Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

The first batch of FH Strata beer will probably be ready next week. :q:

All of these were fantastic today. No off flavors even close. Full of melon with just a hint of dank weed in the nose in two of three. I will have to make the trip back for the others.

Also notably great we’re the Dark Czech, Sticke Alt and Loral Pilsner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it's fall you know what that means...

cider time!!!!! :coolfish:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I had some really, really nice cider from Farnum Hill recently. I wasn't expecting to be impressed by American cider, but here we are. The extra dry had a nice champagne brightness.

Another producer I enjoyed the same night (it was a cider cruise lol) was Virtue Cider from Michigan.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Kaiho posted:

I had some really, really nice cider from Farnum Hill recently. I wasn't expecting to be impressed by American cider, but here we are. The extra dry had a nice champagne brightness.

Another producer I enjoyed the same night (it was a cider cruise lol) was Virtue Cider from Michigan.

Try Son of Man cider :)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kaiho posted:

Virtue was started by Greg Hall (son of Goose Island's founder and longtime GI head brewer) using money he got from the InBev buyout. When they started they were doing some fun things like BA'd ciders and one that was primarily fermented with brett. But apparently the dude sucks at paying bills because they ended up on some list where farmers wouldn't sell him fruit anymore because he was so far underwater.

But then InBev bought them out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is a local place (minneapolis) that has a lot of cool ciders.

https://number12cider.com/

I remember this one being really good

quote:

LA ROUTE
Notes: Rustic, hints of toffee and dried apricot
Apples: Amere de Berthecourt, Beden, Bisquet, Brairtot, Binet Rouge, Frequin, Douce Moen, Medaille d'Or, Michelin
ABV 7.1%

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

danbanana posted:

Virtue was started by Greg Hall (son of Goose Island's founder and longtime GI head brewer) using money he got from the InBev buyout. When they started they were doing some fun things like BA'd ciders and one that was primarily fermented with brett. But apparently the dude sucks at paying bills because they ended up on some list where farmers wouldn't sell him fruit anymore because he was so far underwater.

But then InBev bought them out.

Ha, he clearly has the number of Mr deep pockets at ABI then.

Some of the bottles I tried were definitely barrel aged - I remember a French oak one that I quite enjoyed, but that may have been a few years old?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kaiho posted:

Ha, he clearly has the number of Mr deep pockets at ABI then.

Some of the bottles I tried were definitely barrel aged - I remember a French oak one that I quite enjoyed, but that may have been a few years old?

The Mitten is (was?) their bourbon barrel aged cider. Percheron was the brett one. I loved Percheron so much when I visited there in 2013ish.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
gently caress this beer is good. Just keep hand pumping it straight into my mouth please tia

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Forest & Main rocks. How's their new location?

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
I never went to the old one, so I can't really say, but it seemed nice and spacious. They don't do their own food anymore, but there are a decent number of options within a block or two of walking. I'll definitely be going back since it's 20 minutes from my folks' place.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sorry to hear the old food menu is gone. The moules frites with saison broth were fantastic when I visited years ago.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Heading to the Cape Cod Brew Fest today. Biggest event I'll have gone to in he past few years and I do not recognize most of these breweries and feel out of touch.

Oh well! :guinness:

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Quiet Feet posted:

Heading to the Cape Cod Brew Fest today. Biggest event I'll have gone to in he past few years and I do not recognize most of these breweries and feel out of touch.

Oh well! :guinness:

Ooh, alcohol infused cigars.

Samuel Adams and Narragansett are the only two I know, had maybe 1 Sam Adams beer in my life, but I'm not from or anywhere near the US.

Child Trebuchet fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 27, 2022

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

:dogstare:

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

* Kicking back * mmmm, damp

Child Trebuchet fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 27, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cigars on ice

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Sure but how's the COMMUNITY?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

Sure but how's the COMMUNITY?

Can't believe you would say that word out loud

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

NYS Wet Hop IPA

It's good

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What varieties did they throw in? I always seem to forget New York state used to be prime hop growing country.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Apparently Michigan Copper Hops? Never heard of em but it's tasty

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010
Far out, strictly by coincidence I was just visiting Brussels over the weekend and realised it was Zwanze.

Ended up joining a group of 4 other blokes from Europe and USA and tried about 16 different Cantillon and a handful of rare 3 Fonteinen / Tilquin.

If you love Lambic I would highly recommend flying there next year and bringing an empty suitcase for incredibly cheap take away

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

RoRz0r posted:

If you love Lambic I would highly recommend flying there next year and bringing an empty suitcase for incredibly cheap take away

On my visit I bought an extra suitcase from the shop down the street.

Hell of a lucky time to just happen to be in Brussels, I’m jealous!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Among my favourite things are American beer dudes being loud and ordering bottles of everything at Cantillon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RoRz0r posted:

Far out, strictly by coincidence I was just visiting Brussels over the weekend and realised it was Zwanze.

Ended up joining a group of 4 other blokes from Europe and USA and tried about 16 different Cantillon and a handful of rare 3 Fonteinen / Tilquin.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I involuntarily read this in Niles Crane's voice. Happy for ya though

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010
I'm actually a New Zealander so you're all fools!

It was really quite funny trying to pronounce everything and being so far off, especially as the night unfolded.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
fesh and cheps

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

fesh and cheps

That's Australian, we say fush and chups!

Anyway, what's everyone been drinking? I see USA fresh hop season is happening

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
ha, i wondered how i should spell it; i worked with a kiwi for a bit, so i know how it sounds, anyway

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of my favorite ciders, from local number 12 cider - la route. various bittersweet french apples, 7.4% abv. the color is i'd say quite a bit darker than most ciders, kind of an orangish brown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Goose Island did a release of a barley wine brewed to replicate an English BW from 1960. They went the full 9 yards on it: brewing a strong keeping beer that was aged in neutral oak with Brett Claussenii for 9 months, blended with a second, slightly different recipe running beer and then bottled and left to mellow.

They had the individual components to try as well as the finished product and they were all really interesting.

What was funny was seeing folks expecting a modern, hoppy/sweet barleywine twist their faces trying the beer and saying things like "I mean it's not what I expected".

Fun evening nerding out over yeast strains and picking out aromas from the constituent beers. I'm glad that the GI old brewery apparently gets to do their own thing regardless of the buyout.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kaiho posted:

I'm glad that the GI old brewery apparently gets to do their own thing regardless of the buyout.

Except form a union. :v:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 5, 2022

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

God drat it.

I wonder if the workers' rights amendment due to be voted on in November in Illinois would change that. I wouldn't know, I can't vote.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kaiho posted:

God drat it.

I wonder if the workers' rights amendment due to be voted on in November in Illinois would change that. I wouldn't know, I can't vote.

You live in Chicago now. Talk to your alderman and they'll be able to sort that out.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Haha, I bet even the Chicago Way wouldn't make it so a non citizen was allowed to vote

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kaiho posted:

Haha, I bet even the Chicago Way wouldn't make it so a non citizen was allowed to vote

Lololololololololololol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Miller High Life is more drinkable than it should be.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The whole point of Miller High Life and its ilk is to be extremely drinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

There's a reason pale lager is the best-selling and most produced beer style in the world.