Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
WHM used to be the healer with the deepest mana pool but in the 6.0 healer rework they decided to make them the most mana constrained healer for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm starting to think Freecure must be load bearing code because the trait has literally been useless for several WHM rewrites at this point.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kwyndig posted:

I'm starting to think Freecure must be load bearing code because the trait has literally been useless for several WHM rewrites at this point.

I have nothing to back this up in terms of the game itself, but I feel it should be noted that on the Garland Tools database, most actions that aren't directly visible to players (such as NPC attacks and certain world item interactions) appear to use either the limit break or Cure I icons.

So it could be, at a blind guess, somehow bound up in their action templating.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AST also gets Enhanced Benefic which is so bad that it doesn't even bait people into thinking it's good like Freecure does

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
An update late for this, but here you go:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chapter 19: Swordsoul II – Red Sun Over Paradise

Musosai-sensei and Momozigo ask for a bit of time to explore Limsa and seek out the next evil we need to vanquish, so Kheris takes the opportunity to check in with good old Curious Gorge. He’s still chopping away at that waterfall, but in the time she’s spent in Othard, he’s gotten up to a lot more than just training. The Maelstrom’s first official Warrior squadron has been formed, just like we were promised. It seems the brothers’ dream of restoring the reputation of the Warrior arts is well on its way to success!

They might be succeeding a bit too much, though. Tales of this unit’s first missions prompted an anonymous group to issue them a challenge to mock combat at the Wolves’ Den arena. Broken Mountain was ready to dismiss this request, but he noticed something intriguing: a personal invitation for the Warrior of Light to join Team Warrior. Since she happens to be back in Eorzea, and the trainees will surely benefit from seeing her in action, Kheris sees no reason not to accept. After all, she is trying to hone her combat skills! Some might say an axe isn’t a sword, but I say those people wouldn’t have the guts to tell the axe that to his face, ergo they should shut up.

When we arrive, we find that our opponents are a squad of Marauders, mostly big burly Roe men. I can’t help but also notice the solitary Au Ra woman among their number. They’re wearing some embarrassingly familiar “disguises,” in the form of helmets that do nothing to obscure their identities, particularly when they greet Kheris by name. Gorge and I make quick work of them.

Something about Mountain actually being surprised and Kheris’ abject failure to fake it makes me happy.

Gorge is an old friend of the guildmaster and tries to greet him, but our pleasantries are interrupted by a foreboding presence. At the rear of the arena, that Au Ra marauder has thrown off her helm and lets out a roar of pure, primal rage. When her teammates attempt to investigate, she sends them flying with the flat of her axe and then turns her ire on us! Her eyes pulse with the tell-tale glow of an unchecked Inner Beast. She bears the power of the Warrior and has lost all control! COULD THIS GET ANY WORSE?!

…The answer is yes. It can get so much worse. Left defenseless by his hormones, Gorge gets what is coming to him.

As satisfying as that was, we still have the rampaging berserker to handle. Kheris takes the job, and it’s soon apparent that this is no soft target. The girl’s Inner Beast gives her abilities unlike anything The Warrior of Light has seen before, including the strength to rip huge chunks of rock out of the ground and the ability to conjure explosive balls of flame. Luckily, Kheris has her Beast under tight control and finesses her way past this feral assault, disabling her opponent.

The Au Ra is Xaela. She identifies herself as Dorgono and her tribe as Qerel, one I’ve not met before. She explains that this power is common in her clan, though they refer to it as “the Will of Karash.” Mountain notes that it makes sense that others around the world could have found a way to tap the power of the Beast since it stems from a primal instinct (the protective instinct, as we learned last time) which all the races of Mankind are born with. I guess that’s the closest we’ll ever get to an outright explanation of what the thing is: not some distinct entity that shares power with you, just a natural part of yourself that feeds off your instincts and emotions to create superhuman abilities, most likely by flaring up the body’s internal aether and channeling it into your flesh to heal and enhance.

His explanation leaves Dorgono floored because she never imagined the Inner Beast could be controlled. Her people consider the power a curse, and those who manifest it are exiled. If we can teach her our methods, she can share them, changing the course of her tribe’s destiny!

