Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Would have been real nice if God explained germs back when he was giving the whole spiel about "unclean" things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i think ghosts exist in the sense that people see phantom images of people or animals they were used to seeing or that they were primed enough to see

Shibawanko posted:

yeah but thats not really a ghost

Yeah, pretty much. It’s like saying “I believe in Bigfoot in that I believe that it’s a hoax that people want to believe”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
To be fair, if he started going on about microscopic things like germs they'd probably think he was crazier than they already did. He was saving that for the advanced course.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Compromise: Bigfoot was real, but went extinct in the 1800's due to habitat loss like every other large mammal in North America.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nameless Pete posted:

Compromise: Bigfoot was real, but went extinct in the 1800's due to habitat loss like every other large mammal in North America.

If we can find ruins of ancient mega cities we can find a single bigfoot skeleton. But we haven’t

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

maybe there's a different mystery ape that feeds on their skeletons

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nameless Pete posted:

This is covered in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

This is covered in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

Dude don't remind me. That poo poo was straight sad

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh please, they eat babies!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

yeah I eat rear end posted:

maybe there's a different mystery ape that feeds on their skeletons

And then they went extinct from starvation in the 1900's after eating all the Bigfoot skeletons.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nameless Pete posted:

And then they went extinct from starvation in the 1900's after eating all the Bigfoot skeletons.

Couldn’t they just eat other skeletons

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
A mainlander friend of mine explained it thusly: they are an atheist because they don't believe in things that are fake, like gods. But since ghosts are obviously and proveably real, believing in ghosts is just believing in reality.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

A mainlander friend of mine explained it thusly: they are an atheist because they don't believe in things that are fake, like gods. But since ghosts are obviously and proveably real, believing in ghosts is just believing in reality.

But there’s never been any proof that ghosts are real! You might as well say that there’s proof that gods are real

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What if ghosts are just baby gods?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

But there’s never been any proof that ghosts are real! You might as well say that there’s proof that gods are real

Maybe you just hate women and Chinese people? It's manifestly obvious to them.

Where is your proof that green is real?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

Maybe you just hate women and Chinese people? It's manifestly obvious to them.

Where is your proof that green is real?

We can measure the wavelength of light that the vast majority of people experience as green. There is no material evidence for ghosts

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

We can measure the wavelength of light that the vast majority of people experience as green. There is no material evidence for ghosts

Is 495–570nm of light "green"? Can you prove that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

2nd Amendment posted:

Is 495–570nm of light "green"? Can you prove that?

"Green" is merely a social construct that we collectively agree upon as a society to reflect that particular band of the visible spectrum.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

"Green" is merely a social construct that we collectively agree upon as a society to reflect that particular band of the visible spectrum.

If we are going that route ghosts are definitely real since we can define infrasound around 18Hz as "ghosts".

Or we could define it any other way really. Way more popular consensus for the supernatural than a purely material word, especially if we let the dead vote (which we do with things like "green").

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Like all you've done with this bit of sophistry is demonstrate that "ghosts" are as real as "green" which puts you pretty far out into crazytown.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

2nd Amendment posted:

Like all you've done with this bit of sophistry is demonstrate that "ghosts" are as real as "green" which puts you pretty far out into crazytown.

Yes. It's the other posters who are arguing ghosts are less real than light which are the crazy ones.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

You haven’t laid out a clever rhetorical trap, you’ve retreated into “well how can you prove anything really exists, man” which might impress stoners and teens but doesn’t really impress me. There must be a basis of shared reality, otherwise there is no conversation

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean there should be a basis of shared reality, but unfortunately the symbols used for showing it are still subject to interpretation by each person.

We are all very connected and also very alone, mores the pity.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's easy to see what is real and what isn't. your green is my green

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Prove it. The green I see is also the green you could see, but it has different connotations to it. Same with every symbol.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

no thats just stupid mumbo jumbo designed so people can pretend to live in their own narcissistic realities

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

no thats just stupid mumbo jumbo designed so people can pretend to live in their own narcissistic realities

What? Saying "things can mean different things to different people" is no more narcissistic than say that Breast is a place in France as well as anatomy.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Josef bugman posted:

What? Saying "things can mean different things to different people" is no more narcissistic than say that Breast is a place in France as well as anatomy.

Saying that isn't narcissistic, but it's entirely wrong and not backed up by reality? You have wisely picked an example for "lol the same word can mean different things" that doesn't even work, because the city in France isn't named breast.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Too many people give moral weight to the concept of cringe. At best it comes from a fear of vulnerability, and at worst it's reactionary. There's nothing wrong with being lame as hell.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ragnar34 posted:

Too many people give moral weight to the concept of cringe. At best it comes from a fear of vulnerability, and at worst it's reactionary. There's nothing wrong with being lame as hell.

Wholeheartedly agree

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Saying that isn't narcissistic, but it's entirely wrong and not backed up by reality? You have wisely picked an example for "lol the same word can mean different things" that doesn't even work, because the city in France isn't named breast.

Sorry "Brest". It's meant as a funny way to show that a thing pronounced the same way can still be different and can have different meanings. Things that are the same thing can be different to different people.

The most famous instance of this is the Cross. It's a torture device, a religious symbol, an emblem of oppression and a thousand other things. You can say that it means the same thing wherever, but that isn't true. The symbolism of what it is and means is context dependent.

It's still stupid to go "no Y truly means X and we shall have no more discussion on it" because even the lack of a discussion on certain things makes things change their meaning.

Ragnar34 posted:

Agreed. As long as it isn't hurting folks.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
ITT goons debate the existence of homophones.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

What if you can't see green?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
we had this exact argument at an undergrad Physics party when a poetry major used that line on a genius girl

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

You haven’t laid out a clever rhetorical trap, you’ve retreated into “well how can you prove anything really exists, man” which might impress stoners and teens but doesn’t really impress me. There must be a basis of shared reality, otherwise there is no conversation

If you really think that is true, you should be asking "how" or "why" ghosts since they are more a part of our shared reality than the color green. Ghosts transcend culture and time. The concept of ghosts absolutely predates the concept of green, at least linguistically (and limit of my language is the limit of my world). Plus an American and a Japaner might argue whether a particular shade is "green" or "blue" but not what a ghost is. To say nothing of people who can't see green at all.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

If you really think that is true, you should be asking "how" or "why" ghosts since they are more a part of our shared reality than the color green. Ghosts transcend culture and time. The concept of ghosts absolutely predates the concept of green, at least linguistically (and limit of my language is the limit of my world). Plus an American and a Japaner might argue whether a particular shade is "green" or "blue" but not what a ghost is. To say nothing of people who can't see green at all.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes. It's the other posters who are arguing ghosts are less real than light which are the crazy ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Now yes, every culture in human history has believed in ghosts. But I read this really great Dick Dawkins quote on Reddit that explains how everyone is wrong except for me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i call bullshit on ghosts being real. theyre not

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

2nd Amendment posted:

If we are going that route ghosts are definitely real since we can define infrasound around 18Hz as "ghosts".

You took an extra step there. 18 Hz might be infrasound but who ever said infrasound = ghosts? Green is that specific wavelength range. Green doesn't mean anything except that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You took an extra step there. 18 Hz might be infrasound but who ever said infrasound = ghosts? Green is that specific wavelength range. Green doesn't mean anything except that.

It could also mean "new".