aid kit on even the shortest hikes. And I carry bicycle repair tools on my bike always, those I have actually had to use twice this year alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh wow you went hiking for a night and didn't use a knife, that's crazy.

Knives are for survival. You pack survival gear in the event you find yourself in a survival situation. Mostly no one finds themselves in a real survival situation by choice so it's just uh risk assessment and management.

A knife isn't the highest on the list though since as humans we long ago discovered sharp rocks cut things. It's still very very useful to have. Highest on the list by far is a lighter. Flint and matches both struggle in wet and windy conditions, far more than a standard Bic would. It's a good idea to stash like a half dozen lighters in various bags and pockets. The more the merrier. Paracord is your next most important tool, its uses are almost unlimited. Then I would say knife and headlamp after that. Shovel next. And so on. A sleeping bag or other means of staying warm or sheltered would be a godsend but its obviously not practical to try to keep around. I keep all this stuff in my purse save the shovel so I'm ready to survive 30 days longer than average at a moment's notice.