The only bad news is that Curious Gorge, staying true to his character, has decided that being effortless flung into the sea means he is a terrible warrior and unfit to help anyone, so he’s leaving. I see it’s a day that ends in ‘Y.’ To be fair, if you seek him out at the waterfall, it turns out things are a bit more serious than his normal moody defeatism.

So, the protective instinct tames the Inner Beast, pride makes it run out of control… and horny shuts it off. Who knew?

With Gorge down for the count, he opts to spend his time at the Marauder’s Guild, trying to get his powers back. Day after day, he firmly grips his axe handle and swings it over, and ov- You know what, let me try that again. Without Gorge, Mountain must lean on Kheris if training Dorgono goes wrong. Nobody else can subdue her safely. His plan will undoubtedly benefit from having someone of the Warrior of Light’s prowess on hand: we must attempt to manufacture the awakening of the girl’s protective instinct. That means putting her into a heated battle against something dangerous enough to threaten her comrades, knowing that she will become an equal threat if it doesn't take.

The ‘good’ news is we have a candidate: a Mamool Ja warband that has dug itself into the ruins of Nym and turned bandit. We meet up with Mountain’s squadron in the Nymeian outskirts, who are stoked at the opportunity to work with the idol that made their training possible. Sadly, they won’t get that chance because the battle needs to be risky enough to flip Dorgono’s switch. Kheris will flank the enemy force and eliminate its sentries while they take on the fighting core without her. If our new friend loses control, they’ll run like hell from the carnage and fetch Kheris to bail them out. A plan worthy of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

Ironically, this scheme goes too smoothly. When our protagonist catches up with Warrior Squad, they have triumphed over their foes. While the battle was harrowing, Dorgono’s Inner Beast did not manifest itself. At first, she takes this as a sign that her training was a success, but Gorge appears to tell her that she hasn’t tamed it, merely suppressed it. He can tell because he watched the battle from the bushes (Bruh…), and she hesitated with every swing of the axe, just as he did when he feared to challenge his own Beast.

Oh, it’s going to be one of these…

Mountain agrees with Gorge’s assessment, and after being chastised by him, Dorgono finally admits she spent the entire battle preoccupied with her team potentially worrying over her. Even defeating her opponents was a secondary concern to not causing others trouble, and her Beast remained at slumber with pride and the desire to protect both absent. It speaks to her prowess that she was still an effective part of the team, even with so much emotional turmoil.

If nothing else, the job got done, so Mountain leads the lads back to base. However, Dorgono takes a moment to pull the Warrior of Light aside and privately offers gratitude for her help.

…Is she coming on to Kheris? :stare: No, I must be reading too much into it.

Mountain has begun to suspect what’s wrong with his brother. He’ll soon postulate that falling in love (or at least in lust) with Dorgono, combined with his self-loathing for being so easily trounced and his anger over her disrespectfully goading him, has left his emotions such a jumble that the Beast can’t feed off them, hence the loss of his powers. Sadly, there’s no time for us to worry about that. The Mamool Ja regrouped after we drove them out of Nym and now plan to attack Wineport. We could have a massacre on our hands, and if they can secure the town as a new base of operations, the entire coastline will be under threat.

We have to head them off on several roads through the jungle since we cannot know which path the attack might take or if they might use them all. Kheris can take one route by herself, but Mountain is reluctant to put Dorgono back on the line in her untampered state, so he’s unsure if the rest of his men can handle the job. This is when Gorge appears from his latest voyeur nest. He assures his brother he can lead the men, and given the dire situation, Mountain agrees. Naturally, he lives to regret it.

Kheris hastens to the site where the team was ambushed, but by the time she arrives, she’s too late. To save the Mamool Ja, that is.

Gorge is helpless, so Kheris prepares to subdue a rampaging Inner Beast once again… but against all odds, Dorgona retakes control! She jumps for joy, her success at overcoming her ‘curse’ overwhelming her so much that she doesn’t even notice when Gorge slinks away in shame. One would think he’d be stoked because she tamed the Beast through her instinct to protect him while he was hurt and thus cares about him on some level despite her insults. Instead, all he can do is mope about his failures. This guy can be so emo.

