Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ChaseSP posted:

I haven't posted about the chicks a while because they were moved to what we thought was a secure secondary coup to put them in. It wasn't as secure as we thought and something got in and killed them all gently caress.

I'm so sorry :sympathy:

Roost in peace, little chicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Let's go for no tragic chicken (or quail! or duck! or goose!) death on page 411. We can do it for one page. I believe in us.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I vaccinated Marge’s babies and my newer adult chickens. Although they thought they were dying, nobirdie actually did.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

I'm so sorry :sympathy:

Roost in peace, little chicks

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Poor sweet babies! We learn from our tragedies as their keepers. The next flock will be safer.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, though.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love them, esp that goose. geese have great faces.

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 9, 2022

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

City of Glompton posted:

i love them, esp that goose. geese have great faces.

now my Scarlett has an impacted crop :( i'm working on emptying it today. at least what is coming out doesn't smell bad. hopefully she'll come out of this ok.

Of all my birds, the geese are actually the most gentle when handfeeding. The dicks are the worst because they really SLAM! their beaks into your hand.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

that strut :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQwtXFkGIEY

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that's a mighty fine crow

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 9, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

that one chick might be a tiny cow trying to fit in with her strange new family

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I keep trying to befriend Robert Smith by giving him some tasty mealworms, but he runs away with them to give them to the ladies.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Alterian posted:

I keep trying to befriend Robert Smith by giving him some tasty mealworms, but he runs away with them to give them to the ladies.

I am now imagining you are talking about the actual front man of The Cure rather than a rooster and it pleases me greatly.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband and I always refer to him by his full name. In fact he just said:
"I noticed the other day that the others ignore it, but Robert Smith likes to eat the carrot pulp from my juicing."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of my favorite facts is that in real life apparently all of Robert Smith from the Cure's friends call him "Bob".

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Molly's doing well this morning, had some of her favourite corn on the cob and allowing hugs.

The new three hens have been enjoying the autumn sunshine

Then I spotted something with Sky, the right hand side of her face is swollen and the corner of her right eye is bubbling.

14th August - day of rehoming

Today.

Looks like micoplasma, or that with her messed up beak her nostril being closed has got an infection, but more likely micoplasma. Vet trip tomorrow regardless.

Update:

Sky back from vet. Micoplasma confirmed. Tylan in water for all hens for next 5 days and be biosecure as it is very contagious.

Holy crap, Tylan does not want to dissolve in water!

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 26, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

poor Sky! good luck

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

oh no, your poor flock :h: sending lots of love!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i now leave my dog tied up for short periods to "guard" the quail while they're pobbling around. she's been very good, she's getting desensitised and no longer freaks out at the sight of them. but i have to keep a very close eye on their movements, because they innocently wander up within comfortable eating distance to investigate her and make friends :yayclod:

i'm beginning to think quail aren't very smart

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well, we've decided to get a rooster to keep our flock safer since our plan of keeping one from all the chicks we had ended disastrously. He's sitting in a cage in the chicken run w food and water with the girls also shut in to get them introduced. We placed him somewhat away from the path up and we haven't seen any signs of fighting on him or the girls so hopefully this is going to end out well. Will post pic later but he's a handsome rhode Island red.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ChaseSP posted:

Well, we've decided to get a rooster to keep our flock safer since our plan of keeping one from all the chicks we had ended disastrously. He's sitting in a cage in the chicken run w food and water with the girls also shut in to get them introduced. We placed him somewhat away from the path up and we haven't seen any signs of fighting on him or the girls so hopefully this is going to end out well. Will post pic later but he's a handsome rhode Island red.

Important Q: what'll be his name? :henget:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The geese having a stroll under our fruittrees.

My boi Otto. He is almost 3 years old now and just started growing his train properly for the first time. As you can see he has a few pattern/colour mutations going on so there is a big chance he will get special feathers, probably a muted darker green with white eyes instead of black. Can't wait :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The neighbor I hate and want to move has started passive agressively posting about "who has a rooster?!" on nextdoor. I should get a male peacock next.

Nextdoor is against her. The comments back are either "you don't live in the city! Enjoy it!" or "Better than hearing dogs bark all day!"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ynohtna posted:

Important Q: what'll be his name? :henget:

Red is his previous name and I see no reason to change it given the color theme for our remaining older group.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was told to bring our new acquisition in here:

A student at the university got caught keeping a pet in the dorms. My wife wanted quail ever since we moved into this house, since we're not allowed to have chickens (there was no avoiding living in an HOA here), and happened to see it, so now we're gonna have quail. The cage is just temporary until the hutch she ordered arrives since the kid needed to get rid of her immediately. We'll also be acquiring more so she has some friends (and we have more eggs).

