Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bessantj posted:

That looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Castlevania.

It's a Zelda 2 rip, though they're pretty similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ha. The sprite is maybe a Zelda 2 rip but the rest is original.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I'm not proud of what this was made for, but I AM quite happy with the piece itself and that I managed to accomplish it in 3 days.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

leper khan posted:

It's a Zelda 2 rip, though they're pretty similar

anothergod posted:

Ha. The sprite is maybe a Zelda 2 rip but the rest is original.

Never played Zelda 2. It's still cool.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been thinking a lot about the Gameboy Color, partially because of Mina the Hollower, but also just because I fuckin love the GBC look

Hallow Knight

Elden Ring

:v:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I was extremely inspired yesterday by an image I had seen, Kosai's "War of the Frogs." I decided this game needed to be imagined

Please forgive my palette, I'm literally pulling all the colors at random with no attempt to make a cohesive look

https://i.imgur.com/8JONWwF.gifv

I've gotten in the habit of just making art assets instead of making new side project games ha ha.

This game takes place in a post-apocalypse world where there are no humans. The frogs are playing an extremely elaborate game where they act like humans. Frog kind is currently looking for a new king because they are finding their current democratic system to boring and slow.

You shoot bubbles instead of bullets. When an enemy has 0 hp they don't die, but instead jump out of their clothes and get back on all fours - jumping their way off screen. You loot their clothes pile they leave behind. Most of the NPCs are either extreme home bodies, or extreme A-Types ala Frog and Toad.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This is incredible. Please make this a full on game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:getin: :frogon:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More, please. That is too cute. I want to see what all of his frog friends look like. And maybe newt and bug and fish friends, too.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
that game would do gangbusters BUT DON'T DO IT, finish your current awesome game first dadgummit

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Hello. I'm working on a video game. I don't have enough content to warrant a thread of my own, but some folks in another thread wanted to see my work so I thought I'd share it here.

I'm going for like a Genesis/256 color era vibe. I'm still learning about how to do color properly, for example I think the first image is a good enough drawing but something about the color makes it a little hard to see the sprites. Then again every pharmacy I've ever been in IRL has hurt my eyes and I wanted to capture that a bit.

It is an RPG about being a doctor and trying to defeat death itself in a world that has pretty much gone to poo poo. The fourth, fifth, and sixth images are gameplay, the others are from cutscenes.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2022

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
my freelance work lets me do some pretty nuts things and get paid for it. Alot of the time I'm given free reign besides a prompt and it's really funny how easily wowed people are.
https://twitter.com/GalleonSpirit/status/1506533029547716608

I just finished this after 3 days or so of work and it's funny how I just tore apart that old boss remake sprite and made new stuff around it.
If you play scrolling shooters alot you'll also see a few references in the design!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I did even more GBC style Elden Ring stuff

It's kind of dumb that in year 4 of working on a GBC Zelda clone I'm only now getting it right in terms of palettes :negative:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 23, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Those are really cool, I love the level of detail in the above two posts.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

worm girl posted:

Hello. I'm working on a video game. I don't have enough content to warrant a thread of my own, but some folks in another thread wanted to see my work so I thought I'd share it here.

I'm going for like a Genesis/256 color era vibe. I'm still learning about how to do color properly, for example I think the first image is a good enough drawing but something about the color makes it a little hard to see the sprites. Then again every pharmacy I've ever been in IRL has hurt my eyes and I wanted to capture that a bit.

It is an RPG about being a doctor and trying to defeat death itself in a world that has pretty much gone to poo poo. The fourth, fifth, and sixth images are gameplay, the others are from cutscenes.
What's your process there? Did you draw them with a pen and then "pixelized" them?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Wipfmetz posted:

What's your process there? Did you draw them with a pen and then "pixelized" them?

For the characters I used a tablet to do the basic line drawing like I would on a higher res piece of art and then I just scaled it down and drew over it with simple flat colors and a pencil tool. For the landscapes I made composites using reference photos and then blocked in some very basic geometry just to get the perspective right, then I basically just did everything with the pencil tool. The top down environments were totally freehanded ms-paint style. I'm still getting a feel for those.

Drawing without outlines is fun. It feels way more forgiving, if someone's face is off or something you can just add or remove without having to futz with fussy lines.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm not proud of what this was made for, but I AM quite happy with the piece itself and that I managed to accomplish it in 3 days.

That's a really fun sequence

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone have any tutorials, informational videos or tips for establishing a sense of scale in e.g. a 3/4 view or top down (or even gods-eye true top down satellite view) 32x32 tileset? I've been trying to roughly approximate real-world sizes to a pixel equivalent but it's just clear that that won't work without using lots of multi-tile sprites that just barely utilize a second tile's available space, and that feels weird to me and makes the tileset unwieldy to use. I'm still a very amateur pixel artist but this is where my brain is stuck right now.

e: I am keeping the perspective as simple as possible because the goal of this is to be used as e.g. assets for building TTG maps, rather than strictly video games. Readability needs to be a priority, but it's also important for :reasons: that I stick to a consistent tile size instead of allowing independently-sized doodads or whatever. So I've been experimenting with both a 3/4 type view and true top down. Here's a rough sketch of some things from this morning:

The only games I can think of as inspiration for true top down are Songs of Syx (where it's great, but handled through normal maps and shaders) and GTA1/2 (which only handle vehicles and pedestrians this way). I realize that the difficulty of this is probably why not many games do it.