With La Noscea once again safe, Dorgona feels she must return to her tribe at once. This method to control the dreaded Will of Karash must be delivered so exiles such as herself can finally come home. But before she goes, she once again asks to speak to Kheris in private:

SHE IS COMING ON TO KHERIS! And not in a half-assed way; that’s like three-quarters of a marriage proposal! I opt for a rare ellipses dialogue option because, frankly, I think this would leave my girl well and truly speechless.

Ah, yes, of course. Let’s forget about this… :blush: As Dorgona ships off for Othard and Curious Gorge finds a hole to crawl into, Kheris makes her way back to Limsa where a cold shower Musosai is waiting for her.

~*~*~

While she was away, Sensei managed to get himself into trouble with the Yellowjackets. A serial killer is loose in Limsa Lominsa, and an autopsy of the victims has led to the conclusion that they were all killed by a katana. Fortunately, Momo was there to testify that the old man didn’t arrive in the city until long after the killing spree began, so he’s been cleared. Still, he’s not inclined to let this evil run rampant. After all, we’ve established that the katana is a symbol of peacekeeping in Hingashi. For it to be perverted into a weapon that takes life without cause is the gravest of sins.

We investigate the marketplace, and there seems to be no pattern to the killings. City natives have been taken out, but so have travelers from abroad. Even the Beast Tribals who do business here haven’t been spared. The only thing they have in common is the site of their murders, the docks near the Rogues’ Guild. Assuming this slasher hasn’t changed their hunting ground, the plan is simple: one of us will act as bait to draw them out, and the others will pounce before they can strike. The only question is, who wi-

As if there was any doubt. More surprisingly, the assailant turns out to be a Lalafel.

He flees before Momozigo’s scream can attract the guards. Luckily, Musosai managed to pick up a crucial detail from glimpsing the enemy: he’s carrying a somewhat famous katana. While he doesn’t bother with the blade’s history, he does share that he witnessed the purchase of that sword by a Lalafel merchant in Kugane. This businessman was obsessed with swords, and when he found that one, he paid a small fortune to add it to his collection.

Momozigo knows only one wealthy Lalafel merchant on Vylbrand, the always amusing Gegeruju of Costa del Sol. Kheris would doubt he’s the killer, but it’s the only lead we’ve got.

Our favorite resort owner recognizes his old pal, the Warrior of Light, and makes it clear that whatever she’s here for, he absolutely didn’t do it. When he learns it’s a murder investigation, he’s relieved because he actually didn’t do that. But he does know somebody who might fit our bill.

Gurumi Borlumi, a business rival of his, is the owner of a Far East trade ship. He’s made a fortune moving goods between Eorzea and Othard, and he uses that money to ‘indulge in extreme excess.’ For Gege to characterize it that way says a lot. Crucially, one of his most famous excesses is an obsession with Far Eastern culture, including a vast katana collection. He even commented at a recent social gathering about how much he wished he could feel what it was like to cut someone down with a fine Eastern blade. Yikes.

The information is exactly what we need, but it might have come too late. Our killer lives on his vessel, and he’s preparing to sail back to Othard. It could be months before he returns, and who knows if we could find him if we gave chase? We have to infiltrate the ship immediately… and by sheer coincidence, he’s throwing a going away party! Gegeruju has an invitation he happily hands over to us, and he even loans Momo a set of clothes, so the guards will let him and his two ‘bodyguards’ into the party without taking their weapons.

Our party is soon ferried to where the cargo ship is anchored off-shore. Everyone is tense. We have to be ready for anything. After all, we’re dealing with an absolute psychopath!

Oh god, it’s worse than I thought. He’s a WEEABOO! :gonk:

When we’re granted our audience with the host, Musosai instantly accuses him of the murders. He gives himself away by admitting he recognizes Momo, but he wasn’t really denying the accusation to begin with. Gurumi thinks he’s untouchable, bragging about how good it felt to kill even after Musosai-sensei announces he will put the Lalafel to the sword rather than bring him in alive. His confidence is rooted in his bodyguard, a former champion Gladiator.

Musosai is not impressed by that dumb backhanded katana grip and instructs Kheris to take this dirtbag on alone to prove what a true Samurai is capable of. Gurumi responds by calling down a quartet of Ninjas to back his man up, but Musosai remains unconcerned and leaves Kheris to it. Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, you old bastard!

