Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The hook is that the book is just over the top and gratuitous and enjoy the fun poo poo and pretty art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Codependent Poster posted:

The hook is that the book is just over the top and gratuitous and enjoy the fun poo poo and pretty art.

You raise a good point.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Like Nextwave. Boom-Boom has a real specific niche.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I posted this in the wrong place!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 29, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
imagining the dark period of my life I'd have to be in for my literal entire twitter feed to be complaining about spider-man

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-Man was good but this is the X-Thread and X-Men continues to be good.

I'm always down for some crazy Forge inventions and I like how the team is gelling. It feels like they all gel together while also being supportive of one another.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
A funny thing I just realized is I think the X-Men have the best relationship with their home nation (Krakoa) out of any super team in Marvel, ever

The US government and the Avengers barely get along, every time the government tries to start their own sanctioned team it ends up going poorly, Alpha Flight intermittently evil, underfunded, or not Canadian, and even Wakanda has gotten tired of Black Panther treating the entire country like the Robin to his King Batman lately

But everyone on Krakoa of importance is either a former X-Man or an an X-Men villain, so they all have respect for Scott and his gang of daysavers even when he does do poo poo like confirm mutant immortality

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

huh, no real axe movement this week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OnimaruXLR posted:

A funny thing I just realized is I think the X-Men have the best relationship with their home nation (Krakoa) out of any super team in Marvel, ever

The US government and the Avengers barely get along, every time the government tries to start their own sanctioned team it ends up going poorly, Alpha Flight intermittently evil, underfunded, or not Canadian, and even Wakanda has gotten tired of Black Panther treating the entire country like the Robin to his King Batman lately

But everyone on Krakoa of importance is either a former X-Man or an an X-Men villain, so they all have respect for Scott and his gang of daysavers even when he does do poo poo like confirm mutant immortality

And realize that the reason they could never beat the x men since they throw knives at each other for fun

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Winter Guard have been okay, probably because they bribe the right oligarchs.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

huh, no real axe movement this week.

We got a little in the Avenger's one-shot, though it was mostly "the heroes are inside the Celestial trying to kill it, here's Tony working through his daddy issues."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah these AXE one shots are more just to give some important characters to the story more time between issues. Probably not going to advance the story too much.

Jean's issue next week will probably be pretty interesting.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

glitchwraith posted:

We got a little in the Avenger's one-shot, though it was mostly "the heroes are inside the Celestial trying to kill it, here's Tony working through his daddy issues."

You left out "while Sinister continues to be a glorious rear end in a top hat" which was a highlight for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen talked a bit about it in his newsletter:

quote:

Another week and another slice of Judgment Day – specifically, AXE: Avengers #1 which follows the team trying to infiltrate the Celestial, with a specific focus on Tony Stark. The specials across the next two weeks before the finale – AXE: X-Men and AXE: Eternals - continue the psychic dungeon delve.

Frankly, it’s about this point I’m expecting some people to go “Wait – this is influenced by DIE, right?” Yes, yes, it is.

It was fascinating writing Tony properly after a decade. This issue was a lot, and churned up all manner of things. It was also written at some of the most intense period of work, and about ¾ of the way through the issue I started finding myself empathising with Tony’s weirdly driven, compulsive workaholic nature. Empathizing with Tony Stark is never a good sign for wherever you find yourself in life.

Marvel are calling these specials story-critical tie-ins, which seems to contradict to what I’ve said previously – namely, all tie ins are additional. It’s complicated. The story material included in the specials was originally part of the main series, perhaps as an additional issue, perhaps as an oversized special or whatever we thought worked best. We decided that three specials would be the best way to go, and I agree – it lets us get a different kind of intensity by drilling down on this particularly key characters, which will add a lot to the climax. However, as they aren’t a numbered part of the main crossover, I do re-establish all the key facts in the specials in the final issue of AXE, so if you do choose to skip them, you won’t be lost.

(Though I believe they are included in the main Judgment Day trade.)

However, what you’ll be missing is the journey there, and when this is really such a character-driven climax, I think you’ll miss them. If you’re engaged in Judgment Day – and I hope you are – I would say you would want to read these. As well as the key story beats, they’re absolutely an emotional backbone .

I also like them a lot. They’re the sort of writing I love doing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

You left out "while Sinister continues to be a glorious rear end in a top hat" which was a highlight for me.