We're still in the process of naming, for some reason birds are tougher than cats.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently her name is Tammy after Rick and Morty.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 30, 2022

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Alterian posted:

The neighbor I hate and want to move has started passive agressively posting about "who has a rooster?!" on nextdoor. I should get a male peacock next.

Nextdoor is against her. The comments back are either "you don't live in the city! Enjoy it!" or "Better than hearing dogs bark all day!"

Peacocks are only really annoying during mating season, so I would get a couple of geese instead. Those fuckers honk at anything moving they dont like (and a slightly cuter honk when they like you).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Alterian posted:

get some guinea fowl

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My ducks never shut the gently caress up. Luckily my neighbors are cool. One even blares 70's rodeo audio over the loudspeakers in her garage.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

A student at the university got caught keeping a pet in the dorms. My wife wanted quail ever since we moved into this house, since we're not allowed to have chickens (there was no avoiding living in an HOA here), and happened to see it, so now we're gonna have quail. The cage is just temporary until the hutch she ordered arrives since the kid needed to get rid of her immediately. We'll also be acquiring more so she has some friends (and we have more eggs).

We're still in the process of naming, for some reason birds are tougher than cats.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently her name is Tammy after Rick and Morty.

Tammy's a cutie. i had a couple quail in the dorms...my poor roommate was very worried we'd get caught. i just put a cd of "jungle bird" ambient noise on repeat and we told people that was the noise they were hearing.

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 9, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Yooper posted:

70's rodeo audio over the loudspeakers in her garage.

I have to know what this even involves

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Imagined posted:

I have to know what this even involves

So it sounds like two Country-Western singers having a conversation, not like 90's Country, but like someone who was born in Abilene in 1937. They discuss the merits of hand hold, twang about snuff, mention the sponsor Marlboro or Pall Mall, then go loving wild with the crowd as Hoss Sam Jenkins from Lubbock launches from the gate on a mean ole cuss named Whacky Sam. Then the quality drops and it sounds like a woman advertising a local dairy from the 70's or some poo poo. They are super into horse shows and such, so it must be something in that vein.

It makes me feel better about being into internet planes and such so I don't ask.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

BaronVonVaderham posted:

welcome, tammy :kimchi: sizing up the apex predator a few inches away without a fear in the world - definitely an authentic quail :allears:

City of Glompton posted:

Tammy's a cutie. i had a couple quail in the dorms...my poor roommate was very worried we'd get caught. i just put a cd of "jungle bird" ambient noise on repeat and we told people that was the noise they were hearing.
lmao

City of Glompton posted:

i ended up taking them home to my parents where they lived the short life of quail in the woods.
sun rise, sun set

i haven't lost a quail for approximately six (6) weeks, this is the point at which i start to get nervous

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

A chicken named Wildflower; my heart cannot take it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tammy's doing so well. She really likes just being near people. The cats are doing fine aside from Iska who I will never trust around a bird ever. Rexie's just curious, as pictured here.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Well, it's been 5 days with everyone having Tylan and it looks like to have worked with Sky's infection.

Little ones are enjoying the autumn sunshine in the garden.

Molly has recovered from her crop operation, and she's finished her antibiotics course, but she's a very old and tired little brown hen.

So she's getting lots of hugs and quiet time..

Edit: Molly still loves her daily corn:

Double edit: Molly put herself to bed.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 2, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I'm glad they are doing well

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 9, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Well, it's been 5 days with everyone having Tylan and it looks like to have worked with Sky's infection.
that's great news. sky deserves health and happiness after everything she's been through.

quote:

Molly has recovered from her crop operation, and she's finished her antibiotics course, but she's a very old and tired little brown hen.

So she's getting lots of hugs and quiet time..

i love molly :unsmith: happy hens are a blessing upon the earth

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

moose does that face in every photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Had a minor but upsetting (to them) incident tonight. I had a solar powered automatic coop door closer installed, to save on trips out first hing in the morning and at night. It's supposed to close a little after dusk.

With the heavy cloud cover it closed before sunset, leaving six displeased hens in the run. I had to remove a pin and open the door by hand. Except they were all lined up on the ramp and wouldn't budge. I had to physically shove two out of the way to open the door. Then they all trooped in a complaining line, giving me the stink eye the whole time.