Granted, it’s not the first time a mentor has sent Kheris to fight stupid odds alone to prove her training or vindicate the honor of her Job. But this IS the first time she’s had to do it with such a challenging job quest.

As I leveled up, I noticed that Samurai felt… fragile compared to most other melee classes I’ve played. I’m sure that compared to Ninja or Dragoon at the same levels, Samurai was running out of HP faster during fights, even when I made liberal use of my self-healing abilities. Maybe that was something I was imagining, but it might also be partly because Samurai’s job-specific defense skill, Third Eye, is very different from its peer equivalents. 10% damage reduction on a 15-second cooldown with a four-second duration gives you a lot of protection uptime, but that’s only if you’re cognizant enough to keep it rolling at much as possible. That’s asking a lot from someone playing a job with seven basic attack buttons, in my opinion.

I bring this up because the battle on Gurumi’s ship was punishing. I don’t know if its because Samurai is actually easier to kill than other Jobs, my Ironworks ilvl 130 set was out of date already by this level, if I was screwing something up during the fight, or if there was simply some scaling miscalculation happening in the quest. But regardless of the reason, I got myself killed three times trying to beat this, by far the worst time I’ve had trying to complete any Quest Duty.

Part of this can be laid at the feet of the quest being mechanically challenging. There are three waves: first, the Shinobi, then a second group backed up by a giant baboon creature from Doma being kept as a pet, and then the one-on-one duel with the False Samurai. You can tell he’s false because he cheats by throwing POCKET SAND.

But far above the mechanical challenge, this doofus hits like a truck. I had to time all my defensives carefully, bring a couple of potions, and use my ranged attack, my offensive cooldown, AND my new Kenki Gauge attack to bring him down. All while Musosai is yakking about how he’ll be surprised if this brute gives his student any trouble!

The Kenki Gauge, by the way, is a second resource system that unlocked as soon as I got into post-50 levels. Just an energy meter that builds up while I make my regular attacks and can be spent on a big hit, a charging strike, and (after this quest) a backstep that also boosts your ranged attack’s damage. It’s an excellent addition in theory, though I was annoyed at it for these first few levels because the meter builds so slowly that I was lucky to get off more than one strike per fight.

When I finally manage to overcome that bear of a battle, the little psychopath runs for it. He manages to get aboard one of his lifeboats and rows for the Costa del Sol docks, but we’re right on his tail. Not used to exerting himself unless it’s against helpless murder victims, he’s ready to collapse once he reaches the shore, so we catch him. The little monster asks who the hell we are to do this to him, and Musosai gives his name. This is a shock because the name is a famous one in Kugane, and when Momo asks him about this fame later, the old master evades the question. Very curious.

But before any of that, we have to settle with this piece of garbage. Musosai had said that he did not intend to hand Gurumi over to the authorities and would act as judge, jury, and executioner himself. The guy no doubt deserves it, but he’s also helpless after rowing to shore. Killing him in these circumstances would be cold-blooded murder, not even worthy of the word ‘revenge,’ let alone justice. As a Paladin and Dark Knight, Kheris was confronted with difficult questions about the nature of justice and how to bring it to those insulated by wealth or prestige. However, she also concluded that she would not allow the dogma of either of those paths to define her ideals or use their powers indulgently. She wouldn’t just stand aside and let Musosai deliver his death sentence.

Fortunately(?) for her, Gurumi takes the choice out of all their hands. Wrapped up in his delusions, he draws that katana he bought in a store and lunges for Musosai, screaming that he will kill the old man regardless of his status as a ‘legend.’ Sensei could have probably disarmed and subdued the fool easily, but he is not inclined to show this one such mercy.

A troubling ending to a dark story. I can’t help but feel that Kheris would be extremely conflicted by what she just saw. Her instinct would have been to take the guy alive even then, give him over to those he harmed for justice to be done rather than inflict it herself. But that isn’t who Musosai is. He chose to serve no master but himself, which means he fully believes that he has the right to make these kinds of decisions when performing his duty to maintain the peace of the land. There is no question in his mind that what he did was correct, nor that he had the right to do it.