That's just Sinister's default state, especially these days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought axe avengers was maybe not an important axe tie in but a good side story if you've been following cantwell's iron man. i don't know if gillen is reading it himself but if not he's at least able to incorporate it pretty well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen is the type to do research when he can, so he almost certainly at least read through it before writing the one-shot even if he hadn't been following it as it was coming out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Endless Mike posted:

Gillen talked a bit about it in his newsletter:

What is the "DIE" he's saying AXE is influenced by?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cartridgeblowers posted:

What is the "DIE" he's saying AXE is influenced by?

One of his creator owned books. It's about DND or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

One of his creator owned books. It's about DND or something.

To expand, if one will recall in the D&D cartoon from the 80's a bunch of kids are transported to a generic D&D world and have lessons about getting along and love and hygiene or whatever complete with the one guy who didn't want to get along so of course he was always proven wrong. Gillen's book DIE is 'what if a band of average gamer dorks were sucked into a game world for years and what psychological scars would it leave, especially when they have to go back after they've been out for a while.'

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah DIE, much like Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children books, is a really nice little examination of the whole "after the kids get out of Narnia and come back to the real world, shouldn't they be traumatized as gently caress?" issue

It was excellent

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't recommend DIE enough. It fully commits to the idea that this fun fantasy adventure would be hosed up to all hell and back. Like the character that is classified as a diplomat, who one day casually says that they hope the errant knight they've been travelling with would wait for their return. Well, their special ability as a Dictator was to bind people's will and fates to her words, so when they return as adults they find a loving zombie knight that can't die because they've been stuck in a living hell waiting for the sweet release of death that only that Player Character could deliver.

The kid who designed this knockoff DND basically made it as malicious as possible, and the mechanics of that poo poo are baked into the world. Like the party member who is an emotion-powered knight only they gain strength from sadness so they have a magic item that verbally and psychologically abuses them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They're also making a tabletop game of it that is pretty neat

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
DIE is amazing and you should read it, it queer af and the art is gorgeous

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
In regards to the issue of X-Men has it been previously established that Charles has the power of telekinesis?

Edit: this article shows him using it in Inferno #4 which I totally forgot about. It also mentions using it to take grab the USB drive that mystique stole at the beginning of HoXPoX but I always assumed it was Magneto doing it to Charles’ outstretched hand https://www.cbr.com/xmen-new-superpower-professor-x-explained/

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 2, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yeah I was wondering that too. Was this ever a thing? I thought it was only Ultimate Xavier that had TK. I know they said the resurrection made him stronger but how do you get stronger with a power you don't have?

I know telekinesis and telepathy gets grouped under the same general powerset of "psychic powers" but I always actually considered them distinct "branches" nonetheless.

Unless 616-Xavier really has shown TK before, in which case disregard all this :sweatdrop:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah he's had telekinetic ability before but it's super weak so it isn't really useful.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
It didn’t seem weak in Inferno

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
IIRC, there were a couple of issues in the Silver Age where somebody, probably Stan Lee, got telepathy and telekinesis confused and Xavier used the latter, but those were explicitly considered mistakes until the Krakoan era.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
xavier once destroyed a sentinel using telepathy

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Mental blast side affects? Killing the sentience in the machine makes it fall apart? Idk.
I don't love it but I guess if Mags can astral project and mind control because of magnetism, Xavs can be a little bit telekinetic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Didn't he use a special suit and some telekinesis to walk for a bit back in one of his cripple days?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Names for "moving things with your mind" also weren't cemented as sci-fi genre conventions in the 60s, when a lot of the early X-Men lore was being established. There's an early issue of Uncanny X-Men where Jean moving things around with her psychic powers is referred to as "teleportation", because "port" means "carry" and "tele" means "distance". Perfectly sensible thing to call it, reads weird today. Probably some of the early Xavier stuff is similar.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Mulva posted:

Didn't he use a special suit and some telekinesis to walk for a bit back in one of his cripple days?

that's what I remember as well, his Shi'ar suit in Fatal Attractions was powered by his tk

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GOD IS BED posted:

that's what I remember as well, his Shi'ar suit in Fatal Attractions was powered by his tk

The period where every mutant's power was "psionic" based.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

Powerful psionic = 'eyes glow and power blasts.'

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Using the power of my mind to heat up my claws

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"bub, these here PSY CLAWS are the focused, neigh-invulnerable totality of the best at what I do"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

danbanana posted:

It's been a cyclical thing for a while, explaining any superpower as "psychic phenomena"

Hell, Byrne's post-Crisis Superman was all about that poo poo, which mostly got forgotten by everyone else until they dusted the explanation off to give Superboy his "tactile telekinesis" that he never shut up about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Now I simply believe that Professor X is like actually X-Man or something.