Do I just need to waaaay up the scaling maybe and make one 32x32 tile far less real-world equivalent space than it is now? (Like 1 tile = one square foot)?

e: I guess I answered my own question, a 3x2 table is much more dinstinctly a table than a 1x1 table, and this would make more sense too in the context of using it as a TTRPG map generator, and would allow sticking more doodads on it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 7, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
For readability in a TTG, true top-down is going to work better than 3/4. 3/4 is super cheaty and doesn't actually make spatial sense in a lot of cases because it's really just relying on fooling the eye into reading a 2d space as a 3d one.

A lot of roguelike games use true top-down and some of them have very good tilesets. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is an example that I think works super well. You can grab the game for free here: https://cataclysmdda.org/experimental/

There are several different tilesets in the graphics options. Msxotto+ and Chibi Ultica are both very complete and should provide tons of examples of buildings, furniture, and terrain in a modern-day setting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

worm girl posted:

For readability in a TTG, true top-down is going to work better than 3/4. 3/4 is super cheaty and doesn't actually make spatial sense in a lot of cases because it's really just relying on fooling the eye into reading a 2d space as a 3d one.

A lot of roguelike games use true top-down and some of them have very good tilesets. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is an example that I think works super well. You can grab the game for free here: https://cataclysmdda.org/experimental/

There are several different tilesets in the graphics options. Msxotto+ and Chibi Ultica are both very complete and should provide tons of examples of buildings, furniture, and terrain in a modern-day setting.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

For the game I'm working on personally I decided to stick to hand-drawn sprites instead of pixel art, but today I reflected on my pixel art from over the last year and here's a collection of it in no particular order, I think some of it is pretty good (The 6 smaller spaceships were all brush shaded but everything else here is true pixel art) :kiddo:

It's kind of a huge pain to do any of that in Procreate though and I'm so used to it that I have a hard time switching to anything else, I tried Pixel Studio but it feels bizarre to me drawing without being able to pinch-rotate the canvas and stuff :argh:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'v given up on pixeling smoke animations for my game by hand.
I'm writing a small little tool now, one which runs some minimalistic particle physics and bakes the results.

While I'm not actually happy with the current result (it needs more variations in movement and colour), I'm kinda feeling like i'm on the right track.

[Edit]
I'm happier now

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 31, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That does look cool, love the effect.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What would a beginner use to start making pixel art "in the easiest way possible"? I'm actually asking for a friend, otherwise I wouldn't be as hung up on finding the easiest way to do it.

I'm assuming the recommendations in the OP are out of date, and that there's probably gotta be some specific software that makes the whole process easier than just drawing big pixels in photoshop.

I think his goal is to learn how to make something like from this post.

Shoehead posted:

I did even more GBC style Elden Ring stuff

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Aesprite

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seconding aseprite

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Aseprite is better for animation but I prefer Pyxel Edit for static stuff

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
For me Aseprite is the prefect triangle of cheap, useful and well maintained, I've been using it for nearly... woah nearly ten years now??

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Awesome, I'm glad there's a consensus so this doesn't get too complicated lol.

My pixel art experience ends at making stamps in Mario paint but, I dunno now that I'm helping my friend out maybe this would be something to get into.

This all started with him deciding he's making a videogame drunk, and me trying to get an AI to make pixel art (it didn't do so well, but I got an idea, just gotta find thousands of well tagged sprites from NES and SNES games) so who knows where it will go, but the thread makes it cooler than I expected it to be.

Secrios
Dec 17, 2012

Secrios
The past month I took a dive into the pixel art genre to capture the spirit of the old nes intro stories to flesh out my fantasy universe of The Obsidian Archives.
This here is a reinterpretation of the famous legend of King Arthur and Mordred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTNj1_en7DA

Secrios fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 9, 2022

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
Here's some of my favorite screenshots from a game I'm making:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey, activity in the thread! I'm interested in doing pixel art, but definitely need to dive into some tutorials because, well...

....yeah.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Save yourself a poo poo load of time and pain by also learning traditional forms of art like pen and pencil drawing

Learn from my mistakes by avoiding my previous arrogance and stubbornness to experiment with traditional art

On that note, I've been drawing for a while now and it has helped, still poo poo at drawing but it does genuinely help

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ash Crimson posted:

Save yourself a poo poo load of time and pain by also learning traditional forms of art like pen and pencil drawing

Learn from my mistakes by avoiding my previous arrogance and stubbornness to experiment with traditional art

On that note, I've been drawing for a while now and it has helped, still poo poo at drawing but it does genuinely help

Way ahead there, I've got a couple of art degrees and am still loving terrible at drawing :v:. It's good to have the reminder to get back into that as well since I've decided to refocus on my artistic pursuits again. Maybe this time I will finally fill a sketchbook?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bredfrown posted:

These are cool and good

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bredfrown posted:

Heyyyy I follow this on Twitter!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

Heyyyy I follow this on Twitter!

Hey there, Shoehead! :D I thank you so much! Your project is looking awesome, too! I’m sorry I missed you! I’ve been using Twitter a lot less with all the bullshit going on, lol - I usually follow cool devs and projects, and I just followed you back. :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bredfrown posted:

Hey there, Shoehead! :D I thank you so much! Your project is looking awesome, too! I’m sorry I missed you! I’ve been using Twitter a lot less with all the bullshit going on, lol - I usually follow cool devs and projects, and I just followed you back. :)

Oh thanks, I love finding out people working on cool poo poo post here :D

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Shoehead posted:

Oh thanks, I love finding out people working on cool poo poo post here :D

I'll be sure to post more! :D
I'm slowly getting back into forums, lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't done pixel art in a little while but I've just started getting back into it recently and decided to do some character animations that I think turned out really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't done pixel art in a little while but I've just started getting back into it recently and decided to do some character animations that I think turned out really well

I love these!
The animation and movements are so fluid and smooth!!