It’s a position that would surely strike her as arrogant and self-righteous… but does she have the right to say that after all the times she’s brought peace to the land at the edge of her sword? She may talk a big game about ideals like following the people’s will, but she’s put her own will into place more than once by dint of her power. That wasn’t her intention, and it was almost always at someone else’s request to one degree or another, but it’s hard to deny that’s ultimately what ended up happening. And she has no doubt it will happen again.

It’s another form of that conflict she’s been struggling with, the push and pull between her belief in collective action and her impulse to take the world onto her shoulders. She doesn’t believe she has the right to dictate what is right, only to present a helping hand to those who need it and an example for others to follow. Yet those she’s trusted to make the right choices or follow her example have let her down many times. The desire to do it all herself, so nobody else gets hurt, continues to rear its head. Musosai and the Samurai way represent a potential resolution to that conflict. But if she were to embrace that mindset, that she has the right to make those judgments for others because she serves a higher ideal, is she any better than the Garleans? It’s a chilling thought.

Well, at least we got our wealthy friend to dispose of the corpse so we don’t have to answer any awkward questions the authorities might ask. Yeesh.

Musosai is concerned that this outing has not done much for Kheris’ training. A samurai will best develop their skills by facing other samurai, and all we’ve fought are a bunch of fakers. Still, at least we’re excising evil from the land. And yet, all might not be well. Musosai briefly collapses to one knee in mid-sentence. He tells us not to worry; it’s just his body reminding him he’s not a youngster anymore, as it tends to when he overexerts himself. But I’ve seen a Japanese film or two, and I can smell a tragic plot twist on the wind.

Speaking of the wind, we need to keep following it to find more evil, and it’s blowing toward the forest. Oh boy, Gridania. I’m sure there won’t be anything that deepens any moral conflicts about whether it’s right to make decisions for people when they’re horrible in that particular city-state. But Kheris isn’t the only one concerned about our next destination. Momozigo looks pretty nervous about where we’re going as well. I wonder what has him so spooked…

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The 54 Samurai solo duty has always been a weird difficulty spike, even before the number squish brought on by EW's release. I think it's a combination of over-tuning and that your i130 gear no longer has an advantage over dungeon gear at that level.

Fun Fact(TM) about SAM's gapcloser; it used to be a very inefficient way to spend your Kenki before the 6.1 removal of Kaiten. You only ever used it if you would lose a GCD otherwise from being away from the boss too long. Now it's the same Kenki:potency ratio as Shinten, so its used to control Kenki gain during bursty moments.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 1, 2022

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yeah, that particular fight gives a lot of people trouble. Coming into it with the 54 or 55 set for those little bits of extra defence is not a bad idea.

Gorge continues to be an emo loser, but Dorgono is pretty good. And that whole bit of pondering over Musosai's actions and Kheris's opinions on them is excellent.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 8, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There is also a specific change to Samurai made in the transition to Endwalker that makes this, and any other solo duty, harder.

Third Eye used to have a follow up option called Merciful Eyes, which was a pretty good self heal (about a quarter of the heal given by second wind).

Right now the only real option for self heal is the melee role action, bloodthirst. Which heals you based on the damage done by your attacks, and so can turn Midare Setsugekka into a pretty potent self heal. In the end it's worth remembering that Third Eye is oGCD. You can use it between your GCD weaponskills with no issue.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I remember that being a pretty rough mission. Honestly, after having done most of the job quests in the game, it's weird how unbalanced they can be. So many are a total cakewalk, but randomly there will be one that is extremely punishing.

I liked the addition of Dorgono and her backstory, since it gave me something I could use for my character. I also play a female Au Ra Warrior, with the same scale patterns and horns as Dorgono, so it's easy to say we came from the same tribe with the same Inner Beast issues.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Here's where I admit my Xaela girl's backstory had to be...significantly rethought, when I realized the "Qerel" clan name I picked more or less on a whim ended up having some...very specific elements attached to it. :black101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That Samurai quest is notorious for being extremely hyper tuned. I was also in the best gear possible at that point and that lousy Gladiator Roegadyn beat me like a dirty carpet more than a few times. I think I had to buy potions and spam them and role actions to survive.

Doesn't help that Musosai disparages you when you die! And every other battle in that job questline (including 60 - 70) is super easy in comparison!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That Samurai quest is notorious for being extremely hyper tuned. I was also in the best gear possible at that point and that lousy Gladiator Roegadyn beat me like a dirty carpet more than a few times. I think I had to buy potions and spam them and role actions to survive.

Doesn't help that Musosai disparages you when you die! And every other battle in that job questline (including 60 - 70) is super easy in comparison!

I disagree that every other quest battle is super easy.

Honestly I don't remember this one being all that hard, but I also just don't remember this one much at all outside the "Eorzean Samurai".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah I remember having to cheese that duty a bit by refusing to finish off few last-standing enemies who would trigger a phase change when downed, so that I could get in a free extra round of second wind, bloodthirst, and merciful eyes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Even on launch, Blood on the Deck was considered one of the tougher solo duties. And although Merciful Eyes has been brought up a few times, it was a level 58 ability so it didn't get to factor into this fight (which syncs to 56).

No, at 54 your only new abilities would have been Hissatsu: Gyoten (the gapcloser) and Hissatsu: Kaiten (the previously mentioned, recently expunged ability that made your next weaponskill deal 50% more potency), both Kenki spenders. As for why Kenki builds so slowly right now, well - you're only getting it from your combo finishers - 5 from Gekko and Kasha, 10 from Yukikaze, Mangetsu, and Oka - this is actually slightly more lenient than it had been from launch until Endwalker, because you wouldn't get that Kenki gauge from Gekko or Kasha unless you hit the proper positional, too! (You still want to hit the positional for the added potency, however.) Endwalker changes also made Third Eye grant 10 Kenki when you take a hit while it's active (since it no longer has its associated moves).

The guy just hits hard and the designers really wanted you to lean on Third Eye and Bloodbath, I suppose.
(The Ageha ability in this was one of the old "execution"-style oGCDs - deals some decent damage and gives benefits if it achieves a killing blow (30 kenki in this case), but can only be USED if the target is in the last 20% of their health bar.)

Also, don't think I don't see that title. :colbert:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Ah, good point on the unlock matter. Well, I guess that means it's roughly as rough on healing now as ever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hogama posted:

Also, don't think I don't see that title. :colbert:

No points for guessing the subtitle of Swordsoul III

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That aside, I think it's pretty great noticing now that 5 years apart, we both used the Iroha glam for Samurai questin'. I mean, it's pretty apropos, but still.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SAM was one of my very first jobs, and I definitely remember that the quest duties were a noticeable step up precisely because of how fragile they can be. Don’t be ashamed to use the Echo buff if you fail, this quest and at least one later one kicked my poo poo in something fierce.

On the plus side, though, at least they’re some of the most cinematic job quest battles around, considering how many of them feel like they’re ripped straight out of a samurai flick.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I tried that quest so many times in a row without a full set of i130 gear that when I did finally upgrade to full Augmented Ironworks I cleaned that fake-rear end samurai's clock right good. It is a hard fight and it demands that you throw everything you've got into it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
It's funny that Musosai criticises Ostyrgrein holding the katana backhanded yet the player themselves do it after idling with your weapon out.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh look, it's my favorite NPC, Rawhide Kobayashi.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the warrior quests in stormblood are a romance arc from a shonen anime, and this is all right and proper

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
It is worth noting that in terms of being hard to kill, Samurai is really not that different from other melees. It's true that Maiming gear is very slightly better defensively than Striking gear, but it doesn't make an appreciable difference. And the fact that Samurai even has a non-role defensive skill is pretty unusual (although not completely unique among melees).

It's just the quest being unusually brutal for whatever reason. I think it's because Stormblood is when modern class design and combat design took over, so tuning is a bit off for some quests due to those changes.

Also, I swear, the WAR quests at this point are the writers throwing up their hands and going "F it, we can't figure out a way to make WAR both serious and compelling, so we're just going to do something silly"

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 1, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The samurai there is tough but I died a couple times to the monster before him, because iirc it doesn't show the aoe marker until its too late to get out of it. Instead it has an extremely long wind-up animation before throwing out that attack. I hadn't really been paying attention to enemy body language before that, so that was a lesson learned the hard way.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
When Au Ra were first implemented in Heavensward, they got a naming convention post on the official forums like everyone else. Notably, though, theirs enumerated the 51 commonly-known Xaela tribes and their customs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I disagree that every other quest battle is super easy.

Well, perhaps super easy was a poor choice of words, but I don't recall any other Samurai quest being nearly as punishing. Level 60's capstone would probably be the closest, but even that felt more fair.

sirtommygunn posted:

The samurai there is tough but I died a couple times to the monster before him, because iirc it doesn't show the aoe marker until its too late to get out of it. Instead it has an extremely long wind-up animation before throwing out that attack. I hadn't really been paying attention to enemy body language before that, so that was a lesson learned the hard way.

Those guys and the cyclops enemies are the only ones that do untelegraphed strikes, as I recall, so it's always fun when you do something like (the old) Aurum Vale the first time and suddenly everyone just gets bludgeoned to death by his spin to win move.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Pyro Jack posted:

It's funny that Musosai criticises Ostyrgrein holding the katana backhanded yet the player themselves do it after idling with your weapon out.

Male characters do. Female characters have a different idle pose.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pyro Jack posted:

Only if your character is male, which I hadn't realized yet by the time I did that quest. It was funny to realize later that all dude PCs hold their katanas like that while idle.

I sometimes feel like I was the only person who got that quest done in one, but it WAS among the hardest job quests I'd ever done. I still feel there's a Stormblood job quest that's even more brutal to do at-level (to the point of being genuinely unfair), but that's a rant for another time.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the warrior quests in stormblood are a romance arc from a shonen anime, and this is all right and proper

The Warrior job quest story for Stormblood is wonderful, yes. Dorgono is a great addition to the cast of dorks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AncientSpark posted:

It is worth noting that in terms of being hard to kill, Samurai is really not that different from other melees. It's true that Maiming gear is very slightly better defensively than Striking gear, but it doesn't make an appreciable difference. And the fact that Samurai even has a non-role defensive skill is pretty unusual (although not completely unique among melees).

It's just the quest being unusually brutal for whatever reason. I think it's because Stormblood is when modern class design and combat design took over, so tuning is a bit off for some quests due to those changes.

Also, I swear, the WAR quests at this point are the writers throwing up their hands and going "F it, we can't figure out a way to make WAR both serious and compelling, so we're just going to do something silly"

Ehhhhhh, whilst it's true that Samurai has a defensive. Of the defensive buttons that exist on melee it's the weakest, for it to do as much as the closest equivalent (on a job not yet seen), the boss needs to hit you for more than your entire health bar. Samurai also completely lacks additional self healing, which is something almost every other melee does have. In fact, I think every Melee except dragoon has their own defensive, and dragoon instead gets a potent self heal button.

It's why the removal of Merciful Eyes is so frustrating, even if actually USING merciful eyes was a dps loss every time.

Samurai gets to use Third Eye the most of any melee defensive, but it is also very much the weakest, and part of why you can use it so much is more to do with dps optimisation than any functional survivability, something also related to the old functionality of Merciful Eyes.

For the record, I actually found this particular duty easy enough, but I also was maining Samurai at the time, so it had up to date gear for the level it is at. Something the item level squish at the end of Shadowbringers might also have made a mess of come to think of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And the best time for me to have discovered my clone (2 fantasias ago).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And the best time for me to have discovered my clone (2 fantasias ago).

My clone was the evil sword collector from the samurai quest :(

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I love this arc so much. FFXIV doesn't really do romance much, so this happening during the Warrior plot line was just a WTF moment. In a really good way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OddObserver posted:

I'm sorry your reunion with your brother was in such dire circumstances

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

OddObserver posted:

Mine is Tansui, the second-in-command of the Confederacy who we already met. My hair's not purple though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For all my criticism of Stormblood, I think it has some of the best Job Quest arcs.

However given the layout and size of zones compared to HW I think it's smart to wait until unlocking flying in all areas (which means beating the main story) before bothering with them. It's just easier to appreciate the writing when you don't have gameplay hurdles in your way.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, yes, even in the good Warrior quests, Curious Gorge is still annoying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Curious Gorge, this is the third week you've shown your inability to control the Inner Beast to the class.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
my clone is lolorito but i didn't realize it until recently because of very different clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
WARRIORS WANT ONE THING AND IT'S:

https://i.imgur.com/udIUGDG.mp4